Epic Systems Corporation

Updated September 10, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 47 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 117 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

Insane workload company does well

Current Employee - Applications Coordinator  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Applications Coordinator in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Peers are excellent, good pay, fun travel budget

Cons

Insanely overworked, horrible worklife balance

Good stepping stone, but they don't respect employees.

Current Employee - Technical Services  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have a lot of autonomy to do things the way you want and some ability to focus on things that interest you.

Cons

Work-life balance is not respected at all. You will be expected to work both days of the weekend (12-hour go-live shifts) to get 1 recovery day.

Respect your employees. The fact that a recovery day requires working two weekend days is ridiculous - you routinely mention that you only hire smart people, but then expect them to make a 1-for-2 trade. You're also behind the curve on working remotely. It's possible to work successfully in any of your positions from home at least 2 days a week. Why not allow that?

Fast Paced, Friendly environment to work for

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good learning experience
    Awesome people
    Brand name

Cons

Too much work
    Rigorous domain training
    Old technology

All good

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow quickly and get experience, but expect to be worked hard

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young, smart, hardworking co-workers
    Fun, challenging, high-level of responsibility comes quickly

Cons

Project Managers travel way too much. After a year you'll be on the road 3/4 weeks, sometimes with stints as long as 5-6 weeks where you're only home on Fridays and weekends.
    You're expected to put in an extremely large amount of work if you want to move quickly.

The company's professed values are often not in line with day-to-day happenings. There needs to be stronger oversight of Team Leads to make sure they are truly representing and behaving in line with the values of the company at large.

Valuable experience, but poor work life balance.

Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent salary out of college, good professional experience, useful training and certification, smart and motivated employees, nice cafeteria.

Cons

Lots of red tape, poor work-life balance, lots of the technologies you learn are not used outside of epic.

A lot of time and training is being invested in good employees who subsequently leave. Better work life balance and stronger incentives to stay during the crucial 1-3 year mark would result in a smaller but more competent work force.

Incredible opportunity if you go in with open eyes

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Epic is a great place for motivated young professionals. If you are smart and willing to learn, work hard, and understand that you're working for a vendor in what ultimately amounts to customer service role, you will excel here and be well-compensated for it. Know coming in that this is not a 40-hour-a-week kind of place, but good outcomes are highly valued, and you'll get noticed if you're doing great work in a mature way. The work itself is meaningful, and the perks and benefits are solid.

We are decisive and aggressive in working out individuals who are not meeting expectations, which contributes to both a high-quality talent pool as well as some resentment among employees who weren't aware of their peers' performance problems.

Cons

It's a great first (or second) job, and I have learned a tremendous amount about both project and people management - however, it's not for everyone, and I can see how someone with a significant amount of corporate experience under their belt would struggle with many of Epic's more nebulous, small-company-style policies. Not the job for you if you're looking for set hours (i.e., a 9-5). You'll rise faster if you can put in a lot of time upfront; that said, it's still possible to balance a family with the PM role, and most team lead managers (middle/senior management) are married with kids.

We're no longer a small company - policies should be clearer instead of ruled by "judgment", which can vary person to person. Example: overall, Epic is generous with giving you flexible time off when you need it, but many would prefer a clear-cut lump of PTO time, vs. trying to determine how much recovery/work-away time is appropriate per situation.

Decent company that looks good on a resume

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic work experience, community involvement, opportunity to work with very intelligent people and make many friends

Cons

Very long work-hours and heavy work-place politics

Putting 22 year olds in supervisory positions without proper oversight and controls leads to favoritism and petty politics.

Technical Writer: great salary, boring work

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

For a job straight out of college with a journalism degree, this was a great opportunity. Compensation was good, starting over $40,000.00. Food/cafeteria is excellent, and a major plus. Campus is beautiful.

Cons

Boring work. Technical writing about medical software is not a career in writing, it's a career in software development. Madison, Wisconsin is cold for out-of-staters and it's a small city.

I'd say, be up front about the work. It's not exciting. It's boring. People come in with high expectations and leave quickly because they realize there is not much glamor to the gig.

Good for a start

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a first job out of college, this is a good place to go. While the technology is outdated from a developer's standpoint, you will gain skills that are useful outside of Epic. Developers are involved in the entire process, from design to implementation. They have the chance to talk with end users, although not as much as I would have liked.

Cons

Work/life balance can suck. I got married my first year in, and between my work and my wife's hours, we almost never saw each other. You feel like you aren't doing your part when you put in only 40 hours a week. There is never a shortage of work to do, but you never get in front of it either.

Although it is considered a flat company, there is a definite management structure. Middle management has a hard time, since team leads are responsible for both their team and doing their own development as well. It can be hard to find someone to reach out to, since everyone is pretty busy every day.

They are working toward using more advanced technology, but the software when I left was being written in Cache and VB6, languages that had their prime years ago. They also have a number of reports and "tools" built using Microsoft Excel. Change management was difficult to follow, depending on the work you did.

BI Developers were glorified report writers. I did very little outside of writing Crystal Reports. I was told when I started that I would also be doing some database management and development, but only a handful of us did any of that.

Get rid of the flat label. You have too many people in a very corporate structure for that to work any more. Give middle management responsibility over people, and hire more devs to take up their slack. Invest in your employees and you may retain more.

Good experience but it is difficult to stay with Epic for too long

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have nice co-workers, the campus is beautiful, there is a nice food court on campus where lunch is made daily and is available pretty cheap, the pay is good, you can wear whatever you like, and you get an office instead of a cubicle (this can actually be a bit frustrating when you know someone can answer your question quickly but have to email them instead because they are in a different office).

Cons

I often end up working long hours, the atmosphere - despite the casual dress code - feels like a high pressure environment, people tend to be stressed / overworked in general, and there is a LOT of process / lack of intimacy because it is such a large company.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!