Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
799 reviews filtered by

1. Decent company, not so great culture

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

Good place to start
    High starting salary
    Low cost of living

Cons

Bad work-life balance
    Weather is not the greatest (there are two seasons: winter and construction)

OK if you don't have anything else or you like to work in VB6

Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Pay is good, especially if your manager likes you it could go very high.
    - If you are good at explaining what you're doing to your manager and don't try to overachieve you can have a life working at Epic
    - Food is actually good and cheap
    - You have some freedom in the work you do, but it's very dependent on your manager.
    - Most people are nice and friendly and will help you if you ask.
    - Helping healthcare is sometime nice.

Cons

- Management only looks at some metrics, which uses to push people to do more, often causing problems.
    - VB6 is probably one of the worst language you can work on at this scale. Epic is way to big to be using a language which was intended for quick projects.
    - Some very special people are entitled to work in C#, and this makes it even worse for you.
    - Code base is terrible, full of hacks, dead code, magical constants (both VB6 and C# are affected, sadly), despite the two round of code review mandatory for every check-in.
    - Senior people, who built the horrible things you work on in VB6, are now working in C#, making your future life hell.
    - This depends on your team, but you will often just maintain an old code base, fixing bugs and praying for a project.
    - No unit testing, integration testing or any automated testing for what it matters (for most teams at least). Which means that things breaks easily and often.
    - Very fragile toolchain. Even doing easy things such as backporting fixes to other versions takes hours and needs manual testing.
    - Depending on your team you get to work some nights or weekends (and you are almost forced to stay).
    - Supervisors will throw as much as work as they can, because their supervisor is asking them to do so.
    - None of the problems I encountered during my day job are even vaguely interesting on a CS standpoint.
    - Did I mention VB6 is horrible?
    - People leave left and right, making building a network inside the company very hard.
    - For the same reason a lot of projects lack owners. A lot of code is actually unmaintained.
    - Most of the upper management doesn't code, and has never written code inside the company. Most of the managers don't have a clue about the code base they're managing.
    - Promotions is based on how much you fit in Epic horrible culture, rather than merit.

Ditch VB6. Seriously, now is too late. Actually encourage good code and coding standars. Unit testing.

It's worth it if you know what you're in for

Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is great, and benefits are very good for the most part. The work itself is meaningful and interesting. The campus is fantastic, and those working there are very bright.

Cons

There's only 2 weeks of vacation, plus holidays on top of that. It's important to set limits for yourself; otherwise, they'll keep pushing you to take more onto your plate.

Keep working to improve (perceived or real) issues with the software. The customer support model is great and should continue as is. There is a high turnover rate; some of the issues Epic is facing right now could be helped by retaining more people.

5. Still figuring it out...

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good coworkers, challenging

Cons

You feel replaceable, because you are

Allow employees to grow into new roles better

Great job, if you make it one

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very independent - do what you think is best, push against the processes you don't like, make new ones. You have an incredible freedom to run your own ship. This is the best perk.

Pretty great salary for the first real job of a fresh college grad.

The campus is really neat. It feels like one of those silly perks that you wouldn't care about, but it does make a difference.

Getting the whole company together for staff meeting once a month is a great idea.

If you feel like moving on later, SQL is a hell of a lot more transferable than Cache.

Epic tries to match you to your strengths. I applied as a TS and they offered me BID out of the blue, which plays a lot better to my skill set. As a BID, I was strongly encouraged to transfer to a different team, refused because I didn't think I would like the work, and they allowed me to stay on my current team (which I quite like) without any repercussions.

Cons

It's a crap shoot how good a certain internal process or bit of documentation will be, and while Epic makes a big hullabaloo about being an integrated EMR, internally it's still got a lot of knowledge sharing problems and between-app redundancies.

BID's have it nicer than most other roles, so sometimes you feel pretty guilty talking to your peers.

The independence means you have to be the right kind of person for it. If you want to passively come in, work, clock out, this isn't the place for you. You're expected to use that freedom to accomplish a lot and to seek out opportunities without being told. If you want a lot of direction for your job, Epic's not the place for you.

The cowboy nature of the company has a dark side - there's a lot of variability for how good your TL/work/team will be. I strongly suspect this "get high performance for objective metrics, let everything else sort itself out" attitude is part of Epic's serious diversity problem.

Don't over-fetishize quantitative data and agency ratings - sometimes the most important things are more intangible.

Try to foster dev communication with TS/IS. Both sides have a lot of knowledge worth sharing with the others.

7. Technical services

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

it's full of younger professionals and Madison is a great city in the summer

Cons

they expect you to work really long hours.

fast-paced company where your work experience, growth and type of projects are based on your effort, merit and hours

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunities that would rarely be offered elsewhere to recent college grads. You can lead your own team of analysts, develop new processes, impact the software, and meet incredibly successful and interesting customers.
    Great team work community and support--if you ask for it. You need to be able to push yourself to learn, deal with ambiguity and recognize when you need to ask for help and support.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of the opportunities are based on your boss (team lead) and what he/she thinks of you. If you don't have a strong relationship with your TL and the other TLs in your application, it can hinder your growth and your opportunities to work on the projects you are interested in. Often times, you can be great at your customer work, but have low visibility internally which leads to less promotions.

9. Good people, good food, lots of work

Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culinary staff are incredible; lunch is sold at cost and is always amazing. I just had a delicious shrimp dish for $4 the other day!
    Almost everyone I've met at Epic has been incredibly friendly and wonderful to work with, always willing to help me out.
    I personally agree with all of the company's goals and mantras, so it's easy for me to follow them (for example, keep commitments)
    I was able to start doing "real" work very quickly

Cons

After moving here, everyone I know is from Epic. Everywhere I go, I see Epic people.
    There's a pretty steep learning curve, and that can be challenging and frustrating
    I started doing "real" work very quickly and don't always feel like I have the necessary knowledge to do things well

Keep doing what you're doing. Epic's a great company and I'm very pleased to be working here.

10. Intelligent staff but lack of work-life balance

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are young, intelligent, and very driven. The travel perks are also a great bonus.

Cons

Often working extensive hours especially when you are at your customer. Very challenging to have work-life balance.

Considering the hours employees put in there should be more paid time off and larger customer teams.

11. A good all around company

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, lots of freedom of development, a lot of individual ownership

Cons

Sometimes can fairly stressful, I don't always agree with management

Epic Systems Corporation Photos