Epic Systems Corporation

Updated December 18, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living (in 53 reviews)

• Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 136 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Just know what you're getting into.

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, excellent benefits (although you'll be hard pressed to fit in all of the time off you're entitled to). Beautiful campus to work on, no cubicles, and great food available in the campus cafeteria/food courts. Probably the best thing I can say is that Epic will give you a shot at a great career, no matter what your background. They take smart, talented people and give them a chance to succeed, even if your education and work experience don't make you an "ideal" candidate.

Cons

Part of what makes Epic great is also a big part of what's wrong with the company. As I said before, they take talented people from all sorts of backgrounds and give them a shot. In other words, they throw a lot of smart, talented people at the wall to see what sticks. While I think this could be an excellent career for the right type of person, the workload, long hours, constant travel, and high levels of stress and responsibility tends to cause a lot of people to burn out quickly. They give you a lot of training, but if you've never had anything to do with Project Management, prepare for trial by fire. I'd never so much as seen a project plan when I was hired, but was still expected to excel immediately and handle a significant portion of a couple of multi-million dollar installs with a great deal of autonomy. If I'd had experience, or been someone with an aggressive, type-A personality, I might have stayed longer. It's a great place to work if you really love the job, but if you think the work itself is "just OK," you'll soon find yourself overwhelmed and bored at the same time.

Be more honest about your expectations. When I interviewed, I was told that your average Project Manager worked about 50 hours per week and traveled about half the time. In reality, most people in my position were on the road about 75% of the time and put in about 70 hours per week. Let prospective employees know that the job is fast-paced, stressful, and full of curve balls. Also, I felt like the HR department pulled a bait-and-switch on me during the hiring process. I originally applied as a Technical Writer, a job for which I was much more prepared coming out of college. However, the HR department immediately tacked on "RFP Coordinator" as a possibility. By the time my phone interview rolled around, that changed to Project Manager. When I had my in-person interviews, it was made fairly clear that the Project Manager was really the position for which they were interested in me. If I had been hired for the job Epic was advertising and for which they brought me in in the first place, I'd probably still be there, because my skills, training, and personality are better suited to the tasks required. Instead, I was thrown into something for which I was not prepared because the company simply needed bodies to support their constant growth. In a lot of cases, that strategy worked out, but the job just wasn't a great fit for me. If you've got the experience and/or the personality, you can move up the ladder quickly, and you can build a great career here. I hold no hard feelings for Epic, but if you're a prospective employee, you really need to know what you're walking into before accepting a position. Otherwise, you're likely to be looking for another job in a year or so.

No loyalty to employees

Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits/401k are nice
    - Food court and Casseiopeia cafeteria is good, but overrated. Was getting more expensive and crowded when I left, and I heard it is worse now
    - Co workers were generally pretty awesome to work with

Cons

- Pay structure is a mystery. Whoever kisses up the best usually has the best ranking, and thus, the best pay
    - Upper management tries to manage it as a small company, despite the fact it is not a small company anymore
    - Monthly staff meetings were brutal
    - CEO has no work-life balance (90 hour work weeks) and expects her employees to do the same
    - Management will drop you very fast if you make one mistake. Expect zero loyalty from coworkers, especially your TL. Do not trust your TL.
    - Tries to come off as the "little guy" against all those big companies, yet it is not. CEO is a lobbyist (who pushed for the whole meaningful use thing).
    - Industry is a bubble propped up by the government spending at the moment. It will burst eventually yet Epic doesn't seem to realize this and keeps expanding and spending money on frivolous things (like a new auditorium that is used 12 times per year).

More transparency and honesty. More feedback to employees./

Interview too relax

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seems like a good company to work for

Cons

Confusing and long exams. Weird recruiting process.

N/A

On paper, a great place to work. It gets monotonous quickly.

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

Excellent compensation. Great food. Very quirky - a pro for some, con for others.

Cons

60+ hours per week just to get by. Co-workers tend to have dominating personalities ... maybe from the stress.

No development opportunities - bad first job, but good for career switchers

Current Employee - Technical Coordinator in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Coordinator in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Cassiopeia food is usually good. It's getting more expensive and crowded - be prepared to stand in line for fifteen minutes.
    - Health insurance. It costs $60/month and covers anything
    - Decent pay. I worked at a bank before the department was shuttered, and I was paid more there. But this job is less volatile and is pretty close in base.

Cons

- Each time I travel, I fly out Sunday morning and fly back Wednesday late at night. Count it up - one day weekend many weeks.
    - No professional development.
    Programmers - good luck finding anything asking for Cache.
    IS - you don't learn much Project Management from a bunch of other kids eight months out of college.
    TS - I hope you enjoy sifting through poorly maintained Wikis all day.
    - You live in Madison and commute roughly 90 minutes a day, or you live in Verona/Middleton and have no social life. There isn't a right answer here.
    - One of the best things about the bank was the ability to advance. Once you get thrown into a box at Epic, you stay there until you leave or beg your TL to try out another box. What people find, once they get what they want, is that the four people with titles would rather churn and burn the livestock than keep any box livable.

Developers here tend to be low to midgrade, but they definitely have the best employment if they stick around.

The prompt above says "Consider discussing: promotions, personal growth, perks."

So, where are these? How are you motivating me to stay? You aren't, so I can only assume you don't care. No one seems excited to go to work - you've got a vibrant bunch of kids with big ideas and dreams. It's a bit monstrous how you systemically manage to squash the excitement from so many people.

Good job for the salary but not much else

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time

Pros

Very competitive salary, very nice food and drinks, comfortable office and easy parking, lots of conferences, presentations and guest lectures. Some members of my team were intelligent and helpful [others sabotaged my work to make themselves look better]

Cons

Obsolete technology is a problem when you interview afterwards. Very heavy workload. The technical assignments are not very challenging but are difficult and time consuming because (1) the software is very old and monolithic and (2) Epic uses the most complex software development cycle I have ever seen [Going through PQA is truly a good exercise, but I spent too much time chasing pedantic issues that just ended up getting dropped]

We were constantly told that Epic is the only software company that has a casual environment and dress code. I felt that almost everyone knew this was a lie and they should not have emphasized it as much as they do. We were also constantly told that the technology was *not* obsolete and the database is very fast. But again, the facts simply do not support this. The database performance studies we were quoted were very biased and not conclusive at all.

I might be the only one to say this next point: I felt the training was way too much considering that I used only a small part of it on the actual job. I resented all the personal time I spent studying for Epic exams while my colleagues were learning modern, more efficient technologies. I probably would have failed out of Epic except I saw people cheating on the exams. After that, even my TL mentioned how much my grades improved.

The exams were the main reason I left. Now I have a better job doing EMRs where the training is much better with more reasonable testing procedures. And the weird thing is that I work fewer hours but I deliver more and better solutions than I ever did with Epic.

A very supportive community to guide you through challenging work.

Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, exciting work, room for growth

Cons

Hard to focus and be inspired

Ease up on the pace and expected hours. Quality more important than quality in terms of work hours.

Great place

Current Employee - Varied in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Varied in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I came in with work experience, thinking I'd stay a couple years to pay down debt, and I've been here well over that. While not perfect, it's been a great experience. It's important work to improve healthcare, we do it quickly, and with minimal politics. The people are super bright. I like living in Madison too - it's a nice place to raise kids and a progressive community.

Cons

We have a reputation for working too many hours. It depends on the role, but I hear the average is ~45, which is consistent with what I observe here. I'm probably at 50-55, and that's comfortable for me - it's what I did at my last job too. Heavy travel roles tend to be higher, because of the travel.

Looks great in the rearview

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesomely large raises
    High travel volume
    Low cost of living
    90% of the people you interact with internally are great

Cons

Wisconsin
    Middle management can be undeniably incompetent and chase out the better part of a team before senior management notices
    Project Managers are seen as expendable (and replaceable) and treated as such
    Innocent bystanders will be blamed so that the company and/or manager save face, both internally and in front of the customer

The new implementation leadership is a HUGE move in the right direction.

Software Development Intern

Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Solid pay
    - Flexible work hours
    - Share an office with another person
    - Cheap and excellent food
    - Great intern HR team - they organize many events

Cons

- No one will return for a full-time position
    - Not as big a name as Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc.
    - Spend a lot of time learning Epic code
    - Too much freedom for non-creative projects
    - Full-time developers are too busy to help
    - Madison is suburban
    - Very nerdy culture
    - Housing is always under construction

People work here for money, and nothing else. At least try to change this.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos