Epic Systems Corporation

Updated September 10, 2014
3.5

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 47 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 117 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

253 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Entry Level Technical Service Enginneer at Epic

Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company tries really hard to make this a great place to work. Lots of nice perks, especially to a fresh out of college individual. Salary seemed generous for enetry level position with no prior experiance.

Cons

The work is pretty boring. This in combination with hiring many people who are still trying to figure out what they want to do leads to high turnover. The company also has a mildly cultish geek worshiping culture. Be wary of any koolaid offered.

See cons. Overall great place to work.

Great Intern Expierence

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Received a lot of responsibility running my own team of interns and collaborating various teams to build a new product. Able to significantly influence the project with our teams opinions, and the final product has been passed on to final development before shipping to customers. Fantastic team to work with

Cons

Location in Wisconsin is off putting, Can be difficult to get recommendations from team members for future job search due to Epics policy.

A Fantastic Internship Experience

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As a software development intern, they will ask a lot of you and you will be expected to perform to the best of your abilities. While here, outside of your title (which no one ever sees unless you tell them), there is nothing to distinguish you from a full time employee, and you are treated as such. Sometimes this can feel overwhelming, but in the end, I found it to be a great learning experience. You will be given a full project that you take almost complete control of and direct. You are not given busywork and the culture towards interns is extremely friendly. I received assistance everywhere I looked for it and then some. Though a lot is expected, there are tons of resources at your disposal to make sure you succeed. In fact, the software developers here are possibly the most well-rounded and fun group of software developers I have ever met.

Outside of work, Madison is a fantastic place to spend a summer. There are tons of things to do... if you are bored here in the summer it is your own fault. Also, Epic puts a lot of time into planning and coordinating events for all the Interns to attend, from Paintball to Amusement Parks, so you will definitely have a lot of fun while you are here.

Cons

I don't think there are any huge cons. The only thing I can think of is that though there are a lot of resources available and everyone is extremely helpful, I found that you had to actively search for the help in order to receive it. There was not much training before you were given your project and expected to start work on it, which is both a positive and a negative.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging

Former Employee - Implementation Project Manager  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They provide lots of opportunities to learn and grow your career. They compensate well and have excellent benefits, including an amazing sabbatical program for every 5 years you stay with the company. They try to have fun and make the campus an enjoyable place to be. The CEO is very involved in the company's day-to-day activities, which can be a pro or a con...depending on the situation.

Cons

They pay well, but they expect a lot; the hours and travel (depending on the position) can be very demanding and often don't allow for a good work-life balance. Most employees have the constant feeling of never being caught-up with their workload...it's a constant struggle of re-prioritizing to handle the biggest issue at the time. It's a work hard/play hard mentality, and I felt that sometimes the "work hard" aspect was not justified. It's very discouraging to be directed to put a lot of time and effort into something only to be told later that it wasn't actually necessary.

Work with employees and customers to gain a better understanding of what actual issues are. Employees can get jaded and ambivalent if a customer always has really "critical" issues...the sense of urgency is lost when someone cries wolf too often...and working at a break-neck pace for an entire project is a recipe for burnout and job dissatisfaction.

Great first job to gain experience quickly

Current Employee - Implementation Services  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great campus - themed office buildings, great [and reasonable] food made by our own culinary staff
    People are invested and willing to roll up their sleeves to solve problems
    Sabbatical program - every 5 years get a month off and a stipend for airfare/lodging to go to a country you haven't been to
    Responsibility right off the bat - for customer-facing roles, you are assigned as a point person for your area pretty quickly

Cons

work-life balance is a challenge for some - have to know when it's OK to say no or delegate
    Have to live in Madison, WI

Fun, educational, fulfilling internship so good you won't want to leave.

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern  in  Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You may have never heard of Epic before, but this is one of the best internships you could possibly get. The pay/benefits are amazing for an intern. I was making about what I would make as a full-time developer, with housing provided for. I could even invest in a 401(k).

As an intern, you are assigned a project and a team. Every project is some kind of prototyping, from app development to potential enhancements to their core software. Almost every project lets the interns design and develop the project from the ground up, with little to no interference. Despite being prototypes, a large amount of the projects are incorporated into Epic very quickly, some even being included in the next release. You will feel like your work is important, potentially life-saving even, despite being just an intern! You are also given an office (usually shared with one other intern until they can build more offices).

You will work closely with full-time developers, QA, and implementation. The heirarchy of Epic is pretty flat, so you will get serveral opportunities to present your work to higher-ups (including the head of R&D and sometimes the president). Your work may be featured at UGM in front of thousands of users as well.

The campus is amazing. There were a few times I was walking around and literally felt stunned. It looks like an artist's rendition or architect's dream project. The buildings are themed, and they are building additions to campus constantly. Additionally, they have several places to get food, all of which are great. They clearly label vegetarian and allergenic foods, and don't skimp on the quality of the food. Vegetarians/vegans can expect equality in the quality of the food.

A main complaint I have heard is being overworked or feeling like you have to work long hours. While this is definitely a problem some may face, it is also generally avoidable from my experience. If you use your time well and are clear about expectations, there is no need to come in weekends or stay late (except the occasional bug right before presentations). You do have the freedom to set your own (reasonable) schedule, and they really trust their employees.

There are intern events to get to know the other interns, which will make your summer fly by. The interns generally are all housed together (if they don't choose to find their own housing) so you'll get to know everyone very well.

From what I can tell, the interns generally go through a standard application and interview process, which means if they plan on offering you a full-time position after your internship (which they generally do), the process is short.

Epic's future looks very bright. Don't expect this company to go anywhere soon.

Cons

The training was barebones (as a 12 week intern, they want you getting as much done on your project as possible), which is my only complaint of the entire internship. It was enough to get our project done, but our week of training pales in comparison to the few months a full-time employee recieves.

If you are incapable of managing your time and deciding your own schedule, it will be hard to not feel overwhelmed. Epic will do everything they can to help you learn time management (speakers, books, etc) but if you're not motivated it won't help.

You guys really make the interns feel important. My only suggestion is to have a few more classes about how to actually start your project, as well as potentially having assigned sit-down times with mentors and TLs at the beginning of the internship to discuss exactly what the interns will need to get started on the project. This is different for each project (programming an iOS app vs. using Visual Studio to develop for web) but just a few hours to help get started can take away a lot of pain and wasted time from interns.

Incredible internship experience

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Unbelievably impressive campus, great food, great city. Interesting and challenging work that makes a real-world impact. Great ownership of your project from start to finish, with support from a mentor and a team lead. Fantastic intern events outside of work. Could not have asked for a better internship experience.

Cons

I really have no complaints. Epic sets the bar very high as a place to work.

Continue to emphasize the food and the fun campus. The little day-to-day details are what separate this company from the rest. Don't stray from the culture that's been established.

Good Experience for an Intern

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and work environment. I picked up experience in several areas that I will definitely be able to use in the future.

Cons

Not exactly a con but most projects are very challenging and it's very easy to get in over your head very quickly.

beautiful campus, interesting work, fun city (Madison), young employees

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

Pros

flat structure, all staff meetings monthly where execs keep everyone in the loop, subsidized food, interesting and meaningful work, everyone gets their own office

interesting to note is that the company isn't public (and won't ever go that way - it's a company principal) so the execs are really focused on improving the product and the company rather than worrying about the stock value which is pretty cool for such a large (and rapidly growing) company

Cons

very far from downtown Madison which is where most will want to live

Crazy culture, crappy products

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, lovely and spacious campus.

Cons

1. Working with their product. They use (or used while I was there) ancient technology. VB6 etc
    2. It is expected to work long hours/weekends.
    3. You are made to sign a non-compete.

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!