Epic Systems Corporation

Updated February 26, 2015
3.6

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living (in 53 reviews)

• Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 136 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

285 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on meaningful projects. You get to work with very talented co-workers. Private offices, great campus.

Cons

Expectations of everyone is really high, which can be a positive and a negative.

They pay well, but they work you hard. Excellent coworkers!

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing, extremely intelligent coworkers.

The company really cares about putting out a quality product and about taking very good care of its customers.

Feels good to work in healthcare industry and feel like I'm making a difference.

Cons

They work you very, very hard. Work-life balance is tricky.

If you don't get along with your immediate boss, you are in trouble.

Many roles (though not all of them) require a lot of travel (more than 50% of the time).

Really good place for recent grad

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful and challenging work.
    - They are constantly growing so there is always room for career advancement within the company.
    - Excellent benefits (especially their health insurance).
    - Very competitive compensation comparing to other large software companies in Seattle and Northern California. Keep in mind that the living cost in Madison is a lot cheaper though.

Cons

- Madison is not a very exciting city. Its winter also is really tough.
    - Working with old/out-dated technology like VB6 and Cache.
    - Work/life balance can be worse depending on your team/team lead.

Stressful, but paid accordingly

Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent for a job that requires no former experience or a specific degree. There are some managerial positions. If you are smart and work hard, you will do well here. All training is provided, and you will be working with a lot of intelligent people.

You do get your own office, or you may share with another person. The campus is beautiful and artistic and fun to explore. There are lots of other perks, such as free juice, dual 26 monitors, all the best equipment you could want for the job.

Madison is a great college town.

Cons

There is no room for growth. Sure, there's managerial positions, but you'll be doing the exact same work as someone who just started, with the added stress of managing 3+ fresh college grads. The language Cache (Mumps) is in-house and archaic and no other company uses it. The transition to a more modern language is slow, at least when I was employed there.

There's a lot of company kool aid. Lots of spirit, lots of flashy shiny toys everywhere (swingsets, slides indoors), all covering up the cracks underneath. The high turnover means that long term employees are uncommon.

You are salaried, meaning you'll work 40+ hours a week. Few people work only 40.

If you have no other offers, it's not an altogether terrible job. You'll get paid a good amount as a recent grad, even moreso if you're a developer. But I wouldn't recommend it if you have alternatives.

Less turnover!

Implementation Services/Project Manager

Former Employee - Implementation Services/Project Manager in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Implementation Services/Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of travel, face to face with clients and decent benefits after 1 year.

Cons

The home location is Wisconsin and very little flexibility in work independence.

Stop running the company like a small start-up company.

Great company with an outstanding work culture and fun-filled atmosphere. Incredible people all over!

Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can do what you want to do in terms of challenging yourselves, something not many companies can boast about. People are very friendly and approachable regardless of their tenure and position. Lots of flexibility in terms of time-off. Good compensation, vibrant atmosphere, amazing architectures where you can spend days and weeks just appreciating how much thought process might have gone in constructing some of those buildings that are intended to increase the productivity of employees who work there. A great international sabbatical (paid vacation in addition to the regular vacation days) program that allows you to explore almost any countries in the world, with paid expenses!

The top leadership knows very well what they are doing and they make sure to regularly share important things with the employees.

Did I say Epic has one of the most amazing set of culinary staff and one of the most diverse set of cuisines they offer for lunch!!!

Cons

Still working on buildings and trying to get everyone their own office.

Just keep doing what you have been doing for years!

Still figuring it out...

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good coworkers, challenging

Cons

You feel replaceable, because you are

Allow employees to grow into new roles better

Good pay if you're willing to devote your life to the company.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary for a job fresh out of undergrad.
    Except for vacation time the benefits are quite good.
    Beautiful campus with great food that is also quite cheap.
    Nice signing bonus.
    As a developer there's a chance you could have a private office starting out.

Cons

Very limited vacation time.
    Lengthy training period.
    To have any hope of raises/advancement you have to work very long hours.
    Most of the work will be with very obscure and or obsolete technologies(Visual Basic 6 and MUMPS). A very lucky few will get to work with more modern things like C#, iOS, or Android, but everyone needs to work with MUMPS.
    Epic likes to present itself to its employees as a very open company, but many processes are so opaque(especially advancement) that they breed paranoia.
    Very high turnover rate. Software developers probably have the lowest turnover, but don't be surprised if many the people you start with are gone after a year.

OK if you don't have anything else or you like to work in VB6

Current Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Pay is good, especially if your manager likes you it could go very high.
    - If you are good at explaining what you're doing to your manager and don't try to overachieve you can have a life working at Epic
    - Food is actually good and cheap
    - You have some freedom in the work you do, but it's very dependent on your manager.
    - Most people are nice and friendly and will help you if you ask.
    - Helping healthcare is sometime nice.

Cons

- Management only looks at some metrics, which uses to push people to do more, often causing problems.
    - VB6 is probably one of the worst language you can work on at this scale. Epic is way to big to be using a language which was intended for quick projects.
    - Some very special people are entitled to work in C#, and this makes it even worse for you.
    - Code base is terrible, full of hacks, dead code, magical constants (both VB6 and C# are affected, sadly), despite the two round of code review mandatory for every check-in.
    - Senior people, who built the horrible things you work on in VB6, are now working in C#, making your future life hell.
    - This depends on your team, but you will often just maintain an old code base, fixing bugs and praying for a project.
    - No unit testing, integration testing or any automated testing for what it matters (for most teams at least). Which means that things breaks easily and often.
    - Very fragile toolchain. Even doing easy things such as backporting fixes to other versions takes hours and needs manual testing.
    - Depending on your team you get to work some nights or weekends (and you are almost forced to stay).
    - Supervisors will throw as much as work as they can, because their supervisor is asking them to do so.
    - None of the problems I encountered during my day job are even vaguely interesting on a CS standpoint.
    - Did I mention VB6 is horrible?
    - People leave left and right, making building a network inside the company very hard.
    - For the same reason a lot of projects lack owners. A lot of code is actually unmaintained.
    - Most of the upper management doesn't code, and has never written code inside the company. Most of the managers don't have a clue about the code base they're managing.
    - Promotions is based on how much you fit in Epic horrible culture, rather than merit.

Ditch VB6. Seriously, now is too late. Actually encourage good code and coding standars. Unit testing.

Good people, good food, lots of work

Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culinary staff are incredible; lunch is sold at cost and is always amazing. I just had a delicious shrimp dish for $4 the other day!
    Almost everyone I've met at Epic has been incredibly friendly and wonderful to work with, always willing to help me out.
    I personally agree with all of the company's goals and mantras, so it's easy for me to follow them (for example, keep commitments)
    I was able to start doing "real" work very quickly

Cons

After moving here, everyone I know is from Epic. Everywhere I go, I see Epic people.
    There's a pretty steep learning curve, and that can be challenging and frustrating
    I started doing "real" work very quickly and don't always feel like I have the necessary knowledge to do things well

Keep doing what you're doing. Epic's a great company and I'm very pleased to be working here.

Epic Systems Corporation Photos