Epic Systems Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.6
Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay specially in a low cost state/city (in 53 reviews)

• The work environment is incredibly relaxed (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no sense of work-life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Many work long hours to avoid letting items slip through the cracks as they will hear about this relentlessly in feedback sessions (in 86 reviews)

1. Work hard play hard

Current Employee - Texhnical Services in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Texhnical Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, beautiful living, fun coworkers, and a mental challenge. Private company with ethical and quality standards / integrity. Inspiring female CEO who is nerdy but relatable.

Cons

Work up to 50 hr/week, plus at least a 30 min commute to live near downtown Madison. Requires great investment of effort to do well

Advice to Management

Keep hiring. The work needs to be spread out among more of us to keep the daily schedule manageable.

Not bad, not good

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The salary and benefits are quite good for the majority of roles, especially since it's the first real job for many new hires (as it was for me). - I believe every salaried employee has an office, possibly shared with another person. There are no cubicles. - The campus' landscaping is nice. There's a little forest, a stream, plenty of interesting plants and flowers, a multi-purpose field, a lake, running trails, etc. And there are fun little touches scattered around campus, like a photorealistic painting of an orangutan on the wall of some outdoor stairs. None of this is necessary, but it is nice, and it helps keep Epic from seeming too cold and corporate. - Almost all employees are bright and helpful. I say almost, but I never actually worked with anyone really dickish. - The internal culture has a young, geeky bent. I remember seeing Arrested Development references in company-wide presentations and memes inserted into company-wide announcements. The newest building is Harry Potter themed, for god's sake. - Building on the previous point, if you're a recent grad coming to work here making friends is not hard, as there are literally thousands of people around your age. - Epic really does put a good product first. The culture of helping customers deliver the best care is repeatedly emphasized and not just a show when customers are around. - The food in the cafeterias (although I never ate at the newest one, which opened June 2015) is much, much better than it has to be. I would compare it to a restaurant with entrees in the $10-15 range, which is rather remarkable when you're paying $3-$5. The culinary staff manages to be both inventive and consistent, turning out competently-prepared stuff that isn't super inventive (e.g. roast chicken, green beans almondine, and mashed parsnips) and occasionally throwing down a few plates of avant-garde wizardry (once, I swear, there was a dish with lobster, shiitake mushrooms, whey, daikon, and dashi). They are great. It's the one thing about the place I really miss. - Madison is really not a bad city. It's usually described as the "Austin of Wisconsin", which isn't so far off-base. Some people complain that it's very white, which is only true if you stick around the capital area. Fitchburg (which is a few miles south of the capital), for example, is not very white.

Cons

- The work is dull. I spent all of my time fixing little bugs, which requires navigating Epic's complicated internal structure and writing everything in M, a really unpleasant language that no other company uses. This was the dealbreaker for me, because it meant every damn day was just 8 or 9 hours of uninteresting work. It actually takes quite a bit of work to understand the internal structure necessary to do dev work, and the kicker is it's mostly stuff that will never translate to any other job. Put bluntly, I looked around and saw nobody in the company doing work I wanted to do, so leaving (after a little less than a year) was an easy decision. This was far and away the biggest factor in my leaving. It's great to do challenging, interesting work for 50-60+ hours a week. Doing boring things day-in day-out for 40 hours a week is a nightmare. - The culture requires working hard. This would be fine if the work wasn't so damn boring. My boss criticized me several times for only working 40-42 hours a week (not counting lunch), and there's a sense that the more time you log (literally, you log how much time you spent on what each day, in 15-minute increments) the better you're doing. I hear it's worse in TS and IS roles because they're customer-facing. - As a new hire, you are at the mercy of your TL (your immediate superior). Epic makes a proud point of hiring technical people to be managers, so in practice if you're a software developer or whatever and hang around for a few years there's a good chance you'll end up a TL, even if you're perhaps not great at supervising people. If you do not get along with your TL, working at Epic will be unpleasant, as there is really no way to switch, and they control what work you do. - Most people leave within a few years for the reasons mentioned above, and it's not very common to find someone who actually plans to build a future with the company. - I was lucky enough to avoid a customer-facing role (e.g. TS, IS), but those can be pretty awful with a bad (or even just difficult) customer, since Epic really sells itself on customer service. In practice you may have to be very patient with someone who has not paid attention and is very angry. A lot.

Advice to Management

The kicker is I don't really know how to make working here any better. The internal structure of Epic's software isn't changing any time soon, yet that's a big part of why the work is unpleasant. And TS/IS are always going to have to deal with demanding customers as customer service is a big part of what Epic sells.

3. Implementation Services

Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, interesting work, great coworkers

Cons

Expected to work 50-60 minimum hours per week

Good company for a first job

Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, great people, flat management structure, and excellent food. Lots of opportunities for young employees to get involved with big projects.

Cons

Easy to fall into a poor work/life balance

6. BID - If you're on a good team you're good

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Good team means work with cool people on things that are cool Salary is chill Food isn't bad

Cons

If you're on a bad team that has a lot of really mean people try to wait it out and ask for a team change around your 1 year mark

Advice to Management

Make sure that your TLs are good managers, no one really need them to be the best programmers

7. Kickass internship

Former Intern - & Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Intern - & Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing campus and architecture -- the landscapes and gardens, individually themed buildings, and art everywhere added variety to my day. Great and affordable food, free coffee and juice A great intern program, with housing figured out and occasional intern events. Good work-life balance

Cons

Management and scope of intern projects is largely left up to individual project mentors. Some projects had significantly more or less structure, workload, and direction, and this was largely left up to chance They a healthy image, and caffeinated soda is distressingly hard to find.

Advice to Management

Corporate culture occasionally feels a little bit preachy. Work on that? Also,

Epic, all too Epic...

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Introduction to Software Implementation - you will learn the basics of software implementation and get exposure to project management, business analysis, testing and training. Epic will not give you industry standard knowledge in these areas but with some personal initiative, you can give yourself a framework for later specialization and career prospects 2. Autonomy - Most people are pretty busy at Epic and that includes your TL. This means that so long as you don't make your coworkers or customers unhappy, you won't have much management overhead to worry about. This is obviously dependent on who your boss is though. 3. Future career prospects - Barring you enjoy working in healthcare IT, having Epic experience and healthcare knowledge will open doors for you later on to opportunities with better companies. I love my current non-consultant job and working at Epic played a huge role in getting me an interview with them. 4. The Experience - working at Epic is not a job, or a career, but an experience. The blending of the college/work lifestyle shows itself inside and outside the office: be it from traveling all across the US, working a ton of hours, living in the strange state of Wisconsin, being bombarded by corporate kool-aid or from all the partying/drinking/smoking that accompanies the lives of most Epic IS, you will not forget it. To this day, my ex-Epic friends and I still talk about how crazy it was working there. That being said, it's a con as well...

Cons

1. Bad Quality of Life - while the work hard/play hard mentality is fun for a few years, it eventually grates on you to the point of exhaustion. Epic will throw as much work as you are willing to take and soon enough you will yourself constantly on the road, drinking at airport bars, getting home at 1 am on a Friday morning and needing to be in the office at 7 for an East Coast customer meeting. Combine this with having little time to adjust to life in Madison which includes making friends and having relationships with others, the quality of life gets real bad. It may not be important at first, but by years 2-3 most people realize this and quit the company. This exasperates those issues for people who stay as they will constantly see their limited group of friends dwindle and leave Epic/Madison. Last days at Epic become points of celebration with final emails typically being scribes against the job that had taken over their lives. Some of the more fatalistic even kept those emails for reference... 2. Shadowy Management Structure - Although Epic claims to have a flat management structure, this isn't true. At some point in their career, the best employees get tapped for internal projects and roles where they are introduced to the hierarchy of Epic that does exist in each division, although not publicized. You'll find yourself in meetings discussing issues that are never talked about at Division Meetings but are being 'looked at' by leadership. Unfortunately the lack of public structure makes decision making challenging and uncoordinated contributing to Epic's kindergarten-like atmosphere. 3. The culture - Epic is a shamelessly culture driven company and that "I want to change the world" Millennial kool-aid gets sweeter every year. After a few years at Epic you'll realize the breakdown of employees: 1. the kool-aid drinkers who think Judy is immortal and are promoted to the roles of TL/IC, 2. the reasonable culture warriors who like Epic but are willing to admit its faults despite never being able to rise above the position of AM themselves, and 3. the cool people aka the critical thinkers who see Epic for what it is, have their own ideas, and leave the company at the 1-3 year mark. 4. Smart, but not Intelligent - I met only a handful of people at Epic who I'd consider intelligent. Sure many of the employees probably got good grades in college, but being book-smart does not necessarily translate into business intelligence. Most of the people at Epic merely go along with whatever the prevailing groupthink of the company is at any point. This is so bad that they literally had to add a 13th corporate rule that said dissent is okay. Epic has it's cult-like reputation for a reason. The company indulges it, the employees go along with it and those who disagree are typically misunderstood, marginalized and ultimately pushed out.

Advice to Management

Try to keep some of those problematic, independent, critical thinkers who see the company for what it is and want to change it for the better. Epic is having its moment in the EMR sun but at some point all that quirky artwork will begin to fade and the professionalism of one cloud-hosted Athenahealth, web-based Nextgen, etc. will look more and more appetizing to a future IT-saavy healthcare market. The Epic kool-aid will be really sweet by then and your late-30s culture warriors won't know how to dilute it with water...

Awesome company. Awesome culture. Challenging work. Great pay. High expectations.

Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great campus Very smart people Ability to change things that aren't working Meaningful, challenging work Lax dress code Great money Very high expectations

Cons

Very high expectations Hard to relieve yourself of responsibilities and projects that are weighing you down Increase in micromanagement as size has grown

Advice to Management

Improve medication management! Especially in specialty areas. Reduce process overhead and allow the smartest people in the country to be more innovative. Keep breeding the Epic culture and make sure that Judy's awesomeness can be carried on when she's gone. Her eccentric ways are the bread and butter of Epic culture. She rocks!

Great for new grads, less so for seasoned employees

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

Company does great work and is improving health care. Great benefits.

Cons

Super structured with little room for individual thinking. Tons of systems to navigate and there's only the Epic way of doing things. Poor salary for non-tech roles,even though they must understand the tech to do their work.

Great opportunity to grow skills for 2-3 years

Former Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Epic is a very fast paced environment with incredibly bright people who work very hard. It's an amazing place to learn from others and the lessons during my 3 years there as a PM were invaluable. I definitely burnt out on the travel, emails, and hours, but looking back I am so grateful for the experience. - Pay is outstanding (starting wage just okay, but top performers increase quickly! My raises were > 20% 3 years in a row) - Open culture, very feedback oriented. Learn a lot very quickly. - Amazing amount of ownership very early on - Progressive - Felt like everyone was in it to do the right thing, from top-to-bottom

Cons

For implementation staff it's work, work, work. Lots of travel, and your friend group is often the same folks you travel with, so you end up spending a lot of your free time also talking about work. A lot of folks leave in worse physical shape than when they started from the stress and the travel. Basically no opportunity to advance, but lots of opportunity to learn new skills.

Advice to Management

It's well known that Epic has no real growth opportunity. To Epic, this seems to work. Hire young, smart folks who work like crazy, and let them leave when they aren't interested in working as hard.

RSS Feed </> Embed