Epic Systems Corporation

Epic Systems Corporation Reviews in Verona, WI

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner

Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay out of college for almost any major, awesome work environment, good benefits (in 47 reviews)

• Epic hires the best and brightest and the work environment is fast paced and driven (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 117 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights
241 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Valuable experience, but poor work life balance.

Technical Services Engineer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsExcellent salary out of college, good professional experience, useful training and certification, smart and motivated employees, nice cafeteria.

ConsLots of red tape, poor work-life balance, lots of the technologies you learn are not used outside of epic.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of time and training is being invested in good employees who subsequently leave. Better work life balance and stronger incentives to stay during the crucial 1-3 year mark would result in a smaller but more competent work force.

Incredible opportunity if you go in with open eyes

Project Manager (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsEpic is a great place for motivated young professionals. If you are smart and willing to learn, work hard, and understand that you're working for a vendor in what ultimately amounts to customer service role, you will excel here and be well-compensated for it. Know coming in that this is not a 40-hour-a-week kind of place, but good outcomes are highly valued, and you'll get noticed if you're doing great work in a mature way. The work itself is meaningful, and the perks and benefits are solid.

We are decisive and aggressive in working out individuals who are not meeting expectations, which contributes to both a high-quality talent pool as well as some resentment among employees who weren't aware of their peers' performance problems.

ConsIt's a great first (or second) job, and I have learned a tremendous amount about both project and people management - however, it's not for everyone, and I can see how someone with a significant amount of corporate experience under their belt would struggle with many of Epic's more nebulous, small-company-style policies. Not the job for you if you're looking for set hours (i.e., a 9-5). You'll rise faster if you can put in a lot of time upfront; that said, it's still possible to balance a family with the PM role, and most team lead managers (middle/senior management) are married with kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're no longer a small company - policies should be clearer instead of ruled by "judgment", which can vary person to person. Example: overall, Epic is generous with giving you flexible time off when you need it, but many would prefer a clear-cut lump of PTO time, vs. trying to determine how much recovery/work-away time is appropriate per situation.

Hard work at a tough company but good benefits for the short term.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsGood compensation and benefits. Very nice campus and food options.

ConsYou feel overworked and under appreciated. The hours are very long as well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow quickly and get experience, but expect to be worked hard

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsYoung, smart, hardworking co-workers
    Fun, challenging, high-level of responsibility comes quickly

ConsProject Managers travel way too much. After a year you'll be on the road 3/4 weeks, sometimes with stints as long as 5-6 weeks where you're only home on Fridays and weekends.
    You're expected to put in an extremely large amount of work if you want to move quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's professed values are often not in line with day-to-day happenings. There needs to be stronger oversight of Team Leads to make sure they are truly representing and behaving in line with the values of the company at large.

Technical Writer: great salary, boring work

Technical Writer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsFor a job straight out of college with a journalism degree, this was a great opportunity. Compensation was good, starting over $40,000.00. Food/cafeteria is excellent, and a major plus. Campus is beautiful.

ConsBoring work. Technical writing about medical software is not a career in writing, it's a career in software development. Madison, Wisconsin is cold for out-of-staters and it's a small city.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd say, be up front about the work. It's not exciting. It's boring. People come in with high expectations and leave quickly because they realize there is not much glamor to the gig.

Good for a start

Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsAs a first job out of college, this is a good place to go. While the technology is outdated from a developer's standpoint, you will gain skills that are useful outside of Epic. Developers are involved in the entire process, from design to implementation. They have the chance to talk with end users, although not as much as I would have liked.

ConsWork/life balance can suck. I got married my first year in, and between my work and my wife's hours, we almost never saw each other. You feel like you aren't doing your part when you put in only 40 hours a week. There is never a shortage of work to do, but you never get in front of it either.

Although it is considered a flat company, there is a definite management structure. Middle management has a hard time, since team leads are responsible for both their team and doing their own development as well. It can be hard to find someone to reach out to, since everyone is pretty busy every day.

They are working toward using more advanced technology, but the software when I left was being written in Cache and VB6, languages that had their prime years ago. They also have a number of reports and "tools" built using Microsoft Excel. Change management was difficult to follow, depending on the work you did.

BI Developers were glorified report writers. I did very little outside of writing Crystal Reports. I was told when I started that I would also be doing some database management and development, but only a handful of us did any of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the flat label. You have too many people in a very corporate structure for that to work any more. Give middle management responsibility over people, and hire more devs to take up their slack. Invest in your employees and you may retain more.

Not Worth the Sacrifice it Requires

Software Developer (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsGreat job right out of college, pay and benefits are great. Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around.

ConsTo someone who has never had another job after college the long hours and high stress with little support start to seem normal. Epic will admit that they aren't in the business of growing their employees so if you make one mistake you'll quickly find yourself on their bad side and out the door soon after that.

Middle management is a joke, your boss is usually someone who was promoted because he or she was best at following orders and his or her only training in management was a couple books from their reading list. For that reason it's luck of the draw whether you will succeed there since this is the person in charge of determining your worth as an employee. To make matters worse, Epic says that it will invest in your training, but that investment turns out to be the bare minimum necessary which is not nearly enough when you are tossed into the deep end of your projects.

From a developer's standpoint, the company is kind of a mess. The primary languages you'll be using are VB6 and Cache, both of which stopped being marketable ten years ago. If you're lucky like I was you'll get to work in the new C# framework, which is nice but because it's so new even the basic parts of it are bug-ridden and help can be hard to find. Finally "software must work" is one of the cornerstones of development philosophy at Epic, but it so often doesn't. The complexity in possible configurations of the software combined with the lack of time and real clinical workflow experience on the part of the QA team means that bugs are often uncaught until some customer finds them which piles more work on your plate.

Your biggest mistake at Epic would be to take the job without having a plan of escape.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employees. When someone works long hours to try to keep pace with the work load consider that a reason for more training instead of a failing worker.

Consider that a flat corporate structure just doesn't scale to a company this size. It's time to have middle management that is actually trained to manage people.

So much of the information passed to employees seems aimed at those who have direct involvement with customers. Devs are the backbone of the company and if you invested more in them then you might actually get software that works. Period.

Everything is available to make your experience great

Software Developer (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsCompany culture - values hard work, everyone is trusted with responsibilities, common sense prevails
    Everyone has their own office or shares with one other person
    Pays very well
    Great food available for little cost

ConsYou have to adjust to driving your work forward independently - you are generally the only person responsible for getting your project to advance
    The quality of middle management is inconsistent, and if you have a hands-off team lead and/or mentor then you're going to feel lost and have to reach out for help

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow people to be team leads or mentors unless they are willing to invest their own time in other people's work. It can be destructive to motivation if your team lead is disorganized and can not spare time to care about your projects.

Working at Epic was the worst; no job since

Project Manager (Current Employee) Verona, WI

ProsAverage competence, though they tout they are all brilliant in self aggrandizing fashion.

At first I thought I was being paid well, but found out I was being way underpaid according to industry levels.

ConsAfter two years, still unemployed. Epic means nothing on a resume. I believe it repels companies.

Only option is to start my own business, but there's little progress there.

The culture is awful and extremely passive aggressive.

Good job if you dont want a life and don't mind being stressed all the time.

Technical Services (Former Employee) Verona, WI

ProsThey pay you a lot of money right out of the gate. Benefits too. Tech support can help you get your foot in the door for other tech jobs, and they hire anybody who made it through a STEM major. But don't stay there too long or you will have a bunch of narrowly-applicable, useless skills.

ConsThe worst part about working at Epic, being a TS particularly, is that you are always "on." It doesn't matter if you are at lunch, want to take a break, are at home, or it's the weekend. People will call you and need you at all times. I felt like I was becoming psychotic because of how much I wanted to do a good job and help everyone I could. But my customers were too demanding and they always needed too much at the last minute. Splitting yourself among 3-6 customers is what makes it terrible; the cognitive overhead associated with constantly switching priorities and projects is quite overwhelming. This is why people burn out so quick. And now that Im at a new job that pays just as much and working 9 to 5, my 8am - 7pm marathons seem so stupid now. And dont forget the bi-monthly onsite trips that can take up your weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that people there know the software isn't that great and that not everybody is drinking the kool-aid

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!