Epic Systems Corporation

Updated January 28, 2015
3.6

Epic Systems Corporation Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
  • Good pay (especially for an entry level job) and low cost of living (in 53 reviews)

• Fun and creative work environment with some of the smartest co-workers around (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself (in 136 reviews)

• LONG hours (57 hour weeks are average across Implementation) with nearly 60% travel commitments (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

278 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company with an outstanding work culture and fun-filled atmosphere. Incredible people all over!

Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can do what you want to do in terms of challenging yourselves, something not many companies can boast about. People are very friendly and approachable regardless of their tenure and position. Lots of flexibility in terms of time-off. Good compensation, vibrant atmosphere, amazing architectures where you can spend days and weeks just appreciating how much thought process might have gone in constructing some of those buildings that are intended to increase the productivity of employees who work there. A great international sabbatical (paid vacation in addition to the regular vacation days) program that allows you to explore almost any countries in the world, with paid expenses!

The top leadership knows very well what they are doing and they make sure to regularly share important things with the employees.

Did I say Epic has one of the most amazing set of culinary staff and one of the most diverse set of cuisines they offer for lunch!!!

Cons

Still working on buildings and trying to get everyone their own office.

Just keep doing what you have been doing for years!

Still figuring it out...

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good coworkers, challenging

Cons

You feel replaceable, because you are

Allow employees to grow into new roles better

Good people, good food, lots of work

Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - EDI in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culinary staff are incredible; lunch is sold at cost and is always amazing. I just had a delicious shrimp dish for $4 the other day!
    Almost everyone I've met at Epic has been incredibly friendly and wonderful to work with, always willing to help me out.
    I personally agree with all of the company's goals and mantras, so it's easy for me to follow them (for example, keep commitments)
    I was able to start doing "real" work very quickly

Cons

After moving here, everyone I know is from Epic. Everywhere I go, I see Epic people.
    There's a pretty steep learning curve, and that can be challenging and frustrating
    I started doing "real" work very quickly and don't always feel like I have the necessary knowledge to do things well

Keep doing what you're doing. Epic's a great company and I'm very pleased to be working here.

Wasn't planning on staying, but have loved it since day one

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of variety in work week-to-week, as well as freedom to pick up and put down responsibilities and chart my own course. Ownership of projects very early on. Oh, and of course the food!

Cons

Winter weather can be tiresome

Create more opportunities for non-project managers to spend more time on-site in clinics and hospitals

Intelligent staff but lack of work-life balance

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are young, intelligent, and very driven. The travel perks are also a great bonus.

Cons

Often working extensive hours especially when you are at your customer. Very challenging to have work-life balance.

Considering the hours employees put in there should be more paid time off and larger customer teams.

They grant you a lot of responsibility early on so you are forced to work long hours or fail.

Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees at Epic are generally bright and kind. The company has a self-critical culture and avoids unnecessary bureaucracy.

Cons

Your workload is sometimes overwhelming, which means you either need to work long hours or fail. Either way you are not happy. They barely support continuing education so if you start in technical services it is unlikely you can progress to business intelligence or development .

Establish a more robust tuition reimbursement program.

It gets better over time

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Good salary
    Good benefits
    Opportunities for advancement
    Opportunities to work on different areas
    Relaxed/fun office culture
    No dress code
    Good food

Cons

Highly competitive work atmosphere can be stressful
    Wisconsin winter
    Fast company growth = crowded (cafeteria, traffic)

Get better at giving feedback early - both positive and negative - to weed out poor performers and encourage high performers

Work hard, play hard, work harder, play softer; rinse and repeat

Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers; great food; beautiful offices!

Cons

Long Hours; You will never know everything and therefore always feel a bit lost BUT this can also be a good thing if you want to stay on your toes. Also, I am new to this job, so I bet it gets easier

Keep hiring and try too spread out the work because not many PMs will stay for too long if the hours continue to be so long. Developers and other employees who see their friends leave after 1-4 years (due to burnout) become unhappy, less productive, and some leave simply because all their friends burned out and left before them.

Sell your live and you will love it

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation

Pros

Great pay, especially for new graduates, amazing benefits and health insurance, most co workers are fun and intellegent.

Cons

There is a expectation that you are required to work more than 40-45 hours a week. This is usually labeled as "only as needed" but it seems to be needed more than not. If you prefer to have a life outside of your job including a family, extra work activities, travel ect, then you will struggle here. There is a reason the turnaround rate is incredibly high. If you last more than 2 years you are fairly high on the pole.

Allow people to specialize at their job more. Do not require your install staff to be trainers, do not have your trainers be writes, do not have your coders be installers ect. The company is more than large enough to have coders who only code, trainers who only train, and tech comm who only review documentation. You will have better outcomes and happier employees.

Good Company, Good Job, great Benefits, Especially for a kitchen worker.

Current Employee - Chef in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Chef in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fringe benefits are nice, we have some freedom in the creation of the food and we are not managed by a bunch of task masters like you tend to find in many restaurant kitchens.
    Making good quality food for large numbers.
    Diverse working environment.
    Working with more like minded people than I have ever had the opportunity to, good growth and constantly challenged.

Cons

menu constraints can be limiting at times.
    The mass of product in an already tight working environment really makes for tough stressful conditions. (Should be alleviated by new Kitchen spaces)
    lots of struggle with having enough people to fill all of the roles puts added stress on the rest of the crew.

Don't wait to get a reaction from us before making improvements, most kitchen people will not say anything and will just go down in flames in the process. If we are complaining it has been really bad for a while.
    Make an effort to get more involved with the department rather than just making more and more demands. A better understanding of the department would go a long way .

Epic Systems Corporation Photos