Epicor Software Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
3.7

Epicor Software President and CEO Joseph L. Cowan
Joseph L. Cowan

Pros
  • I am really enjoy the working environment in the company (in 18 reviews)

• Fun people, semi-relaxed environment, work-life balance, team building (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited flexibility and the company's work-life balance philosophy is regressing (in 4 reviews)

• Customer Service suffers due to lack of talented technical staff and policies that emphazie billable time above everything else (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Current Employee - LPS  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - LPS in Boston, MA

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working for Epicor. I enjoy traveling around my territory, seeing new places and meeting new people. I enjoy working with my coworkers and most of my customers are great to work with as well. The job can be challenging but there is a great support system in place.

Cons

No formal training on the products. You learn as you go. Mileage reimbursement should be more in line with National standards.

A company without direction.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible hours, casual dress , free coffee

Cons

No training, lower salary than overage. Movement of jobs to Mexico.

Pay at least market value to your employees so you can retain and attract new talent.

Changing Environment

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time

Pros

Flexible work place and work hours, can work from home when needed. Casual dress code.

Cons

Changing Environment,, stating to cut costs for sale of company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dysfunctional Management

I worked at Epicor Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Despite being burnt out, there are a lot of really smart, good people who work there, who are trying to hold things together and make sure customers get what they need. Exposure to many different industries and learning opportunities for customer-facing positions.

Cons

The culture is becoming increasingly toxic. What used to be a culture of supportive teamwork and camaraderie has deteriorated to one of backstabbing self-preservation where insecure managers would rather surround themselves with lackeys than with performers. As a result, they're breeding a culture of mediocrity, back-stabbing and CYA above all else. Deflecting issues has become an art until the issue lands on one of the remaining employees who has too strong a work ethic to pass the buck further; those individuals are perpetually overworked and overwhelmed just trying to keep up.

Take a look at who is actually performing for you, and recognize them. Executive management should get to know the folks who work for and with them, beyond their direct reports and superiors. Take stock of the favoritism, the promotions without merit, and the folks who consistently produce results without recognition and without reward. The constant lip-service of ONE EPICOR when there is such drastic inequity across comparable teams with regard to expectations, demands, performance and compensation is insulting.

Almost everyone I know who works there is actively looking for opportunities elsewhere, or wishes that they could. More people have resigned in the past few months from my location than I've ever seen at the company.

It is no surprise that the company is being shopped around.

Clueless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Epicor Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- You can pretty much do anything you want, including nothing at all
    - New CEO. The old one was terrible for the company

Cons

- No accountability for anything
    - No rewards for success
    - Clueless management and coworkers
    - Low pay and laughable raises
    - Archaic technology
    - Terrible IT infrastructure
    - Management likes to play around with statistics to make things look good instead of focusing on being good

Not a bad stepping stone, but not much more than that.

Current Employee - Business Development Representative  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Epicor Software part-time for more than a year

Pros

- A lot of flexibility in scheduling
    - Snacks on Thursdays
    - Free Caribou Blend coffee!!
    - Decent look into what it's like to work for a large corporation, and entry-level sales experience
    - Large parking ramp
    - Helpful coworkers
    - Casual dress code and environment
    - Fairly comfortable chairs
    - Can be interesting accounts and conversations with prospects
    - It is an on-the-job learning environment. You can learn from your coworkers, managers, and prospects/customers that you interact with every day, and apply those things to your future calls and even future jobs, if you make the effort to seek out that information and strive to improve.

Cons

- Low wage, little flexibility for raises. The incentive that you'll get a bonus by getting a lead to a certain point in the sales process is not all it's made out to be. It happens, but not often.
    - No benefits
    - Casual dress code and environment. While it's nice to be comfortable, it is unique to the microcosm of PT Business Development. I also suspect that this is part of the reason why professionalism is a little lax.
    - Approximately 8 hours of classroom training (over 1 week) + shadowing coworkers' calls (for usually less than a week), and then you're on your own. Very little additional education/training.
    - The mentality from management is often: "It's okay, someone will come behind you and fix it later", which makes it feel like the work you're doing has no meaning or lasting impact.
    - Computers are dated, and run very slowly. This has a substantial impact on productivity.
    - Can have interesting accounts and conversations with prospects, BUT most time is spent leaving the same voice mail message over and over. Monotonous and repetitive cold-calling.
    - Scheduled to a different cube almost every day (which is good for hearing other coworkers' conversations, but doesn't allow you get into a groove or routine)
    - Former customers are often frustrated with the quality of customer support, and/or felt neglected by their account manager (this is often due to mix-ups and duplicates in the software we use to organize and catalog our customers and prospects)
    - Metrics are pushed and the most important thing, so attention to detail and quality of work is low.
    - Very high turnover in employees
    - Moderate turnover in management
    - Few chances to increase responsibility
    - After sending a lead on, you get few (if any) updates on whether or not it is going anywhere
    - Company mindset is very much about the bottom line and high call volume over quality. It doesn't seem to matter if, for example, a prospect is going out of business. They will still be called every 90 days and asked whether they want to purchase new software. This often produces a poor image of Epicor, and it isn't resolved...instead, someone just calls them again in 90 days.

- Trust your workers. Rather than approaching the situation with an attitude of "Oh, they won't stay long...we don't have to put much effort into training them.", train your employees more, make them feel like what they are doing is worthwhile, and they just might stay.

- Encourage employees to care about the companies they're calling into, and to learn more about Epicor's products. Create an environment where call quality is more important than quantity. Require them to develop their answer to a prospect's question of "Why should I make this substantial investment?" more than "Uhhhh...because Epicor has a lot of great features that could really help your company." - this helps no one.

- Encourage other avenues of advancement; Sales is not the best solution for everyone.

Venture capitalist running a software company

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company with Global presence and solid software product. Reasonable salary and benefits.

Cons

Company is package to be on sale. No long term goal but to keep the lights on. Too many layers of management and poor communication among teams.

Excellent Culture, Professional Atmosphere, Best in Class Solutions

Current Employee - Sales  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and the products. A number of talented professionals work for Epicor. The majority are team players and go above and beyond for our customers

Cons

As in any company- Different Divisions have different agendas at times this can result in slower reaction times, but have witnessed great strides under the new senior leadership

Streamline processes, Level job titles and functions , define responsibilities and consistent compensation tied to each

Epicor Software Response

Aug 11, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Epicor on Glassdoor, your feedback is appreciated

Decent company

Current Employee - Level II Store Support Analyst  in  Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Level II Store Support Analyst in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Epicor Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible with days off
    very laid back help desk
    Employees are great
    management is laid back as well.
    great resume builder

Cons

a lot of work expected of you
    they pay you less than the work you do
    only a stepping stone job.

start paying more than what you are now. If you do your employees will be more inclined to do more work for you. and you will see an increase in productivity. i personally worked above and beyond for this company and i enjoyed my times there. i learned a lot.

Fabulous.

I have been working at Epicor Software

Pros

Great management, great salary, nice people

Cons

Location, many different divisions, sylos

Better training for new and young employees

Epicor Software Response

Aug 11, 2014

Epicor Software Photos

Worked for Epicor Software? Contribute to the Community!