Episcopal Social Services of NY

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.2

Elizabeth McCarthy

Worked with children from the ages 8-11.

Current Employee - Program Aide  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Program Aide in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Episcopal Social Services of NY part-time for less than a year

Pros

Schedule was convenient. Workers were amazing .

Cons

I personally didnt have any cons .

N/A

Salary Negotiation is Virtually Impossible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Episcopal Social Services of NY full-time for more than a year

Pros

The upward mobility at ESS is great, as long as you work hard. Its a great experience if you are interning while in college, or if you are fresh out of college and need experience in your field.

Cons

The overall mission of the company is inspiring, however the employers are not passionate about their work. Some upper management lacks professionalism.

Professional development is imperative.

My experience here at Episcopal has been great. Their training has enhanced my knowledge in so many ways.

Former Employee - Head Teacher  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Head Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Episcopal Social Services of NY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I would recommend others to come work here because it has been a great experience for the past three years that I have been here. I have learned so much and enjoy assisting families in need because its a great feeling to be able to make a difference in others lives.

Cons

The challenges of working here is having to explain to a parent that their child is delayed in a specific area and may need to be evaluated .

For upper management I think they should consider supporting the staffs more frequently as well as showing how the staffs that they are appreciated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It should of been for the kids

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Episcopal Social Services of NY part-time for more than a year

Pros

Kids are amazing and eager to learn.
    Convenience in the Neighborhood
    Created amazing bond with children.

Cons

Change in leadership happened mid-year.
    Director put down a lot of staff
    Director chose favorites and in the Summer did nothing.
    Did not get paid to end of summer for whole camp session.

The after-school program upper mgt. team lacked leadership, direction and loyalty toward the staff and

Former Employee - Afterschool Director @PS 75  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Afterschool Director @PS 75 in Bronx, NY

I worked at Episcopal Social Services of NY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got to work with families and school staff who appreciated the hard work. Developed students growth potential via staff and leadership

Cons

Loyalty vs $$$$. When you work from the heart with children and relationships are developed the quick fix does not always fix it

In some areas of social services the $$$ should not come before relationships developed with families in low income communities.Sometime that's all we have.

More community need than resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Episcopal Social Services of NY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid people who do the heavy lifting and are willing to put in long hours, many challenges to solve in learning how to do more with less, training offered in some areas, real outcomes changing families when things work out, real services given to children in the centers and programs, management offices close to transportation.

Cons

Low salary and long hours for a lot of staff puts stress on relationships between staff and management, high expectations in field increase and put stress on management as funding is cut and outcomes are set ever higher. Some of the programs have so many restrictions from external entities (e.g. state or fed) it is hard to innovate and very heavy in paperwork and documentation. This would not be an easy place to work if you expect a 9-5 but a good place to work if you want to dig in and do the heavy lifting.

Cut down on the number of managers and divert resources into supporting workers in the field, they're the life of every program.

Working at this place was horrible.

I have been working at Episcopal Social Services of NY

Pros

Location is ok. And co-workers are friendly and helpful. The rest of the management staff people are subtly rude, and hypercritical.

Cons

don't get paid overtime for working 50-60 + hours per wk. Salary is low for all the stress and hours put in. Treated harshly, and too much is expected from one person. Case Planner's are overworked and underpaid; you feel as though you're working 5 different jobs. And to make matters worse you receive know acknowledgement for all the work you do.

Management should hire case aides to help case planners, or assign less cases to planners. Offering higher salaries to case planner, since they're so overworked and stressed. Perhaps management should spend a week working as a case planner (undercover) to fully understand the incredible stress,and poor treatment. The turn over is high, so perhaps they should look into why.

Worked for Episcopal Social Services of NY? Contribute to the Community!