Epocrates

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jonathan S. Bush

Pros
  • security, salary, work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Users still love the product, and you can work from home(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is deaf and inept, lacking vision while brimming with misplaced confidence(in 6 reviews)

• Complete lack of respect from management team especially toward long-tenured employees(in 4 reviews)

Run for the hills

Director (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat health bennies and paid time off.

ConsIf you love working inside a company that has all the chaos of a start-up AND all the bureaucracy of a giant pharma company, welcome to your dream job. Senior management is deaf and inept, lacking vision while brimming with misplaced confidence. The corporate culture is toxic as it festers among the beige cubicles.

In many ways, it's very sad to see Epocrates in such a state because there was a time when it was a very innovative company, a true pioneer in mobile healthcare. For years, Epocrates had no competition, which is bad because it stifles the killer instinct a technology company needs in order to innovate. They were successful despite themselves. Eventually, competition came knocking and Epocrates was not able to respond.

Fortunately, Epocrates had amassed a large database of US physician email addresses which proved to be just valuable enough for AthenaHealth to acquire them. Maybe Athena can turn the company around, but it will be a long slog as they try to figure it all out.

If you're into a job where you can disappear inside their process while sucking off the corporate teet, then have at it. You can actually work there for a long time, producing almost nothing. But if you'd rather work on products that truly transform healthcare, then look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know a lot more than you and empower them to do their jobs. Listen more than you speak.

Amateur Hour

Pros1. Work/life balance
    2. Health benefit coverage and cost to employee
    3. "Unlimited" PTO
    4. All employees bonus eligible (starting 1/1/14)

While these are currently Pros, only the bonus eligibility will really be in place moving forward. Athena policies are overall less employee friendly than Epocrates

Cons1. Tone deaf senior management
    2. Ewing office in complete disarray, true leadership nearly non-existent...you can cover up the mess for only so long
    3. Complete lack of motivation in San Mateo office. Engineers zombie-like
    4. Moving out of silicon valley is a huge mistake, unless the goal is to induce significant voluntary turnover
    5. Lack of innovation....still beating the dying messaging horse

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the navel gazing and cheerleading. Start seeing where the issues and problems really reside and correct them.

Great potential, missed opportunity?

RVP (Former Employee)

ProsUnderlying product meets the need of healthcare professionals in accessing information that they can trust.

ConsCommercial side of business (that which generates revenue) is marginalized. Product innovation is completely lacking. Marketing and Product Management is virtually non-existent although the folks in those departments "sure are busy".

Advice to Senior ManagementHold every department as accountable as you do sales. Define objectives, measure results, reward the performers and remove the rest.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company has reached it's dead END

Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsWith athenahealth every one of the pro is getting turned into con.

Cons1. Rise in benefits for employees, without salary increase
    2. Moving to SF city - with a dumb reason "have more recruiting opportunitiy"
    3. Managers are such ignorant people, you can really see such people in here. No knowledge on hot to solve or co-ordinate activities. Just do whatever s**t you can do and cover it up.
    4. There are people in this company for a long time, they are here because they don't have enough talent. They act like "gate keepers" for any information that you ask. This itself shows why the company hasn't scaled well in 10+ years.
    5. AthenaHealth - This company is just a show off -- CEO has big money to spend on "show off" than on the real hard workers and their compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave, get some real folks.

Great Culture No Support

Sales (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe people were great to work with, and benefits were excellent.

ConsNo collaboration between departments and no support from marketing. Extremely micro-managed with little lattitude to get deals done without lengthy approval process. Define roles of the support staff as many times accounts were confused by multiple calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the sales department some freedom to innovate and sell a great product.

Epocrates moving to SF 2014?

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWe all enjoy working hard for possible 2015 Athenahealth bonus to pay for our families future medical and dental needs.

ConsEntire company demoted by Athenahealth, yet they boast about promoting their own to run Epocrates into the ground while pretending to listen and care. Ruthless liars!!! Takes balls for a CEO to brag about $$$, buying a plane, mountain resort, mall property and fixing health care" while being cheap to deny minimal benefits for his own employees. Cheap!

Farewell Durham!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to "no one ever heard of AthenaHell in Water Clown, MA and acquired a real people's company with a leading brand name you could only buy!"
    Coach one-way trip for your puppet COO, clueless VP ENG and "who? and where? is our"
    CEO back to Boston. J Bush...Silicon Valley will be the start of your downfall.

Awesome brand, crappy management.

(Former Employee)

Prosgreat brand awareness in healthcare space. people were fun to work with. decent comp & benefits. culture was fun to work in until management changes took place in 2012.

Consmanagement have their heads in 'dark spaces.' total incompetence at exec management level. brought in people who were not qualified for their roles and ruined a really good culture. athenahealth is in the process of destroying a fabulous brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck, you are gonna need it. get rid of the absolutely useless employees- all that's left now.... its a drag working around a lot of inept talent.

I will never get that time back.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA few of the key (sub-C level) people great to work with. They were talented, motivated, and truly wanted to create great things.

ConsUnfortunately the rest of the technical team stayed with the company because they knew they'd have a difficult time find a new job. I spent more time/effort fixing mistakes which would have never been tolerated at a real software company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimple: hire better people (which means paying the going rate for high level talent). My technical interview was so easy that I had originally assumed their "most senior engineer"was a new grad. He wasn't.

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros* Ability to work from home

Cons* Culture of CYA
    * Many gaps in process and knowledge due to multiple waves of people leaving the company
    * What was left in the company was definitely NOT the cream of the crop. Other reviews want to blame the new wave that came in; but the truth is that the culture was extremely messed up long before those new people came in

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out those people who aren't contributing and get those toxic individuals out there asap

Great company and great experience

Senior Vice President, US Sales (Former Employee) Ewing, NJ

Prosculture, comp plan, great products

Consnew CEO ruined culture, going public ruined comp plan and culture

Advice to Senior Managementinnovate. not updating the core money making product in 10 years is a joke for a tech company

Worked for Epocrates? Contribute to the Community!