Epocrates

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jonathan S. Bush

Pros
  • security, salary, work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Users still love the product, and you can work from home (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is deaf and inept, lacking vision while brimming with misplaced confidence (in 6 reviews)

• Complete lack of respect from management team especially toward long-tenured employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had the best experience working at Epocrates, mainly because of the people. Company culture was great. Talented people, great team work. . Benefits were good and Unlimited PTO.

ConsCompany management kept changing, which led to a lot of employee churn, but with ATHN acquisition, things are expected to be more stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to really listen to employee feedback and not just collect feedback...

Lots of passion, challenges on implementation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat mission
    Doing a great service for healthcare

ConsTrying to behave like a company far larger than it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider an acquisition

Do you have any other offers?

Engineering Department (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsIf you can show incremental change in any direction, even reverse, you are deemed as contributing. Nice bonus pool and since bonuses are linked to management bonuses the bar will be lowered until it is met. Not showing up is ok.

ConsManagement direction changes very frequently. Not showing up is ok. After athenahealth took over benefits went from great to terrible. Many of the people with marketable skills have moved on largely leaving new hires, those who don't know, and those who don't care. Poor architecture.

Advice to Senior ManagementIs it even worth saving at this point?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a good company

Senior QA (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsFlexible hours, Good benefit. Friendly working environment.

ConsNo new product for a long time. People are leaving.

After ATHN acquisition, feeling like a satellite office

Business Analyst (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

Prossecurity, salary, work life balance. Overall a good place to work, but it kind of lost its mojo with Hurd's tenure, and the ATHN acquisition

ConsATHN runs the show in Boston. Very little decision making in California

What was great is no more

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsHighly compensated, Highly Educated,

ConsVery competitive, and political, unlimited vacation gone under Athena health. No one feels safe high preformers are gone in an instant. Everyone always feels their job is at risk because of the moves the company makes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just look at the numbers, look at the individual lives, and the core clients. Pharma is losing interest in a product that never showed ROI.

Directionless

ProsIt provides a paycheck. Except for upper management people are forthright, honest, and nice to work with.

ConsDon't expect much direction. The CEO ran the clock down in one meeting hoping to avoid some tough questions. This indicates the level of management maturity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings would go faster if you stopped asking what employees thought. Since you aren't listening it would save everyone some time if you just did what you were going to do anyway. People are talking less so it seems employees are taking the initiative on this.

The best people focused on a fabulous product that saves lives every day.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat product that literally saves lives. People that worked hard and really care about the quality of the product.

ConsManagement before the acquisition lost their way. It is a different place now under Athena Health - but what a fabulous company and product. I hope they bring back a healthy culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the product quality high... treat the employees fairly that built this great company.

Ship is sinking

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsFlexible hours, work life balance

ConsAthenahealth acquisition, move to San Francisco next June, have to purchase own Kaiser next year, no career advancement, old-timers are unhappy and are leaving

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the remaining Epocrates employees in order to retain them.

What has happened to this company I love???

ProsUnlimited PTO (ending in Jan 14), dedicated membership base

ConsZERO mentoring and coaching. Decisions made at the top without asking anyone below for input. So tired of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementWise up. Some of your senior leaders are not leaders. They only care about themselves. Some of us good ones are one foot out the door.

Worked for Epocrates? Contribute to the Community!