Eporia

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Doug Adams

For bright people with a great work ethic, this is a terrific opportunity.

Redmond, WA

I have been working at Eporia

ProsEporia is a place where people are really allowed to thrive. Ideas are valued, efforts are appreciated, and there is a feeling that we're all in it together, including the CEO who works harder than anyone else (something I haven't seen before).

Deciding to work here was a lifestyle choice - it is demanding, the hours are long, and it's intense. But the compensation is very fair for the effort, the environment is supportive, and it's a really good product.

The demands of the position were very clearly explained before I to took it. I think some people assume they "don't really mean it" but let me assure you - they do. Everyone is expected to work more than regular full time hours, and to just do whatever it takes to get stuff done when in a crunch time. But again, the pay reflects the expectation, and it's a positive and appreciative environment, which is rare.

I'm just a couple of months into my employment here and I don't regret it for a minute. At some point, you choose to step it up - work harder for more compensation and more professional gain. I would always choose that and I'm glad I did in this case. I'd encourage my friends to work here.

ConsI read the negative review here on Glassdoor before I took the position. It worried me. I've worked for small, family-owned companies before and didn't want to be in that boat again. One of the CEO's children works for the company. But everyone gets the same benefits and expectations - even the CEO. There isn't favoritism.

I think the hours and pace are just more than some people can handle. Lots of new hires just walk out within the first few days. Others can't keep up and are let go. This was made very clear to me from the start. I'm sure those people resent it and want to slam the company. You have to take these things with a grain of salt. Again - it is intense. This might be a deal-breaking negative to some people.

I wanted a company that gave me room to grow, to be really effective, and to get a lot done. You get that here. My background is in IT and it's common for people to work less than half the time they're paid for. If you're used to that type of environment, where you're paid for what you know and what you can do instead of what you actually accomplish, then this probably isn't the place for you.

This is a family company, in a sense. But my experience with that sort of thing is a company that a Dad started and the son inherited, where the son doesn't get it, doesn't care, isn't as smart or well educated as the Dad, and doesn't have a passion for the product/subject. I worked for two of those. It was rough. This is different because the CEO is the person who started it, grew it from nothing, and really believes in it. He's in the trenches with us and there's something to be said for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep telling people what to really expect. Try to make them believe you. I think it helps to truly know what you're getting into.

Continue to give feedback (positive and negative) and praise for a job well done. That goes a long way toward employee satisfaction.

Don't give up on the idea that a small-ish group of really dedicated people can get a whole lot more done than a big, bloated group of average workers with average pay. This model works.

Consider a yearly employee appreciate picnic or something. Even the Management could take a day to eat burgers.

Salary means you work the weekends too.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Kirkland, WA

I worked at Eporia

ProsThe base pay is decent; however, you probably will never see any health insurance, dental, or even paid time off.

ConsA primary downside of Eporia is the amount of the boss/owner's family that works for the company. This was the cause of a lot of unfairness in policies and rules. In addition, my paycheck was always 1-2 weeks late. When I asked my employer about this, he was rude and acted as if I was being selfish for asking about paychecks.

Another downside is the rate that new employees stay with the company. Most employees leave or are fired within the first three weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees.

Hostile work environment

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eporia full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to try out different older technologies
Ability to work with code written by many former employees with little or no time to achieve them

ConsPoor sub standard hardware
Hostile environment consisting of yelling when issues occur as incentive to do better
Difficult employees who are not open to discussing problem rather to assess blame

Yes, sometimes we have to work weekends

ECommerce Customer Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eporia

ProsVery dynamic and upbeat work environment. Overall policies and rules are straightforward and fair and there isn’t any second guessing what’s expected from you. The pay is in line with other high tech companies and paid on time. The hours are fair, benefits, and time off are superior to most employers. The company also offers the most generous health and dental insurance program I have seen anywhere. Also, it isn’t uncommon to see someone with the company, for less than full year, take advantage of their full vacation time. Family emergency issues are always respected as a first priority. Each employee is considered a valued team member. I am motivated by the daily team challenge to make it all happen. I for one, enjoy using my brain and can take pride in my accomplishments.

ConsExpectations are very high. You have to work…and a high level of energy and performance is expected from everyone on the team every day. This is not the type of company where you can only pretend you know what you’re talking about or doing. This being the case, it is definitely not a good environment for people who want to sit in a corner and waste away the day. Demonstrating a high work ethic is expected from all team members. Nothing less than a self motivated responsibility to perform and produce excellent work is accepted. Most quality tech companies are actually run this way. In today’s economy, no can tolerate a free ride with unexcused time off.. If you’re not built for speed this isn’t the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you’re doing; embrace and reward your performers and let the bad apples go when they deserve it.

Worked for Eporia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eporia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eporia CEO Doug Adams. All reviews posted anonymously by Eporia employees.