Epsilon

Epsilon Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Epsilon President and CEO Bryan Kennedy

Bryan Kennedy

Pros
  • Great work life balance depending on the phase of the project and your role in it(in 15 reviews)

• Company growing at a rapid rate, always work to do, great people who work here(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Workload to staff ratio lacks balance, making work/life balance nearly impossible(in 25 reviews)

• There is a lot of unfair upper management practice(in 10 reviews)

Culturally diverse workplace with good employees, managements is somewhat disengaged.

Rather Not Say (Current Employee) Blue Ash, OH

ProsWe have office parties for events including cultural holidays for all the people from other countries who work here.

The workplace is very diverse with many, many associates from overseas and from different cultures.

People are allowed to work from home a lot. Very few people are even in the office on Fridays. Very nice and quiet.

Our SVP in Blue Ash is very laid back and relaxed. Not often in the office much at all and when he is, he is always nice.

ConsMy direct manager is absent from work way too much. He calls in absent all the time for seemingly trivial reasons. In my opinion it sets a very bad example for his employees. Also people on other teams are very aware of his constant absences and it reflects badly on our team. I don't see how he could possibly not have used up all of his benefit time, but I guess it is ok with his manager.

Other teams are ok, but the DBA team is treated like step-children by the rest of the groups and are often blamed for everything. The manager does not stick up for the DBAs and conveys his frustration and bad attitude to too openly, I think. A good manager is needed who is happy with his/her job and who will represent the team well and improve the standing with the other groups in Blue Ash and throughout the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job on allowing so much work from home time, but need to find the right balance with managers, who I think should be more engaged and be at work more. If working from home, managers should always be engaged and reachable.

Epsilon is a marketing company

QA Analyst (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsCool Office culture. Can find the work life balance here. Nice benefits

ConsThe compensation can be more

Great company to work for.

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsEpsilon is very stable and always looking for ways to improve customer experience.

ConsEpsilon doesn't pay to keep it's talent. Often people have to move to other companies to keep up with the cost of living increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a higher cost of living pay increase.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Go Epsilon

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsA Nice place to work with good salaries. Love the company events

ConsSometimes there are long hours required

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more company parties

Can't wait to leave and find something better.

ProsGood location and decent benefits.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, and most of all under-appreciated. Promotions are given out based on who you know, not how hard you work or how great of a job you're doing.

Some good people are still here, but this is still not a place you want to have listed on your resume.

Associate (Current Employee) Irving, TX

Pros1. Though many, many excellent people have left, there are some really good people still working here.
    2. People do not stay here long, so there can be opportunity for advancement as long as you know and are in with the few right people. So seek those people out if you want to move up.
    3. Though there can be a great deal of night, weekend and holiday work, in many cases Sundays seem to be free unless there are issues that need to be addressed.
    4. When we had one of the largest data breaches in US history, which was covered by all of the national news agencies for over a week, no one was fired or let go because of it.

Cons1. Our boss, a very senior VP, actually used to carry around an audio recorder that looked like a large ball point pen. He would bring this recording pen to meetings and would secretly record people's remarks. Several of his direct reports, a Senior Director and a Director/Fellow would do the same thing when they held or attended meetings. This became widely known, but continued even after other people had learned they were carrying these recording pens to meetings and while having conversations. This behavior had a stifling effect on trust and critical dialogue in important meetings where decisions needed to be made and people needed to be able to speak openly and frankly in an environment of trust.

2. This same very senior VP failed his initial interview to come to the company as a DBA about 7 years ago and was rejected as a candidate. Later in time, he finally passed an interview for a different job posting. As a DBA he happened to be in the right place at the right time when there was a simple database outage. Because the outage was brief, people greatly overestimate his skills and abilities and his career launched upwards from there and has not stopped, regardless of the incompetence and lack of leadership consistently demonstrated.

This specific case is indicative of a larger problem with those who have remained in leadership in some areas of the company, such as the DBA and DB Development groups. Sparse leadership skills & very little leadership experience prior to Epsilon.

Many, many great people have left and continue to leave the company. This high attrition rate has advanced this very senior VP's upward mobility. Due to this situation, we are now the darling of a major database software/hardware vendor who has been awarded very large sales and contracts in exchange for coveted tickets to major sporting events, luxurious dinners and travel opportunities. These gifts seem highly questionable and undermine the integrity of the organization.

Just a bad situation where competition between vendors is stifled, and truly talented people always seem to leave far too soon after joining. The CEO and Board of Directors needs to be aware of this condition and should stop it.

Things can and should change here, but nothing will change for the better by itself.

Advice to Senior Management1. Quit messing around and either train or get rid of disfunctional executives and hire real leaders with real experience. This is the only way the culture will ever change.
    2. Try to get back some of the dozens and dozens of really great associates and leaders who have left the company.
    These two things would show that you actually mean business and would set the stage for real change to begin.

First Professional Job

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe flow of communication has improved over the past few years.

ConsIt can be difficult to advance your skill set if your client base is limited (doesn't engage outside of standard email best practices or has limited budget).

Epsilon bought us

Senior Director, Project Delivery (Current Employee)

Pros401k matching, encourage charitable donations

ConsEmployee are a commodity

Health insurance is bad and even after huge deductible, in-network, it only covers 80% - major illness could bankrupt me

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to best leverage employees vs trying to make them cheaper

Lost in the woods.

ProsGreat office environment. Great pay but bonus targets not realistic.

ConsLack of direction. Losing a lot of talent in the agency side of the business at very fast pace.

It offers up many challenges.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe ADS mothership is a financially stable company which is able to support Epsilon's initiatives as required. There are some truly interesting problems to solve, and puzzles to sort out, which makes the work rewarding.

ConsWorkload to staff ratio lacks balance, making work/life balance nearly impossible. There are many directors at the company who perform as managers, and many VP's who perform as directors. There are a lot of floating agendas which either trivializes the immediate work, delays the immediate work, or negatively impacts the quality of the work.

Worked for Epsilon? Contribute to the Community!