Epsilon

Epsilon Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Epsilon President and CEO Bryan Kennedy

Bryan Kennedy

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance depending on the phase of the project and your role in it"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Company growing at a rapid rate, always work to do, great people who work here"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Workload to staff ratio lacks balance, making work/life balance nearly impossible"
    in 25 reviews
  • "There is a lot of unfair upper management practice"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

High stress, no leadership, projects are chaotic

ProsThey pay well, benefits are very good.

ConsThere is no leadership in this organization. Departments and teams have no clear guidance, and all are working on their own agendas. There is no leadership being provided to create a coherent vision, or attempt to get departments and teams to work toward common goals.

There is no attempt to work effectively in cross-departmental teams, or even across teams within the same department. The rank and file employees do try to work to help each other as they can, however politics seems to trump any real efforts to work together.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some leadership

Overall, an unhealthy, unsanitary, somewhat filthy office environment.

Senior Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsLocated very, very close to Dallas Fort Worth Airport so it is easy to catch a flight. Though at times you can smell the exhaust from the jet airplanes taking off from DFW airport. Hopefully that is ok.
    Conveniently located right on the major LBJ Freeway / I 635. Though access to the highway is convenient, the exhaust from the trucks and cars together with the exhaust from the airplanes at DFW seems very unhealthy and irritating at times. Throughout the long workday, I have seen many, many people with very red, irritated eyes. People seem to have a lot of respiratory problems and illnesses, though I think the overall commute may be a little shorter since the office is located on this busy highway and so close to this major national airport.

ConsPeople are always getting sick, yet they may feel they are expected to come to work anyway.
    Though most associates are polite, many do not ever cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze openly with complete abandon. It seems very few people actually wash their hands in the restrooms.
    I have never seen them dust the cubicle areas and I have never seen them vacuum. They only seem to empty the trash. Debris and dust seems to remain on the floor and on the office surfaces for a very long time.
    I have gotten very sick after eating the food in the cafe downstairs. Food served on Monday seems to be leftover from the previous week. Likewise, Friday's food just seems to be stale and wilted. Tuesday's food seems to be the safest.
    The goals we are required to meet in order to get any sort of profit sharing or bonuses are unrealistic. I am afraid many people may not see any bonuses. Managers from the Director level and up have been getting large bonuses and perks for years and years, though many mangers, especially some at the VP level and up do not deserve any bonuses whatsoever. Many simply avoid responsibility and waste everyone's time and effort actually obstructing work rather than contributing.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your act. Do more than just empty the trash. Work to improve things. Throw out most of the VPs and up. This would become a healthier place to work.

Can't wait to leave and find something better.

ProsGood location and decent benefits.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, and most of all under-appreciated. Promotions are given out based on who you know, not how hard you work or how great of a job you're doing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good people are still here, but this is still not a place you want to have listed on your resume.

Associate (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

Pros1. Though many, many excellent people have left, there are some really good people still working here.
    2. People do not stay here long, so there can be opportunity for advancement as long as you know and are in with the few right people. So seek those people out if you want to move up.
    3. Though there can be a great deal of night, weekend and holiday work, in many cases Sundays seem to be free unless there are issues that need to be addressed.
    4. When we had one of the largest data breaches in US history, which was covered by all of the national news agencies for over a week, no one was fired or let go because of it.

Cons1. Our boss, a very senior VP, actually used to carry around an audio recorder that looked like a large ball point pen. He would bring this recording pen to meetings and would secretly record people's remarks. Several of his direct reports, a Senior Director and a Director/Fellow would do the same thing when they held or attended meetings. This became widely known, but continued even after other people had learned they were carrying these recording pens to meetings and while having conversations. This behavior had a stifling effect on trust and critical dialogue in important meetings where decisions needed to be made and people needed to be able to speak openly and frankly in an environment of trust.

2. This same very senior VP failed his initial interview to come to the company as a DBA about 7 years ago and was rejected as a candidate. Later in time, he finally passed an interview for a different job posting. As a DBA he happened to be in the right place at the right time when there was a simple database outage. Because the outage was brief, people greatly overestimate his skills and abilities and his career launched upwards from there and has not stopped, regardless of the incompetence and lack of leadership consistently demonstrated.

This specific case is indicative of a larger problem with those who have remained in leadership in some areas of the company, such as the DBA and DB Development groups. Sparse leadership skills & very little leadership experience prior to Epsilon.

Many, many great people have left and continue to leave the company. This high attrition rate has advanced this very senior VP's upward mobility. Due to this situation, we are now the darling of a major database software/hardware vendor who has been awarded very large sales and contracts in exchange for coveted tickets to major sporting events, luxurious dinners and travel opportunities. These gifts seem highly questionable and undermine the integrity of the organization.

Just a bad situation where competition between vendors is stifled, and truly talented people always seem to leave far too soon after joining. The CEO and Board of Directors needs to be aware of this condition and should stop it.

Things can and should change here, but nothing will change for the better by itself.

Advice to Senior Management1. Quit messing around and either train or get rid of disfunctional executives and hire real leaders with real experience. This is the only way the culture will ever change.
    2. Try to get back some of the dozens and dozens of really great associates and leaders who have left the company.
    These two things would show that you actually mean business and would set the stage for real change to begin.

Worse than awful

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Lafayette, CO

ProsThe on-site cafe is nice

ConsExtreme micromanagement executed by fearful incompetents who would rather fire people than let them succeed. Complete lack of role definition. An ingrained culture of rudeness and an utter unwillingness to be helpful. No processes, no standards, no documentation, no training. Honestly I don't have even one positive thing to say about this place except there a handful of perfectly nice people desperately trying to escape it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what your middle managers are doing, they create the culture and what they're making is abysmal.

Drastically increased nepotism, politics, and nonsensical technology choices

ProsExposure to a large array of differing technologies, stable company growth, mostly good teammates and camaraderie.

ConsThe CIO is from, and bringing over all his friends from, a failed national video chain. There is no experience in running an effective organization at the top and it has become the culture there now. Rigid process is pushed (but not actually implemented) over good teams and culture. As a company based on technology, it lacks basic infrastructure that management will not address. I am surprised that large customers continually put up with the downtime caused by an inability to focus on the basic foundations needed to keep the lights on. Project management is in its infancy and completely overloaded, and thus not really effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementI get the distinct impression that upper management is unaware of how much is being hidden from them. The arrogance displayed by project leads is jaw-dropping at this level, and the actual costs of those decisions and future of major project suites is dismal.

A really, really bad place to work

Database Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsUsually have Sundays off
    Location is not bad if you live in Irving
    If you have lost your job, been fired or laid off, this is better than having no job at all

ConsVP level management takes credit for the work of their employees and blames their underlings for all of the VP level screw ups.
    No real leadership at the VP level. Some VPs don't even have any prior management or leadership experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of senior managers from VP level and hire some intelligent talented people who can motivate others and get things done without pitting people against each other.

Screwed Over

Database Developer (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

Pros- Friday breakfasts provided by company in Schaumburg location.
    - Decent systems to work with
    - Top notch social media and highly technical folks

Cons- they expect you to work until you get sick
    - highly political environment
    - use GE's Rank & Yank methodology to supposedly get a higher performing workforce by firing the bottom x percent of employees per department. As a result, instead of collaborating on solving problems, people have the incentive to back-stab and prevent their colleagues from being ranked higher than they are. Enter cesspool!
    - the pay is poor but better than another major competitor.
    - the insurance could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop throwing your people under the bus. The genius plan of rank and yank makes is actually hurting your company.

Great healthcare clients/relationships, terrible Epsilon management who don't value their employees

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEpsilon has won several significant RFP's for healthcare clients in the pharmaceutical industry. Great opportunity to build relationships with clients.

ConsEpsilons management is by far the absolute worst I've ever experienced. All they care about is their bottom line, and not their employees. They expect the world of you, ie working many late nights, terrible compensation with no bonus, and no leadership support. You 100% feel more connected and supported from your clients than Epsilon. In addition, Epsilon cannot retain talent, therefore exhausting current talent to make up for the under performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate and support current talent, get rid of under performers.

Morale is more dead than a zombie apocalypse

(Current Employee)

ProsVery easy interview process.
    Learned a lot while being here.
    People working in the pit are incredible and you will find lots of support from your fellow friends in suffering.

ConsNo room for upward movement, there are VPs and minions with very little in the middle. In fact, my future has never once been brought up in a review or casual conversation. I think it's pretty well expected I will be in my role as is until I leave.
    They have a "Work Harder" not "Work Smarter" attitude.
    A mass exodus of employees in the last six months and in many cases no visible plans to fill the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open. Everyone feels like a huge hammer is going to drop any second.

Worked for Epsilon? Contribute to the Community!

Epsilon Videos

Epsilon – Why Work for Us?

Epsilon is the global leader in delivering meaningful direct to- consumer connections that drive performance. Focused on customer management and customer engagement, Epsilon delivers end-to-end solutions to fit the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epsilon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Epsilon CEO Bryan Kennedy. All 264 reviews posted anonymously by Epsilon employees.