Epsilon

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015

Epsilon President and CEO Bryan Kennedy
Bryan Kennedy

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is said to be important but I think that depends on your supervisor (in 19 reviews)

• Your allowed to work from home when you are sick (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Workload to staff ratio lacks balance, making work/life balance nearly impossible (in 28 reviews)

• The HR team would ask managers to not blame on upper management but tell the employees they got what deserved which is not true (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Full of opportunities to grow

I have been working at Epsilon

Pros

-I'm able to work from home when my children sick.
    -I have a great boss, no micro management.
    -Good 401k match, great health insurance.

Cons

The company is growing too fast for the help desk, STS to catch up but I hope they will catch up soon.

It all depends on which team you join and who your manager is. Some teams operate as sweatshops.

I worked at Epsilon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to get experience and to move on. There is a number of smart individuals to learn from.

Cons

High pressure, stressful environment, long hours, there is NO work-life balance.

Lots of potential for employees, depending on team. In order to move around, you have to keep your eyes and ears open.

Former Employee - Epsilon in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Epsilon in Irving, TX

I worked at Epsilon

Pros

There are a lot of good, talented people at Epsilon. In some areas, there is a great vision for the future.
    I think that if many of these objectives are well executed, it will be a great place to work.

Cons

The company is very "siloed" -- it is difficult to move from one group to another. Because of the nature of the various client projects, there may be great differences in tools/technologies used on each. Given the size of the company and the number of such different projects, it becomes difficult to share information between teams.

Make the commoditization of internal services happen (ie. making every client project speak the same language, or at least speak to a common "translator"). This will allow more efficient use of the human capital within the company. I suspect this has been happening in the years since I left as it was a primary goal but I believe that's the main way Epsilon will be able to bring down the cost/timeline of implementation, use employees to their best potential, and scale to greater number of clients.

Software

I have been working at Epsilon

Pros

company values, opportunities, work life balance, technologies

Cons

promotions, training, knowledge sharing, career path

Great benefits, great starter job. Not so great pay.

Current Employee - Associate Business Systems Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Business Systems Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Epsilon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits and 401K matching is fantastic. Also, health care coverage is an easy, inexpensive perk.

Cons

Pay is lower than the country and state averages.

Absolutely worst place for IT Development

Former Employee - Developer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Developer in Irving, TX

I worked at Epsilon

Pros

This review is only for application development for loyalty/rewards for a large financial client. I had unfortunate experience working there. I feel sorry for those unwillingly stuck in this place.

- Ideal for someone who works solely for paycheck or loves politics
    - Has nice gym facilities and cafeteria
    - Company has break room with arcade and console games to spend time

Cons

This may sound like a rant. However, this place is as appalling as it gets. It is facing high turnover because of the factors.

Nature of work
    - Application development is not even remotely close to any standard practices. Developers have "Throw the code on the wall, hope it sticks" attitude. Lazy "coding" attitude will grind down any motivation a new guy has.
    - Some of them (including "team leads") don't even bother to learn/read existing technologies used in the application. They lack technical know-how and have no desire to learn.
    - Infact any shred of development happening has been pushed to offshore and effort is made to keep them busy, so onshore team can relax and wait for paycheck.
    - Any work for onshore team is thus, naturally, just donkey work. Making people wonder why not hire entry level people for the job.

Management
    - Egoistic and foolish hierarchical management which drives pitiful development. They are living with an old school mentality.
    - Developers don't have any say in technical decisions( can you believe that?) and are ruled/dictated by incompetent bunch of project managers with fancy titles (to boost their undeserved egos)
    - Politics and hubris rule this place, cliques and lot of tension between mgmt and dev team
    - Management team has no people skills or communication skills (Bitter truth), they will talk in day long meetings to show everyone they are busy. In other words, they are people who have miserably failed to retain or land up a management job elsewhere.
    - Mgmt expects everyone to "work", without hesitation and without any advance notice, on weekends for several straight weeks (public holidays too). They will always expect you to show up at work on time. They will never show you any gratitude for slogging or respect for the work you are doing. That's right not a word of thanks from these arrogant souls.
    - The reason for indifference/lack of respect is they treat you as a livestock, cattle without brains. Your hard work won't reflect in yearly performance reviews which gets you laughable measly raises.

Finger pointing, blame game and how to offload the problem to someone else is the order of the day in this hellhole.
    Entire effort is made for CYA operation and blame someone else for the incompetency.

Career opportunities/promotions/pay raise are directly proportional to how well you suck up to mgmt.

Remove the hierarchy obsolete model by getting rid of incompetent managers and developers.
    In todays world, developers drive the technical development.

Overall, a good company to work for

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Epsilon

Pros

Benefits like stock purchase plan and matching 401K

Cons

Spotty management in places. Most areas are managed well, but some long time executives gets moved around despite limited success

Mature your processes. Adopt a methodology and apply it across all aspects of the company

Working for Epsilon and loving it!

Former Employee - Senior Print Production Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Print Production Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Epsilon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People - Flexibility in work hours - Pay

Cons

Joining forces with Aspen Marketing Services

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great Team despite too much middle management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Epsilon

Pros

My Team - small, hardworking, talented, never say no.
    Benefits are great
    Variety of projects
    Great if you are a self starter and love to learn new things
    Ability to build a great skillset
    Lunch on Fridays
    Good, solid coworkers
    Decent work/life balance
    Good vacation

Cons

Promotions - I've been with the company for a very long time, and when it comes to promotions you have a much better chance if you are in a main office Dallas, Boston, West Chicago. Even though, the people in satellite offices seem to work harder and smarter and deserve forward momentum.

Growth - I am with a very small team, so we don't get the opportunity to really grow into our titles for example, at this point I should be managing people, but we have no people to manage we are all still doing the same job that we've been doing for years.

Visibility - Once again this is due to being in a satellite office. Even if we aren't in your face, we're still working extremely hard.

Management - Management is a bit on the weak side. A lot of hiding in the shadows waiting for things to happen or sometimes the complete opposite and stomping on everyone. I think we need LESS middle management, and more people who are willing to make things happen for the betterment of the team and company.

Training & Equipment - Give your employees TRAINING. Even if it's online training, let us grow... let us develop/ fine tune our skills. Spend the money, it benefits the company in the long run.

Career Opportunities - They are out there but not much for the little offices.

For the most part Epsilon is a good place to work, good people, engaging projects. The time off is fair, the culture is fine for a big corporate beast. Please start allowing budgets for training, and software. It benefits you. Also please pay a bit more attention to the talent in the smaller offices. We are killing ourselves to make things work, take a look once and a while. Start looking at who's doing what and who's not doing anything, and make decisions accordingly.
    Too much middle management. TRAIN.PROMOTE.GROW.
    These things will help retain the good people.

I worked at Epsilon full-time

Pros

Hard working professionals
    Leading edge technology
    Casual dress code
    Flexible hours

Cons

Work was based on client contract
    Long hours on some client teams
    Merit increases did not reflect number of hours put in