Equilar

Updated February 17, 2015
3.3

Equilar CEO David Chun
David Chun

Dot-com vibe with a recent emphasis on renewal

I worked at Equilar

Pros

I was admittedly dubious after reading some of the other reviews here. Having joined after those reviews were written, I believe the company is on a path toward reinvention and renewal in products and perhaps some of the day-to-day culture. Ultimately, as a small/medium private entity, there's a little bit of everything on a small/medium scale: rec area and games for the younger employees, kitchen area, etc. The infrastructure is fairly modern. The organization offers slightly above-average benefits, health, transportation, 401k. The environment is supportive and individuals recognized for their work. The CEO seemed like a genuine, earnest person, highly passionate about the company and also highly fastidious, which might feel intrustive for some individuals, though for analytical problem-solvers, the engagement and feedback could be welcome.

Cons

Though benefits are slightly above-average, base pay may be somewhat below by Silicon Valley standards. Company operates in a niche industry, executive compensation, so the over-arching mission may have a limited appeal for some.

The path you've chosen for renewal seems positive.

Research Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Equilar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small company with high turnover leads to constant chance to try new things. Work with other young, smart UC grads.

Cons

About the high turnover - you will get saddled with extra work load and no additional compensation. Management doesn't want to hire more people or replace the ones that left. And forget about hiring the talent that is needed, no money to pay for those since it all goes to the CEO's vacation houses and apartments. Do not become salaried. That leads to 50-60 hour week weeks guaranteed. Promotion are not merit based but time based and how much management likes you. Another person left the company? Here have a title promotion with double the work and no pay increase. If you take a job here realize everyone is just trying to beef up their resume before leaving or they were suckered into the equity plan and have too much invested in the company to leave. There was a referral bonus, but I never used it because I would never want a friend working here.

Hire the talent you need and pay for it. Respect the talent you have and develop it. Fire people that do no work and take credit for others. Get the company to believe in your CEO.

Small company with good benefits

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Equilar longer (8 years) than anywhere I've been around a long time. I've seen it grow from tiny to huge. There are some great and very smart people here. Small company so got to work on multiple projects which helped me to learn a lot.

Exiting work and always learned something new in terms of technology or process. Management has their ears open, huge opportunities for people with skills, time when major changes are happening.

Not only is the health insurance is good but there are lots of other benefits like tuition reimbursement, 401-k match, profit distribution, incentive bonus and perks like team events, company picnic, Free Cal-train yearly pass, onsite-gym and many more.

Cons

I live in South bay so commute is killing. I wish I get a chance to work from home once a week and save my commute time.

Grateful this is the company I joined out of college, has been great for career growth

I have been working at Equilar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training/career development is hands down the best thing you'll get out of working at Equilar. From the get-go the company introduces you to each department so that you can start to learn about the company as a whole and what it's like to work in each individual team. It's easy to meet each department executive and start to build relationships for future career development. The first year of training on Research may not be for everyone but it's still a solid learning experience that helps build your understanding of corporate America and opens up all the other doors at the company. At the time it was hard to get through but in hindsight no regrets. Also, the Rotation program now makes it easy to explore while you're an analyst. And the number of different things I've gotten to do and challenges I've been given after my first year - there's no way I would have gotten this at another company.

The other big pro for me has been stability. I have tons of friends who hop from start up to start up, get contract positions in hopes of full time employment, or get laid off because of lack of funding (and this was at big name companies like GoPro, Zynga, Google, and others). Equilar has a good business model and steady cash flow - I'm grateful this is the company I joined out of college so that I didn't have to worry about job stability as I grew my career.

Lastly, the employees are awesome. Everyone here is genuinely nice and given that work is where you spend a good chunk of your adult life, spending it around people you like makes all the difference.

Cons

Until I started working for someone more senior in the company, I wasn't getting much from my manager. I had a good mentor who was in the department I wanted to pursue which helped, but nothing can take the place of having an experienced manager that you look up to.

This is probably true for all companies, but there could be more communication. Employees feel in the dark or forgotten when it comes to some business decisions which turns into frustration. Lack of experience doesn't mean employees shouldn't be involved. Make sure communication is making it all the way down to even the most entry-level employees.

Hard to know if some of the company's new projects are really going to make it. I guess this is true for a lot of startup initiatives, but anything you can do to reassure employees that the business plan is going to pan out would help.

See the things mentioned in the cons section above.

Many Opportunities and Many Headaches

I have been working at Equilar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you start out in Research, you can end up just about anywhere in the company. From your first day, you're doing primarily data entry. This gets mind-numbingly dull pretty quickly. But the trick is to have a good attitude, be hard working, be patient, and be curious, and doors will open for you.

A lot of negativity towards research comes from a lack of perspective. Fresh college grads have never worked a full time entry level job. Of course it's going to suck. But you have to start picking up skills and build your career instead of complaining.

Another positive is having time to explore new skills. Programs like LGL, OPI, and rotation give you time and money to do something other than data entry. You have a whole office filled with people to draw inspiration from if you don't know where to start.

Cons

Morale is at an all time low. Many employees are upset about the recent changes that happened to the company. A lot of people are still questioning why these changes happened and strongly disagree with the new direction.

Things aren't built properly here. Everything is rushed, and we never go back to fix the corners that we cut. I would be less concerned if the first implementations were anywhere near half decent. We're hardly a tech company, so management doesn't understand the importance of our insurmountable technical debt. As a result, it always gets pushed off.

Low pay attracts low talent, and we have to deal with it every day. What's worse is that we don't let go of bad people. Good talent realizes they have the experience to find a better job and leave as soon as they can.

Pay closer attention to middle management hired externally. Are they really that effective? I've seen first year analysts with more domain knowledge than some managers. Look for more than just babysitters and yes men. They should be able to learn, too.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket (you know exactly what I'm talking about).

Good entry level job but easy to lose direction

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time

Pros

Good transition from college to work life. Coworkers are mostly young fresh college graduates and are easy to get along with. You start out as a Research Analyst which is basically a data entry job with a certain degree of specialization in reading SEC documents and understanding executive pay. After about a year, opportunities for rotating to other departments are highly likely.

Cons

Lack of any significant career advancement beyond research department. Career movement is mostly horizontal (e.g. switching between departments) rather than vertically in one department. Employee turnover is still a big problem but has improved recently.

Stable, smart, forward thinking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Self-sustaining and profitable, Equilar is unusual for the Bay Area – in a good way. A great place to grow your technical and business skills out of school, or to be a leader if you have 3-10 years of experience. Good upward mobility and company perks. The leadership team is new and top-notch – providing an exciting and well-planned opportunity over the next couple years. The CEO is a smart businessman and engaged on the ground with the company. Minus occasional seasonal or release-related pushes, working hours are 9-5.

Cons

Hiring prospects tend to be outbid by start-ups during recruitment, since Equilar is budget-conscious (i.e., sustainable). Overall, technical skills in the company are mostly junior-level.

Some smart and talented people

I have been working at Equilar full-time

Pros

Equilar was my first full-time job out of college. Many job experiences tell you what it is that you don't want to do, but Equilar actually helped me discover what it is that I want to do. Take advantage of the rotation program as it does expose you to different job functions outside of research as well as within research.

Hard work and taking initiative are recognized.

There are some smart and talented people that work here, and these are the people that you want to work with and learn from. It's relatively easy to get to work with them because the company is small.

Cons

Compensation is low, particularly for Research Analysts

Tenure matters to an extent

The work load of someone senior may seem questionable

Great place to get your first "real world" experience

Former Intern - Research Analyst Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Intern - Research Analyst Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equilar as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Equilar really does a great job of exposing their new hires to all types of tools. Prior to working at Equilar I had hardly any exposure to Excel and absolutely no experience with SQL. In just a few months they were able to train me and give me a great base from which to expand my knowledge with these programs.

The people that work there are really cool! Lots of young-grads that are straight out of college and looking to hang out and have a good time.

Their rotation program is a great opportunity for people in research is a good way to give young people exposure to all aspects of the company. Once the busy season is over (March-April) they give analysts the chance to "rotate" into different departments i.e engineering, sales, product management, which seems to be a pretty unique opportunity.

Works tend to be steady and analysts are generally not expected to work more than 8 hours per day. The one exception to this is during proxy season, which can be brutal and times and often requires research to stay 10+ hours a day (March-April).

Cons

One of the biggest problems that I had here was that the managers who manage the majority of research people are only a few years older than those analysts and have little to no experience in people management. They do not do a good job of conveying their messages to their employees and are constantly goofing around with each other while other people are hard at work. There is no type of positive-reinforcement, only negative. In the short-time I worked there the good work I was doing was rarely acknowledged and only the negative aspects of my productivity were being discussed with me.

Time-sheets. This is a clock-in/clock-out system for research analysts who just started; meaning that if you show up five minutes late you HAVE to stay five-minutes later and it's just annoying to deal with a system.

The pay is poor here. I left here and immediately saw a 50% increase in my salary and there are no time-sheets!

Bottom line - get in get your experience and get out. This place breeds mediocrity but is a nice place to come in and earn a fancy title and some quality experience to put on your resume.

Get more experienced managers. People who are messing around at work all the time should not be charged with running the most important part of your organization. They seem to be more into themselves and their clique than they are with making sure their employees are doing their work .

Good company to work for out of college

I worked at Equilar

Pros

It is a great place to work for recent college graduates. You will be surrounded by smart, hard-working individuals who are also friendly. The company has an open environment and through monthly meetings, you will learn what each of the departments is working on as well as the progress and future plans of the organization. If you want to transfer to another department, it may not always be feasible, but the managers will always willing to consider it.

Cons

The company culture has improved over the years, but micromanagement is still a big issue. You are expected to arrive by a certain time and leave after a certain time. If you take too long of a lunch, you will be questioned. Somebody is always watching your monitors.