Equinix

Be The First To
Add Photos

Equinix President & CEO Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, good pay package, nice hard working people, growing company with global presence"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good people across all organizations"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company is experiencing serious growing pains"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work-life balance is lauded by top executives, but in reality, it's frowned upon"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Temp to hire

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsI had the opportunity to meet some great people
    The work was challenging in the beginning

ConsPay was below average

Upper management would not provide solid answers in a timely manner

Unorganized

If they hire you as 'temp to hire', even if you perform well they will most likely not take you on. They have constant budgetary issues and don't want to invest in people long term. They take people on, make them believe they will stay in the role permanently as long they you perform well, but once you start asking for feedback they just keep saying 'they don't know' or 'we have no answers at this time'. They also have zero courtesy, they will give you only a few days notice that you are let go. You work hard, perform well, show respect but at the end of the day your efforts are pointless. Find a company that appreciates intelligent candidates with a positive and professional attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to need temp workers, please clearly indicate that! People have lives, bills to pay and many require stability. Do not imply that a permeant role is just based on performance if your budget cannot handle it or if you are not serious about taking on new team members. Be honest with candidates from day 1 and tell them that this is temporary role and not a 'temp to hire'. It's misleading and not fair to others.

Great company, really messed up marketing org

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsSome truly wonderful people. Good compensation. Great business model poised for continued success.

ConsThe company is experiencing serious growing pains. The marketing organization is in upheaval and the politics are embarrassingly bad. Teams plot against one another. Executives and middle management alike are fighting to stay relevant so they are always managing upward, plotting against their peers and posturing. Management does nothing to support their teams and even offer up the occasional scape goat for slaughter as a distraction. Work-life balance is lauded by top executives, but in reality, it's frowned upon. Some of the highest paid executives work from home offices in remote locations (even at the c-level) while individual contributors located at headquarters are discouraged from telecommuting even a day a week.

Advice to Senior Management-Put the microscope down on the marketing organization and start addressing the bad behavior running rampant in the management ranks.
    -Start investing in employees instead of treating them like easily replaceable commodities. -Create a real vision for the company and make sure it's communicated at every level so we're all working toward identifiable goals (and I don't mean numbers)
    -Try to manage the culture more closely, because it's changing, and not for the better.

Great company but avoid joining the Marketing department now - the office politics is unbearable

(Current Employee)

ProsAbove average salary, some great talented people, sense of community as a company

ConsOne of the worst marketing organizations I've ever joined - I'm looking for a way out. People in "management" roles don't seem to know what they are doing and will step on anyone to gain more control and power. The company is going through some growing pains as some reviewers mentioned with older management clashing with the new for more power and relevance, creating massive dysfunction that doesn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon. The unprofessional, back-stabbing, cunning and plotting behavior I've witnessed towards others (particularly by new management) and experienced myself first hand is absolutely appalling. I've never seen anything like this in my many years in the industry. A few folks I know left for this reason. Others still here like me are actively looking to leave. Dealing with the stress and negativity weighs on a person after a while and just isn't worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a close eye on the marketing department and stop rewarding bad behavior to marketing management that doesn't perform and who continuously provide excuses for their poor performance or show toxic treatment towards people and teams they feel threatened by. I recommend you examine middle to upper management carefully and seriously consider an overhaul before it negatively affects the otherwise great culture of the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cannot recommend at this time

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat salary, nice work environment/space, industry leader

ConsSorry to burst all the glowing reviews here, but I feel compelled to give my two cents as a former employee for whatever it's worth. I remember joining the company with such great enthusiasm and the genuine intention of making a difference, knowing the history and legacy of the company. But over time, my morale and motivation deteriorated to toxic levels.

Equinix is a great company in some ways - fantastic offerings, great compensation, and an industry leader, but has the worst politically-charged environment and suffers from poor overall management and a general lack of accountability. For non-performers or those who exhibit unethical or unprofessional behavior, HR/Managers don't seem to take action around this when reported. Redundant/unneeded roles are in place or made to "custom-fit" existing employees to keep them, while the talent REALLY required (and with the vital skills needed) for certain roles goes unfilled or is filled by incompetent staff. This leaves the few workers that actually do know how to do the work and are considered reliable to unfairly pick up the slack.

Many in my previous department like to do as little work as possible but are quick to make sure (by ANY means necessary, even if it requires back-stabbing or sabotaging co-workers) they get credit for work they don't actually do at the expense of others. There is more concern for getting recognition (even if undeserved) and political power plays vs. doing what's best for the company. Executives/Authority figures are put in management or critical roles when they have no previous experience actually doing those roles or are simply incompetent or incapable. If you don't care, and you are there to just pick up a paycheck and stock options, then this may be the perfect place for you.

Overall the most disappointing work experience of my career to date, and I've worked at a variety of different companies in varying degrees of size and maturity. Unfortunately, due to my experiences and the current organizational management/structure I cannot recommend this company to anyone at this time, especially my professional friends and colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite my negative experiences, I wish the company well and think there is so much potential for success and change. Among the bad seeds there are some good ones I enjoyed working with who are talented and have good intentions, but suffer under poor management. You have the opportunity to manage a great (and growing) company with the best offerings in the industry. Make sure you hire model management staff/authority that actually have experience in the roles they were hired to do and most importantly, have the genuine passion, character, transparency, dedication and integrity to propel the company forward towards a successful future. Make sure there is accountability for those who don't perform and/or demonstrate toxic, unethical or unprofessional behavior, instead of doing nothing or rewarding them - this doesn't help employee morale and quickly and negatively affects team dynamics.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsEveryone was super nice to me and they are all very helpful.

Consnothing really. Equinix is great.

Equinix is a great company to work for other than Dallas location.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsPay, holiday, vacation, free drinks and yearly bonus.

ConsManagement is very poor, they do not give support to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds Improvement and need to be trained to handle people with proper management skills.

Great People and Generous Compensation

Manager (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat people to work with and fun.
    Very flexible.
    Very generous and give competitive compensation.

ConsLack of growth opportunities within the company.
    Getting very stressful due to some many projects with strict deadlines.
    Organization structure is upside-down triangle with so many people holding senior management title with same level of authority and it can create disorder and chaos.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is so focused on business goals, needs to take a bit more time to see what employees want/need.

DO NOT accept a contract position with the TA and HR departments at Equinix!

Sourcer (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsBeautiful office environment over-looking a peaceful lagoon.

ConsThe disrespectful way in which contractors are treated at this company is reminiscent of India's caste system. Here's why:

1. Contractors were not allowed in HR meetings or off-site meetings that include discussions of future strategy, pertinent information, support, process, etc. In fact, you will be told that you are not allowed to enter a meeting room. Hmmm... Gistapo tactics? The sad part is there were VERY few discussions which contained confidential information - clearly team-building is inclusive of only the FTEs here.

3. What? You're a contractor? You can't park in our parking lot adjacent to our building, you must park at Bldg 3 or beyond if you're lucky to find parking. I always love coming to a place of employment and walking (and schlepping) with a purse and laptop backpack a mile to get to the office. Oh and add high heels to the mix as there are business casual attire is frowned upon. You may want to add an hour on to your morning commute to actually make a morning meeting.

4. Management, oh god, where's the humanity?!!! So, I saw more changes in process and management than a hormonal tweener! Granted this happens in growing companies but Equinix didn't take Advil for their growing pains, they took Darvocet and fell asleep at the wheel!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to truly develop your employer brand, start with treating your employees AND contractors with respect. Empower individuals to

Great place to work. Bad management in Chicago area.

Senior Network Tech (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat pay and average benefits.

ConsBad management in the Chicago area.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say no to any offer in Chicago. It will follow you to the grave.

Good crew, Management is so so. IF you want training, you better already have it

IBX Network Technician (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood team work, met some good guys. OT was hardly frowned upon. Nice stock plan. Decent benefits. Always had a good Christmas party.

ConsMicro managed, site is near capacity for cross connects in certain parts. THey like to cherry pick OSHA rules especially with ladders, but techs will whiz by on portable scafolding without locking them down when running cross connects. Absolutely no external training unless its from a salesmen. Majority of work is removing old cables. I've seen employees try to advance and management hold them back. Pay is average for the industry depending on qualifications and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up

Worked for Equinix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Equinix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Equinix CEO Stephen M. Smith . All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Equinix employees.