Equinix Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.1

Equinix President & CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • Knowledgeable people, great benefits, flexible schedule (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay package, nice hard working people, growing company with global presence (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is lauded by top executives, but in reality, it's frowned upon (in 5 reviews)

• The company is experiencing serious growing pains (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Global Operations Analyst

I worked at Equinix full-time

Pros

Good medical, dental, ESPP, 401K benefits

Cons

I worked as a part of the Global Operations Strategy team for 9 months at Equinix. It is the worst experience I have ever had working in Silicon Valley. The work atmosphere is extremely hostile - constant bickering,bombarding. While Equinix is a great company to work for, the global operations department has the lowest employee satisfaction ratings and the way it is run speaks for it. There is no room for creativity, innovation- just do what you are told to do. There is a lot of favoritism - if you are in the good books of management your life is comfortable and good, else you are in hell! There is a top down management execution failure in this department. I would advise anyone to stay away from the Global Operations strategy team at Equinix.

Great place to work prior to dot-com crash

Former Employee - NSE  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - NSE in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very smart people, very forward-thinking people

Cons

Dot-com crash created serious cash crunch

Stay focused.

This boat will sink soon enough.

Former Employee - Sales and Leasing  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Leasing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary and compensation. The colo data center environment is a great place to be.

Cons

Old and tired micro management leadership with a peddler mentality. Working at Telx is a nightmare. The top performers are getting their numbers and success through attrition and their assigned account base. Over 80%+ of "new" sales are with existing customers and logos. New reps are left to fend for themselves with little support and many never get accounts and are pushed out of the business with 3-5 months. Deals are split between reps just because a rep has an account in their name in SF and this creates a great deal of favoritism and exclusion.

Clean house! The leadership might have been the right leadership to get the company rolling, but it is not the leadership needed to take the company and it's people to the next level. Help new reps by giving them accounts they can build from while also hunting down new logos.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture of mediocrity.

I have been working at Equinix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, nice facilities, lots of food around, always busy.

Cons

At HQ, lack of leadership, lack of senior visibility, a culture of avoiding decision-making, making promises and committments without follow-through. A few outstanding people make the others look truly incompetent. A work culture where late nights, constant changes and decisions that are constantly revisited or never made at all forces the good people to throw up their hands and to give up. Inflated titles don't make people into leaders.

You hire a tremendous number of consultants & contractors. Try listening to them. And take a serious look at your bench strength: 40% of your staff at HQ are B-C quality performers.

Lots of Hot Shots, Strange Approach to Staffing

I have been working at Equinix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The facilities and resources are great. There are a lot of opportunities to make things happen, and people are open to incorporating you on different projects.

Cons

I work in marketing and the sense I get from my managers is that the whole management show is pretty open-ended. You can pretty much do what you think is good, and there is little coordination between marketing initiatives across teams/departments. It's like we are children who just got a bunch of play-doh (money) and the teacher went outside to smoke a cigarette.

Set some boundaries, make the necessary changes.

Temp to hire

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Equinix full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had the opportunity to meet some great people
    The work was challenging in the beginning

Cons

Pay was below average

Upper management would not provide solid answers in a timely manner

Unorganized

If they hire you as 'temp to hire', even if you perform well they will most likely not take you on. They have constant budgetary issues and don't want to invest in people long term. They take people on, make them believe they will stay in the role permanently as long they you perform well, but once you start asking for feedback they just keep saying 'they don't know' or 'we have no answers at this time'. They also have zero courtesy, they will give you only a few days notice that you are let go. You work hard, perform well, show respect but at the end of the day your efforts are pointless. Find a company that appreciates intelligent candidates with a positive and professional attitude.

If you are going to need temp workers, please clearly indicate that! People have lives, bills to pay and many require stability. Do not imply that a permeant role is just based on performance if your budget cannot handle it or if you are not serious about taking on new team members. Be honest with candidates from day 1 and tell them that this is temporary role and not a 'temp to hire'. It's misleading and not fair to others.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time for less than a year

Pros

great flexibility

intelligent management

innovative technology

love the happy hours on Thursday

management shares information with the team

Cons

A lot of top exec positions are hired from the outside

not a lot of opportunities for people in management jobs

sometimes management does not listen to teams

AWESOME

Current Employee - IBX Network Technician
    Current Employee - IBX Network Technician

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and decent wages

Cons

Not many company perks besides free coffee and soda.

Great company, really messed up marketing org

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some truly wonderful people. Good compensation. Great business model poised for continued success.

Cons

The company is experiencing serious growing pains. The marketing organization is in upheaval and the politics are embarrassingly bad. Teams plot against one another. Executives and middle management alike are fighting to stay relevant so they are always managing upward, plotting against their peers and posturing. Management does nothing to support their teams and even offer up the occasional scape goat for slaughter as a distraction. Work-life balance is lauded by top executives, but in reality, it's frowned upon. Some of the highest paid executives work from home offices in remote locations (even at the c-level) while individual contributors located at headquarters are discouraged from telecommuting even a day a week.

-Put the microscope down on the marketing organization and start addressing the bad behavior running rampant in the management ranks.
    -Start investing in employees instead of treating them like easily replaceable commodities. -Create a real vision for the company and make sure it's communicated at every level so we're all working toward identifiable goals (and I don't mean numbers)
    -Try to manage the culture more closely, because it's changing, and not for the better.

Great company but avoid joining the Marketing department now - the office politics is unbearable

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Above average salary, some great talented people, sense of community as a company

Cons

One of the worst marketing organizations I've ever joined - I'm looking for a way out. People in "management" roles don't seem to know what they are doing and will step on anyone to gain more control and power. The company is going through some growing pains as some reviewers mentioned with older management clashing with the new for more power and relevance, creating massive dysfunction that doesn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon. The unprofessional, back-stabbing, cunning and plotting behavior I've witnessed towards others (particularly by new management) and experienced myself first hand is absolutely appalling. I've never seen anything like this in my many years in the industry. A few folks I know left for this reason. Others still here like me are actively looking to leave. Dealing with the stress and negativity weighs on a person after a while and just isn't worth it.

Keep a close eye on the marketing department and stop rewarding bad behavior to marketing management that doesn't perform and who continuously provide excuses for their poor performance or show toxic treatment towards people and teams they feel threatened by. I recommend you examine middle to upper management carefully and seriously consider an overhaul before it negatively affects the otherwise great culture of the company.

Worked for Equinix? Contribute to the Community!