Equinox Fitness

Equinox Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Equinox Fitness President Sarah Robb O'Hagan

Sarah Robb O'Hagan

Pros:
  • "you get a free gym membership (kinda)"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Free gym membership (if you in to working out) 40% off at retail store clothing (even tho every item is marketed up 33%)"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance, hard to take a vacation because you miss your goals if you miss work"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There is little to no work/life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Orange is the new.... equinox.

Massage Therapist (Current Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working here for the first couple of months, free membership was probably the best perk out of the whole deal.

ConsYou know that Massage Therapist you see in the front lobby providing chair demo's for tons of ungrateful people, that want more more and free free.

That Board Certified professional is making 8 Dollars and hour doing that. LESS than minimum wage.

The ONLY way you can survive as an equniox employee is if you have a great backup plan, you are part of management or you are a trust fund baby that only needs a job to kill time.
    Equinox does advertise, So the only way you know that they actually have a spa is if you walk past the sign that says "Spa".

When monthly numbers are not reached, Therapists are scolded like 3 year olds that made a no-no in their pants. Kind of like it is expected we are supposed to pull magical clientele out of our tushy .

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate employees more, Give more incentives other than "If you want to eat, this week You better preform some services"

Employees are happy when there are things to work towards, other than filling corporate pockets with millions of dollars. While the people actually putting in the blood sweat and tears in at this company can maybe afford ramen noodles and pay an eighth of their rent.

Equinox made me do it! And I quit.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree gym memberships but black out times.

ConsDoes not care about employees. Management rules through fear of your job. The turnover ratio at corporate is like 40% and 80% in the clubs especially sales and pt. For corporate only directors get a bonus and difficult to get promoted unless your fluffing the right vp or higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are the face of the company and the only differential between you and the competition is our customer service. You can learn something from Danny Meyer and soulcycle.

Cool Gym to work in, Great members, Area/Regional Shop mgmt. unethical...

The Shop Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsMembers are very cool and facilities are innovative. Equinox has established a brand identity that is very appealing and attracts celebrities, people of influence. The P/T Dept. has many outstanding personal trainers who, at least in the Dallas clubs, are dedicated to Fitness and personal improvement. Upper level Shop Corporate (NYC) staff are/were mostly down-to-earth, positive and constructive. If you're into Fitness you will love your free membership! The Shop carries a unique mix of fun athletic and casual wear that is fun to sell. Developing retail clients is easy as the same crowd was in the gym all the time. GM was fair (though I can't say he was big on personality). The latest PTM, FM, Group Fitness manager and Pilates manager, from my vantage point, were excellent.

ConsShop MOD, Area and Regional management was ethically challenged and consistently struggled to demonstrate management skills. Area manager would resort to slander and libel to fire those she didn't like and also would cover for staff she liked that slept on the job, showed up hours late/under the influence or didn't do their job. Shop became a total "Girl's Club". If you were not a sorority "sis" or "girl" who put your female co-worker's feelings above what was best for business you would most certainly be fired. Denial/Retaliation from Area and Regional Shop mgmt. was common if concerns were raised. Instruction from Area manager often opposed Regional manager. Often Area mgmt.'s decisions were based on emotion/personal motives rather than what was good for business, client retention and sales. The member experience and company mission statement were conflicted by rigid, confusing and punitive Shop policies. Commission was dependent on achieving a Shop goal but lazy associates/managers with poor sales were tolerated. Manic calls, emails and texts were common on days off and most were entirely unnecessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat gym and P/T dept. but you ought to take the Shop Dept. seriously too. Pay more to get good, or even decent, Shop managers and see more than just a handful of shops hit their goal! Don't create a competitive sales environment with aggressive goals and then allow Area/Regional Shop managers to punish associates for being aggressive in getting sales. Should be seen as a business not a Kindergarten. Fire managers who employ retaliation. Insist employees of the on-site café be background checked rather than label Equinox staff who are uncomfortable working around felons as "disruptive". Stand by your 24 hour hold policy on merchandise! Don't allow special associates to hold piles of new merch. for days on end and then retaliate against eager staff who actually sell those items to members begging for them in-store! Consider hiring Regional Shop managers who will manage rather than send the same tired "Sell, Sell, Sell" emails while ignoring training and significant Shop and staff issues. Strongly consider drug-testing managers and staff who are responsible for inventory, cash and member credit card info. Hold quarterly Gym-wide meetings/events to build enthusiasm for the club. Most staff I knew sadly had a negative view of Equinox.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's definitely a mixed bag here

Fitness Department Management (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWell....you get a free gym membership (kinda)
    You do come across some smart and talented people but they are far and few in between. The locations are really nice and very clean.

ConsPay...it's low for management. Too low for expectations set.
    No or very little help from more senior management. I think their hearts are in the right place but too few knowledgeable/ talented people up top to get to everyone.
    Can be a very hostile place socially. If you're nice and easy going you will not make it here. These kinds of people get eaten by the aggressive social wolf pack
    High management turnover, this should be a red flag to anyone wanting to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep you eyes open...there are a lot of very bad things that go on from the APTM level and down. People are left unchecked. There needs to be more accountability with people that goes beyond a conference call or email. It's very easy to lie and tell people "it's all good here boss" on an email when it is anything but. Be involved with the business at the ground level, follow your APTMs and GMs around for a while and I think you'd be shocked at what you see.

Good company

Membership Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsDecent compensation and friendly people

ConsWay too many hours and no reall time off

Growth Mode = Churn & Burn

ProsBenefits are great. Free Gym Membership.

ConsDisorganized. Lack of Communication. Culture of Fear at times. Daily scrutiny of sales numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer development for your employees is necessary if you wish to take the brand to the next level. Without it, you will lose talent with valuable institutional knowledge that is necessary to maintain the business as you have established it.

Personal trainer

ProsHis is a great place to start out as a trainer. The education is free and very thorough if you pay attention. After that it's like any other big gym. If you hustle and live in the gym for the first 6 months, you can do pretty well. It's not a good gig for part timers.

ConsHe company is growing very fast and the quality of trainer that are coming in seems to be getting watered down the same is true with management where there is a high turnover rate.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK!

ProsFriendly atmosphere, vacation, sick and personal time and great health benefits

ConsNeed to have more promotions within

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

If you are in the fitness business. Equinox is it.

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)

Prosbeautiful facility
    passionate people
    innovative and results based culture
    your success is entirely on your results

Consorganization can be a bit cultish
    very demanding operational responsibilities in the AGM
    close out every month with 4 straight work days

Advice to Senior Managementclose out hours can be tough, guys. facility budgeting can be improved. high standards need carefully allocated resources.

Over worked - under paid

Manager (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsFree membership and nice products

ConsPeople, company, HR, employee's, worth ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementI was upper management - you can find more elsewhere.

Worked for Equinox Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Equinox Fitness Videos

Equinox Fitness – Why Work for Us?

Daringly Disruptive We believe that everyone has untapped potential within them and it take a disruptive approach to unleash it. We value unique characters that push us outside our comfort zone. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Equinox Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Equinox Fitness CEO Sarah Robb O'Hagan. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Equinox Fitness employees.