Equinox Fitness

Updated January 24, 2015
3.1

Equinox Fitness President Sarah Robb O'Hagan
Sarah Robb O'Hagan

Pros
  • The free gym membership is incredible, but not worth it in the end (in 51 reviews)

• Free gym membership (if you in to working out) 40% off at retail store clothing (even tho every item is marketed up 33%) (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, hard to take a vacation because you miss your goals if you miss work (in 14 reviews)

• Very long hours at the end of the month (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible work environment

I have been working at Equinox Fitness

Pros

You can make lots of money if you want to work 14 hour days

Cons

They couldn't care less about your family or social life. There is absolutely no life balance.

I always have to question how short sighted companies can be by thinking the most important factor on a job is simply compensation. If they took the time to look at just about any survey of things employees ranked as the most important factors related to job satisfaction, they would find that compensation is somewhere in the middle. Work/Life Balance, the ability to have achievable goals, relationship with management and employees, and job security almost always are higher up the chart than compensation. If those are things that are important to you, this is not the company for you.

Its not Fitness, It's Life

Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay with opportunity for advancement, ever since I started with the company I did nothing but keep exceeding my goals and getting a different promotion.
    Complimentary club membership
    Discounts on services, products and much more

Cons

can't really think of any con

Keep up the good work, and remember everyone from the maintain crew up to the GM IN the club are a vital part of the club and work as a team.

Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful facilities with good clientele. Clean and up to date. Wonderful employees and caring staff. Inspiration all around and great continuing education program.

Cons

As a personal trainer, you make peanuts compared to what the client pays. My tier pays $125 per session and with hourly wage I see $35 of that. Highway robbery if you ask me. I bonus structure helps, but its not amazing home unless you're hitting a high level bonus.

A company that doesn't give a crap about their employees

Current Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a free gym membership and there's luxury products in the locker rooms. Coworkers are really nice and friendly.

Cons

Many many things! I didn't voluntarily start working at Equinox. The previous fitness club that I worked for sold the property to Equinox for a profit (the previous company was more a real estate company, so I understand), so it resulted in a buy out. We transitioned as to an Equinox and adapted all of their policies and procedures. I stayed because I need the money and Equinox was not going to lower our previous hourly rate.

The first thing that they did was require that we take a lunch. I only work 5 hours every shift, so that would cut my paycheck significantly every cycle.

The next thing was they switch my schedule without telling me! They would make me work every other day, like working every other Friday. They don't ask and just change it and assume that you will be okay with that. That cut my paycheck even more!

There is no appreciation for us at all! They hold you to the highest standard of customer service (ring up sessions, check in people, address complaints, answer the phone, do the class count, etc.). Equinox is open everyday of the year (Including Thanksgiving and Christmas) so that means there's no breaks.

Equinox's structure of procedures and organization is horrible. They don't have reasoning for the changes they do and only make things more complicated. I have members complain, scream, and cuss you out like there is no tomorrow because the Equinox process is so much slower and more complicated than our previous company policies!

Why? Pretty sure mangement doesn't read this stuff.

Got Hired, started the training process, never got payed for the training.

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Great Neck, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fancy gym, a lot of equipment.

Cons

No life balance, everyone is so stuck up , no schedule, low salary, work work work. I got hired, started the training process which you get payed for however I decided to not work there because they wanted me to quit my other job to be there all the time and I had told them since the beginning i couldn't. They said they would still pay me for the training process however NEVER got payed!

Stop being so stuck up and trying to be so perfect as people and as a club.

Equinox review

I have been working at Equinox Fitness

Pros

Good people, fun environment, OK benefits

Cons

Horrible pay, no work life balance. Work too many hours for the little pay you get

invest in employees

Front Desk Clerk

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very open schedule, ability to have complementary club membership, great employees discounts. Good atmosphere to work.

Cons

No room to grow, management of club very unprofessional. Pay is very low compared to similar jobs in the city.

Clubs have great talent throughout. it will be a good idea to consider feedback from line employees to have a better idea on what is going on. Also in the process of obtaining members surveys questions about club management should be included.

Great for College Students

Former Employee - The Shop Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - The Shop Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Equinox Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free membership and you're able to bring a friend.

Cons

Minimum wage, part time hours if you're not an advisor or working in the shop.

Management varies depends on the club you work for.

Great

I worked at Equinox Fitness

Pros

Gym membership
    Vacation
    Paid time off
    classes
    Great employees

Cons

Compensation low
    Long shifts
    no lunch pay
    All about fitness

Promotion available

minimum wage, great benefits (full gym access), entitled members

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Equinox Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As an employee, you get full access to the gym--monthly memberships usually start ~$150. The showers are nicer than mine at home (Kiehl's products!), and my managers were always flexible with scheduling requests. Great networking potential with some members!

Cons

As a part-time front desk employee, no real benefits re: healthcare. Some, but not all, of the client base feel as though they are superior to all who walk this planet, and they can be a pain to deal with. No free parking.