Equinox Fitness Reviews

1 Rating

Good Place to Start Out

Current Employee - Equinox Personal Trainer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Equinox Personal Trainer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of in-house educational opportunities
    Beautiful, clean facilities
    Very friendly staff- I love my coworkers
    Good benefits package for those who stay at full-time (42 training sessions per 2-week pay period)

Cons

I agree with the reviewer who called it "a cold, soul-less corporation"
    Both the trainers' office and break room are cramped, poorly-maintained spaces
    Demeaning advertising campaign that objectifies bodies, rather than celebrating and encouraging health from within, and fitness as a lifestyle
    Too much emphasis on trainers "hitting their numbers" (ie, crank out as many training sessions as you can), and these performance numbers are emailed out to all the other trainers to foster competition (ugh!)
    For many trainers, their own health and fitness falls by the wayside as they struggle to keep up their session load, attend meetings, etc.
    Trainer burnout and mediocre earnings = high turnover
    The majority don't make even close to $100,000. Half that number is closer to reality.
    These clubs are built in expensive areas, and trainers need to live nearby if they want quality of life. It is challenging to pay local rents, let alone be able to afford to buy a house here.
    Getting new clients will rely, in good part, on your hitting up the Membership Advisers on a regular basis.
    More and more new trainers being added on a regular basis, so getting new clients and staying at full-time status becomes even more of a challenge for many

Advice to Management

Trainers need to be treated like the gold they are to these clubs. Consider ways to create more work-life balance, assist in helping your staff find affordable local housing, give trainers clean, modern areas with enough space in which to do office work and rest, eat, etc. Value the trainers' time- use in-person meeting sparingly. Be honest about earnings expectations. New client leads should be facilitated through the personal training department manager and should not depend on how chummy the trainer gets with the MA's. Keep the process fair.

Churn and Burn! You will be paid minimum wage for practically everything while you try to get to 21 sessions a week.

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make some money in your short stay once you get to 21 hours (but you'll be burnt out in 4-6 months). All they care about is money.

Cons

Micromanagement to the max, forget your life (they own you). I've never worked for a company this bad before. They acquired our former company and of the 50+ trainers we had, over 30 have quit since they took over (October). They are relentless in forcing you to get to 21 sessions (you will probably have to work 13-14 hour days) By the time you do get to 21 sessions, you will be so burnt out that you are frustrated and angry. And then you'll quit. The work environment is terrible and management has no concern whatsoever for its employees.

Advice to Management

Not worth it to mention any as they don't listen to a word their employees or members say.

A company that doesn't give a crap about their employees

Current Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get a free gym membership and there's luxury products in the locker rooms. Coworkers are really nice and friendly.

Cons

Many many things! I didn't voluntarily start working at Equinox. The previous fitness club that I worked for sold the property to Equinox for a profit (the previous company was more a real estate company, so I understand), so it resulted in a buy out. We transitioned as to an Equinox and adapted all of their policies and procedures. I stayed because I need the money and Equinox was not going to lower our previous hourly rate.

The first thing that they did was require that we take a lunch. I only work 5 hours every shift, so that would cut my paycheck significantly every cycle.

The next thing was they switch my schedule without telling me! They would make me work every other day, like working every other Friday. They don't ask and just change it and assume that you will be okay with that. That cut my paycheck even more!

There is no appreciation for us at all! They hold you to the highest standard of customer service (ring up sessions, check in people, address complaints, answer the phone, do the class count, etc.). Equinox is open everyday of the year (Including Thanksgiving and Christmas) so that means there's no breaks.

Equinox's structure of procedures and organization is horrible. They don't have reasoning for the changes they do and only make things more complicated. I have members complain, scream, and cuss you out like there is no tomorrow because the Equinox process is so much slower and more complicated than our previous company policies!

Advice to Management

Why? Pretty sure mangement doesn't read this stuff.

Learn from Equinox, build your resume, then move on

Current Employee - Trainer Then Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Trainer Then Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-beautiful facilities (some of the nicest in the industry)
    -Fast growth potential
    -free gym membership
    -great people/friendly staff
    -good education as a personal trainer (the best in the business)
    -A place to learn business metrics and how to move them

Cons

-high turnover rates, Within your first few months of employment expect to see people come in and out. This is due to the high stress and high expectations put on the workers. The company takes a "churn and burn" mentality with it's employees. The company hopes to employ career trainer however most trainers have "5 year shelf life". The vast majority do not make it past the first year. The company is always hiring due to it's high turnover.
    -Antiquated sales and marketing techniques, in the last 5 years the sales and marketing of the company has not changed. Trainers are required to do "special events" (to showcase skills), do cold calling from call lists, and prospect leads off the floor. While these means of marketing are effective, the company hasn't developed new methodologies to penetrating its memberbase, and sales training is not prioritized in trainer education. The downfall of most trainers is the inability to close.
    -long hours, to be successful as a trainer you will have to work 8-12 hours a day 5-7 days a week. Management will encourage you to spend your days at the club. More than 70% of those hours will be unpaid. Equinox likes to call unpaid labor, "building your business".
    -The goal of training is to become full time which is a session goal per month, be aware that in most clubs less than half of the trainers meet the full time monthly session requirement. Good financial compensation occurs once a trainer attains Full Time Equivalent status every month.
    -Low Pay initially, you start at minimum wage and only make money once you start training, this is determined by your sales closing percentage. Managers determine who the leads go to by the trainers ability to close. If you can't close, be ready for part time minimum wage and long unpaid hours for the long haul. (assuming they don't terminate you for lack of performance, this is determined by your management staff).
    -Close out, as a manager or member of the sales staff, you will be required to work 12 hours a day for the last four days of the month. You will lose your days off as well as holidays if they fall on those "close out days". There is no overtime compensation if you are on salary.
    -Managers are bonused on the departments final sales and sessions goals (based off percentage to monthly sales goal). These goals are very lofty but attainable. You will often have to work on your days off to accomplish these goals. When looking at your monthly dollar per hour, the bonus compensation doesn't match the workload
    -Hard to take time off, as a full time trainer, if you don't produce sessions you don't get paid, no vacation is allotted, if you go on vacation (assuming your manager approves) you do so unpaid. As a manager you never get two days off in a row. For example you will get Thurs/sat or Friday/Sun. Leaving town for a weekend is near impossible and your counterpart will have to come in to help cover you.
    -Antiquated and ineffective advertising outside of the LA and NY area. The company has little to no brand recognition outside of LA and NY, this is due to the sexually explicit fashion based advertising. This lack of diversity and creativity in marketing penetration is compensated for by the management and staff at the club level to drive sales. The end result is long hours for staff members at the local level to build the brand recognition.
    -Equinox's sole solution to the majority of it's problems is manpower. When Equinox has a metric that needs to be adjusted, a sales number to be attained, or a problem to be fixed. It always tackles it with manpower. This results in a overworked staff.
    -Aggressive expansion policies, Every year Equinox opens 1-5 new clubs nation wide (typically in the LA or NY markets, aka more clubs or subsidiary companies, blink fitness, pure yoga etc). These aggressive expansion goals lead to a higher sales budget at the club level. Every year in Jan when the sales goals are determined, they grow exponentially every year.

Advice to Management

-get rid of close out, it kills moral, most if not all of your employees resent it
    -better work life balance, you will keep your employees if they have more work life balance, the company struggles with sales because the seasoned staff leave from being burned out and overworked.
    -create a culture of open forum, the company doesn't allow for open discussion to it's problems, people are expected to fall in line or step to the wayside. Creativity is the solution to the age old sales problem not conformity.

6. Good job, perks good all around

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Membership, environment, fitness industry, work life balance

Cons

tough to make good money, very low base ($1k.month), work weekend, odd hours

Advice to Management

none

7. Awesome

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, professional colleagues, good training program for new trainers. Equipment was always kept in prime working condition and was state of the art.

Cons

Work hours. Up at 5am and in bed around midnight. Could get crowded at times.