Equity LifeStyle Properties

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
1.7

Marguerite Nader

IT MAY BE BETTER THAN NOTHING...maybe.

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has decent wages and PTO.

Cons

I have to agree with previous poster, where do you start? Commission was once great, it's no2 being taken away in large part. The upper management doesn't care one bit about people at the community level. They can't even acknowledge the holidays even though they are lavishing themselves parties and events. They do not know from one week to the next if they are sale or rentals, or sales...uughh. You cannot offer an opinion to anyone higher than you because they don't believe you are as intelligent as they are. The CEO must be blind. Our region is clearly in dirty dealings and it's obvious to everyone around. You don't dare make your concerns known since the person responsible clearly lets you know that you can be dismissed at any time. The best way to get promoted is by kissing up to the right people. Merit means nothing to these people. They have mediocre health care at best and if you are less than a manager you have even less insurance. They grandstand about all their purchases and how much those cost but do nothing for the people who work hardest to provide the company with that money. They cannot see anything long term. They are only worried about presenting the monthly numbers to the stockholders. Someone should investigate some of the obvious bad deals they continue to do with the same companies. Looks like someone is probably getting a large kickback. No person in their right mind would continue to have the company getting ripped off unless their hands were dirty.

I would say I have hit all points but there simply isn't enough time. Unless you have nothing better on the horizon, don't work here.

Ms. Nader needs to see that the problems that are blamed on the community managers go much higher. They are being thrown under the bus to take the attention off of the real crooks you have working for you.

work hard no pay

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Because they are always changing things you get to learn many programs.

Cons

Nobody knows what they are doing.

If you have an employee that is good at something let them do it if it is the best interest of the company. Get new HR people that know all the laws.

Mismanagement

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties

Pros

Good vacation/sick days. Great commissions. The best part of my job has nothing to do with they company but the job itself & being able to assist residents.

Cons

Watching management misuse company property, assests, staff & the unfair treatment of residents & vendors based on race. Management is only concerned with NUMBERS, NUMBER$, NUMBERS!! Of course i mean occupancy numbers. Poor customer relations, once residents move in they're ignored. Management actually purposely avoids residents & corporate doesn't respond to complaints.

Watch your managers/employees ELS. They're stealing right under your noses. Be available to all employees & not just upper management.

Nothing special - dealt with homeowners for property rent and received payments and deposited checks in the bank

Former Employee - Accounting in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting in Kissimmee, FL

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time

Pros

Good company but its been a very long time since I worked there

Cons

Not very careful with the property

no advice

Micromanagement

Current Employee - Resort Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Resort Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with people in a beautiful community on a daily basis.

Cons

Micro management and very little support or consistency on a senior manangement level. Requesting time consuming reports in short periods of time that are not even used, creating undue levels of pressure. Growing to fast to support the properties they do have.

Your employees are your best asset. Micro managing and unrealistic demands on financial return on an investment you are not investing in is unrealistic and sets us all for failure. Invest in the property and invest in your employees and you'll have the best company - with the best returns ever!

Where Do I Begin!

Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I HAD a great immediate supervsor!

Cons

Low pay, long hours, micromanagement, demoralizing conference calls, repetitive financial reporting, poor beneifts with the exception of PTO. I have been in asset management my entire career and am still shocked after 9 years of employment with ELS that it is preferred to allow deferred maintenance and asset deterioration. We, as managers, are expected to give great customer service with no tools to do so. We are pricing ourselves out of our respective markets and continually lose business to competitive properties that complete upgrades and add amenities. The bottom line to stock holders is the only thing that really matters. I have never stopped looking for another company to spread my professional competencies to. If this job market ever regains a postive ground, I'm out.

Understand your assets. If you think that your asset is the bottom line . . . you are wrong. Your assets are your employees, your customers and your product. If those are valued . . . your bottom line will come.

Management by Intimidation

Former Employee - Staff in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Riverside, CA

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cannot think of even one.

Cons

An amateurish and inept management that spends an inordinate amount of time demoralizing the staff. It was easily one of the worst experiences of my professional life working for this company. The compensation is so lousy that you might just qualify for government assistance there as a full time employee. The benefits are a joke. Do not, for a second, consider working for these guys if you have any other viable options.

I think you are well aware of your problems with local management and choose to ignore them. You allow, and even foster, bullying and browbeating of staff. What advice can be offered to an organization that believes hostility breeds productivity?

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great commission structure ~ until it was cut. For some, in half. Enjoy my co-workers.

Cons

Impossible to name them all. I am continually shocked that ELS is a publicly traded company, and a successful one, at that. It's a testament to how hard the employees work. No systems in place for inventory. The entire company runs on Google docs, as it's too cheap to invest in quality systems. When I started, the email platform was Lotus Notes. Hello, 1979. IT is a joke. Regional VPs micromanage to death, new policies and procedures are introduced daily, but are never thought out long-term. This results in someone figuring out they don't work and replacing them with new ones that were also not thought-out. It's a vicious cycle. The health "insurance" is a joke. I pay $200 per month for a $2k deductible ~ for a single person. I cannot wait to land a new job and tell this company to get bent.

This isn't worth my time. Do yourself a favor: If you don't work here yet, don't bother. If you do, find a new job pronto.

Frustrated with the direction the company has gone

Pros

Great working environment and property level staff. Dedicate and helpful (although overworked and unappreciated) corporate support staff.

Cons

Revolving door for corporate employees and Regional Management. Lack of focus and support for properties. Upper management out of touch with their guests needs. Lack of relevant marketing support. No opportunity for advancement.

Read your own mission statement. Promote from within and based on experience relevant to position. Be aware of industry trends and your competitors and learn your industry and customers, ALL of them. Don't continue to slash spending while your competitors spend, add and grow.

Micro managed communities

Current Employee - Community Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Properties have wonderful value and benefits for residents

Cons

Upper management has no idea how degrading and intimidating the RM behaves. The RM actually degrades VP and Corporate to management team while boasting she is the only one in Corporate that knows how to do things. Very sad to see her boast on how she can fire you at any moment.

Review privately with your onsite management team and allow concerns to be voiced without retaliation. If not the RM will continue to assist you in losing valuable managers.

Equity LifeStyle Properties Photos