Equity LifeStyle Properties

Marguerite Nader

Micromanagement

Current Employee - Resort Manager  in  Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Resort Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with people in a beautiful community on a daily basis.

Cons

Micro management and very little support or consistency on a senior manangement level. Requesting time consuming reports in short periods of time that are not even used, creating undue levels of pressure. Growing to fast to support the properties they do have.

Your employees are your best asset. Micro managing and unrealistic demands on financial return on an investment you are not investing in is unrealistic and sets us all for failure. Invest in the property and invest in your employees and you'll have the best company - with the best returns ever!

Where Do I Begin!

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I HAD a great immediate supervsor!

Cons

Low pay, long hours, micromanagement, demoralizing conference calls, repetitive financial reporting, poor beneifts with the exception of PTO. I have been in asset management my entire career and am still shocked after 9 years of employment with ELS that it is preferred to allow deferred maintenance and asset deterioration. We, as managers, are expected to give great customer service with no tools to do so. We are pricing ourselves out of our respective markets and continually lose business to competitive properties that complete upgrades and add amenities. The bottom line to stock holders is the only thing that really matters. I have never stopped looking for another company to spread my professional competencies to. If this job market ever regains a postive ground, I'm out.

Understand your assets. If you think that your asset is the bottom line . . . you are wrong. Your assets are your employees, your customers and your product. If those are valued . . . your bottom line will come.

Management by Intimidation

Former Employee - Staff  in  Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Riverside, CA

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cannot think of even one.

Cons

An amateurish and inept management that spends an inordinate amount of time demoralizing the staff. It was easily one of the worst experiences of my professional life working for this company. The compensation is so lousy that you might just qualify for government assistance there as a full time employee. The benefits are a joke. Do not, for a second, consider working for these guys if you have any other viable options.

I think you are well aware of your problems with local management and choose to ignore them. You allow, and even foster, bullying and browbeating of staff. What advice can be offered to an organization that believes hostility breeds productivity?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrated with the direction the company has gone

Pros

Great working environment and property level staff. Dedicate and helpful (although overworked and unappreciated) corporate support staff.

Cons

Revolving door for corporate employees and Regional Management. Lack of focus and support for properties. Upper management out of touch with their guests needs. Lack of relevant marketing support. No opportunity for advancement.

Read your own mission statement. Promote from within and based on experience relevant to position. Be aware of industry trends and your competitors and learn your industry and customers, ALL of them. Don't continue to slash spending while your competitors spend, add and grow.

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great commission structure ~ until it was cut. For some, in half. Enjoy my co-workers.

Cons

Impossible to name them all. I am continually shocked that ELS is a publicly traded company, and a successful one, at that. It's a testament to how hard the employees work. No systems in place for inventory. The entire company runs on Google docs, as it's too cheap to invest in quality systems. When I started, the email platform was Lotus Notes. Hello, 1979. IT is a joke. Regional VPs micromanage to death, new policies and procedures are introduced daily, but are never thought out long-term. This results in someone figuring out they don't work and replacing them with new ones that were also not thought-out. It's a vicious cycle. The health "insurance" is a joke. I pay $200 per month for a $2k deductible ~ for a single person. I cannot wait to land a new job and tell this company to get bent.

This isn't worth my time. Do yourself a favor: If you don't work here yet, don't bother. If you do, find a new job pronto.

Micro managed communities

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Properties have wonderful value and benefits for residents

Cons

Upper management has no idea how degrading and intimidating the RM behaves. The RM actually degrades VP and Corporate to management team while boasting she is the only one in Corporate that knows how to do things. Very sad to see her boast on how she can fire you at any moment.

Review privately with your onsite management team and allow concerns to be voiced without retaliation. If not the RM will continue to assist you in losing valuable managers.

A Good Place to Start.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Busy atmosphere. Quality Corporate Staff. Tightly managed. Solid.

Cons

Rewards scarce and comp is low.

low pay, junk medical,no respect
     if you are looking for a long term job this is not the company for you !

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

equity is a good place to work if you are desperate for a job, until something better comes around.i do get along well with the on site staff that is the only positive thing i can say about this company.

Cons

low low pay for the amount of work,health insurance is a joke not worth getting,total lack of respect for employs by upper management and they make it very clear.late 80s wages and no descent medical. CRAZY

try giving your employs some decent health insurance.that is a mag er concern to all. some raises based upon Marat not just the 2% after 3 years of employment,that is an insult and at least pretend like you care.how about a ham for Christmas and just letting your employs know you appreciate there hard work. good employs are not so easily replaced.

Unhappy, unappreciated employee!

Pros

Close to home, great commission incentives.

Cons

Health insurance offered is garbage for a multi billion dollar corporation. I see promotions and raises offered to people on email blasts company wide but I havent had even a .01% raise in the 3 years I have been here. I have no opportunity's given for advancement and hard work isnt appreciated unless it also comes with a bit of butt smooching. I feel like taking a loss in pay just to find somewhere else to be appreciated at. I hate that they expect everything from you but never give you anything more than what you originally were offered when Hired. I have finally hit my breaking point. I have never even had an evaluation in 3 long years.

Show appreciation to your staff, give annual raises. Stop taking form us all the time but never giving anything in return.

Current Community Manager

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time

Pros

Great morale and hours. Respectful company with values. I have to disagree with most on here, point the finger in the mirror and let's talk shop. I appreciate the pay increases and feel valued to be a part of the team.

Cons

Outdated accounting and communications between departments and employees. There are no long term concrete plans to move around staffing. Reward those by moving to preferred destinations.

Get a grip on the policy and provide a standard training program for other employees.

Worked for Equity LifeStyle Properties? Contribute to the Community!