Equity Residential

Updated September 10, 2014
3.2

Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut
David J. Neithercut

Pros
  • decent compensation and benefits package (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits and a nice corporate structure with healthy and energetic management (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the local upper management were so far removed from reality (in 16 reviews)

• Consistently lectured on customer service is important and training for (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

More than a dusty set of values...

Current Employee - PM Ops & Concierge  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - PM Ops & Concierge in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than a year

Pros

I chose to work for a company that fit my values, perspectives, responsibilities, and overall development culture of both my own private business ventures, but also the experiences of other employers. The '10 ways' are certainly these. They aren't just some value system that is hung on a wall and forgotten. They are lived and breathed each day, in every way possible.

Cons

Honestly, I've been working for EQR for a while, and can't think of anything, other than there aren't many properties on the INTERIOR/Middle of the US, as they own most large growing markets in metro's near coasts!

My on-boarding, and current leadership has done a terrific job. As a former executive who made a drastic change in my life to follow my passion, not my wallet, I can say they strive to be the best leadership possible.

Great company

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture. Large company with room to grow. Ok benefits.

Cons

New employees have better upward mobility.

It's a large corporation, with all the perks and challenges.

Current Employee - Property Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is fair, especially when you factor in benefits (medical, vacation, 401K match) and other perks. Hourly wage itself may not be as high, but the package as a whole is better than many. Daily satisfaction depends a lot on your direct managers, so it can vary a lot. Overall, you have the opportunity to work with great people and have a stable, reliable career.

Cons

As a large, successful corporation, you don't have to worry about going under, but this also means that all decisions are made with consideration for maximum revenue above all else. Policies and procedures dictate everything, which can be comforting but also frustrating in the lack of autonomy. You also have to be ready to relocate to advance, particularly quickly. The competition and drive to be the leader in the industry means that while work/life balance is talked about, those who don't practice it get ahead. Can be a bit of the "old boys club" when in comes to senior leadership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company has a high turnover for a reason.

I worked at Equity Residential

Pros

Not bad for a temporary career move. Has excellent training that you can use for another company.

Cons

Expectations are unrealistic. You easily get burned out. Upper management views you as being replaceable. Hard for minorities to make it to the top, but very easy to get hired for entry level positions. I could go on forever and tell you how Equity loss sight of employee engagement and how so many people hate it.

A review of management practices is needed. Please seek out honest opinions from employees to determine where the many areas of improvement are. Equity has made so many changes and cuts that do not benefit employees in any way. Your employees are not blind or stupid. I would never in my life live on an EQR property because residents aren't important either. Why does it take so long to get crap fixed that need to be fixed? That is a bad look.

I worked for Equity in two states, Florida and California. If I were rating CA alone, it would be 5 stars

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Pleasant Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Pleasant Hill, CA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Equity really seems to care about what goes on at the property level
    California had a LOT of money to be made
    Lots of support from senior management at most regions

Cons

Can't move up without a degree all of the sudden
    Work EVERY weekend
    Pet employees who did nothing to deserve it
    lots of office politics

Pay attention to what your 'pet' employees are actually contributing.

Think twice before getting into bed with this company

I worked at Equity Residential full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In a management position, you were able to have a somewhat decent work-life balance and being salaried, You weren't handcuffed to specific hours, even though you put in 10 plus hours daily if you had any sense of pride in your job. But you HAD to in order to get your job complete due to understaffing.

Cons

Upper management was not supportive. Very good at delivering "lip service" but did not listen to the issues presented to them. Understaffing properties in order to squeeze every possible penny out for profit and disregarding customer service caused a high employee turnover as well as resident turnover.

This would be a waste of time.........

Equity Residential values YOU!

Current Employee - Education
    Current Employee - Education

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Equity Residential (EQR) is an emotionally intelligent organization that understands the value of work-life balance. They encourage it and they practice it from the top down. From the moment I walked in the door I was provided with the tools that not only assisted me in being a better employee but also in being a better mother, daughter and wife. The mission, vision and strategy of Equity Residential resides in the spirit of every employee... I will never forget the lessons I learned there.

Cons

No cons unless you are a part of a portfolio that is sold. The only con I can truly think of is the amount of travel for certain departments. Leadership outside of the Chicago office can sometimes be counter "EQR" culture but for the most part everyone is on board with the mission, vision and strategy of EQR as a whole.

Great place to grow your career.

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

An overall fun and engaging place to work. Definitely feel like you work for an industry leader. Highest concentration of intelligent and capable people i've worked with.

Cons

The apartment industry can be a bit behind the times technologically. Not the best place for those who aren't ready to change quickly.

Terrible Commission Structure, Great Autonomy

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If lucky, you may get a property with a great manager. Most places do not, but I did
    - You learn to master CRM
    - You can hone your sales abilities with custom tours
    - YOU can build a skill set on your own, just take on the project you desire: event planning, marketing, etc
    - Corporate office is responsive
    - Flexibility with your work schedule
    - Ability to create your day-to-day schedule
    - Commission CAN be good if your property is in the right neighborhood

Cons

- Compared to other property management companies, the commission tier is terrible. You barely start seeing 4 figure commissions once you lease 10+ apartments a month
    - Most communities have terrible management. Managers leave early, speak down to employees
    - Training = online training that focuses more on software skills and less on sales. Minimal training in-person
    - NO opportunities to advance outside of leasing. The only way up is towards Sr. Leasing or Property Manager. Interested in accounting, marketing, or corporate affairs? Tough luck. Move to their HQ in Chicago.
    - Corp office allocates all funds to new communities. Older offices aren't even funded for basic things like business cards.
    - Culture is all dependent on community managers.
    - Corp office always trying to increase prices on residents who then complain to leasing agents.

Provide more in-person training, hire more workers IN the office, and remember to focus on your existing properties and not just the new ones.

Wonderful experience in property management. Always had upper management support as needed.

Former Employee - Property Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You have a wonderful work-life balance. I had plenty of times with the kids and weekends had the occasional phone call but nothing that couldn't be solved till Monday.

Cons

Yearly raises could use a little work but for the ATL market area.

The field workers produce all the money to make the company survive, so let them do their job and succeed. Micro management is not needed. I would join the company back if my husband would not be transferred overseas where I will join him with our 3 children.

Worked for Equity Residential? Contribute to the Community!