Equity Residential

Equity Residential Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut

David J. Neithercut

Pros
  • decent compensation and benefits package (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits and a nice corporate structure with healthy and energetic management (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the local upper management were so far removed from reality (in 16 reviews)

• Consistently lectured on customer service is important and training for (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful experience

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Amherst, MA

ProsGreat training, great benefits, wonderful opportunities.

ConsMy property being sold and not having a place to go.

Polarity - can there be a big focus on the bottom dollar and keep the employees and residents very satisfied?

Regional Manager (Current Employee)

ProsResources! Real, live information at your fingertips. Company owned and managed properties. No fee managed assets here. A lot of long term employees.

ConsMetrics driven, extreme push for just one more penny gained. Streamlining the process can be good as long as employees can feel as though they're heard and they can make a difference - this important piece of the one team approach has been lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with any business, higher income and lower expenses is key. Just remember to take care of your employees and allow them to take care of the residents. You may need employee input to find that right balance.

Exciting

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsLots of job opportunities and education.

ConsIf you are at a big property you will always be busy; require good time management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Receptionist

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unrealistic

Customer Service and Sales Representative (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBenefits are good and apartments are of a decent standard.

ConsManagement are a "click." expected to work in excess of documented hours "off the clock."

It's A Job.

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou can move up the ladder very quickly if you're motivated. Most of the employees I've met or worked with are friendly, likeable people. Plenty of paid days off.

ConsCompensation unfit considering the high cost of living in the SF Bay Area. Extremely shareholder-orientated company with the ultimate goal of lowering the quality of life for residents while increasing their cost of living.

A Smaller Version of Our National Debt and Class Crisis

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee)

Proskeeps higher quality communities, sheds older product

ConsProperty mgrs with a small staff make approx $40/hour including bonus, but work very few hours. Average time in office bumps this to double, a huge money leak for such a profit-driven company. The money could be spent for a decent hourly pay structure, or better upkeep of properties, and probably both. The result to staff is like a sick call for 4 hours every day. No salaried time clocking or time off accountability. Numbers above don't include commissions, which they are allowed to receive with very little resident engagement. Greed is contagious! The student is now the master. One office won't take incoming calls, or unlock doors for walk-in customers. How's that working for Equity? A franchise mentality with no franchise rules. Many mgrs think this is an American work ethic after long years of only one employer, while hourly employees grind in and out the door based on work load and pay. Increase in WA minimum wage next year will be troublesome for the company. Customer service has always been a problem for Equity because it can't be automated completely. Wrong business. 90% of resident issues are from lack of service or staffing, since no one seems to know how many people are supposed to be at work on a daily basis. There is a disconnect with anyone in upper management who used to work on site. The pace of the workplace has changed but their memories are all they relate to.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of bragging about earnings and metrics, invest a little to learn life on the site. It is much like the old country western song Harper Valley PTA. Alliances determine what is done and what is hidden. They might as well be in a different country than the Regional Manager overseeing things. One of the onsite scandals is going to be your "Enron". Find out what you can get for your total wage budget and how to train managers -- take a business class! Costco can make money and look out for its front line employees. Many have done it.

Great Interactive Marketing Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEmployees seem to genuinely like working there. The company is well-established and runs smoothly. All managers I interacted with were extremely smart and approachable. Work hours are flexible as long as you get in your 8 hours each day.

ConsWorking from home a day or two a week on a regular basis wasn't an option while I was there. This may have changed though.

It provided great training but highly aggressive organization when it comes to profits.

Property Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI learned a lot about property management. A good career path and they promote within. Good profit sharing and health benefits.

ConsThey are greedy at the expense of customer service and the residents.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop aggressively raising rents and offer more customer service to residents.

Northern California - San Francisco

Sam Francisco (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the people who work for the company really care about the company

ConsSome of the local upper management were so far removed from reality. One new guy from the east coast to the management side only understands the dollar and nothing about customer service, very cut throat. There are two guys who just run around the office like a loose cannon.

The company really needs to reevaluate pay. New people are coming in with much higher salaries and all you do is louse or good long term associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a closer on on what's going on with your local management teams. I would have loves to stay with the company and had many good years with them, but it just go to out of controls and the the pay at every other company is much better.

Best thing that could have happen to me was moving on. I hope someone brings some change.

Great staff I had fun working

Service Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsResident are very nice to work for and staff also having the right equipment and support.
    Running a 106 units property is keeps me more hands on.

ConsMy budget in carpet replacement also in appliance replacement needed to be larger.
    Having a small maintenance shop was hard to have.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was simple to share advice by email.

Worked for Equity Residential? Contribute to the Community!