Equity Residential

Updated February 26, 2015
3.4

Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut
David J. Neithercut

Pros
  • Equity Residential (EQR) is an emotionally intelligent organization that understands the value of work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great training, great benefits, wonderful opportunities (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be very unresponsive especially if you are working onsite (in 21 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be very challenging in some departments or some locations (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoy coming to work everyday. How many can say that? I love this company!

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

I feel valued and listened to.

Cons

The size of our company makes it challengin to know everyone, but I am working on it.

Keep insisting on feedback, it is great to ask all what they think.

Great Career Opportunities

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Large, stable company, Ability to promote within, Located in many different cities, Great training and support teams, Amazing product

Cons

Pay isn't based on merit and personal value to the company, High turnover, Long hours for salaried employees

Listen to the opinions of the little people out in the field doing the work, Stop trying to pay the least amount possible to fill positions

Exciting company to work for with the best people in the business

Current Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a region, we all work together as one team. I always know that I can count on my coworkers to help me when I'm in need, and they can count on me.
    There are always new and exciting opportunities. I was able to rise within the company quickly and I know there will be more opportunities in the future.
    The training is ongoing, which means that we are constantly perfecting our craft. I appreciate the ongoing dialogue with the corporate team here in Boston as well as Chicago. Everyone is striving to excel and we have the support to help us become the best.
    The biggest pro is the people. Our VP was able to name every single Property Manager and Leasing Consultant in the New England region during our last sales meeting! That speaks to how invested he and the rest of the corporate team are invested in their employees.
    Lastly, Equity's values are powerful; they are what make this company so great.

Cons

The pay is not as competitive as comparable property management companies. We have very good benefits, though.
    The initial training is currently being refined, but it was overwhelming when I started.

Keep up the good work! Upper management takes employee feedback seriously, so there are some good changes in the near future.

Great pay, great benefits, FANTASTIC support

Former Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing operations system, MRI that is customized and incredibly efficient. Great support for onsite teams.

Cons

No wiggle room to "do what's right" for our customers. Can't waive late fees for certain circumstances, etc.

Keep it up!

Good place to work

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant/Customer Support Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant/Customer Support Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great training, best in business; keeps you informed

Cons

schedule. holiday and PTO could improve.

care more about how the numbers are achieved than the number achieved.

Equity offers a career, not just a job!

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

Opportunity for career growth and development

Cons

none that differ from any other large corporation

Top of The Market and Always Pushing to Be Best

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

Forward looking company that looks for opportunities to improve for the better.

Cons

None that really come to mind.

Great people and support... Upper management and pay.. That's a different story.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Equity Residential is great when it comes to learning, and sales training.... For the most part.
    Equity Residential also has great quarter sales meetings, which makes it fun, and it is a company that you have the potential to grow with if you so choose to do so. I honestly love going to work each day. Not many people can say that!
    The company also allows you to have a great work/life balance. I've made a lot of friends in this business, which is cool too.
    It's a great job if you're looking to stay mediocre. Or, if you're lucky enough to make it to the regional level.

Cons

Equity Residential is a company that will pay a new hire with no experience more than someone with strong work ethic and a background in sales. Does that make sense? No.
    Pay raises? Forget about it.
    Also, the commission structure should be re-adjusted. We're talking high rents, and a booming market. If you're not at a newer property with new lease-ups, you can forget about seeing a decent commission check.
    Corporate pays no attention to the small run-down properties who really need the most help, and praise high-rise newer properties. That's where the money is at, I guess you can't really blame them.
    All the money goes to the higher ups, the leasing consultants don't see any of it, and you certainly don't see the extra money go towards the properties for improvement purposes.
    It's about the shareholders. Equity imposes fees upon fees to residents... For nothing. Any way they can possibly increase their revenue, they will do it. Implementing higher application fees, administration fees, etc.
    Also, would you pay $2000 for a moldy apartment each month? I know I wouldnt.

Incentives and pay. We will work smarter and harder if you pay attention to the little people and show us you care about our personal development and provide us with more income opportunity.

Biggest REIT in the US. Great if you are entry-level in real estate

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Equity is the largest REIT in the country which is great for your resume or starting a career in Real Estate. Depending on the property you work at, you can and will learn a lot from the building, your co-workers/managers and the tenants themselves. I would recommend a Leasing Consultant job to anyone who has graduated High school and wants real estate, sales or customer service experience.

Great Employee stock share purchase plan, 15% discount.
    Health Plan, not bad
    Rent Discount if you live in a company property - 20% (should be higher..)

Cons

Being the largest, it also comes with a handful of cons. Employee moral and climate vary from property to property. The worst is the schedule. Work life balance is non-existent and even though you get 7-10 holidays/PTO it often times is denied by managers when requested. Weekends are required at every property. Friday, Saturday, many Sundays too.

Mid-level management positions have been eliminated making it nearly impossible to advance unless you possess accounting skills.

Overtime is necessary during busy seasons but highly frowned upon by managers who are charged with balancing a property budget (ie. Overtime pay kills their budget). If you are unlucky and get a bad community or property manager you will be miserable.

All training is baptism by fire or on the computer, so, not effective.

Finally, it is a public company so the top 3 priorities of senior management is 1) Stockholders, 2) Stockholders, 3) Earnings report for Stockholders

Train your managers professionally, not in house, hire a respected firm to train them right. Then it can trickle down to the lower level and you can promote from within.

Work for the best!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Lots of opportunity for career growth. Challenging and exciting place to work. People are great and collaboration is key. Well-respected leader in the multi-family industry.

Cons

If you don't like change, Equity is not the place for you.

Keep up the great work.