Equity Residential

www.equityapartments.com
Employer Engaged

Good place to learn the leasing business

Current Employee - Leasing
    Current Employee - Leasing

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

Great health care insurance and pay

Cons

very high turn over rate

Needs New Management in Florida

Current Employee - Onsite Property
    Current Employee - Onsite Property

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

Great Benefits, Comfortable Place to Work.

Cons

Lack of management, Starting with Property Managers who are the only salaried employees on a property. They abuse this by never being onsite and having all the employees below them do their work. This leads me to their Regional Managers. Only a handful in each territory, however they seem to allow the managers to come and go as they please. Good luck finding a manager after 5pm. Vendors continue to take advantage of the company along with wasteful spending across the board. They grade employees on what they call metrics, including things such as surveys and emails that cause the prospect to come in. This is a joke because all the employees know how to manipulate the system and spend more time doing this then actually working. Also residents surveys should never be seen by the property but possibly a higher up management. What happens is the property manager holds a grudge against a resident and good look getting fair treatment. Lastly their seems to be a very strong friendship bubble as everyone calls it with upper management. This makes fair promotion almost impossible.

Starting dictating the times Managers have to be in the office. A one hour lunch should suffice just like everyone else. Stop grading on metrics and surveys. Grade on the financials of a community, the only numbers that can't get rigged. Especially stop allowing communities to see their surveys, I feel bad for residents that slam us in a survey and then I watch my coworkers around me hate them the entire time. Lastly get rid of this higher management circle that only hires friends everyone sees it but won't speak up in fear.

Behind The Times

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

There are some beautiful properties, well-manicured and purchased with thought. Older, less desirable real estate is sold eventually. The computer system is brilliant if used as designed, in showing every possible aspect of resident care, very detailed.

Cons

The pay system is seriously outdated. Large companies went to flex pto many years ago. The current system actually drains this company financially. An employee should have a block of time from which to take care of vacation, doctor appointments, sick days, days with children, all of it. These are super generous packages. The real takers are the community managers, who basically work from home. If they stop by the office to sign something, that is a work day. They then have full vacation benefits (not eligible, technically, at under 20 hours a week), and also a sick day bucket to draw from, Sales of various properties resulted in re-purposing managers who must drive hours to just get to work. Guess who's not coming in? Then there's being home by the time the school bus lands, and this is a face to face business. Our clients actually have real jobs, and need assistance after work. Whoever draws the short straw (hourly) is left to do all jobs on a daily basis, particularly the last few hours. Great training camp for all things management, but without recognition or compensation. Service team managers are management but never cut hours short, other hourlies work f.t., and at the minimum making a property manager job an hourly position would make millions for Equity on the first day. The "property shopping" excuse has been gone for years with online purchasing. The doctor appointment thing is faced by every single other employee, and they all manage to handle it and work full time. Another option? The accounting was taken off site a few years ago, and works beautifully that way. We dont really have managers in this portfolio, just consultants. Make it official! Or pass this role to the regional manager, also missing in action most days. Lots of money is wasted in this area. It takes 2 weeks to get simple answers requiring approval. They're all 1 day decisions at most. We get it: there are hairdressers, pilates, friends and spouse's appointments to attend, the list goes on. Salaries allow for boats, vacations, income property, and more distractions, even additional jobs. Once that manager does walk through the office, the stress level is high given the work load to be accomplished in a few hours. Change is painful,. Admit that this is no longer a full time job and has been going on for years. Other issues are lack of training (see manager never in office) on a personal level. Portfolio trainings are multi-hour drives to beg employees to follow the marketing training. Again, it could be handled in the clubhouse onsite. We have to travel to the cheapest venue in the state and lock the door on new customers for 3/4 of a day, counting travel time. Real marketing challenges vary neighborhood to neighborhood. Make the trainings with colleagues facing the same challenges, and hold employees accountable. We'd get back 1/2 of sales day every time. Stop locking leasing offices! It isn't a playground but the new trend is open 2-3 hours a day. 4 hours of "walking apartments" is not part of this skillset. Finally, it takes 3 leases for a consultant to make the first $20 in commissions. Of course less after taxes. Look at the policy of Equity keeping commissions. Is it like a hairdresser who rents the space? The mother lode of salary expense is distributed to our CM's. Why not reward the people who trudge through all this alone? We had a season where everyone could hit the numbers, though some did not. Numbers and surveys are not always the indicators of where this company is headed. Surveys are easy to manipulate.

Stronger upper management requires an investment of time. The unspoken here is that no one is going to spend that time to develop managers. Most don't even know labor law or what can be said to an employee legally. Many do not follow any moral compass. Someone may have to get engaged.

I have been a resident concierge at Equity for over 2 years. Good company

Current Employee - Resident Concierge in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Resident Concierge in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Equity Residential part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are great. The salary is decent. I love the residents.You get a chance to do more than just stand behind a desk.

Cons

I wish the business wasn't so rigid. They have taken amenities away from the building I work in so the residents are upset and take their anger out on me. There isn't much room for me to try to make things better for them.

Draining

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great training programs, you are really surrounded by very capable people.Equity really knows how to choose the best of the best.

Cons

Although Equity really knows how to choose talented people, the job itself will drain you.
    Upper management can be very unresponsive especially if you are working onsite. It is frustrating because you are first in line for the residents to respond to. The company focuses on maximizing revenue and it doesnt matter how they do it.

Let some decisions be made on a property level, not all but some to help with the process.
    No work life balance, understaffed which causes us to be literally be working while on your off days.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Equity offers great benefits and pretty good pay for what we do. There is always room for growth and they hold a lot of functions.

Cons

The company has changed a lot through the years. New management has made it a very hard place to work but for new employees who wouldn't know how it used to be they would probably still love it.

Please allow the property management to make more decisions.

Great people, but runs a little too lean!

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love my coworkers! Incredible level of culture, driven employees, awesome training and opportunities to be promoted from within. If you show motivation and put forth effort they will recognize you for it! My direct supervisor (community manager) is one of the most responsive and amazing people I have ever met.

Cons

Expect to do multiple people's work. This company seems to like to run really, really lean. Commission structure is okay, but when you deal with over 300 apartments and are the only team member in the office it can be incredibly draining. Upper management can be pretty unresponsive or downright condescending.

A League of Their Own

Former Employee - Floating Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Floating Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You truly are part of their family working for EQR. They focus on their residents, customers, and employees as well as their share holders. They promote within, and base it on position longevity. They have an amazing sales training class with the best coaches teaching them.

Cons

They set the bar so high that you'll always compare them to the next, but nobody ever comes close

Great Co Workers

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love it easy to learn...they are big on training and networking

Cons

Have to work weekend as they tend to be busy.

None keep doing what your doing great people in the right places

Overall good experience, good leadership and lots of room for growth.

Former Employee - Service Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

company cared about employees and treated them well

Cons

Downsized their ownership in Nashville and ommited job oportunities

Good training programs