Equity Residential Reviews

Updated May 1, 2015
174 reviews filtered by

1. Great people and support... Upper management and pay.. That's a different story.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Equity Residential is great when it comes to learning, and sales training.... For the most part.
    Equity Residential also has great quarter sales meetings, which makes it fun, and it is a company that you have the potential to grow with if you so choose to do so. I honestly love going to work each day. Not many people can say that!
    The company also allows you to have a great work/life balance. I've made a lot of friends in this business, which is cool too.
    It's a great job if you're looking to stay mediocre. Or, if you're lucky enough to make it to the regional level.

Cons

Equity Residential is a company that will pay a new hire with no experience more than someone with strong work ethic and a background in sales. Does that make sense? No.
    Pay raises? Forget about it.
    Also, the commission structure should be re-adjusted. We're talking high rents, and a booming market. If you're not at a newer property with new lease-ups, you can forget about seeing a decent commission check.
    Corporate pays no attention to the small run-down properties who really need the most help, and praise high-rise newer properties. That's where the money is at, I guess you can't really blame them.
    All the money goes to the higher ups, the leasing consultants don't see any of it, and you certainly don't see the extra money go towards the properties for improvement purposes.
    It's about the shareholders. Equity imposes fees upon fees to residents... For nothing. Any way they can possibly increase their revenue, they will do it. Implementing higher application fees, administration fees, etc.
    Also, would you pay $2000 for a moldy apartment each month? I know I wouldnt.

Advice to Management

Incentives and pay. We will work smarter and harder if you pay attention to the little people and show us you care about our personal development and provide us with more income opportunity.

2. Biggest REIT in the US. Great if you are entry-level in real estate

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Equity is the largest REIT in the country which is great for your resume or starting a career in Real Estate. Depending on the property you work at, you can and will learn a lot from the building, your co-workers/managers and the tenants themselves. I would recommend a Leasing Consultant job to anyone who has graduated High school and wants real estate, sales or customer service experience.

Great Employee stock share purchase plan, 15% discount.
    Health Plan, not bad
    Rent Discount if you live in a company property - 20% (should be higher..)

Cons

Being the largest, it also comes with a handful of cons. Employee moral and climate vary from property to property. The worst is the schedule. Work life balance is non-existent and even though you get 7-10 holidays/PTO it often times is denied by managers when requested. Weekends are required at every property. Friday, Saturday, many Sundays too.

Mid-level management positions have been eliminated making it nearly impossible to advance unless you possess accounting skills.

Overtime is necessary during busy seasons but highly frowned upon by managers who are charged with balancing a property budget (ie. Overtime pay kills their budget). If you are unlucky and get a bad community or property manager you will be miserable.

All training is baptism by fire or on the computer, so, not effective.

Finally, it is a public company so the top 3 priorities of senior management is 1) Stockholders, 2) Stockholders, 3) Earnings report for Stockholders

Advice to Management

Train your managers professionally, not in house, hire a respected firm to train them right. Then it can trickle down to the lower level and you can promote from within.

Good company to work for, still improving

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

Great work life balance. Employee engagement in company events is pretty high. Coworkers seem to get along with one another. With a few specific jobs, career development is highly encouraged. There are many training tools year round to ensure you can do your job which is fair because change is pretty common.

Cons

Pay structure at property level - raises are not really merit based but pay is fair. You can go above and beyond all year and it may not really show much in your annual review/pay increase discussion. As for career opportunities, outside of wanting to become a property manager or service manager, you would have to relocate to a regional location for job opportunities

Advice to Management

Better communication between properties and corporate offices (GA/AZ), streamline more processes with deadlines

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Community Manager in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

Great leadership, Great training, awesome support from upper management!

Cons

A little hard on maintenance expectations and surveys which determine annual increases for entire staff.

Advice to Management

Management is very helpful. The only advice I would give is to remove the customer surveys from being viewed by the staff or make them simpler. Happy people do not always assume they are Very Satisfied rather than just Satisfied. I think that a simple Satisfied, neutral and dissatisfied would do well. Other than that, it's a great company to work for and I am looking forward to many more years with Equity.

Work for the best!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Lots of opportunity for career growth. Challenging and exciting place to work. People are great and collaboration is key. Well-respected leader in the multi-family industry.

Cons

If you don't like change, Equity is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Best place I have ever worked. I wouldn't leave for anything!

Current Employee - Community Coordinator in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Community Coordinator in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, AMAZING coworkers, work that challenges me mentally, I'm treated like an adult here and trusted to finish my work accurately (not micromanaged), great upper management that listens!, and best part - lots of FOOD!

Cons

The software we use has some major issues, however, management is very actively telling that vendor to straighten it out fast or we're switching programs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I work in such a positive atmosphere. Every single coworker I work with genuinely likes and cares about everyone else in the office. No cliques, and everyone asks each other if there is anything else they can do. Thank you for providing me with the best work experience I've ever had! I'm never leaving Equity!!

Overall Good Company

Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential

Pros

They offer training. Very compassionate when necessary. Upper management does give you a voice.

Cons

I don't believe their pay is as competitive as the market but I do know they are working on it.

Steer clear . . . There are many better property management companies out there.

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unfortunately, I have nothing to add to this category. Work here if you can't find a job anywhere else.

Cons

Equity Residential's cons originate from the top down. The first thing you need to know is this, one group of people matters. No, it's not the residents/paying customers, it's not the employees, it is the shareholders and the shareholders alone. Working for this company was torture because they tell you one thing, then do another. They teach you in their training classes to "do the right thing". What is important to know is they left out the second part of their sentence, which is "do the right thing for the shareholders." Let me elaborate - At EQR, do not expect one team lunch, a birthday cake, or a reward lunch for a job well done for your team. They won't spend the money. You are not worth it. Do not expect a competitive salary. They spend a lot of time researching the least they can possibly pay you within your market. Good luck getting any more than that for any reason. They also fee residents to death any way they possibly can without shame, while at the same time they try to cut back on the amenities they offer the residents. This makes your job there miserable when you want to do the right thing to help residents in any way possible, but they simply won't allow it. Their benefits are also not as good as other companies. Overall, I would steer clear of both working for this company, or living at one of their communities.

Advice to Management

If you switch your main focus from your shareholders to your residents and employees, everyone, including the shareholders will benefit. Do the right thing should mean do the right thing for your employees, residents, and shareholders. As of today, while I write this review, your glassdoor rating is 3.3. That should tell you something.

Intern's Perspective

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at Equity Residential

Pros

Public company -- well-known REIT. Looks impressive to future employers

Cons

No clear path for advancement. Corporate side is definitely more favorable than being on-site at a property. Compensation for employees on property isn't competitive compared to other property management companies.

Advice to Management

Take more pride in employees and listen to their concerns

All

I worked at Equity Residential

Pros

You can keep the job as a job not a career.

Cons

They extremely make you work hotter and hotter than any other building in New York City.
    No promotions for minority people

Advice to Management

They advise to the shareholder door is,no matter how many courses they make you take online especially ethic look at how many minority they have as higher rank possitions.
    They abuse their employees in new yourk city and somehow those employees are intimidated to speak out.

Equity Residential Photos