Equity Trust Company Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Jeffrey Desich

Pros
  • The company has experienced a lot of growth lately and recently moved into a new building (in 12 reviews)

• Equity's overall environment offers its workers a work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no diversity at the company (in 3 reviews)

• They have absolutely no appreciation for anything that we do (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent Culture- Have FUN at work!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Equity Trust Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper Manageemtn/Executives are actively involved in the day to day operations. They are incredibly approachable and make sure they are seen by their departments on a daily basis.

The company culture is AMAZING! Never have I had an employer who was so open and flexible to employees opinions and suggestions.

There is always something fun going on at work.

The new facility is incredible. The cafeteria is so convenient and the free gym is a great perk!!!

Cons

Fast paced environement- Can be a pro/con depending on your work style and ability to keep up with the changes

2. Sr. Front End Web Designer

Current Employee - Senior UI/Web Designer in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Senior UI/Web Designer in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Equity Trust Company (More than a year)

Pros

close to home great people

Cons

lots of stops and starts

Run Far and Fast in the Opposite Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, fancy headquarters and overpriced artwork around the building.

Cons

ZERO communication. Constant changing processes and policies. A disorganized cluster of constantly changing employees who barely know how to do the function of their jobs. This company will take a steaming dump on you any chance they get. Be prepared to constantly fight for what's right?

Advice to Management

Please hire managers with brains and people who care. This place is crumbling down around us.

Employee left spinning in the wind

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Operations employees below management level are fantadtic and supportive of each other. Team mates are always there to lend a helping hand and most do actually care about the client.

Cons

Management is lacking. Most often hired from outside and never bother to learn the actual job or business we do. Atmosphere is at times every man for himself in a place where the ax can drop at any moment. Employees are burned out, over worked and underpaid and are not provided the tools needed to provide clients with the best possible experience. Promises made to both employees and clients ara rarely realized and the turnover at the managment level is atrocious. Clients are frustrated and rightfully so, processing is slow and mediocre at best despite those of us in operations doing everything we can with the road blocks management consistently puts in the way.

Advice to Management

The place is being held together by bubblegum and scotchtape. Get managment in the door that is willing to get in the trenches with their employees. Only then will they really understand what the customers actual needs are. Treat employees with the respect they deserve. The "everyone is replaceable" mentality has already cost way to many A players.Be honest with both employees and new clients about what they are getting into. To many false pretenses and inaccuracies being thrown around leave everyone chasing unicorns and rainbows.

Great growing business with severe growing pains

Current Employee - IT Staff in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and there is a lot of teamwork at the individual contributor level. Immediate management is pretty responsive to staff, within their powers.

Cons

The company has outgrown some of the capabilities of the organization as-is. Some of the reasoning behind IT decisions is questionable.

Advice to Management

Keep up the growth of the business, but be weary of big changes that may bite back.

Keep looking

I worked at Equity Trust Company

Pros

The employees were very friendly when first hired. Everyone was very welcoming. Like to do fun activities for no reason.

Cons

CEO - disconnected with employees and how to run a business. His ideas were the only ideas that mattered. Would not take advice from top talent or management.
    Senior Leadership - disconnected from employees too worried about implementing the flavor of the month the CEO wanted.
    Employees - Top talent was leaving left and right. Employees that have been there for 3+ years are brained washed to believe the company is going to take care of them. The smart ones have already left.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees they know best. Your employees should not be disposable.

Wasted Potential

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Westlake, OH

I worked at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will gain some IRA experience. You will also figure out how to problem solve on your own because the leadership in your team will not be helpful. The employees themselves are kind and fun despite the overall atmosphere of the place.

Cons

The turnover rate and the recent departure of department heads says everything. Bringing in two outside upper management members to turn the company around sealed many opinions of the employees. There isn't a real opportunity for growth and you will be stuck in one processing job with more and more responsibilities piled on. Team leads are constantly giving incorrect answers to questions when asked. For the amount of work that was asked, the employees were severely underpaid.

Advice to Management

Understand that you cannot drive your employees into the ground with work and expect the results you want. You have unrealistic expectations with no granted overtime and low salaries.

Client service

I worked at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot about iras and investing..

Cons

Unfortunately like many of the other reviewers, I agree and this company needs serious help. 9 out of 10 calls will be an angry client that has numerous errors on his account. Which is fine, but maybe management should be asking why so many clients have so many issues? But instead you get excuses and push back if any suggestion is made. As a "passive custodian" there shouldn't be this many errors and issues with accounts, this company has been around 30 years! Figure it out! I could go on for days with the amount of errors I've seen that are giant mistakes on etc's part. Clients are fleeing like crazy, along with the employees. I would never ever put money with this company! How many employees have 401ks through them? None that I knew, bc they saw the inner workings! That should tell you something.. IAlso no one needs to have any sort of financial license, and it reflects in the quality of work. I will be very surprised if this company survives.

Advice to Management

Hire some people with financial licenses who know what the hell they are doing. Good luck, you have your work cut out for you. None of this matters though bc you won't do anything about it..

Equity Trust Company Response

Apr 14, 2015Senior Corporate Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to raise your concerns. At Equity Trust, client satisfaction is one of the key measures of our business, with all clients being given the opportunity to let us know ... More

SO Much Potential at Equity Trust is Wasted...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I worked at Equity Trust Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- My Department was a great place to be. My team got along well and it was a great place to collaborate and have fun while working very hard (more on that in a minute).

- Enjoyed the work. I really did enjoy what I was doing and thought it was helping move the organization in the right direction with clients and potential customers.

- Learned a lot from colleagues and coworkers & felt it was growing into something special.

- Nice perks like a beautiful workspace, gym, cafeteria/food service.

Cons

- Higher ups wanted to do everything. There are only so many hours in the day and instead of focusing on doing one or two things really well, we had to do it all.

- Some Departments were complete messes, leading to unnecessary turmoil in the entire company.

- Lack of vision from leadership who are mostly absent. But their offices sure are nice!

- A very top/down organization. Sure, they preach 'we're a team' but your voice doesn't go anywhere.

- At least 3 Rounds of Layoffs in 2014 show you they cut bait whenever they have to, so don't expect to stick around if the company is hurting.

NOTE the above... This also happened a few years back and I have no doubt will happen again - if the company survives.

The Titanic was nice too...

Advice to Management

This doesn't matter. Management does what it wants.

Equity Trust Management feigns an audience with it's clients & employees and then does whatever those privy to a high enough ranking feels is the right course of action.

Self-Directed all the way...

Okay company

Former Employee - Intern in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Westlake, OH

I worked at Equity Trust Company

Pros

The company has a lot of growth potential and they just moved into a brand new very nice building not too long ago. Has the makings of a good company

Cons

The truth is not too many people that I talked to at the company seemed very happy with their jobs and the pay for full time employees was not very competitive at all

Advice to Management

pay your employees!

RSS Feed </> Embed