Erickson Living

Updated January 8, 2015
3.1

CEO
1 Rating

Pros
  • well, the residents are very nice, and the employee benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• very flexible work hours and days (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Working with a very young student population can be interesting, fun at times and challenging at times (in 2 reviews)

• If this is true, then why are employees of Ann's Choice encouraged to come to work sick (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time

Pros

Great place to work very family oriented atmosphere. These people work hard yet know how to have a good time doing it.

Cons

Compensations is low compared to market.

Promote within and give equitable promotions.

Going downhill fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of dedicated people doing the best they can, trying to have a positive impact on the resident's lives. The mission makes you feel like you are doing right in the world.

Cons

Management is erratic, at best. The company preaches values, but does not take them seriously. Politics and cronyism is much more important than skill and effort. Long time senior managers who are well respected are fired or demoted and replaced with younger, cheaper people who will toe the company line. Micromanagement from corporate is numbing. The CEO is both an ego maniac and incredibly insecure.

Its a waste of breath to give Management any advice, as they will not listen to anything that implies they are perfect just the way they are.

Felt like the end times, and then it was.

Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are generally pleasant. Benefits are unremarkable, but not as bad as many other places. The communities are very pleasant places for customers to live.

Cons

As a corporate culture, it's all the founder all the time, with giant portraits of the CEO above the mantle in the various communities. His kids are throughout the organization. It's also overtly Christian, again because of the founder, so that required some getting used to. Between the cult-y hallowing of the family name and the frequent gratitude for blessings and such, it could be oppressive at times.

As I understand, the company today may no longer be under the founders' control, so that's got to break up the cult of personality around them. So keep that up.

A Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time

Pros

This is an ethical company that has a core business of SNF and Long Term Care for it's healthcare services. They are rolling-out a Person Centered Approach model throughout all healthcare business lines. They are expanding their home health and hospice business lines through a new parent company.

Cons

Restructuring at corporate level in an attempt to integrate all health services.

Please let the corporate positions resume back to their original job descriptions. The restructuring has caused confusion and diluted business line service delivery.

Appearances mean more than people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Staff committed to doing good work. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance. Even if your job can be done occasionally at home, they won't allow it. Management is more concerned with appearing to be a great company, than actually being a great company. In corporate, there is considerable turnover of senior leaders, and it appears the ones that go are the ones that won't tow the party line. This organization regularly discounts any feedback from staff that is negative, which means nothing gets better.

No one expects you to be perfect and you're not. There is always room for growth. Your employees actually do have good ideas and insights into what makes a successful work environment. Listen to them.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Information Technology in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has a very good culture with good people
    Very good leadership and management

Cons

They have limited growth opportunities but its not a con as they are mid size company

Great place to get experience

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I did a lot of things while I was there and got a lot of great experience. Fun people to work with too.

Cons

Upper management with overblown egos and low pay.

I worked for the company before it went bankrupt and was sold at auction, so I can't attest to the conditions now. I would guess that Mr Davis is a much more solid businessman than John Erickson ever was, so I would guess things are better at least in regards the stability of the company.

John Erickson's initial success went to his head, and he overextended the company and made other unsound decisions such as placing his children with no business experience in top management positions and paying his extravagant living expenses out of the corporate pot. Fortunately, I saw what was coming years before a lot of others did, and I got out. So many people lost careers and a lot of money when the company went under.

Speaking of John Erickson, I passed him on the stair one time, said "hello", and he rolled his eyes.

In another example of egotism, one of the executives hired his golf instructor into an entry level professional position. Everyone, and I mean everyone including all the lower and mid-level managers were coming up to him and introducing themselves.

Great Employer

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Takes care of their employees. Good benefits.

Cons

Low salary compared to other companies.

Pay is awful for lower level employees

Former Employee - Food Service/Administrative Assistant in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Food Service/Administrative Assistant in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, nice scenery, nice residents

Cons

pay, advancement, to many chiefs, top heavy

You dont need all of the managers you have. Pay your employees more. Also requiring employees to have degrees for just about every job is ridiculous. One time I worked as a admin assistant and receptionist for months and once they realized the admin asst job needs to be a full time position they posted it. Instead of giving it to me (someone who had worked their for 5 years) they gave it to a college intern. They told me I needed a degree to be an administative assistant and that is why they gave it to her instead of me. Are you kidding? I was already doing the job and another one along with it. I left there in 1998 and never looked back. I heard bad things about the new management but the old management definitely played favorites and was just horrible place to work! One time I received the best review you could get with all "exceeds job expectations" only to get a .25 an hour raise. Really?? Their pay their was just awful.

Rewarding with residents

Current Employee - Cook in Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Cook in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is great coming in to see residents everyday. Talking to them can be such a rewarding experience.

Cons

Sometimes co-workers can be condescending. Sometimes ideas can be brushed under the rug. We are told to say hello to higher ups when we see them in the hallways, but we don't always receive the same treatment. I wish they would give better raises as well.

Listen to the smaller employee

Erickson Living Photos