Erickson Living

1 Rating

Good Experience For First Job

Current Employee - Wait Staff  in  Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Wait Staff in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous company that offered great scholarship opportunities and bonuses. Better than minimal wage as wait staff starts with a salary about a dollar above minimum wage (because there aren't any tips)... I've really learned a lot from my time at Erickson and feel like it has prepared me well for future jobs.

Cons

Raises are only in increments of about 35 cents no matter how well the employee does. The hours are kind of a pain because the restaurant is only open from 4-6 (the cafe is open all day though) so if you want lots of hours this probably shouldn't be your first choice.

Participate more with lower staff and try to make the company better. Only one of the four managers I have had actively participated in the company and gave the impression that he truly cared, the other three were just there and did not have much of an impact in my opinion.

COMMUNICATIONS

I have been working at Erickson Living

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

nothing really,they are prettty good

please take the advice of lower level workers because they really know whats going on

My supervisor verbally abused me and threatened me. Erickson's response? Make my life miserable until I quit.

Former Employee - Communications Specialist (Front Desk)  in  Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist (Front Desk) in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Residents. Co workers. Food. Dinner. Days off. Double time and a half.
    Resident's family.
    Lunch.
    Campus.
    Residents.

Cons

Mean spirited. I have nothing nice to say, I should have sued them. I DID report them.
    Gossipy.
    Poor management.
    Horrible HR
    Discriminating

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ann's Choice is a joke!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Warminster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

I guess the benefits are okay.

Cons

Just about anything you can imagine. I never imagined that working somewhere would literally cause me to daydream about getting into a car wreck. Management is a joke; Ann's Choice is a place where favoritism rules, and human resources is useless. If your supervisor abuses you in any way, you can almost guarantee that human resources will go out of their way to defend the supervisor. If you have an issue with a co-worker, you better make sure that co-worker isn't on the favorites list, because you'll be the one on the one suddenly in trouble if you report them.

It is almost too difficult to fathom that one place could have so many drastic and ridiculous issues. Erickson Living goes out of it's way to champion it's "core values", yet you are routinely discouraged from actually adhering to them. They tout teamwork, but if you're seen in the same area of the building as another co-worker in your department, you get a stern talking to (this happens in house keeping at Rose Gardens). I've never heard of a place that considered team work to be a concept of shutting your mouth, and working separately. I've heard a manager explain that teamwork is working apart to achieve the same goal.

WORK APART TO ACHIEVE A GOAL.

I understand that this could be a viable tactic in covering all of your basis. Sometimes it's wise to divide and conquer. However, when there is concrete reasoning to actually work together to accomplish tasks in an efficient and speedy manner, it's discouraged. Ann's Choice is a petty place that is hung up on the concept of perception. Management will refuse the use of tactics on the basis of what other departments might perceive. Maybe I'm too practical, but I always considered it more important to get the job done, than to worry what someone in another department thought of my methods. If the job is done in a safe, correct and legal manner, and productivity isn't negatively affected, what does it matter? Let the results speak.

Ann's Choice is a retirement community. Needless to say the elderly live at Ann's Choice. Maybe my knowledge is poor, and my reasoning foolish, but I've always thought the elderly had immune systems that were at risk. If this is true, then why are employees of Ann's Choice encouraged to come to work sick? Not only does this put the residents at risk, but it also puts other co-workers at risk. There is a notice that has gone up that encourages the exact opposite: if you are sick, then you should stay home, even up to two or three days after. However, if you stay home at Ann's Choice, you put your continued employment at risk. You incur what is called an occurrence. Occurrences build up until the employee is in a position to be terminated.

If you find yourself with EIGHT occurrences, then you can be terminated. Each occurrence is only eliminated from your record every rolling year. Occurrences may be given out for reasons outside of calling out of work sick. Every single infraction you can think of is an occurrence, and management has no issue with holding this threat over your head. Even if you have to leave work early, for reasons beyond your control, it's an occurrence.

Ann's Choice is an environment where good employees feel as though they are walking on egg shells.

The above sentence comes from a number of places. At Ann's Choice, good employees are treated poorly in comparison to poor employees. Those that excel at their job, who work hard day in and day out, are taken advantage of at every turn. They are expected to pick up the slack of employees who outright refuse to complete tasks, and are the ones disciplined if they fail to shoulder the extra responsibility. The employees that are refusing to work aren't disciplined in any way. Many of them are even rewarded in some respects with lighter duty, better hours, and extended breaks. Some employees are permitted to have many hours of downtime, or to take breaks that last one to two hours long. Other employees are reprimanded for taking a few extra minutes. There is no sense of equality or justice.

Routinely employees are lied to by manipulative management. Time and time again personal and second-hand experience comes into play here. Several times I've become privy to some form of deception that management has attempted to put over on me. I am not a stupid individual, and it's very insulting that they believe me to be. When one attempts to deceive another, one is putting themselves in a position of intellectual superiority. One does not have confidence in pulling the wool over the eyes of someone more clever than themselves. Only foolish people attempt to do this, and foolish management is not good management.

Ann's Choice is a rather miserable place to work. It's a place where a member of management has been rightfully accused of sexual harassment on multiple instances, and yet that supervisor is still working. Where a supervisor can practice threatening behavior and meet no consequences for their unprofessional behavior. It's no surprise I've noticed a number of employees leaving Ann's Choice to instead go to Christ's Home.

Ann's Choice is a joke.

Get rid of ineffective lower management. The only reason Ann's Choice is still a half-decent place for the residents is due to the hard work of the regular employees, who often have to work around their incompetent superiors.

Establish a more effective counter-measures to fight corruption in lower management. It is nearly criminal that lower management gets away with so much. Another issue is that favoritism is rampant and kills the motivation of good employees to continue to work hard.

Give back to the residents.

Felt like the end times, and then it was.

Former Employee - Corporate Communications  in  Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues are generally pleasant. Benefits are unremarkable, but not as bad as many other places. The communities are very pleasant places for customers to live.

Cons

As a corporate culture, it's all the founder all the time, with giant portraits of the CEO above the mantle in the various communities. His kids are throughout the organization. It's also overtly Christian, again because of the founder, so that required some getting used to. Between the cult-y hallowing of the family name and the frequent gratitude for blessings and such, it could be oppressive at times.

As I understand, the company today may no longer be under the founders' control, so that's got to break up the cult of personality around them. So keep that up.

A Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time

Pros

This is an ethical company that has a core business of SNF and Long Term Care for it's healthcare services. They are rolling-out a Person Centered Approach model throughout all healthcare business lines. They are expanding their home health and hospice business lines through a new parent company.

Cons

Restructuring at corporate level in an attempt to integrate all health services.

Please let the corporate positions resume back to their original job descriptions. The restructuring has caused confusion and diluted business line service delivery.

Appearances mean more than people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff committed to doing good work. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance. Even if your job can be done occasionally at home, they won't allow it. Management is more concerned with appearing to be a great company, than actually being a great company. In corporate, there is considerable turnover of senior leaders, and it appears the ones that go are the ones that won't tow the party line. This organization regularly discounts any feedback from staff that is negative, which means nothing gets better.

No one expects you to be perfect and you're not. There is always room for growth. Your employees actually do have good ideas and insights into what makes a successful work environment. Listen to them.

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - Security Officer EMT  in  Parkville, MD
    Former Employee - Security Officer EMT in Parkville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are excellent: Health insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Discounts to things like cell phones, car rentals, etc...

Cons

Time off and attendance policies are very strict. I had a unique family situation and they were not willing to work with me.

Intern

I worked at Erickson Living

Pros

One of the friendliest people you could work for

Cons

The hiring process is long at times

I used to like it here but it went down the hill mangement was not the best

Former Employee - Dishwasher/Waitstaff  in  Parkville, MD
    Former Employee - Dishwasher/Waitstaff in Parkville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

used to get free food.

Cons

bunch of stuff bad mangemet skills manger was a jerk

care about the job

Worked for Erickson Living? Contribute to the Community!