Erickson Living

Updated October 12, 2014
2.9

CEO
1 Rating

Pros
  • well, the residents are very nice, and the employee benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• very flexible work hours and days (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • If this is true, then why are employees of Ann's Choice encouraged to come to work sick (in 2 reviews)

• It's no surprise I've noticed a number of employees leaving Ann's Choice to instead go to Christ's Home (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work

I have been working at Erickson Living

Pros

Nice working relationships. Values driven company. Really enjoy working with residents.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times. Benefits are ok, could be better.

Greensprings - Restaurant Associate (springfield)

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved my co-workers and some of my managers. The rest I cannot say anything positive about them

Cons

My hours, my hours, my hours. This is why I left because I wouldn't have. They cut my hours and I tried to get some more but the scheduler/manager didn't really feel like it.

Pay attention to the hardworking employees who want to work with Erickson Living for a longer time unless of course y'all decide to cut hours and makes things unstable for us.

Walk away!!!!!

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The residents are great! Other than that the Pros are limited!

Cons

They fire hard working people and replace them with lazy workers. You will get fired for no reason without warning and escorted out like a criminal. They have no loyalty to their employees. The Overland Park location is being destroyed by poor management. No one has a clue how to do their job.

Quit firing your good employees for no reason, replace all management at the Overland Park location before they run the entire place into the ground, especially the medical center, worst manager ever!!!!

Good Experience For First Job

Current Employee - Wait Staff in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Wait Staff in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generous company that offered great scholarship opportunities and bonuses. Better than minimal wage as wait staff starts with a salary about a dollar above minimum wage (because there aren't any tips)... I've really learned a lot from my time at Erickson and feel like it has prepared me well for future jobs.

Cons

Raises are only in increments of about 35 cents no matter how well the employee does. The hours are kind of a pain because the restaurant is only open from 4-6 (the cafe is open all day though) so if you want lots of hours this probably shouldn't be your first choice.

Participate more with lower staff and try to make the company better. Only one of the four managers I have had actively participated in the company and gave the impression that he truly cared, the other three were just there and did not have much of an impact in my opinion.

COMMUNICATIONS

I have been working at Erickson Living

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

nothing really,they are prettty good

please take the advice of lower level workers because they really know whats going on

My supervisor verbally abused me and threatened me. Erickson's response? Make my life miserable until I quit.

Former Employee - Communications Specialist (Front Desk) in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist (Front Desk) in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Residents. Co workers. Food. Dinner. Days off. Double time and a half.
    Resident's family.
    Lunch.
    Campus.
    Residents.

Cons

Mean spirited. I have nothing nice to say, I should have sued them. I DID report them.
    Gossipy.
    Poor management.
    Horrible HR
    Discriminating

Ann's Choice is a joke!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I guess the benefits are okay.

Cons

Just about anything you can imagine. I never imagined that working somewhere would literally cause me to daydream about getting into a car wreck. Management is a joke; Ann's Choice is a place where favoritism rules, and human resources is useless. If your supervisor abuses you in any way, you can almost guarantee that human resources will go out of their way to defend the supervisor. If you have an issue with a co-worker, you better make sure that co-worker isn't on the favorites list, because you'll be the one on the one suddenly in trouble if you report them.

It is almost too difficult to fathom that one place could have so many drastic and ridiculous issues. Erickson Living goes out of it's way to champion it's "core values", yet you are routinely discouraged from actually adhering to them. They tout teamwork, but if you're seen in the same area of the building as another co-worker in your department, you get a stern talking to (this happens in house keeping at Rose Gardens). I've never heard of a place that considered team work to be a concept of shutting your mouth, and working separately. I've heard a manager explain that teamwork is working apart to achieve the same goal.

WORK APART TO ACHIEVE A GOAL.

I understand that this could be a viable tactic in covering all of your basis. Sometimes it's wise to divide and conquer. However, when there is concrete reasoning to actually work together to accomplish tasks in an efficient and speedy manner, it's discouraged. Ann's Choice is a petty place that is hung up on the concept of perception. Management will refuse the use of tactics on the basis of what other departments might perceive. Maybe I'm too practical, but I always considered it more important to get the job done, than to worry what someone in another department thought of my methods. If the job is done in a safe, correct and legal manner, and productivity isn't negatively affected, what does it matter? Let the results speak.

Ann's Choice is a retirement community. Needless to say the elderly live at Ann's Choice. Maybe my knowledge is poor, and my reasoning foolish, but I've always thought the elderly had immune systems that were at risk. If this is true, then why are employees of Ann's Choice encouraged to come to work sick? Not only does this put the residents at risk, but it also puts other co-workers at risk. There is a notice that has gone up that encourages the exact opposite: if you are sick, then you should stay home, even up to two or three days after. However, if you stay home at Ann's Choice, you put your continued employment at risk. You incur what is called an occurrence. Occurrences build up until the employee is in a position to be terminated.

If you find yourself with EIGHT occurrences, then you can be terminated. Each occurrence is only eliminated from your record every rolling year. Occurrences may be given out for reasons outside of calling out of work sick. Every single infraction you can think of is an occurrence, and management has no issue with holding this threat over your head. Even if you have to leave work early, for reasons beyond your control, it's an occurrence.

Ann's Choice is an environment where good employees feel as though they are walking on egg shells.

The above sentence comes from a number of places. At Ann's Choice, good employees are treated poorly in comparison to poor employees. Those that excel at their job, who work hard day in and day out, are taken advantage of at every turn. They are expected to pick up the slack of employees who outright refuse to complete tasks, and are the ones disciplined if they fail to shoulder the extra responsibility. The employees that are refusing to work aren't disciplined in any way. Many of them are even rewarded in some respects with lighter duty, better hours, and extended breaks. Some employees are permitted to have many hours of downtime, or to take breaks that last one to two hours long. Other employees are reprimanded for taking a few extra minutes. There is no sense of equality or justice.

Routinely employees are lied to by manipulative management. Time and time again personal and second-hand experience comes into play here. Several times I've become privy to some form of deception that management has attempted to put over on me. I am not a stupid individual, and it's very insulting that they believe me to be. When one attempts to deceive another, one is putting themselves in a position of intellectual superiority. One does not have confidence in pulling the wool over the eyes of someone more clever than themselves. Only foolish people attempt to do this, and foolish management is not good management.

Ann's Choice is a rather miserable place to work. It's a place where a member of management has been rightfully accused of sexual harassment on multiple instances, and yet that supervisor is still working. Where a supervisor can practice threatening behavior and meet no consequences for their unprofessional behavior. It's no surprise I've noticed a number of employees leaving Ann's Choice to instead go to Christ's Home.

Ann's Choice is a joke.

Get rid of ineffective lower management. The only reason Ann's Choice is still a half-decent place for the residents is due to the hard work of the regular employees, who often have to work around their incompetent superiors.

Establish a more effective counter-measures to fight corruption in lower management. It is nearly criminal that lower management gets away with so much. Another issue is that favoritism is rampant and kills the motivation of good employees to continue to work hard.

Give back to the residents.

"CHANGE" is making people leave

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great! Residents are Amazing!

Cons

Erickson Corp likes to control the communities from a distance. They make significant changes with manager and director input which is making employees very unhappy, sick and leaving. No career advancement, they hire external before promoting from within.

Start listening to your employees before they seek out a louder voice for themselves. Stop hiring and trying to be like you competitor Sunrise.

Felt like the end times, and then it was.

Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Catonsville, MD
    Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Catonsville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Colleagues are generally pleasant. Benefits are unremarkable, but not as bad as many other places. The communities are very pleasant places for customers to live.

Cons

As a corporate culture, it's all the founder all the time, with giant portraits of the CEO above the mantle in the various communities. His kids are throughout the organization. It's also overtly Christian, again because of the founder, so that required some getting used to. Between the cult-y hallowing of the family name and the frequent gratitude for blessings and such, it could be oppressive at times.

As I understand, the company today may no longer be under the founders' control, so that's got to break up the cult of personality around them. So keep that up.

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - Security Officer EMT in Parkville, MD
    Former Employee - Security Officer EMT in Parkville, MD

I worked at Erickson Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are excellent: Health insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Discounts to things like cell phones, car rentals, etc...

Cons

Time off and attendance policies are very strict. I had a unique family situation and they were not willing to work with me.

Erickson Living Photos