Erickson Living

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

CEO
1 Rating

Pros
  • well, the residents are very nice, and the employee benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• very flexible work hours and days (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Working with a very young student population can be interesting, fun at times and challenging at times (in 2 reviews)

• If this is true, then why are employees of Ann's Choice encouraged to come to work sick (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a job

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were great and cheap.
    The Holiday bonus

Cons

It was like working in a soap opera

New Executive Leadership

I worked at Erickson Living

Pros

Erickson was a great place to work during the early years and the new executive leadership that took over a few years ago after the bankruptcy intended to keep the culture intact. Erickson was a place where employees would say "hi" to each other passing the hallways, even if you would never work them. That was rare; however less of the culture pervades after the buyout. Still a great culture overall.

Cons

New management created discipline that the former executive team lacked prior to bankruptcy lacked. However they restructured the company and did extreme job title leveling and demotions across multiple departments. Most job leveling was politically driven and it was poorly executed. Management with great leadership left due to restructuring and were replaced with lower skilled management and job title. Demoting leaders saved the company money, but also hurt the company by bringing poor talent, especially under the Finance area. Lower and cheaper management shows in poorly executed programs at the corporate office and eventually at the communities.

Executive management demoted a lot of leadership in some functions, but within a year promoted numerous directors and vice presidents in other job functions. Hypocrisy pervades in the decisions the executive team made that hurt hard and honest working employees.

Also, complaints by well concerned employees was voiced to the C level team by multiple people regarding employee harassment by management but C level team turned their heads the other way.

Take action when you tell your employees you will. Do not say you will take action and then turn your head away.

Too stressful for part time job

Current Employee - Host in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Host in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are like family, double pay on holidays, scholarship opportunity, build valued relationships with residents

Cons

Micromanagement, high turnover rate with management and other departments, low pay, stress of pleasing managers outweighs benefits of job, school is not a concern of management, managers and supervisors never on the same page about anything

Employees are part time students - not full time adults, so school will almost always come before Ashby Ponds, improve communication between managers, do not treat workers based on race, do not gossip about employees in front of other workers

Eagle's Trace

Current Employee - Care in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Care in Houston, TX

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Human Resources makes you feel as though you are in a great company

Cons

It's a façade. Human resources and management will tell you that you are well cared for but there is little to no follow through

employees rely on what you say.

Wait Staff

Current Employee - Wait Staff
    Current Employee - Wait Staff

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here for 5 years now and i have grown as a person. Students were able to receive scholarships for college and holiday bonuses (funded by the residents, NOT the company itself). It was convenient because I was able to request off when I need to, and they also allowed students in college to come back to work during winter/summer break.

Cons

The pay is terrible. I have been working here for 5 years now and I am only making 45 cents more from when I started. After the state increased minimum wage, they did not add on raises. Therefore, people who have been working here for only 3 months are making more than me, which is pathetic. Some of the staff "higher up" are very unprofessional. New workers are not trained very well.

Company could who doesn't care about employees

I worked at Erickson Living

Pros

none, none, none, none, none

Cons

new management is terrible and unprofessional

fire all management in medical center before a patients life is at risk

Great company with many growth opportunities

I have been working at Erickson Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working for Erickson Living over 2 years and during that time the company has focused a lot of time, money and effort on finding and developing excellent leadership talent to grow along with the company. We are positioned to grow the number of communities we manage and own in the next five years and to that end we have done national searches for highly motivated individuals to join our team.

Cons

Our corp offices are a bit outdated, but they have recently done some improvements, which have made it much nicer.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Erickson Living

Pros

Nice working relationships. Values driven company. Really enjoy working with residents.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging at times. Benefits are ok, could be better.

Greensprings - Restaurant Associate (springfield)

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, VA

I worked at Erickson Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved my co-workers and some of my managers. The rest I cannot say anything positive about them

Cons

My hours, my hours, my hours. This is why I left because I wouldn't have. They cut my hours and I tried to get some more but the scheduler/manager didn't really feel like it.

Pay attention to the hardworking employees who want to work with Erickson Living for a longer time unless of course y'all decide to cut hours and makes things unstable for us.

Good Experience For First Job

Current Employee - Wait Staff in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Wait Staff in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Erickson Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generous company that offered great scholarship opportunities and bonuses. Better than minimal wage as wait staff starts with a salary about a dollar above minimum wage (because there aren't any tips)... I've really learned a lot from my time at Erickson and feel like it has prepared me well for future jobs.

Cons

Raises are only in increments of about 35 cents no matter how well the employee does. The hours are kind of a pain because the restaurant is only open from 4-6 (the cafe is open all day though) so if you want lots of hours this probably shouldn't be your first choice.

Participate more with lower staff and try to make the company better. Only one of the four managers I have had actively participated in the company and gave the impression that he truly cared, the other three were just there and did not have much of an impact in my opinion.

Erickson Living Photos