Erie County Medical Center

Updated September 2, 2014
2.9

CEO

OK company

I worked at Erie County Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional co-workers that were great to work with, good benefits

Cons

Management is disconnected with employee needs and favoritism is rampant.

Negative and toxic environment. Too many fake people.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Erie County Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A teaching hospital.
    Decent benefits.
    Close to my home.
    Great experience.
    Decent pay.

Cons

Very tough job, high nurse to patient ratio 7+:1.
    Lack of staff.
    High turnover.
    Negative and toxic environment.
    Too many bullies.
    Cliques abound.
    Some managers do nothing to help their staff with staff issues.
    No recognition for hard workers.
    More than 3 days a week of work (12 hour shifts).

Be real take the issues mentioned seriously.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Nursing in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Nursing in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Erie County Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Variety of areas to work, lots of learning opportunities. Ability to change jobs and stay within the same company. Great medical staff.

Cons

Community still thinks its a county hospital which it isn't.

Show the staff that you are interested in the jobs they do, recognition of staff is important. Get rid of dead wood instead of passing them along.

Goo experience, good pay and benefits, could be better with staffing.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Erie County Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overnight team worked well together, pay was good and some of the best benefits around.

Cons

Often short staffed because management pulled staff to other floors that were short. Hospital aides are used for pysch patients only. Most of the care is required of the RN only. Will get patients that should be in the ICU on the telemetry floor. Very hard to move from one unit to another within the hospital unless you have a lot of seniority.

Keep staff where it is. Don't pull nurses from one floor to staff another.

Community Foundation in need of massive make over

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Erie County Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's has a strong family dynamic and atmosphere that promote growth and long term employment. It also possesses element that can possibilities' take the hospital to another level in Medicine, Research, Hospitality and more. With the right foundation I believe the hospital potential are endless.

Cons

Most of the effort is taken on by the morning shifts. I strongly believe that the over night shifts lack in the following area. Motivation, work -readiness Work- awareness laziness TOO much leisure time on staff hand. Over worked and under paid not feeling appreciated. Feeling left out of the loop create a false images in the minds of workers/co-workers. That they are less important than other employee. I believe that if we can get the over night shift to SEE that they to are valued in fact both shift are a valued asset as a whole. If we all do our parts than everyone should equally feel important. Over night Managers are a MUST team leaders and meeting to keep overnight shifts in tune with every one else will eventually bring new life to the Corporation over night crew. Taking these steps will bring new life to the shifts and the people who work them. They will begin to see that they are the" heartbeat" of the corporation after all if it wasn't for them. Nothing would be done during the night leaving everything on the morning crew. That a recipe for disaster nothing would get done. They would all ways be behind in work That is NOT how you a run a business at all.

I would tell them to stay on top of ALL staff until there initial goals are met. Be willing to get rid of any employees who are not willing to participate on our new found endeavor. Fore we our on are way to the top where we can all exceed. FYI I would also encourage the slacker to set goals for there self after all they did not get that way over night . Before I would implement the FIRING process.

Registered Nurse

I have been working at Erie County Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good team atmosphere, always learning

Cons

overworked, patients not always cooperative

Not many pros

I have been working at Erie County Medical Center

Pros

you choose your own shift

Cons

a lot of downtime, slow

ok

I have been working at Erie County Medical Center

Pros

Trauma one hospital, get to see many different things. Get a lot of experience

Cons

Doesn't matter what floor you are hired for you will float to other floors with our without training

Pros and Cons of working at ECMc

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Erie County Medical Center

Pros

This hospital has one of the best retirement packages because it participates in the NY state retirement system and because we are represented by a union. In addition we have free parking, a cafeteria, and a credit union on site.

Cons

Management is always trying to chip away at the benefits such as Holidays and paid lunch. They want to reduce the paid lunch to a half hour but they are blind to the fact that many employees do not take breaks, which are mandated by the state. They also are reducing the number of holidays and now we do not have any holiday time for Easter. Sick time is tightly controlled and your sick time goes into your bank but when you leave you do not get any compensation for the time accumulated. All this can make an employee feel unappreciated.

There is a tremendous gap between management and employees. Employees are not encouraged to contact senior management with suggestions or concerns because as soon as they do, their supervisors are contacted before they are.

nursing

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Erie County Medical Center

Pros

benefits are excellent retitement caseload experience and training management understanding paid time off and vacations easy to schedule in advance

Cons

pay lowest in industry union is not that great in negotiating pay raises benefits for new nurses also mandatory overtime

listen to union staff