Erie Insurance Group

Erie Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Terrence W. Cavanaugh

IT Internal Auditor

IT Internal Auditor (Current Employee)
    Erie, PA

ProsFabulous family oriented fortune 500 company. Very loyal to employees - never have had a layoff

ConsNew parking garage is 3 blocks away!

decent company with some terrible management styles

IT Consultant (Current Employee)
    Erie, PA

ProsIt is a decent place to work in Erie. With the right position, you can work until you retire.

ConsThe management can leave something to be desired. A trend has taken over there in management that a certain percentage of employers and contractors are 'not where they should be in terms of expectations'. This is an open-ended criticism that leaves people confused and unable to ask the manager how they can improve. Employees are being forced to retire early because of bad evaluations. Others are not receiving expected pay increases because of managerial criticism that in many cases is unwarranted. Even contractors are being unduly criticised without adequate reason. In one department, the manager has targeted at least 5 people with underperforming appraisals. This leaves the staff nervous and unprepared for the future. This is unwarranted behaviour. Mr. Ingram needs to be aware of what is going here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair to your employees. Stop targeting people because it is a trend. This speaks poorly of the company. If you have a reason to criticize someone's performance, then speak to that person and offer objective improvements to that person.

Erie insurance is an excellent place to work.

IT Intern (Current Employee)
    Erie, PA

ProsOrganized internship program, extremely nice employees, flexible, and understanding.

ConsThere are really no cons that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Erie Insurance a good place to grow your career

Erie, PA

ProsHaving been in many companies throughout the US and Canada, I would say that Erie is one the most fair companies with great perks and benefits and equitable as you will find.

ConsErie is a leading company in the area, who pays above market, therefore there is little employee turnover which has created an entitlement culture. Tenured employees take for granted what they have and when any adjustments have to be made in order to remain competitive it is not received well.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop leaders to be coaches instead of managing processes.

An outstanding company with many dedicated employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Erie, PA

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities to learn and grow. If you put in the effort, you'll get the rewards. Great benefits, including pension, which very few companies offer. Pay is very good.

ConsLike any company, there is a certain amount of red tape that can be frustrating. Even the simple decisions can take a long time to get made.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the non-performers.

Great family values

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat family values and somewhat flat organization. People were great to work with and the company really strived to take care of the customer and agents as well.

ConsSlow changes in product development and IT department was a bit chaotic and slow to change in response to the marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your states more than being very centralized in your decision-making at Erie, PA.

Secure job

Liability Adjuster (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

Prosa lot of positions are remote, good benefits, and depending on your position, you are able to work very independently. However, on the flip side other positions are extremely micro-managed.

Consworkload can be extreme and sometimes just getting basic responses from management is like pulling teeth.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up with technology, they are way behind. Its almost embarrassing.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Strong culture of Independence

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong employee culture
    Long Term Employees, entire families work here
    Zero turnover (unless see note below)

ConsIsolated from the rest of the world
    Does not actively look for new blood
    A new Senior Manager can turn the organization upside down
    It's in ERIE, PA

Erie Insurance is a good place to start your career. Very challenging and rewarding.

Section Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Erie, PA

ProsCareer opportunities for hard workers, great benefits and culture.

ConsOnce in management, work / life balance becomes an issue.

Summer Intern

ProsBest for locals. Very less compensation which is justified by the same saying that it is best for that location. But as an outsider there should be better motivation to come to this place. Very nice people, Very beautiful place too.

ConsNeed to provide better facilities for the outsiders. Had trouble in staying at my appt. due to rude behavior towards the end of summer.

Worked for Erie Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Erie Insurance Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Erie Insurance Group CEO Terrence W. Cavanaugh. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Erie Insurance Group employees.