Erie Insurance Group Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
59 reviews filtered by
3.7
Terrence W. Cavanaugh

Pros
  • Career opportunities for hard workers, great benefits and culture (in 5 reviews)

• Job satisfaction and work-life balance greatly varies with the team you work for (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Once in management, work / life balance becomes an issue (in 4 reviews)

• New parking garage is 3 blocks away (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Erie, PA

I have been working at Erie Insurance Group

Pros

Erie is awesome! There is such a friendly atmosphere - everyone will say hello to you and make you feel welcome! They have a great management team, and their enthusiasm trickles down to all managers of the company. There is plenty of opportunity here!

Cons

The job bidding process kind of sucks. You have to be in a role for at least one year before you can consider another within the company.

Keep doing what you're doing! They take the Great Places to Work survey very seriously, and they have made vast improvements over the last few years!

2. Internship at a great company

I worked at Erie Insurance Group

Pros

-Great company to work for, room for growth and development.
    -Able to speak with higher-ups in the company and learn about their experiences.
    -Very favorable outlook for the future of the company

Cons

-I am unable to think of cons, I really enjoyed my time at Erie.

3. Really good company to work with

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Erie Insurance Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

good culture and program. Everyone's nice and helpful. A lot of opportunities to improve.

Cons

Not really cons. Just don't like Erie that much, a small town.

5. Great organization!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Erie, PA

I have been working at Erie Insurance Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A very large number of opportunities and a good place to start a sound career.

Cons

May take time to advance but your knowledge will be advanced by that time.

Maintain the saying that you are there for the employee as you do now.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Inside Claims Representative in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Claims Representative in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Erie Insurance Group

Pros

Amazing health benefits at a great price , amazing profit sharing bonus that works out to 1 day of pay per year of employment (not guaranteed, but always give in November in my 19 years), good vacation time accrues monthly, pension, matching 401k,$ health incentives, recognition bonuses, drawing, luncheons. At our yearly meeting they handed out IPAD minis to some winners. Can work your way up internally. Ability to work at home in many positions

Cons

sick occurrences are held against you for every day you are out, so 7 days of flu is 7 occurrences unless you apply for family leave, doctors excuses don't cut it I still got a written warning, Training is lax, your learn as you go on the job in most positions . That makes it a challenge to work your way up if someone from another company who has a lot of training is going against you. Management is bad at relaying info. Employees are not able to "rate" their supervisors at assessment time. Yearly raises used to be 6% , now "due to the economy" 2 or 3% but the owner became a billionaire last year? many people were upset by that. Hate the prescription mail order pharmacy we have to use. Lower pay than many companies but never see downsizing or layoffs

Listen to the employees, allow a forum to rate supervisors who are remotely supervised themselves, keep up the perks and benefits- money talks. Training, rethink sick time penalty

7. Excellent company

I have been working at Erie Insurance Group

Pros

Great people, super benefits, good culture. In 2014 company had a "think ahead" innovation platform that drew a high level of employee participation, wellness incentives, lots of community involvement, etc. Great company to work for.

Cons

Employee work platforms from an IT perspective trail the industry. Need focus on ease of doing business for employees.

Keep doing what you are doing. Lots of positives. Strong leadership in place that knows what needs to be done. Increase the focus on improving employee ease of doing business.

8. Liability Adjuster

Former Employee - Liability Adjuster in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Liability Adjuster in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Erie Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a work from home position

Cons

Heavy workload with little support from management. Very little face to face interaction. Expectations are not realistic considering the heavy workload of incoming claims.

9. Cheating their agents

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

I worked at Erie Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy insurance to sell because it is priced well.

Cons

They don't truly care about their clients because they don't care about their agents.

My clients have been in limbo for over 6 months now. I have not been able to help them cancel policies, add to their policies or do anything. I have clients who have policies that have cancelled that don't know they have. They all did business with me who brought them to Erie. Not the other way around. We are looking for new insurance companies to place the business. This is not easy for the client to understand. When you have praised a company in the past.

If you need their help they will go out of their way to screw you, especially their agents. I brought on over $300,000 of new premium to the company in less than 2 and a half years working as a rep for an agency. For a young rep and really any rep that is a lot. That agency stopped paying me and so I went out on my own and bought my practice miraculously. Erie refused to give me a contract and is making it difficult for me to transfer that business to another agent who will pay me on it (so the money I spend I might not get back unless I sue the other agent). So of the roughly $40k a year they should be paying me, now they are paying someone else. If I'm lucky, I will only get 40-60% of the entire amount I am owed, if anything and I have zero control of my business and clients. Loosing some because of this as well! Talk about taking care of the people who help make your company possible. The people who bleed to make your company possible.

The Agency Manager(who lives in my town), sent me a one sentence email via his IPad to tell me they would not give me a contract. When I went to try to meet him face to face and try to get an answer. He told me never to speak to him again.

Take care of the people who build your company. Working with Erie has been one of the worst experiences and I will tell every agent I speak with just that.

10. Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Erie, PA

I worked at Erie Insurance Group

Pros

Hours are flexible, people are nice but boring. Work is boring but you'll be able to do it. If you can't do it someone will probably help you. Not too stressful at all really. Decent to good pay. Most interns make between $12-$18 per hour, depending on your department and education level.

Cons

People are boring, job is boring, company is annoying in its culture.

Stop trying to be Google with those toys.

11. Excellent place to work in Erie, PA! Family owned, family grown business. Strong successful culture.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Erie, PA

I have been working at Erie Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the steady as she goes mentality. It has worked for 90 years.

Cons

Some (not all) of the outside management coming in treats tenured employees with little respect. Pure jealousy.

Keep your eye on the "charmers" from outside. They're knowledge is valuable; however, we need to protect the culture. It works! New upper management pretends to buy in to the culture but backs the valuable tenured management employees in to a corner behind closed doors. Not cool.

Erie Insurance Group Photos