Eriksen Translations

Updated May 22, 2014

4.1

Vigdis Eriksen

Very positive experience at Eriksen

Pros

Eriksen has great people; I really like my co-workers, and they are knowledgeable, good at their jobs, and very engaged. Everyone is interested in delivering good quality and good service to the clients.

I think the work-life balance is good . The language industry which can have long hours or early starts/late nights to facilitate working with people in different time zones. Here at Eriksen, there are not too many people in the office before 9am and after 6pm. There is a contrast to other LSPs where a daily marathon work day for most employees is more common. The PTO policy is generous too.

I did not agree with the person who wrote a review on Jan 10, 2014. Everyone is entitled to share their opinion, but I don't see that "employee morale is in the toilet"; rather, I find it very energizing to come to a work place with smiling, friendly, happy co-workers.

Cons

Small companies do not have the same promotion opportunities as large companies. However, you can get to wear several hats and are not limited to just your own function. The sense of involvement and contribution to the success of a small company can be very satisfying compared with a large company.

I like the diverse range of things we get to be involved with; thank you for those opportunities and please keep them coming!

It feels like family!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

I have worked for Eriksen for three years, and since day one I felt a sense of belonging which has stayed with me ever since. The Eriksen team feels like family. No matter how busy they are, my colleagues are always eager to help with anything I need. And they do so with a smile. We have a diverse staff of almost 30 people who come from 15 different countries. It’s enriching to work with people of such different backgrounds, who offer new perspectives and insights.

Despite the sometimes crazy pace of business, we make sure to take time to celebrate the success – which is inspiring to all. We also support causes outside the realm of business, such as the Swedish Midsummer Fest or the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk, which helps foster a sense of community amongst the staff.

As a small company, we do not have the clear path of advancement one might find in a larger organization. However, I have always felt encouraged to learn and grow professionally under the supervision and guidance of the upper management. They take a sense of pride in their work and strive towards perfection. Working closely with our management team has helped me strive to be more confident and ultimately do better at my job.

Cons

The pace of the job can be difficult at times. We serve a variety of clients, many of whom have very large expectations. This can create pressure because we always strive to provide the best possible service and exceed their expectations.

Continue to support and encourage your staff, and nurture their many talents

Memorable- not in a good way

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Free and unlimited access to restrooms and free air. Very talented people for most part, especially their client service manager.

Cons

The owner. Read any other feedback on why people leave or dont stay long term and you will find a common denominator. No need to say more. Just read other reviews. A very light breeze of cultural insensitivity. Minorities dont really have a chance to thrive here, the few minorities they hire that is.

Support your staff. This is challenging because HR when there is HR wants to save their jobs. That leaves staff with no one to turn to when staff feels they are being treated unfairly or with hostility.

Eriksen Translations Response

May 22, 2014Founder & CEO

I’d like to address the comment about hiring minorities. A diverse environment has always been a source of pride here at Eriksen. Check out our team on www.eriksen.com – of our 25 employees, 14 are ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Pros

A very professional and competent team. Unlike larger corporations, the management ususally consult all stakeholder before making major changes.Eriksen is the most quality and customer oriented place I have ever worked at. Everything is done with passion and integrity and it’s really great to be able to stand behind and to be proud of what you deliver to your clients. It is also a pleasure to be part of such talented and dedicated team. Eriksen is a great place to work at!

Cons

like other smaller companies there are limited opportunities for advancement within the company

keep focusing on high level quality work

Highly skilled management and staff

Pros

The staff is friendly, sociable, quick to help and highly skilled at their job. Several of the employees have been there several years and are highly experienced. The owner, who is also a linguist, takes great pride in the work that is done. She is personally invested in providing a great workplace with opportunities for everyone. Procedures are well documented, and maintained. I have personally been met with great friendship and flexibility.

Cons

The learning curve can be steep, and in a small company there is less room for mistakes. This requires the best of all the employees.

Make sure there is room for asking questions/suggesting changes/making mistakes. Keep the dialogue open; keep encouraging and modeling good listening and communication skills, keep helping each individual use their skills and gifts and be successful.

Stimulating environment, great colleagues, interesting clients!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great mix of friendly, smart staff from around the world. Very interesting set of clients, providing the opportunity to work on projects of real significance. Everyone is passionate about language and dedicated to what they do, and this comes through in the level of quality ultimately provided, high levels of client satisfaction.

Cons

As with any ‘smaller’ company, there is less room for movement into different roles (people still advance in their position, however).

Keep enabling the company for growth through the hiring of great staff, and investment in the latest technology. The world of translation is changing fast!

Learning through new challenges

Pros

The company has been able to gather quite a few very dedicated and skilled workers. The diverse nature of the projects allows for ample opportunity to learn the many steps involved in getting a translation in (sales) and out (quality service). Motivated employees will find out promptly the value of teamwork and solidarity. As a mid-size enterprise, there is space for development for those with strong goals and affirmative personalities.

Cons

This field is marked by intense business competition and long working hours. The demands may lead to some tensions in the workplace, but this goes for the industry as a whole.

Worst job experience I've ever had

Pros

Some coworkers are talented and are nice people.

Cons

The owner is a total micromanager and control freak with zero business sense. She is unstable, paranoid, hypercritical, irrational, obsessive, stingy, superficial, unappreciative, and down right mean. She is known as the dragon lady in the industry. She expects her employees to work 18 hours a day and do three jobs for the pay of one. There is no work-life balance. Company is barely breaking even. Extremely poorly managed. Employee morale is in the toilet. Employee turnaround is mindboggling. Unhealthy and hurtful internal politics.

Take a basic management course. Learn how to treat employees.

High-pressure environment driven by the shifting winds of the owner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

It is a high-quality boutique translation agency with a strong sense of identity. There used go be overtime pay. It is located in attractive offices in Brooklyn Heights. Wide variety of subject areas/projects. Reasonably fair pay by market standards.

Cons

There is immense direct and personal pressure for maximum profit from the Owner/CEO, whose mood swings dictate the mood and morale of the staff on any give day.
    There is a large contingent of the staff who are on H1 visas from Argentina who are essentially indentured servants as if they get fired, they lose their right to remain in the states. This creates an added pressure on them. They work at under-market salaries and form their own impenetrable clique. They can make or break account managers they like/don't like by fixing delivery times on projects.
    There is a blatant preference given to Scandinavian employees, as the owner is herself Norwegian and has a marked bias for Europeans in general and Scandinavians in particular.

Advancement is slow and no evident meritocracy is in operation.

Create an relatively independent middleman between the owner and workers for reviews. Provide real support to staff when problems arise, rather than being concerned with assigning blame first and foremost. Basically, seriously consider how to best create a company culture of real and mutual support. Break down the cliques by hiring a greater diversity of races and nationalities.

Eriksen Translations Response

Nov 4, 2013Founder & CEO

Thank you for your review. Over the past five years, our staff has fluctuated between 25 and 35 people, and during this period we sponsored eight people on H-1B visas, out of whom four were from ... More

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Controller  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Controller in New York, NY

Pros

Very friendly environment, good procedures and processes in place streamlining the activity. The management team is very strong and the duties are well divided within the organization. This allows for a clear understanding of job responsibilities and allows for good comprehensive year-end reviews. The company strives to create good KPIs for each position and train its employees to understand them, follow them up and present them to the management.

Cons

The company is small so it is prone to be affected by market movements and by strong competition. Also, the organic growth of the company might be slower than some people would expect, also due to the size.

To emphasize more the Six Sigma and business process management.

Worked for Eriksen Translations? Contribute to the Community!