Erwin-Penland

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Erwin

Energetic and passionate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere and coworkers. Great place to get your foot in the door and get to work on decent-sized brands. In Downtown Greenville, which is gorgeous.

ConsPay was way lower than national averages. Getting promoted was somewhat of an obscure pursuit. Can be a bit of a sweat shop if you work in the design studio.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more. Promote more often. Stop running studio like a sweat shop.

Senior management can't find its own way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people that work at Erwin Penland are great. Some good, some not so good.

ConsSenior leadership tends to be so removed from what is going on that middle management is left to fend for itself and their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-Life management is a big issue at the agency.

If you are willing to live through growing pains for years, then this is the place.

3 years with EP - mixed feelings

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThe people truly are great. I made a lot of friends, had fun each day at work & knew my team had my back.

Laid back, casual atmosphere. You don't have to feel too intimidated to speak to Senior Management

Great downtown location--convenient for lunch time outings, after work outings, etc

Opportunity to work on national clients

ConsExtremely low salaries for long hours. While you can live comfortably in Greenville on an EP salary, you will work long and hard for it. Don't expect any overtime--it doesn't exist.

Promotions are slow coming for most of the entry level employees. I saw certain managers get promoted 2 and 3 times each before I got one.

EP thinks the culture makes up for everything. While it is cool that you can bring your dog to work and we sometimes have a beer cart, that doesn't make up for the low salaries or politics involved at the office. Also, most of the perks EP has can be found at many a company now.

Advice to Senior ManagementReviews need to be less structured and they should lead to promotion/raises. I didn't even get any kind of constructive criticism from my reviews that would help my performance because my managers were always too busy to put time into them. What would make me want to participate?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You put your heart into your work, you work long hours and aren't compensated appropriately.

Account Management (Former Employee)

ProsAlthough it's becoming extinct, the culture. The environment and your team members. At least in my experience.

ConsYou will not get paid your worth. You will not get promoted in a timely manner, if at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a lot more in tune with your team. Be a part of the team and not a person that can never be found or knows what's going on with the business.

Open, warm environment. Everyone is approachable.

Intern (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsEXCELLENT culture, working environment. FUN. Tremendous sense of team culture and unity among ALL employees. For example, the entire office meets together every Monday in a fun, entertaining assembly to share developments and keep everyone update with whats going on in the company.

ConsAlthough EP handles large clients, there is a lack of high-end, luxury clients. A more diverse client roster would ad prestige to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone in management should learn from and reflect Joe Erwins approach to leadership.

Great learning experience, would not stay there

Public Relations (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsIt was a great place to start my career, learn the industry and get my hands in a broad spectrum of cleints. It was also a great place to network. Perfect for recent grads to gain experience with reputable clients.

ConsSalaries/compensation is extremely low. Most, if not all, employees work 50+ hours per week and weekends and do not receive compensation for over time. Little opportunity to move up but extreme growth of workload- so everyone is overworked/no new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for entry-level staff, more opportunity for promotions/new hires, senior management should listen to employees needs to feel more valuable (raise salaries, lessen workload, etc.)

Great atmosphere, but not for the weak at heart.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsErwin-Penland (EP) has a great open, team environment. It's nice to know that even the President doesn't have his own office. The open envirnment fosters teamwork and open discussions. You can easily make friends here and they provide lots of fun activities for all employees. As an entry level employee, you have a great opportunity to learn many areas of the advertising world and develop skills that will serve you well in any job.

ConsThe salaries are not the highest. Much of the time you will deal with very tight deadlines and high-pressue situations. And don't be suprised if you have to put in 50+ hours a week sometimes. But, if you ask a true EPer, they wouldn't have it any other way.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the employees and offer more training.

Solid

ProsEntrepreneurial, solid leadership, willingness to take risks

ConsSeen as a 'southern' agency, people don't know what that is

Worked for Erwin-Penland? Contribute to the Community!