Espial Reviews

Updated June 18, 2014
Updated June 18, 2014
3.2

Jaison Dolvane

Working for Espial is great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Espial full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm a new grad and working at Espial has been great. The work is varied and interesting and I've gotten a lot of support from management. People are friendly and helpful, with a small company feel, but because Espial is international you get to work with people all over the world. The environment is casual and flexible and the location, on Elgin, is easy to get to both for drivers and those who take public transit. Overall, my time at Espial has been wonderful.

Cons

The office is kind of chaotic and messy, but we're moving floors next month. Because the company is international meetings can be at all hours of the day/

Good Experience in IPTV

Current Employee - Customer Support  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Espial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good exposure to work on mission critical system, and able to play vital role of solution architect to many tier-1 European customers as their IPTV business grew with our company product.

Cons

Poor strategic decisions of some products, leading to confusion and unnecessary anxiety on every day.

Retaining existing customers, and respect to employee's skills. Communicate periodically company goals, and steps required to achieve with feedback on progress made on the goals

How Espial wasted the wonderful opportunity - acquisition of Kasenna so cheaply

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Espial

Pros

It was a great place to learn IPTV technology, especially the VOD server technology. The middle management is really nice to work with, despite the senior management.

Cons

The executive management is not fully competent to navigate the complexities of the IPTV industry at the current time. The NIH syndrome along with limited experience in US will set the company back in till 3Q09.

The management needs to fully understand the implications of some of the product decisions - not make the decisions emotionally or based on location. They would also need to raise the morale of their engineering team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for someone just graduated.

I have been working at Espial full-time for more than a year

Pros

People in the team are very helpful. The company is located in downtown Ottawa, which is a huge plus since major bus stops all go there.

Cons

As a engineer, you have to carry the support phone for one week. Depends on the number of people in your team, the frequency of carry the phone may be once a month or once every 2 months. This is a bit inconvenient since you can't stay far from the computer during the week that you have to carry the phone.

Learned a lot, and a great team

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Espial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great technology in a rapidly developing IP TV market that will stand the team there in good stead as the TV experience moves to open internet technology.

Cons

Espial is a smaller company size company that will remain susceptible to market changes and offers limited scope for career progression

Keep doing what you're doing...it will all come out in the wash.

Worked for Espial? Contribute to the Community!