Esri

Esri Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Esri President Jack Dangermond

Jack Dangermond

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance, benefits, the employees, the campus"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Great benefits and time of for new parents"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no career path - pick your life's work and you will be just fine"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall assessment

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsPaid health insurance and some friendly co-workers although they take awhile to get to know.

ConsDisjointed, controlling and uninspiring management. Pay way below standard given the pressure and expectations. Not much in the way of backslapping with this organization. Intimidation seems to be the management style to extract what they perceive is acceptable performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry listening to people. Try exuding some authentic enthusiasm. Stop burdening people with an obsessive compulsion to babysit a CRM tool.

Zero Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you want to be lazy and just coast by you'll fit right in with everyone else.

ConsIncompetent, unqualified coworkers and zero chance for growth internally. No incentive for hard work.

Contractors Beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Redlands, CA

ProsAt the team level you will work with talented, smart, and motivated folks that care about their career and the work you do. Teams usually have a greater sense of family than the HR department.

ConsRecruiters and HR will change policies and will get rid of contractors that ask too many questions. I would suggest anyone that is working with a recruiter beware the lunches, the follow ups are nothing more than information gathering points. These people do not care about you and often times will tell you in the worse case scenarios "there's always better opportunities" even if you really want the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementJack, if you care about the teams at Esri and the people who really want to work there, fix the HR department and the way contractors are treated. There is no excuse for the lying and the mistreatment of contractors who really want a job with Esri.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is full of disappointment

ProsThe pay structure used allows employee to make extra compensation when underpaid hourly they can make it up by working extra hours.

ConsPoor Leadership. Very old school. Micromanage everything. no work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out your senior leadership. They are sub-par across the board. I've never witnessed such poor senior management. Not a lot of faith in the leadership of any of the senior executives.

Be Prepared to Be Manipulated, Underpaid, and Silent

Follower of Esri's Orders (Former Employee)
    Redlands, CA

ProsGIS. Paid Healthcare. Casual.

ConsMany benefits are held. Yours, but not yours. "Unique environment" is code for : Even the sales people moonlight to pay their bills to get ahead while working for a billionaire who underpays them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWise up. HR has serious anger and control issues. Management should smile once in awhile. The reputation of the company proceeded us. That "used to be" a good thing.

Exciting company to work for

Software (Former Employee)
    Redlands, CA

ProsVersatility, exposure to latest technologies, great location

ConsNot easy to move into other domains within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementFlexibility to give people opportunities to move into other departments.

Bad mamagement

Multimedia Designer (Current Employee)
    Redlands, CA

ProsGreat place to start and learn GIS but don't plan on staying. Good benefits, and 401K. Nice campus lots of trees.

ConsManager doesn't know what you are doing. Likes to micromanage. Lots of favoritism, if you are not in pay raises are very low. Owner doesn't know what is going on in the trenches. Thinks thing are great.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean the closets and get some people in who know how to manage.

AWESOME place to work!!!

Intern (Former Employee)
    Redlands, CA

ProsWorking with creative, brilliant, talented people from all over the world on a beautiful campus where you have endless opportunities to learn, grow, and be involved in the quaint Redlands community.

ConsThe morale and day-to-day experience tends to vary depending on which department you work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!!

Sr Software Engineer

ProsHQ only: A real office, not cubicle. Nice profit sharing, full benefits a la Microsoft. Very stable company that provides employment for life. Nice city, quiet life, low real estate prices.

ConsNot much career movement. If you want something more, you either move to the less quiet area or create a startup.

A lot of ups and downs but overall a positive experience over 10+ years

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsA fair degree of autonomy; excellent benefits; excellent technology and product direction backed by outstanding customer service. Privately held so a long term view usually predominates decisions.

Consvery limited mobility internally, especially for experienced individuals; despite words to the contrary, Esri is a very hard company to strike a good work/life balanced; if GIS isn't your passion, Esri is probably not where you want to be.

Worked for Esri? Contribute to the Community!

Esri Videos

Esri – Why Work for Us?

Esri is the world leader in geographic information system (GIS) software development. Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s GIS technology enables… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Esri reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Esri CEO Jack Dangermond. All 203 reviews posted anonymously by Esri employees.