Esri Reviews

Reset
3.2
Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Provides a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• great benefits --- essentially free healthcare (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path and no support from HR to find one (in 18 reviews)

• very limited personal career growth (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great organization with smart people.

Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The campus is beautiful and we have pretty good IT equipment. The holidays are good. Love the fact we get MLK day off. Not many companies recognize this as a holiday. Profit sharing is awesome. Change to vesting as schedule is nice for 401k and profit sharing. You are fully vested after 3 years used to 7 years which was ridiculous. Nice to see corporate can make some tough decisions and get rid of dead weight like in HR and Marketing. Hope there can be more decisions done in the future.

Cons

Wish we had more sick time. We only get 5 days. 2 weeks would be nice. Communication is getting better but needs to improve. Corporate is too involved in daily things like promotions and some hiring decisions so things slow down because of this. Career path is ok. You have to make your own. Would be nice if there was a budget for employee recognition activities. A lot of managers have to pay for this out of their own pockets. I feel bad as Esri isn't to competitive salary wise but if you have a good manager they recognize the importance and they do it. But would be nice if the company had a budget for this. Merit increases are low. Expect 3% - 4%. To get large pay increases you have to get promoted or threaten to leave.

Advice to Management

Trust managers and employees.

May 18, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for recognizing our efforts towards improving communication and we will continue to work on this companywide. We are happy to hear your hard work is being recognized, and we're working ... More

Compelling Vision / Upside down accountability model

Former Employee - Consultant/Project Manager in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant/Project Manager in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's hard to beat Esri's vision. Esri provides their clients the tools and services they need to make the world a better place . It doesn't matter whether you're into solving world hunger, protecting the environment, or preserving our crumbling infrastructure. Esri has tools and services that make it easier. At Esri you get to work with some of the world's most brilliant minds; people who are passionate about what they do. You can have access to cutting edge software and will be empowered to do what you need to in order to get the job done, so long as you are putting the customer first. If you are unsure of which path to take you only need ask yourself two questions; is it ethical? and is it good for the customer? If the answer is yes to both, there will likely be no serious repercussions if you make a mistake.

Cons

If you're looking for high wages and a lot of recognition, Esri's culture will work against you. Some folks at Esri are making good money and some are in the spotlight. These are not necessarily the same people. If it's the spotlight you want, you have to be a true believer and an evangelist. If it's high pay you're looking for, you need to grind, grind, grind. Oftentimes these goals are mutually exclusive. The expectation is that the work is its own reward. What that translates to in real life is that strong performers are held accountable and poor performers are not. This upside down model can create a caustic work environment, especially when poor performers are promoted out of their groups (sometimes the easiest way to get rid of a problem is to promote it away) while good performers are treated like traitors if they express a desire to advance their careers.

Advice to Management

Help new employees establish a career path and set realistic goals. Actually have an advancement path and stop leaving it up to every employee to figure it out for themselves. Enough with the unwritten rules, already. There are too many things that remain unspoken which can trip a new employee up and impact their careers for years to come.

Long time employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Benefits, flexible work schedule, work-life balance, flat management structure if you're not looking to move up in management. Great place to advance your technical skill.

Cons

Low pay compared to similar jobs at other companies. Little room for advancement into upper management positions. HR does not do much when issues are brought to them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. There are a lot of very talented people with great ideas that are often ignored due to management egos.

Aug 4, 2015

It concerns us you do not find HR to be an advocate for our employees. We agree, Esri has many extremely talented and bright people and we want to make every effort to support them. Thank you for ... More

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging environment Plenty of smart people around Get to work on products being used around the world Good benefits

Cons

No career growth unless you chart your own course. Very low pay rises even after being recognized as doing an excellent job.

Advice to Management

Please reward and encourage/promote your best employees. Have more training options.

Big company benefits, small company feel.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trendy multi-cultural and multi-generational environment, best health care plan, flexible, family oriented, gym and Starbucks on site, comfy chairs.

Cons

It takes a long time to make a decision, some people have been there too long and reluctant to change, no team-building activities, very "clicky", everything is treated as "top secret"

Advice to Management

Be transparent across all levels and you'll gain trust

GIS Desktop Support Analyst

Current Employee - GIS Desktop Support Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - GIS Desktop Support Analyst in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, Medical, Profit Share, Bank Hours

Cons

No daycare or pet care

People in leadership positions are terrible

Former Contractor - UC Clerk in Redlands, CA
    Former Contractor - UC Clerk in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri as a contractor

Pros

Esri is a great company to work with. The benefits are decent, and it is a world leader in GIS. Good chance to be hired on if the people like you. Great opportunity to hone Microsoft Office skills.

Cons

At least in my experience, the events coordinator seemed to get off on having someone to lord over. It was very much "do it my way, and only my way," hidden behind the thinly veiled excuse of being compliant. It was clear asking questions was looked down upon as well. If you aren't pressing refresh on the web based reports, you aren't busy enough.

Advice to Management

Give your employees room to breathe. Micromanagement is terrible for productivity. Also, rearrange the desks so a person is not facing away from the door when seated. That way, some employees won't be getting paid to watch movies on their tablet.

Fairly Cool place but it can be boring

Current Intern - Spacial Data Infrastructure in Redlands, CA
    Current Intern - Spacial Data Infrastructure in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri as an intern

Pros

it has great people, and a really diverse environment

Cons

it gets really hot during summer

Advice to Management

Get more students from UCR

Stable company making a good impact,

Former Employee - Manager in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, pretty campus, good benefits

Cons

dysfunctional management, lack of effective and consistant communication

Advice to Management

Hold all employees accountable

The truth about Esri - truly a warm and inviting dysfunctional family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To understand the situation at Esri, one must consider the companies’ history. The founders are well-meaning older couple with lighthearted souls. Their company has been around for decades and took off in the early days of software and steadily increased in size. They’ve dreamed big for their company — the headquarters nestled in a lush southern California location away from the hustle and bustle of big city life. They believe in work-life balance and employees should be paid for every hour of work. They’ve succeeded in their eyes and in the GIS community. Sound like a tech oasis? Let me convince you otherwise. As an employee you'll receive a relatively modest income, good working environment, decent benefits but rarely any advancement. Even some of the best employees will not be promoted for 4 – 6 years. In the rare event that a position is "open", it will likely stay open and eventually someone will have to fill it – even if it means it's you and you know nothing about the position. Every team I know is severely understaffed. The combination of Ersi’s modestly, insignificance in the tech world, and inability to attract talent due to wage and location means there will rarely be a time where someone is hired who can actually do the job well from the start. Management positions have often gone to people who’ve stuck around the longest, and far too many people are wearing too many hats, of course this includes management. You will be either micro-managed or under-managed and the later is most common. It’s created very hush-hush environment in regards to internal practices and problems. This has resulted poor management, organization and it’s products. Yes, of course it affects the products everyone speaks so highly of. The CEO Jack unfortunately expects higher management to figure out the problems and vice-versa from higher management. Are problems solved this way? Nope. Esri’s products in the GIS industry are unparalleled, but when compared to products of the larger tech industry, eh they are mediocre at best. We make a lot of poor to mediocre software….but we've been doing it the best in the GIS industry! This is because Esri relies on a lot of old technology. Technology which is in too big of a knot to be untangle. We continue tying pretty little bows on top of this knot until we receive enough complaints or threats. It’s then, and only then — can we begin to consider a fix. Most of the time the problem cannot be fixed without the right team and years of reworking all of the strings attached. There are employees who actually care, those who disrupt their work-life balance to sort out all a lot of these problems but many of them grow resentful or drown their sorrows at the local bars just after noon on Fridays. These employees sometimes stick around longer than a few years, but more often than not leave and take other strong employees with them. This creates a frustrating environment for the best employees. You will find an abundance of smart, easy-going, and barely trained "professionals" in every department. There are a few teams that are great, but the majority of them are entangled in the above problems. All in all, if your standards are low or you like an easy-going job you'll really like Esri and stay forever. If you have high standards and expect everyone to do their job to the best of their ability, it’ll take you about 2 years to realize you want to leave but good luck getting hired elsewhere. It's truly warm and inviting dysfunctional family.

Cons

Sick time, vacation time, wage

Advice to Management

Goodluck

Jun 30, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. As Esri continues to grow we are aggressively hiring in all areas of the company, and encourage you to refer qualified candidates. We are ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed