Esri Reviews

Reset
3.2
Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Provides a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• great benefits --- essentially free healthcare (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path and no support from HR to find one (in 18 reviews)

• very limited personal career growth (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great organization with smart people.

Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The campus is beautiful and we have pretty good IT equipment. The holidays are good. Love the fact we get MLK day off. Not many companies recognize this as a holiday. Profit sharing is awesome. Change to vesting as schedule is nice for 401k and profit sharing. You are fully vested after 3 years used to 7 years which was ridiculous. Nice to see corporate can make some tough decisions and get rid of dead weight like in HR and Marketing. Hope there can be more decisions done in the future.

Cons

Wish we had more sick time. We only get 5 days. 2 weeks would be nice. Communication is getting better but needs to improve. Corporate is too involved in daily things like promotions and some hiring decisions so things slow down because of this. Career path is ok. You have to make your own. Would be nice if there was a budget for employee recognition activities. A lot of managers have to pay for this out of their own pockets. I feel bad as Esri isn't to competitive salary wise but if you have a good manager they recognize the importance and they do it. But would be nice if the company had a budget for this. Merit increases are low. Expect 3% - 4%. To get large pay increases you have to get promoted or threaten to leave.

Advice to Management

Trust managers and employees.

May 18, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for recognizing our efforts towards improving communication and we will continue to work on this companywide. We are happy to hear your hard work is being recognized, and we're working ... More

2. Great Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri (More than a year)

Pros

Solid company with amazing benefits! Management team is extremely sharp and intelligent - all very highly educated. Advance degrees are held in high esteem and people are encouraged to seek out additional training or schooling. When I was there they were still offering tuition reimbursement and discounts at local universities.

Cons

Very flat structure. A bit of a pro, but people stay here for a Long time, which means if you want to move up, it's going to be after someone retires or leaves. If you are trying to advance into management you had better go in as a manager.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! With the benefits that esri offers you can be sure that top talent will stick around.

3. Great Company to work for!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Very friendly environment. Easy to fit in. The benefits are amazing and you can really learn a lot from your peers. Love it here!!

Cons

not very way to move up in the company. Company is structured very lateral which makes your position feel stagnant.

Advice to Management

management is great. My manager is always taking feedback and pushing us to our max potential. Great leadership in this company!

5. Personnel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Pros

Well intentioned people. Hard working personnel

Cons

Muscle memory New methods are difficult, as with any company

Advice to Management

Stay the course

Professional Services

Former Employee - Professional Services Manager in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services Manager in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independence to do a lot of things, great team of people to work with

Cons

Lack of Senior Leadership, Clear Direction, Lots of Politics, People playing games to get ahead especially in commercial business. Favorites of Jack manipulate reality.

Advice to Management

Get professional management and let them do their job. it's not rocket science.

Compelling Vision / Upside down accountability model

Former Employee - Consultant/Project Manager in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant/Project Manager in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's hard to beat Esri's vision. Esri provides their clients the tools and services they need to make the world a better place . It doesn't matter whether you're into solving world hunger, protecting the environment, or preserving our crumbling infrastructure. Esri has tools and services that make it easier. At Esri you get to work with some of the world's most brilliant minds; people who are passionate about what they do. You can have access to cutting edge software and will be empowered to do what you need to in order to get the job done, so long as you are putting the customer first. If you are unsure of which path to take you only need ask yourself two questions; is it ethical? and is it good for the customer? If the answer is yes to both, there will likely be no serious repercussions if you make a mistake.

Cons

If you're looking for high wages and a lot of recognition, Esri's culture will work against you. Some folks at Esri are making good money and some are in the spotlight. These are not necessarily the same people. If it's the spotlight you want, you have to be a true believer and an evangelist. If it's high pay you're looking for, you need to grind, grind, grind. Oftentimes these goals are mutually exclusive. The expectation is that the work is its own reward. What that translates to in real life is that strong performers are held accountable and poor performers are not. This upside down model can create a caustic work environment, especially when poor performers are promoted out of their groups (sometimes the easiest way to get rid of a problem is to promote it away) while good performers are treated like traitors if they express a desire to advance their careers.

Advice to Management

Help new employees establish a career path and set realistic goals. Actually have an advancement path and stop leaving it up to every employee to figure it out for themselves. Enough with the unwritten rules, already. There are too many things that remain unspoken which can trip a new employee up and impact their careers for years to come.

Long time employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Pros

Benefits, flexible work schedule, work-life balance, flat management structure if you're not looking to move up in management. Great place to advance your technical skill.

Cons

Low pay compared to similar jobs at other companies. Little room for advancement into upper management positions. HR does not do much when issues are brought to them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. There are a lot of very talented people with great ideas that are often ignored due to management egos.

Aug 4, 2015

It concerns us you do not find HR to be an advocate for our employees. We agree, Esri has many extremely talented and bright people and we want to make every effort to support them. Thank you for ... More

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging environment Plenty of smart people around Get to work on products being used around the world Good benefits

Cons

No career growth unless you chart your own course. Very low pay rises even after being recognized as doing an excellent job.

Advice to Management

Please reward and encourage/promote your best employees. Have more training options.

Aug 12, 2015

We encourage our employees to be creative and flexible in their growth here and would absolutely like to have more training options to support this - please let us know what specifically you would ... More

Big company benefits, small company feel.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trendy multi-cultural and multi-generational environment, best health care plan, flexible, family oriented, gym and Starbucks on site, comfy chairs.

Cons

It takes a long time to make a decision, some people have been there too long and reluctant to change, no team-building activities, very "clicky", everything is treated as "top secret"

Advice to Management

Be transparent across all levels and you'll gain trust

No career opportunities.

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learning GIS is by far the only pro of working at Esri.

Cons

Absolutely no attempt is made by management or HR to further any type of career advancement. Training is routinely denied. Any attempts to transfer to other departments will be denied. HR will always side with managers who have been there for decades despite the fact that they are liars. Management lying and manipulating is completely acceptable.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the liars! You know who they are.

RSS Feed </> Embed