Esri

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Provides a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• great benefits --- essentially free healthcare (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no career path - pick your life's work and you will be just fine (in 18 reviews)

• No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate

I worked at Esri

Pros

Benefits are awesome!!!! Learning all the time. Willing to train.

Cons

Hard to move up within the company.

A great place to ride off into the sunset?

Former Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits (health, dental, vision, life, 401k with match, profit sharing). Beautiful campus. Nice people. You probably won't get fired.

Cons

I wanted to love this company so much. Everything seemed great (see Pros), but the longer I was there, the more I felt like something isn't right at esri. It just feels sleepy. There's no energy (maybe for the User Conference, but if you're not involved there - meh). It just feels like everyone there is resigned to the fact that they need to stay their 6 (or is it 7?) years until they're fully vested. Trust me, that is an ETERNITY!

It honestly seems like a fantastic place to retire from. There isn't a lot of stress. Not much is asked of you. You can keep developing in the same technology forever and no on will bat an eyelash. But after 2 or 3 years there, I doubt you'll be relevant anymore in the real world.

Like I said earlier, I wanted to love esri, but in the end I was just bored. And the thought of staying there for 6 years seemed like torture.

Get some talented YOUNG managers to breathe some life back into esri (you'll need to pay them more than you're used to). This place just seems tired.

Bad Culture

I worked at Esri full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with, stable work, free health insurance. Looks ok on resume if you stay in field. Again, the thing I'll remember about esri is some of the people I was privileged to work with.

Cons

Management is hit-or-miss, with more misses than hits. People that work here know that they can't do anything else; they know it and the company knows it and it shows. That's the price for getting a degree in geography. Even though most of the people were pretty ok, I never saw many smiling faces. Everyone always seemed sad.

Retire

Going in the wrong direction.

Current Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits - medical, dental and vision. Decent 401K and paid holidays.
    There are still good, passionate people who want to make a difference working here.
    Paid by the hour, so if you work more, you get paid more.
    Most staff have individual offices which is nice.
    There is a great mix of cultures, folks from different countries.

Cons

Senior management has lost its way. CEO has lost touch with the staff especially software development. Software is lagging. People are afraid to confront the head of software development. Unable to bring in new creative programmers. Recently they demolished marketing. No one knows why. Lack of clear strategy and vision.
    Raises are small and even those who don’t work hard get raises. Difficult to move up unless you are part of the “boys club”
    Not great vacation benefits.

Do what is best for the clients and staff not yourselves. Build and open environment in software so staff can contribute in a healthy way. Hire a strong HR team to support staff.

Good company if your rank and file

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare is included
    Paid for the time you put in, not the revenue you bring in
    Nice people
    User conference

Cons

Big disconnect between sales and upper management
    Employees abuse the hourly pay - self reported time cards
    Not direct compensation based on performance
    Merit increases are minimal after 3-4 years regardless of performance
    Market share is dwindling as new offerings are being included in other enterprise technologies I.e. Mapping in BI systems and google plug ins

Reward your top performers
    Move sales away from hourly pay- this makes no sense and limits their marketability for sales roles after ESRI - by design I assume.

Great place for experienced professionals, not so great at developing people early in their careers.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Outstanding health care benefits.
    Lots of passionate GIS professionals who are really drive transformational change with the organizations they work with.
    Company culture is to support customers, at all levels. Not just lip service here. Sales plans are developed and executed to support organizations rather than just sell software.

Cons

Internal movement is difficult.
    The learning environment for new employees, or employees new in their careers varies dramatically depending on managers and pyramids.
    Work/Life balance is a significant issue. Travel is expected to be done after hours, weekend calls and meetings. Everyone paid by the hour. Competitive offers are based on 50 hour work weeks.

More positive than negative

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Privately owned so you don't deal with the typical pressures of a public company. Very creative, high energy environment. Ideal for self starters, passionate people. Mostly very flexible, agile and very customer focused.

Cons

CEO is a visionary but obsessed almost to a fault. Next tier leadership is territorial, always positioning, reactive, judgmental.

Learn to listen, lot of lip service about listening but it's clear the circle of valued input is shrinking ever smaller.

Right place if you want a laid back atmosphere from beginning of your career

Former Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Good perks and benefits
    -Flexible timings

Cons

-Not competitive compensation
    -Long interview process for a full time offer even if you were an intern in the same company

BAD Leadership

Current Employee - Software Architect in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The campus is alright, and so far the company is stable. This company will be going down the drain so fast once any layoff occurs because noone in their right mind would move to some garbage town in the middle of the desert away from any other career opportunities if the company weren't completely stable.

Cons

No growth no career advancement.
    The gym SUCKS.
    Developers are treated like scum.
    A tech company that doesn't want to be a tech company.
    Unwilling to pay industry standard salaries so can't attract top talent.
    Bad, unstable technology because tech leadership is weak.
    Hourly wages is not benefit when you limit the number of hours employees can work. Times get rough, and all the sudden employees can't even work 8 hours a day right?

Get a clue, to be a successful tech company you have to make successful technology. To pretend like we can continue to be successful with old unstable technology is a joke. Creating your first major WPF application 5 years after WPF enters end of life is a joke. Not being forward looking and investing in innovation is a joke. Continuing to hide information from your employees about how the company is run, and the company's vision is a joke.

Great company to start with. You will learn a lot.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Everybody gets an office. You can expect to work on challenging projects depending on group you work for. Schedule is flexible. It has research environment. Jewel of Inland Empire.

Cons

Nothing for this section. Great company in the middle of no where.