Esri Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Great people, low pay...

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Love the energy and enthusiasm of the people working at Esri, whether it be the regional offices or in Redlands.

Cons

Over the years, there is little to no real bumps in salary and has been known to hover merely at 1-3%, roughly on par with cost of living in some areas, but below cost of living yearly increases in major metropolitan cities. To stay competitive and retain smart staff,, Esri should consider a more robust compensation package.

2. Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Great people...Lots to learn. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Too many people! Hard to meet and memorize everybody's name!

Advice to Management

Not sure yet.

Jun 24, 2015 – Human Resources

Glad you're here for the summer! There are lots of intern events, and participating is a great way to meet fellow interns and get to know each other. Keep an eye out for emails asking for your ... More

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Forward looking technology Flexible working environment Paid for every hour worked Good corporate citizen Profit sharing

Cons

Decisions made by management without getting all the facts Little upward mobility Little positive encouragement

Advice to Management

Keep to core principles Do not allow one division to dominate Get the facts and not jump to conclusions

Jun 24, 2015 – Human Resources

First and foremost, thank you for your 10+ years with us! We agree that some of the best perks of working here are the flexibility and Esri's contributions to both our local community and the GIS ... More

Great place to start or end your career.

I worked at Esri

Pros

- Great work/life balance - Supportive coworkers - A solid, growing group of young employees - Training opportunities - Great networking opportunities - People are generally open and friendly - Not an overly competitive work environment For those of you who are fresh out of college, Esri is a great place to start your career. You meet a lot of young people through the internship program. Meet a few people, and it will quickly snowball into a pretty solid group of friends. I've met some of my closest friends during the two years I worked here. It's a good transition from college life to working life because Redlands feels like a college town (I guess it technically is because UofR is here). Esri is a great learning environment. While the work can be challenging at times, its not too cut throat. I loved working at Esri, and would definitely consider returning later in life.

Cons

- Salary is not competitive - Raises are consistent but small - Can feel a bit "corporate" at times. - They would not let me listen to spotify while I worked - Management was ok with working us till late before a release, but would complain about "long coffee breaks." - Manager micromanaged....a lot - May be team specific, but manager did not like cross team collaboration and did not support it - Team didn't have enough resources for scope of work - No room for vertical growth (aka, promotions) - Horizontal movement opportunities available, but difficult - Has job security, which is great! But results in a lot of "checked out" people who've been there for over 20 years - Lack of opportunity for vertical growth results in people just "checking out." But as a result, work environment is chill, not cut throat. - No perks - The entire company gets one bonus a year regardless of salary...which is like $100, $90 after taxes.... Merry Christmas! - Building M, where the developers work, get preferential treatment. Lounge rooms, sofas, pretty colors, newest coffee machines.... I think all of the photos on glassdoor are from M. The rest of us work in drab fishbowls, and the facilities were built in the 80s or something. Also, I think the photo of everyone playing foosball is....misleading. Where is that table...? Did they bring it in for the photo shoot? Ever since I've seen that photo I've been on a quest to find it. Never have.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for vertical growth, more employee perks, more competitive salary.

6. Product Engineer

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Esri is a great company and has grown a lot since the time that I joined 8 years ago. The president is passionate about the technology, the users and helping them be successful. Most of the teams are following the latest software development methodologies but some are lagging behind. The benefits are great and work/life balance is also nice.

Cons

It is hard to get yourself noticed and recognized unless you talk a lot!

May 21, 2015 – Human Resources

It’s great that your experience as an Esri employee has been a positive one. We hope you’ll continue to grow personally and with the company in the years ahead. Just a reminder that we have an active ... More

Behind the times...not very innovative.

I have been working at Esri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will feel smart due to the lack of technologies being used. Quiet old town. Free parking with cafe on site and post office nearby. New buildings and renovations, but can do without. Lack of mgmt. ownership with weird slow processes in place, if you go with the flow you won't get frustrated. Paid by the hour.

Cons

Too much micro-management, very low raises if any, no stocks, small benefits, management doesn't care how hard employees work, mgmt are not true managers and promoted through "old school boys" network. Hardly any minorities in management, especially women. No reward system for employees. Promotions seem to be based on length of time, not skill set. Network systems are so slow and outdated. If you work more than 10 hours, they ask you not to work that long, but they give more work with the same deadlines and resources....go figure, not possible.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees and reward them with better pay and benefits, not your management. Employees are working hard with tighter deadlines, more products, and less people. So or later people will be or are already burnt out and you will lose talented people.

Jul 2, 2015 – Human Resources

It concerns us that in the short amount of time you’ve been employed here, you’re having these frustrations. To address a few of your comments … employees and dependents receive full health benefits ... More

Solutions Engineer (Sales Engineer)

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Privately owned, which means we don't answer to the agenda of a board of directors - Zero-debt company since it's inception. Slow, but steady growth and never any job cutbacks - Great culture and friendly people - Relaxed work environment for most teams - Great benefits and valuable on-the-job training - Paid for 8 hours of travel time each trip, so you make money sitting on a plane - Exempt employee status for most employees, so flexible hours are a plus - Mentally stimulating and rewarding work - Very approachable upper management. You can drop by their offices any time and just chat.

Cons

- Very lateral company. If you need to be constantly rewarded with a new title every couple of years, then you need a job at a bigger corporation where everyone is a VP or Director of something. - Esri hardly ever fires people, which leads to some frustrating inefficiencies and questionable work ethics. - Ill-defined roles in some areas, which has a similar result to the previous bullet.

Advice to Management

The company is going through a big period of change; management needs to continue to adapt and change with it or they will be spinning their tires.

sales

Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people i've ever encountered. Passionate about customer success.

Cons

Some disconnect at upper levels due to ultra-flat organization structure.

Advice to Management

"Walk the halls" more. Leverage knowledge of some great people with closest contact to customers and prospects and "street cred"

May 4, 2015

Thank you for that advice, we are definitely looking to provide networking opportunities for employees at all levels. If you have any ideas please share them with your HR rep!

Run from this company

Current Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your definition of innovation is based on ideas from 10 years ago, this company is for you. Or you have zero expectations for career advancement then Esri is the right place. Or you just want to be treated like cattle, you've found your perfect job.

Cons

The emperor has no clothes sums up Esri. This company is so bloated with mediocre employees, it's almost hard to fathom for anyone who doesn't work here. Esri's software is beyond outdated and the founder is in some sort of denial that hurts the brain to hear the word "visionary" used to describe him. Esri has created an office park that they referred to as: "the campus". But unlike a real campus there are no new ideas happening here. In fact, there is no incentive to improve. No bonus, no rewards, no recognition for a job well done. There isn't even a free t-shirt given when you join, (you can buy one for $25 but first you have to share a room at the company conference if your manager approves you working at it). There is no joy working at Esri and once you get it, no other company wants anything to do with you.

Advice to Management

Management? The so called directors are just following direct orders from the founder. Do you honestly think these guys, (yes, they're all guys) could get a management job anywhere else? (if you answer yes... I've got some ArcGIS products to sell you!)

Good benefits, great technical support team, horrendously dated development philosophies.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No premium for medical coverage for the ENTIRE FAMILY. Technical support teams give great opportunities for growth and are a fantastic launching point for recent graduates. A wonderful campus and beautiful work environment, and generally good people, with a very minimal drama footprint.

Cons

Ridiculous territorialism between development teams stifles cross team communication. When coupled with dangerously outdated development philosophies employed by management staff, and the complete stagnation of movement within staff and management ranks, it can be an extremely frustrating experience trying to get anything new done which would benefit the company.

Advice to Management

Look at the value of process, QA, and behavior driven development. Try to about stifling ideas which conflict with "how it's always been done". Change isn't always bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed