Esri Reviews

Reset
3.1
Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Provides a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• great benefits --- essentially free healthcare (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path and no support from HR to find one (in 18 reviews)

• very limited personal career growth (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great organization with smart people.

Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The campus is beautiful and we have pretty good IT equipment. The holidays are good. Love the fact we get MLK day off. Not many companies recognize this as a holiday. Profit sharing is awesome. Change to vesting as schedule is nice for 401k and profit sharing. You are fully vested after 3 years used to 7 years which was ridiculous. Nice to see corporate can make some tough decisions and get rid of dead weight like in HR and Marketing. Hope there can be more decisions done in the future.

Cons

Wish we had more sick time. We only get 5 days. 2 weeks would be nice. Communication is getting better but needs to improve.

Corporate is too involved in daily things like promotions and some hiring decisions so things slow down because of this. Career path is ok. You have to make your own.

Would be nice if there was a budget for employee recognition activities. A lot of managers have to pay for this out of their own pockets. I feel bad as Esri isn't to competitive salary wise but if you have a good manager they recognize the importance and they do it. But would be nice if the company had a budget for this.

Merit increases are low. Expect 3% - 4%. To get large pay increases you have to get promoted or threaten to leave.

Advice to Management

Trust managers and employees.

May 18, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for recognizing our efforts towards improving communication and we will continue to work on this companywide. We are happy to hear your hard work is being recognized, and we're working ... More

2. GIS Desktop Support Analyst

Current Employee - GIS Desktop Support Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - GIS Desktop Support Analyst in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, Medical, Profit Share, Bank Hours

Cons

No daycare or pet care

3. Getting better all the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Esri (More than a year)

Pros

The company has gone though a number of reorganizations and changes in upper management, mostly for the better. Going above and beyond is very valued and rewarded.

Cons

The structure is still very flat, lateral moves are becoming more common, but the main leadership does not change year over year. While going above and beyond is rewarded, it many times becomes a expectation by management and few will progress without doing so.

Advice to Management

Don't just reward hard work, reward smart work.

Stable company making a good impact,

Former Employee - Manager in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, pretty campus, good benefits

Cons

dysfunctional management, lack of effective and consistant communication

Advice to Management

Hold all employees accountable

The truth about Esri - truly a warm and inviting dysfunctional family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To understand the situation at Esri, one must consider the companies’ history. The founders are well-meaning older couple with lighthearted souls. Their company has been around for decades and took off in the early days of software and steadily increased in size. They’ve dreamed big for their company — the headquarters nestled in a lush southern California location away from the hustle and bustle of big city life. They believe in work-life balance and employees should be paid for every hour of work. They’ve succeeded in their eyes and in the GIS community. Sound like a tech oasis? Let me convince you otherwise.

As an employee you'll receive a relatively modest income, good working environment, decent benefits but rarely any advancement. Even some of the best employees will not be promoted for 4 – 6 years. In the rare event that a position is "open", it will likely stay open and eventually someone will have to fill it – even if it means it's you and you know nothing about the position. Every team I know is severely understaffed.

The combination of Ersi’s modestly, insignificance in the tech world, and inability to attract talent due to wage and location means there will rarely be a time where someone is hired who can actually do the job well from the start. Management positions have often gone to people who’ve stuck around the longest, and far too many people are wearing too many hats, of course this includes management. You will be either micro-managed or under-managed and the later is most common.

It’s created very hush-hush environment in regards to internal practices and problems. This has resulted poor management, organization and it’s products. Yes, of course it affects the products everyone speaks so highly of. The CEO Jack unfortunately expects higher management to figure out the problems and vice-versa from higher management. Are problems solved this way? Nope.

Esri’s products in the GIS industry are unparalleled, but when compared to products of the larger tech industry, eh they are mediocre at best. We make a lot of poor to mediocre software….but we've been doing it the best in the GIS industry! This is because Esri relies on a lot of old technology. Technology which is in too big of a knot to be untangle. We continue tying pretty little bows on top of this knot until we receive enough complaints or threats. It’s then, and only then — can we begin to consider a fix. Most of the time the problem cannot be fixed without the right team and years of reworking all of the strings attached.

There are employees who actually care, those who disrupt their work-life balance to sort out all a lot of these problems but many of them grow resentful or drown their sorrows at the local bars just after noon on Fridays. These employees sometimes stick around longer than a few years, but more often than not leave and take other strong employees with them.

This creates a frustrating environment for the best employees. You will find an abundance of smart, easy-going, and barely trained "professionals" in every department. There are a few teams that are great, but the majority of them are entangled in the above problems.

All in all, if your standards are low or you like an easy-going job you'll really like Esri and stay forever. If you have high standards and expect everyone to do their job to the best of their ability, it’ll take you about 2 years to realize you want to leave but good luck getting hired elsewhere. It's truly warm and inviting dysfunctional family.

Cons

Sick time, vacation time, wage

Advice to Management

Goodluck

Jun 30, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. As Esri continues to grow we are aggressively hiring in all areas of the company, and encourage you to refer qualified candidates. We are ... More

7. Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Great people...Lots to learn. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Too many people! Hard to meet and memorize everybody's name!

Advice to Management

Not sure yet.

Jun 24, 2015Human Resources

Glad you're here for the summer! There are lots of intern events, and participating is a great way to meet fellow interns and get to know each other. Keep an eye out for emails asking for your ... More

Manager

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Forward looking technology
    Flexible working environment
    Paid for every hour worked
    Good corporate citizen
    Profit sharing

Cons

Decisions made by management without getting all the facts
    Little upward mobility
    Little positive encouragement

Advice to Management

Keep to core principles
    Do not allow one division to dominate
    Get the facts and not jump to conclusions

Jun 24, 2015Human Resources

First and foremost, thank you for your 10+ years with us! We agree that some of the best perks of working here are the flexibility and Esri's contributions to both our local community and the GIS ... More

Run from this company

Current Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Programmer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your definition of innovation is based on ideas from 10 years ago, this company is for you. Or you have zero expectations for career advancement then Esri is the right place. Or you just want to be treated like cattle, you've found your perfect job.

Cons

The emperor has no clothes sums up Esri. This company is so bloated with mediocre employees, it's almost hard to fathom for anyone who doesn't work here. Esri's software is beyond outdated and the founder is in some sort of denial that hurts the brain to hear the word "visionary" used to describe him. Esri has created an office park that they referred to as: "the campus". But unlike a real campus there are no new ideas happening here. In fact, there is no incentive to improve. No bonus, no rewards, no recognition for a job well done. There isn't even a free t-shirt given when you join, (you can buy one for $25 but first you have to share a room at the company conference if your manager approves you working at it). There is no joy working at Esri and once you get it, no other company wants anything to do with you.

Advice to Management

Management? The so called directors are just following direct orders from the founder. Do you honestly think these guys, (yes, they're all guys) could get a management job anywhere else? (if you answer yes... I've got some ArcGIS products to sell you!)

10. Manage a team of 8 developer evangelists

Current Employee - Manager, Developer Evangelism in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Developer Evangelism in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, salary is based on hours worked, casual dress code. Southern California weather.

Cons

On campus cafe is expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Good benefits, great technical support team, horrendously dated development philosophies.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No premium for medical coverage for the ENTIRE FAMILY. Technical support teams give great opportunities for growth and are a fantastic launching point for recent graduates. A wonderful campus and beautiful work environment, and generally good people, with a very minimal drama footprint.

Cons

Ridiculous territorialism between development teams stifles cross team communication. When coupled with dangerously outdated development philosophies employed by management staff, and the complete stagnation of movement within staff and management ranks, it can be an extremely frustrating experience trying to get anything new done which would benefit the company.

Advice to Management

Look at the value of process, QA, and behavior driven development. Try to about stifling ideas which conflict with "how it's always been done". Change isn't always bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed