Esri Reviews

• Riverside, CA Area
3.1
Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Great organization with smart people.

Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The campus is beautiful and we have pretty good IT equipment. The holidays are good. Love the fact we get MLK day off. Not many companies recognize this as a holiday. Profit sharing is awesome. Change to vesting as schedule is nice for 401k and profit sharing. You are fully vested after 3 years used to 7 years which was ridiculous. Nice to see corporate can make some tough decisions and get rid of dead weight like in HR and Marketing. Hope there can be more decisions done in the future.

Cons

Wish we had more sick time. We only get 5 days. 2 weeks would be nice. Communication is getting better but needs to improve.

Corporate is too involved in daily things like promotions and some hiring decisions so things slow down because of this. Career path is ok. You have to make your own.

Would be nice if there was a budget for employee recognition activities. A lot of managers have to pay for this out of their own pockets. I feel bad as Esri isn't to competitive salary wise but if you have a good manager they recognize the importance and they do it. But would be nice if the company had a budget for this.

Merit increases are low. Expect 3% - 4%. To get large pay increases you have to get promoted or threaten to leave.

Advice to Management

Trust managers and employees.

2. Manage a team of 8 developer evangelists

Current Employee - Manager, Developer Evangelism in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Developer Evangelism in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, salary is based on hours worked, casual dress code. Southern California weather.

Cons

On campus cafe is expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Good benefits, great technical support team, horrendously dated development philosophies.

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No premium for medical coverage for the ENTIRE FAMILY. Technical support teams give great opportunities for growth and are a fantastic launching point for recent graduates. A wonderful campus and beautiful work environment, and generally good people, with a very minimal drama footprint.

Cons

Ridiculous territorialism between development teams stifles cross team communication. When coupled with dangerously outdated development philosophies employed by management staff, and the complete stagnation of movement within staff and management ranks, it can be an extremely frustrating experience trying to get anything new done which would benefit the company.

Advice to Management

Look at the value of process, QA, and behavior driven development. Try to about stifling ideas which conflict with "how it's always been done". Change isn't always bad.

Find the right team for you.

Former Employee - Sales in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are really good.

Cons

Some teams can ruin your experience at Esri and don't align with the internal culture.

Advice to Management

Get more connected with the industries and business leaders to better understand what is relevant to them. Don't stay in the ordinary GIS comfort zones, and hold management at all levels as accountable as your staff.

Great for people wanting to do the same job until retirement.

Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, campus is very nature friendly. Esri does a lot of humanitarian things that help the environment, as well as great work with non-profits that help the world. Great offices, most have individual offices, vs. a cube.

Cons

Weird review process, very much "good old boys" network. Very few women in Senior Management. Lack of visibility into organization charts. Actually there are no org charts. Very silo'ed approach with Corporate.

Advice to Management

Promote women, offer greater opportunities to advance, get competitive with your salaries. Give people challenges so they don't get bored.

7. Good work/life balance, less job advancement

Former Employee - Software Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Software Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, low cost of living

Cons

Flat management, less job advancement

Good place to work in the Inland Empire

Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, good people, and it's the only big software company in the Inland Empire

Cons

Changes are constantly happening in some departments that make it difficult and rather discouraging at times.

Advice to Management

The rock star workers quickly are noticed, don't just reward good work with more work...think promotions, payment increases.

Great company, with room for improvement.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Redlands is a cute town with a growing hip culture, good for families. Flexible hours. Good coworkers. Good health benefits. The technology holds much promise. Definitely recommend the company for people with families.

Cons

Middle to upper management has some very weak members that cause serious damage to products and morale. In some areas this has been addressed, but not in other areas. More market metrics would be useful to show which products and development managers are effective or ineffective. The organization is still very development-driven and not customer-centric when it comes to creating useful/usable products and delivering good service. It seems to be resting on its laurels, which it will be able to do for a while, but it is sad to see. The owner is very customer-centric, and so are most staff, but there are a few bad apples in upper management who are more concerned about themselves (and their egos) rather than customers or the competition.

Advice to Management

Don't be fooled by members upper management who talk big, but never deliver. Interview their staff and look at why people on their teams have left the company at higher rates. Then reassign them to non-management positions.

Management from the very top (Jack & Laura) could care less about thier employees.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri

Pros

Beautiful campus, stellar benefits, job security (if you want to stay).

Cons

Management at Esri has no problem being negative towards employees. You will rarely see accolades being handed out. They (managenent) are quick to point out negatives with very little encouragement and accolades for a job well done.
    Management from the very top down has the mind set of how much you can do for Esri, never what can Esri do to make our company a more employee friendly company.
    In the 10 years I worked for Esri I saw very little employee advancements. Hope you like whatever you were hired in to do because that is what you will be stuck in until you get tired of it and quit. I have been working for 35 years. I have never worked for a company (except for Esri) that has not advanced me to higher levels in the company. When I approached my manager in one of my reviews, what could I do to advance in the company she told me there was no advancement in the company for an admin assistant. My mindset became why work my butt off if there is no room for advancement. I saw employees obtain their MBA's and management continued to hold them back and not advance them. 90% of the time Esri will hire from the outside before they will advance a current employee. Employees are not groomed for advancement.
    Esri is not pro families. They host no functions that would include employees and thier families. They don't do any functions through the year for the employees. These are the things that help employee moral. The companies mindset is the employee should be exceedingly overjoyed just for working at Esri that the company doesn't need to do a darn thing to show appreciation to thier employee's. Top management just doesn't get that part.
    Communication does not happen at Esri. Things I needed to do my job, was like pulling teeth to get information. Esri is so "team" oriented yet communion is not there.
    So, to summarize, if you are thinking of going to work for Esri and you manage to get through thier growling interview process, go in with the mindset that Esri will only be your springboard to go out and find your dream job with a company that shows they truly care about thier employee's.

Advice to Management

Start doing things to show appreciation to your employees.
    Start programs that allow employee's to advance thier careers instead of keeping them stalemated.

11. good company to work forever

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flex time, relaxed environment,job security

Cons

low hourly pay, no stock options, fewer vacation days than industry standard