Esri Reviews

Rewarding Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

The people are incredible to work with and our benefits are excellent - not only for employees but spouses and families as well.
    Our software really allows people to make a positive difference and that is a rewarding feeling.
    Redlands is a great town that is very family oriented and away from the "rat race".

Cons

Being a campus of a couple thousand people I understand that it is difficult to have large scale interactions...that being said, there are little to no opportunities for employees (who move to Redlands from around the world) with similar interests -- both personally and professionally-- to network.

Continue strongly pushing for communication to be more transparent throughout the entire company and support
    forums that allow employees to engage internally.

Jan 20, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are working on an initiative that will allow employees to network with each other in an open, fun environment. This will be a great way for ... More

2. Good work/life balance, less job advancement

Former Employee - Software Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Software Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, low cost of living

Cons

Flat management, less job advancement

Great for people wanting to do the same job until retirement.

Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Contracts Administrator in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, campus is very nature friendly. Esri does a lot of humanitarian things that help the environment, as well as great work with non-profits that help the world. Great offices, most have individual offices, vs. a cube.

Cons

Weird review process, very much "good old boys" network. Very few women in Senior Management. Lack of visibility into organization charts. Actually there are no org charts. Very silo'ed approach with Corporate.

Promote women, offer greater opportunities to advance, get competitive with your salaries. Give people challenges so they don't get bored.

5. Good place to work in the Inland Empire

Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, good people, and it's the only big software company in the Inland Empire

Cons

Changes are constantly happening in some departments that make it difficult and rather discouraging at times.

The rock star workers quickly are noticed, don't just reward good work with more work...think promotions, payment increases.

Great company, with room for improvement.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Redlands is a cute town with a growing hip culture, good for families. Flexible hours. Good coworkers. Good health benefits. The technology holds much promise. Definitely recommend the company for people with families.

Cons

Middle to upper management has some very weak members that cause serious damage to products and morale. In some areas this has been addressed, but not in other areas. More market metrics would be useful to show which products and development managers are effective or ineffective. The organization is still very development-driven and not customer-centric when it comes to creating useful/usable products and delivering good service. It seems to be resting on its laurels, which it will be able to do for a while, but it is sad to see. The owner is very customer-centric, and so are most staff, but there are a few bad apples in upper management who are more concerned about themselves (and their egos) rather than customers or the competition.

Don't be fooled by members upper management who talk big, but never deliver. Interview their staff and look at why people on their teams have left the company at higher rates. Then reassign them to non-management positions.

Management from the very top (Jack & Laura) could care less about thier employees.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri

Pros

Beautiful campus, stellar benefits, job security (if you want to stay).

Cons

Management at Esri has no problem being negative towards employees. You will rarely see accolades being handed out. They (managenent) are quick to point out negatives with very little encouragement and accolades for a job well done.
    Management from the very top down has the mind set of how much you can do for Esri, never what can Esri do to make our company a more employee friendly company.
    In the 10 years I worked for Esri I saw very little employee advancements. Hope you like whatever you were hired in to do because that is what you will be stuck in until you get tired of it and quit. I have been working for 35 years. I have never worked for a company (except for Esri) that has not advanced me to higher levels in the company. When I approached my manager in one of my reviews, what could I do to advance in the company she told me there was no advancement in the company for an admin assistant. My mindset became why work my butt off if there is no room for advancement. I saw employees obtain their MBA's and management continued to hold them back and not advance them. 90% of the time Esri will hire from the outside before they will advance a current employee. Employees are not groomed for advancement.
    Esri is not pro families. They host no functions that would include employees and thier families. They don't do any functions through the year for the employees. These are the things that help employee moral. The companies mindset is the employee should be exceedingly overjoyed just for working at Esri that the company doesn't need to do a darn thing to show appreciation to thier employee's. Top management just doesn't get that part.
    Communication does not happen at Esri. Things I needed to do my job, was like pulling teeth to get information. Esri is so "team" oriented yet communion is not there.
    So, to summarize, if you are thinking of going to work for Esri and you manage to get through thier growling interview process, go in with the mindset that Esri will only be your springboard to go out and find your dream job with a company that shows they truly care about thier employee's.

Start doing things to show appreciation to your employees.
    Start programs that allow employee's to advance thier careers instead of keeping them stalemated.

8. good company to work forever

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flex time, relaxed environment,job security

Cons

low hourly pay, no stock options, fewer vacation days than industry standard

Very nice place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager/Consultant in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Consultant in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Excellent coworkers, customer oriented work is very interesting and you can learn a lot when the opportunity comes by.

Cons

Average pay, not a whole lot of upward mobility, management not geared towards supporting younger generation trends or growth

Need more dynamic young blood

Jan 28, 2015

We agree that part of what makes Esri a great place to work is interacting with incredible organizations and seeing how they’re using our technology. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are ... More

Great Place to End Your Career

Current Employee - Account Manager in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

-Great Technology for Power Users and Business Partners
    -Great Benefits
    -Financially Stable
    -Internal Travel Agency
    -Training Opportunities (software and professional)
    -No real expectations for outstanding performance

Cons

-Pay is 20-40 percent below market for similar positions. Stay here too long and people wonder if you are crazy.
    -Hourly pay is abused by so many, particularly senior staff. No accountability
    -Account Managers are treated like outside sales, but there are no commissions or bonuses
    -Annual raises are around 2%.
    -Incentive to get things done quickly is not there; no sense of urgency
    -There are zero opportunities for advancement. You are pigeon holed the day you are hired.
    -Company lacks a long term business strategy and vision.
    -Most senior leaders came from government and lack the business knowledge (not responsible for profit/loss) to grow the company. Serious leadership issues.

-Transition to a salary based pay structure.
    -Adjust pay accordingly
    -Bring in new senior talent with real world business experience that know how to build organizations
    -Look at incentive pay options, even if it means reducing company contributions. Reward those that produce.
    -Push down profit and loss to individual industry managers; make them accountable!
    -Promote those that produce/eliminate those that don't

Esri is losing market share daily as a result of a senior management team that lacks the vision and abilities to take it to the next level. It is truly sad to watch. If Jack had a competent management team below him, he wouldn't have to make all of the decisions. And unfortunately, not all of Jack's decisions are correct, but those below him would never tell him. They are just waiting him out until they retire.

A Slammed Foot in the Door

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri

Pros

The ever-expanding campus is kept relatively environmentally friendly and natural looking. Pretty good benefits (if you are full time). World renowned GIS software company in a little rural community. A comfortable place to work if you enjoy a very structured 8-5, low growth, same-old, same-old and no challenge.

Cons

First, DO NOT go in as a contracted employee! Your foot in the door...no such thing! The company is perpetually listing new job positions; however, if you keep your on eye on them, they also never hire for them. Looks great on paper, but the reality is more of a silent hire freeze. The company strongly emphasizes education, which is excellent; however, they fail to recognize knowledge or common sense. This creates a very resentful work atmosphere when you have individuals who have a "degree" but know nothing about business practices, organization or basic technology supervising individuals that have extensive work experience and knowledge to offer but are continuously blown off for lack of a degree. As a contracted employee, you will be treated as inferior. Put a lot of work and thought in to projects and day to day work only to have my contract terminated after over a year. Don't expect to take a sick day, an extra long lunch (approved by management) to go to your child's award ceremony or get tied up in a traffic delay; it will be held against you as a contracted employee...even after being contracted for over a year. Executive management has their priorities backwards and the employees pay for it, but don't get paid for it....but they'll remind you that your health insurance is completely paid for...if that's all you want out of a job, this would be a great place!

Down play the micro-management. Pay attention to the employees that are actually doing the work, not the ones that pretend to do the work. For a technology giant, the internal technology is almost embarrassing; Instead of building giant beautiful buildings, upgrade what already exists. Encourage departments with tools to improve their technology and work processes; support change.

Jan 28, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate your experience here. As a growing technology company, we often have multiple openings for the same position. To avoid confusion to applicants, we do not ... More