Essence Photo & Video Reviews

1 Rating

1. I worked there for 5 years

Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Essence Photo & Video part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are family owned and are very nice to work with

Cons

they train and expect a lot to make the bride happy

Advice to Management

charge more money cause we bust our ass in the field. I feel the wedding day guide have a lot of info for a photographer that we really don't need to no. Example send bride a big guide then send us what we need to no. I realize that brides don't understand how much work it is to shoot a wedding but wish there was a way to get them to understand that 15min for picks just don't work if you want pj. I guess that's why i worked for them cause there are always problems with people in any biz.

2. Good place to shoot weddings

Former Contractor - Wedding Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Wedding Photographer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Essence Photo & Video as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of work, as photographer shot over 30 weddings a year for 4 years until I had to move to Dallas, pay was always on time, pay by the day not the hour which I liked. Very fun people to work with but yet had zero tolerance for sloppy work and mistakes which is vital in the wedding industry - it's someone's wedding after all! Very low turnover so you got to know and work with a very experience bunch of photographers. Company does only weddings so has lots of good techniques.

Cons

The place had hardly any turnover but if a photographer got "burned out" they were asked to leave right away, leaving some hard feelings in a couple of cases but I was more on Essence side casue again it is someone's wedding we are talking about.
    Another thing that was bad but important to do is they asked the photographers to catalog, organize and edit their photos before turning in which some photographers might think is busy work.

Advice to Management

I miss you guys. Give seminars to other companies on how to run a wedding business cause I can't find a company like yours in the Dallas area where I live now!

3. Not a good company

Former Employee - Videographer/Editor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Videographer/Editor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Essence Photo & Video

Pros

Technically in my field I went to college for. Pay can be ok if you're willing to put in extra work.

Cons

Dishonest people overall. Are constantly looking for ways to replace you with an intern or someone extremely cheaper. No benefits, very little pay. Not a very good place to work for will take advantage of you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employers better. Listen to their ideas.

5. Satisfactory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Essence Photo & Video

Pros

The people at Essence are great to work with and be around. They provide superior customer service and strive to ensure customers are satisfied and receive a quality product.

Cons

There is no level for monetary growth. Unless you are a manager, pay is hourly and minimum wage. Great company to gain experience, but not to stay at in the long run.

Advice to Management

Offer employees a chance to grow within the company. The company is wonderful, but the employees need to be appreciated more.