Essex Corporate

Robert Echols

Decent place to work

Former Employee - Associate in Cookeville, TN
    Former Employee - Associate in Cookeville, TN

I worked at Essex Corporate part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hourly associates start at $8/hour

Cons

Management could have handled situations better.

Don't Ever Have The Displeasure of Working Here

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Essex Corporate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pros that I can consider are the availability of a family oriented atmosphere by lower ranking workers within the company. This does not include any managers or higher ups

Cons

Everything first and fore most extremely prejudice in treatment of staff there are no raises nor praises for exceeding expectations and working hard. All of the managers are offered bonuses when the stores are having increased quarterly revenue but the person who is on the floor face to face greeting customers and helping are not disregarded in the mentioning of a pay increase but are reprimanded if sales are not phenomenal.

Reevaluate who the company decides to run districts and stores and consider providing yearly evaluations that may consider raises. Also hold not only those who are on the sales floor accountable for failure in sales increase but also the district and store managers. And finally promote diversity among higher managerial ranks, thus increasing the motivation of workers who can then see that they may have a chance of becoming a manager or third key with hard work and consistency

MIT, no, wait, Store manager, no wait....MIT/Special projects manager.....no wait, former employee

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Essex Corporate

Pros

I met some very enthusiastic, talented people who were all trying to hang on until the company figured out what they were doing and landed on ANY across the board policy.....

Cons

The aforementioned issue with policy. Wrong numbers on ALL reports. I worked for the company for 14 months and never got a solid answer on pricing or when/how the POS system was going to stop having grievous errors (which is ultimately cost me my job). This company can't pull up an accurate BOH (balance on hand) on 98% of the merchandise in any of their stores and has never done a full inventory with the exception of one "deal code" for show more than anything. That specific deal code accounts for less than 1% of the inventory in any given store. If you need to look up a price for a customer it's humiliating because you have to Google it-you can only find it in the system through some sort of wizardry or by osmosis and then it will almost always say that you don't have any of the product you're holding in your hand. Stores are required to do a nightly T.V. inventory to try to "match" a report in the system that has NEVER been correct (I witnessed the inaccuracies at multiple stores). Where/how can they hold a Store Manager accountable for a number that is constantly changing depending on the day and the person you speak with.

Yes, I am a former employee. I am not perfect and i would never burn a bridge, however, this bridge was deconstructed one glaring inaccuracy at a time by Senior Staff and gross mishandling by an I.T. department that does not have one person with any retail experience working in it....."hey guys, when are we going to be looking at how to get our BOH issues resolved? What's a BOH?" They are trying as hard as the rest of the loyal employees to figure it out but sooner or later it just exhausts you.

Someone needs to listen to Phil and quit negating his words of wisdom and treating him like he's the nutty professor. He's got decades of business acumen. Perhaps someone should avail themselves of his experience and cease the unprofessional way in which he's treated while they continue to take his money to fund a company that's sure to go under.

Essex is an outstanding company

Former Employee - District Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - District Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Essex Corporate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom and growth opportunity are two great options the company offers. The team also has great leadership

Cons

None to speak of at this time. I commend the team on their efforts to grow the business.

Continue to grow and succeed through your teams

Heading south fast .....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Essex Corporate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced. Different type of retail. Used to have great product. I've learned a great deal.

Cons

Constant management change. Thought company was going in right direction but now seems to be headed south. Had a great leader but now they've changed again and everyone seems lost now. No fun anymore. Good place to learn and then move on. Prob will not be in business in 5 years the way it's going now. Really poor pay.

LOVE CHANGES

Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Essex Corporate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff are normally really cool and the hours where not as bad as i have seen

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE, prices are made up on the spot, the have us change the dates then lie about it, the have no hard policy for prices, they are unloyal, its a dowhill ride

I used to enjoy this company but ethics have changed when we started changing dates, every store does things differently then the upper get mad that customers are treated differently. my advice is to find a policy and stick to it for every store the constant changes are stupid and counter productive

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Cashier in Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Essex Corporate part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment !
    Flexible work schedule!

Cons

A bit dirty
    hours shoot down during off season

currently nothing on mind