Essex County Council

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Essex County Council Chief Executive Joanna Killian

Joanna Killian

Working towards improvement

Team Manager (Current Employee) Basildon, East of England, England (UK)

ProsShared vision, focused on outcomes, clear and effective strategic planning, great development opportunities and good package offered

Conseffective Communication is at times lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on direct employee consultation and feed back, improve on planning and co ordination

Interesting work but stressful environment.

Corporate PA (Former Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility in work, learning and development opportunities, good networking events and opportunities

ConsPoor motivation with employees as leadership is not consistent across the board, vision not clear at all levels. Change in culture not embraced by some employees which makes it a difficult and less desirable company environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management should be held responsible and accountable. More opportunities, rewards for deserving employees, not only restricted to those already earning huge salaries . Performance should be consistently monitored and effective communication all levels, promote cultural awareness.

The worst led organization I have ever experienced: shocking incompetence. Saving grace: some talented individuals.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsColleagues can be ok depending where you sit. Salaries are high. Good pension. Occasionally does the right thing and often works in interesting areas.

ConsVery badly led. Invisible cowardly senior managers who care only about their empires and not the public good or even their own staff. Lots of clock watchers who care only their wage. Generally just very poor blame based culture full of plots and lack of clear purpose. Waste money continuously and the worst performing chief executive I have ever known. Also very unstable, turbulent organization. They reorganize and restructure once every 8-12 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real and get out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There's a lot of change happening at ECC, but it's change for the good.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsECC is working hard to shed it's local authority restrictions. Whilsty it makes for a tough place to work at times, the changes are positive and will lead to a much more dynamic environment in the future. Whilst togin theough this, there uis a fantyastic sense of support amongst my team and others that I work with which epitonises this environment.

ConsWhilst the change is happening, there will continue to be some uncertainty, which is understandable. Whilst salaries are exopected to stay at their current level, they are actually set at hiogher than most other local authorities, so remain competitive.

positive and negative aspects, lack of career progression.

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours that are good for those with families or those who commute
    On site gym and classes if you're at the Chelmsford site

ConsLack of opportunities to progress or take on more responsibility
    Minimal training opportunities
    The workforce is not very diverse, but probably reflects the Essex population

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the organisational structure less flat, giving more responsibility to those who deserve it and differentiate responsibility in job titles.

"disorganised and reactive"

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

Pros9 to 5 (9.30 till 4 on a Friday)
    Very nice people
    Feeling you are doing soemthing for the community

ConsAlways reactive
    Double standards on spend
    Temp Senior mgmt
    Too much say from inexperinced councillors
    Short sighted political strategy with hamstrings projects

Advice to Senior ManagementGet pratical dedicated long term management in place to stabilse and then move forward with real cost effective solutions that matter

Worked for Essex County Council? Contribute to the Community!