Essex Property Trust Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Michael Schall

Pros
  • If you are in maintenance they try to work around needs you may have within the on-call schedule (in 4 reviews)

• They usually keep their properties for a long time and there are many long term employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No one listens or wants your input (in 3 reviews)

• properties don't meet expectations (in 8 reviews)

Stable and good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granada Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granada Hills, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid business strategy and good benefits.

Cons

A very traditional work environment.

Overall a positive experience. Know when it's time to move on though.

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is growing - acquiring properties constantly. 401k is a 50% employer match. Coworkers are friendly and have a "team" mentality. Annual company picnic and awards ceremony. Annual bonus awarded to individuals that met performance expectations.

Cons

As the company grows larger, upper management has gotten more disconnected from employees in Ops. Doesn't invest in IS/IT support to support the Ops department and clients. Training department is weak. Tendency to utilize webinars instead of classroom forum for implementing new programs. Medical insurance options are horrible.

Advice to Management

Fix what is broken before acquiring more properties we don't have the resources to support.

3. LOVE THIS COMPANY!

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay if you know how to negotiate, They believe in promoting from within if you truly apply yourself, and upper management communicates as well as one could expect for such a large and productive company.

Cons

Communication break down from on-site team to upper management from time to time and new programs (software or policies) aren't implemented very well. Also, they changed their time off policies which really seem unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Frequent onsite visits and conversation with the onsite team (not just the property manager) really would benefit the company greatly.

5. Strong Company that is getting stronger

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work culture and atmosphere -Much room for growth -

Cons

Not too many cons about this company

The good and the bad

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Health Care. The company itself is amazing. I love my awards and my pay.

Cons

Poor Management. Overworked. Left alone at property often.Manager was gone 90% of the time.

Advice to Management

District Managers should visit the property's more often.

7. Strong Leadership - Evolving Systems

Former Employee - Division Manager, C&MS in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Division Manager, C&MS in Irvine, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well placed assets within their target markets. Most of the senior management is experienced, fair, and insightful. Good overall experience with the company and I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Not many. I came into the company at a difficult time with some significant changes in the senior management which made it challenging, but must say that the reorganization was a function of needed changes and tremendous growth. There is a tendency within the leadership to allow "management encroachment" into other operational disciplines where some of the senior management is less experienced (e.g., non-REIT fund management oversight of Capital and Maintenance), and that encroachment was the reason for my decision to leave the company. It was unfortunate, because I really enjoyed working with the team there. Good assets, good people, and I expect that eventually, there will be better defined organizational roles and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Analyze the specific operational channels and the leaders responsible for oversight of each area and make the necessary changes to ensure that the people you hire to conduct specific activities are allowed to do what they need to do without limitation. Companies often play "follow the leader" when it comes to strategic employment of resources, and there exists within this company a desire to "eliminate silos", I believe there are advantages and disadvantages to that philosophy and recommend that the executive team really take the time to understand the operational impacts.

I work as an assistant manager at an apartment complex

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

The company provides a lot of corporate support to ensure that its employees are able to succeed in their positions. The company shows that it values its employees through great benefits (ie medical, 401k, dry cleaning/milage/rent allowances, ETO)

Cons

Salaries are generous for the property management industry, but overall this is an underpaid industry.

Advice to Management

Upper management is great, I love this company. However, the company (and industry as a whole) would benefit from a more skilled/educated workforce, but they are unable to offer the wages to obtain that kind of quality.

it's okay to start, but not for a long time

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good training programs friendly maintenance staff overrall

Cons

alot of politics in higher management. change the commission system against the employees

RSS Feed </> Embed