Essex Property Trust

2.5

Michael Schall

Great company

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

Great culture from all employees

Cons

None I can think of for myself

Stability and opportunity, but overloaded by policies and procedures.

Current Employee - Property Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career opportunities are plenty and company is stable. They usually keep their properties for a long time and there are many long term employees. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Recently the company has grown too big too fast and employees are burdened with constant changing policies and a constant breakdown in software and technology systems. Perfection is often expected from it's employees, who often are not given the tools to succeed. Managers are given all the responsibility, but none of the authority to make decisions.

They really need to focus on support and training of onsite staff. Having corporate and upper management with onsite experience would be the most helpful to them in making decisions and policies that affect staff.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cares for Employees, good work/life balance, pay is good for industry, benefits are good. If you are in maintenance they try to work around needs you may have within the on-call schedule.

Cons

No employee stock purchase program, other than that no real complaints about the company. They may be a little slow to promote some people, while others get promoted more quickly with similar experience and skill levels.

Implement Employee Stock Purchase Program

Wow!

I worked at Essex Property Trust

Pros

The benefits are competitive. Changes pending, perhaps for the better. Mike Schall and some executive members seem to have good intentions, but are plagued by by the issues addressed below. There are definitely lots of job openings and room for advancement.

Cons

No integrity. They low ball and play games with their employees that really just makes me sick. Hard work and honesty are mistaken for stupidity. Kindness is a weakness to these people. They will expect 10 hours of work to be completed in 4 and will bully you into working off the clock and not taking breaks, but punish you for it just so they look legit. You have to ask them for overtime like their doing you a big favor or else suffer the consequences of not completing you massive workload by the deadline. You can't win. Don't worry, someone else will get credit for it though. They will not even know what you do. It isn't a merit based system, but a buddy system. This is the sort of place where you leave work, but can't shake the stress when you're off because the atmosphere there is so toxic. No one respects each other here. They came very unprepared for the merger with BRE. I really hope that one day the snakes at this company either change for the better or get the karma they deserve. I wish I had nicer things to say about this place, but honesty is more important.

Try hiring competent middle management that has integrity. Not just managers who steal credit to make themselves look good and throw their subordinates under the bus for things that the manager should be owning responsibility. I'm shocked this company even got 2.5 stars. Showing a little appreciation would do wonders. Anyone who's worth employing will see this place for the greedy dishonest hole that it is and leave in no time. The despicable types will stay because they benefit here. Management ought to pay attention to what going on and consider conducting investigations. That being said, there may be hope for Essex to become a better place to work. Certainly lots of room for improvement.

Do not work here unless you have no self worth

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None...don't work here if you value your sanity.

Cons

I have multiple degrees, but because I don't fit a certain "look", I've been passed up for promotions many times. My property outperforms other properties financially, and I have assisted other communities when there were position vacancies. However, my efforts were not rewarded financially or even with a 'Thank You'.

The leasing staff is severely underpaid and the Essex bonus program is a joke compared to its competitors. My regional manager is obviously responsible for multiple communities, which prevents him/her from being able to visit every property weekly. However, my manager hasn't visited my property in 3 months. This means he/she doesn't know what is going on at the community, and he/she doesn't have a pulse on what's needed for the community. It's extremely difficult to get support to hire staff, which leaves a heavier burden on current staff to do more work with no additional pay.

Take a hard look at your regional managers. They are the conduit between management policy and the frontline staff. Policies are not being explained, they are not communicated and they are not being completed because the regional managers do not do their jobs effectively. It's a crucial line of management that really needs top-performing staff, yet my experience has been that regional managers are promoted into those positions because of how they look or because of who they know. It's not based on performance or merit...AT ALL.

A piece of advice to the Executive Team: Negativity breeds negativity. Your frontline staff is tired of being slapped in the face instead of being patted on the back or thanked for all the hard work we do to increase shareholder value.

Underpaid and overworked.

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with.

Cons

Lack of training, no clear leadership, false promises of salary raise and promotion

It seems like management has forgotten the fundamentals of their business. The lively hood of all property management and holding companies in the multi family housing business is their apartment complexes. A higher focus on training for the individuals that work on site at your apartment complexes would be beneficial.

An organization with no organization

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

Unfortunately I cannot really think of any pros for this company.

Cons

Worst company I have worked for. Very unorganized and cannot keep policies straight. Things change on a daily basis and no one talks to anyone or knows who anyone is.

Get rid of some of your mid management people and some of the people that were promoted after the merge with Bre Properties, they're blowing smoke.

Love working here!

Current Employee - Property Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. Company recognizes employees that are dedicated. A lot of room to grow and company promotes you quick.

Cons

It's not really a con, since current changes are due to the recent merger, which is unavoidable. In fact, the company is handling changes really well.

I would invest more in financial training of company PM's.

Big changes to come

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

great options for growth if you do your job well know the right people. Good work/life balance as long as you don't live onsite.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower end across property management for many positions with caps for office/maintenance positions. Unmotivated commission structure

You will be treated like pond scum!

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer benefits. There are alot of employees that will feel the same way as you will. There is very little pros about this company.

Cons

They do not give competitive wages. You will be overlooked for raises and will constantly be reminded how much money they are making but they won't share it with you. They do not provide training! They like to hire managers who don't want to work and could care less about their properties. The little people work the hardest but corporate doesn't care enough to research it for themselves because they are money hungry and forgot it's the little people who make the difference. If you complain about your mistreatment everyone will know about it and it will be turned against you. They are losing employees left and right because they do not value them at all and don't try and keep them either or find out why thet are leaving.

Stop hiring people to waste our time checking on the leasing staff to see if we are our jobs. You are not looking in the right direction. Care more about your residents instead of just taking their money. Seriously consider restructuring your customer service skills they need drastic improvement. Management needs training on customer service and how to treat their staff. Give raises and not just to those who blow roses up your tushies. Those are the ones you should be watching! Do site visits and personally interview your staff all of them without retaliation. You will get the answers you need. No one wants to do a confidential servey online where IP addresses show who you are. How dumb do you think we are!!!