Essex Property Trust

Michael Schall

LOVE THIS COMPANY!

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay if you know how to negotiate, They believe in promoting from within if you truly apply yourself, and upper management communicates as well as one could expect for such a large and productive company.

Cons

Communication break down from on-site team to upper management from time to time and new programs (software or policies) aren't implemented very well. Also, they changed their time off policies which really seem unreasonable.

Frequent onsite visits and conversation with the onsite team (not just the property manager) really would benefit the company greatly.

Make sure your onsite management knows their processes

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I worked at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Beautiful properties that they don't hesitate to spend money on.
    Centrally located.
    Lots of properties so a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Unorganized property processes. For a company this big, the directive needs to be clear and consistent. My training was lackluster because my manager was lackluster. She did not know company processes, and as a relatively new employee I struggled to get reliable, consistent information. I was told to reach out to strangers, other managers, most not in my region, to find answers to my questions; but if you know what it is to be a manager, you know sometimes, you just don't have time to answer other people's questions so the dynamic of me having to find answers to pertinent, legal based questions through harassing other people was awkward to me.
    The company is not focussed on the dynamics onsite, which leads to a different experience from property to property.
    I was unable, due to the strange and overly competitive dynamic onsite, to rely on my subordinates to execute delegated tasks reliably. This is an important aspect of property management in my opinion; teamwork.
    I was terminated when they were fully aware I had no appropriate training, due to the fact that the pm who hired me went out on maternity leave less than two weeks after I started (I wasn't aware she was pregnant and would've stayed at the A+ property I was at prior to working for Essex if I wouldve known I was walking into a shaky management situation) and the woman they decided to place as temp PM did not have any idea of what she was doing- she couldn't/wouldn't post money, create notices or speak to residents and the staff onsite and residents truly disliked her. It is unfortunate, because I recognise I would have been an asset to the company if I would have worked with my original manager or have received the proper training.

Focus on your onsite dynamics.
    Make sure you train your new management appropriately on processes specific to their job. There was lots of leasing training, which was mandatory even though I was fully competent at leasing, but no formal management training for management.

Senior Management developer

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Very great development team.

Cons

Nothing, this is a really place

Rewarding Chaotic Challenge

Current Employee - Cant Say in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cant Say in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Corporate Salary is competitive
    Recognition
    Good Benefits
    Flexibiity

Cons

Disgruntled staff
    Harried Execs
    Disorganized and messy offices

Develop your Corporate Culture
    Transparency

A Big Company that Shafts its Employees

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust

Pros

BRE alum, BRE property managers

Cons

Essex property managers, Essex new hires, Essex itself

I am glad to have read that others are having issues with the Essex/BRE merger. BRE was good to their employees. At my property, BRE employees had been working at the company for over 8 years without any write-ups or company issues. As soon as an Essex property manager was placed there, all BRE employees, including myself were written up. One BRE alum was fired within a month and I was let go right before the holidays. The others have two strikes against them and are trying to find new jobs before their termination. Thank you for timing my termination so perfectly Essex so I wouldn't get a holiday bonus, along with having my health insurance end the day directly after my termination. Hmmmm, planned maybe? Also funny how my final check had a date signed 5 days before my termination.

Essex, you should have kept the BRE alum. If the few new hires I worked with before I was let go are an indication of YOUR choice in employees, I am going to happily watch my old property fall apart. The two new hires at my old property had already broken many rules that would have had them fired at BRE. While I was working still, the Essex property manager placed blame on me, but I no longer am there to be the scapegoat. See ya Essex! You should be more like BRE.

Poor ledership

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are vey good. Low out of pocket costs.

Cons

No good leadership. Too much power given to 1 individual that does not have good people skills,

Share the power; just like your stocks you need to diversify.

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Property Accounting Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Property Accounting Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned alot and was promoated.

Cons

Salaries weren't competitive with other companies in area, so turnover was high.

Huge corporation lacking culture and low commission structure

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Just to be clear, I was a BRE Properties employee who was acquired by Essex through the merger. I only 1 stayed for 1 month and left right away once I saw how the new commission structure affected me. Here were some of my pros:

Great rental discounts, especially if you are the on-call person that receives the pre-tax discount
    3 weeks of vacation once you have worked there for 4 years
    Great ex-BRE employees that will hopefully foster a better culture

Cons

Comission structure for leasing specialists was terrible. Cut my normall commission by at least 60%.
    Just like in any leasing position, you don't get weekends off. Some properties have Sunday and another split day off.
    Work-life balance is decent in that you don't have to take work home
    Hard to take time off when you work in a small office
    Feels like a big corporation and lacking likeable leaders

My manager and regional manager were great! They did come from BRE Properties and really cared about our well being and oppurtunities. The company definitely needs to look into changing the commission structure if they want talented people to work for them. Otherwise, you will be living in poverty and not be able to afford to live at the property that you work at.

Property accountant

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Property Accountant in Woodland, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly. They will try to you if you have any problems.

Cons

They prefer male than female. If you are male, you will get promotion very quick. If you are female, it will take forever to get promotion.

Please give more bonus to the working hard employee.

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

none at the moment which is sad

Cons

they do not care about you. no support