Essex Property Trust Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
47 reviews filtered by
2.6
Michael Schall

1. Good company, mixed bag on regionals.

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Essex Property Trust

Pros

The management of was generally good about doing the "right" thing.

Cons

A few managers could not be pleased, no matter how hard you worked.

Make every PM work with maintenance a day to see what we had to deal with on a dailey basis.

2. Company still has a lot to learn...

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, commission, chance of year end bonus for good performance.

Cons

Software used is very outdated, more concerned about profit than happy residents, bad support, people rarely get a raise. I've been with the company for over a year and has never recieved a raise. Most other property management companies pay better money. Company was having a hard time getting people to work for them, so all the new people make considerably more than seniority.

Our CEO seems great, but I think just might be left in the dark about a number of things. Consider looking at regional management. Be more open to new ideas or feedback. I hear people that have worked with other companies complain about how a lot of our software and programming is outdated ... As well as how we run things. We can be very cheap. You should also really consider doing yearly raises. People leave because they don't get paid very well.

And whoever is in charge of budgeting needs to be replaced, the budget structure makes no sense! Not reliable at all.

3. LOVE THIS COMPANY!

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay if you know how to negotiate, They believe in promoting from within if you truly apply yourself, and upper management communicates as well as one could expect for such a large and productive company.

Cons

Communication break down from on-site team to upper management from time to time and new programs (software or policies) aren't implemented very well. Also, they changed their time off policies which really seem unreasonable.

Frequent onsite visits and conversation with the onsite team (not just the property manager) really would benefit the company greatly.

5. Regional Turnover and Lacking Integrity- Delibrate Deceptive Tactics that are acceptable/encouraged.

Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many different types of communities.

Cons

Upper management is deceptive and practices a dictatorship philosophy. They do not want to develop leaders they want paper pushers. Unfortunately residents feel this disconnect and its a constant struggle with upper to validate these concerns as it does not fit their vision. Even with residents there is a you do as I say approach even though we manage the most private part of their lives, a home. Very cheap company who does not care to acknowledge the individual needs of each property. Blanket approach to operating sub-standard properties.

CEO is genuine and all feel this but it's other layers of management that is tarnishing this group.

Make sure your onsite management knows their processes

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I worked at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Beautiful properties that they don't hesitate to spend money on.
    Centrally located.
    Lots of properties so a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Unorganized property processes. For a company this big, the directive needs to be clear and consistent. My training was lackluster because my manager was lackluster. She did not know company processes, and as a relatively new employee I struggled to get reliable, consistent information. I was told to reach out to strangers, other managers, most not in my region, to find answers to my questions; but if you know what it is to be a manager, you know sometimes, you just don't have time to answer other people's questions so the dynamic of me having to find answers to pertinent, legal based questions through harassing other people was awkward to me.
    The company is not focussed on the dynamics onsite, which leads to a different experience from property to property.
    I was unable, due to the strange and overly competitive dynamic onsite, to rely on my subordinates to execute delegated tasks reliably. This is an important aspect of property management in my opinion; teamwork.
    I was terminated when they were fully aware I had no appropriate training, due to the fact that the pm who hired me went out on maternity leave less than two weeks after I started (I wasn't aware she was pregnant and would've stayed at the A+ property I was at prior to working for Essex if I wouldve known I was walking into a shaky management situation) and the woman they decided to place as temp PM did not have any idea of what she was doing- she couldn't/wouldn't post money, create notices or speak to residents and the staff onsite and residents truly disliked her. It is unfortunate, because I recognise I would have been an asset to the company if I would have worked with my original manager or have received the proper training.

Focus on your onsite dynamics.
    Make sure you train your new management appropriately on processes specific to their job. There was lots of leasing training, which was mandatory even though I was fully competent at leasing, but no formal management training for management.

7. Senior Management developer

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Very great development team.

Cons

Nothing, this is a really place

8. Rewarding Chaotic Challenge

Current Employee - Cant Say in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cant Say in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Corporate Salary is competitive
    Recognition
    Good Benefits
    Flexibiity

Cons

Disgruntled staff
    Harried Execs
    Disorganized and messy offices

Develop your Corporate Culture
    Transparency

A Big Company that Shafts its Employees

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust

Pros

BRE alum, BRE property managers

Cons

Essex property managers, Essex new hires, Essex itself

I am glad to have read that others are having issues with the Essex/BRE merger. BRE was good to their employees. At my property, BRE employees had been working at the company for over 8 years without any write-ups or company issues. As soon as an Essex property manager was placed there, all BRE employees, including myself were written up. One BRE alum was fired within a month and I was let go right before the holidays. The others have two strikes against them and are trying to find new jobs before their termination. Thank you for timing my termination so perfectly Essex so I wouldn't get a holiday bonus, along with having my health insurance end the day directly after my termination. Hmmmm, planned maybe? Also funny how my final check had a date signed 5 days before my termination.

Essex, you should have kept the BRE alum. If the few new hires I worked with before I was let go are an indication of YOUR choice in employees, I am going to happily watch my old property fall apart. The two new hires at my old property had already broken many rules that would have had them fired at BRE. While I was working still, the Essex property manager placed blame on me, but I no longer am there to be the scapegoat. See ya Essex! You should be more like BRE.

10. Poor ledership

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are vey good. Low out of pocket costs.

Cons

No good leadership. Too much power given to 1 individual that does not have good people skills,

Share the power; just like your stocks you need to diversify.

11. Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Property Accounting Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Property Accounting Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned alot and was promoated.

Cons

Salaries weren't competitive with other companies in area, so turnover was high.