Essex Property Trust

Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Property Accounting Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Property Accounting Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned alot and was promoated.

Cons

Salaries weren't competitive with other companies in area, so turnover was high.

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

none at the moment which is sad

Cons

they do not care about you. no support

Huge corporation lacking culture and low commission structure

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Just to be clear, I was a BRE Properties employee who was acquired by Essex through the merger. I only 1 stayed for 1 month and left right away once I saw how the new commission structure affected me. Here were some of my pros:

Great rental discounts, especially if you are the on-call person that receives the pre-tax discount
    3 weeks of vacation once you have worked there for 4 years
    Great ex-BRE employees that will hopefully foster a better culture

Cons

Comission structure for leasing specialists was terrible. Cut my normall commission by at least 60%.
    Just like in any leasing position, you don't get weekends off. Some properties have Sunday and another split day off.
    Work-life balance is decent in that you don't have to take work home
    Hard to take time off when you work in a small office
    Feels like a big corporation and lacking likeable leaders

My manager and regional manager were great! They did come from BRE Properties and really cared about our well being and oppurtunities. The company definitely needs to look into changing the commission structure if they want talented people to work for them. Otherwise, you will be living in poverty and not be able to afford to live at the property that you work at.

Property accountant

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Property Accountant in Woodland, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly. They will try to you if you have any problems.

Cons

They prefer male than female. If you are male, you will get promotion very quick. If you are female, it will take forever to get promotion.

Please give more bonus to the working hard employee.

Great company

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

Great culture from all employees

Cons

None I can think of for myself

Stability and opportunity, but overloaded by policies and procedures.

Current Employee - Property Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career opportunities are plenty and company is stable. They usually keep their properties for a long time and there are many long term employees. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Recently the company has grown too big too fast and employees are burdened with constant changing policies and a constant breakdown in software and technology systems. Perfection is often expected from it's employees, who often are not given the tools to succeed. Managers are given all the responsibility, but none of the authority to make decisions.

They really need to focus on support and training of onsite staff. Having corporate and upper management with onsite experience would be the most helpful to them in making decisions and policies that affect staff.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cares for Employees, good work/life balance, pay is good for industry, benefits are good. If you are in maintenance they try to work around needs you may have within the on-call schedule.

Cons

No employee stock purchase program, other than that no real complaints about the company. They may be a little slow to promote some people, while others get promoted more quickly with similar experience and skill levels.

Implement Employee Stock Purchase Program

Wow!

I worked at Essex Property Trust

Pros

The benefits are competitive. Changes pending, perhaps for the better. Mike Schall and some executive members seem to have good intentions, but are plagued by by the issues addressed below. There are definitely lots of job openings and room for advancement.

Cons

No integrity. They low ball and play games with their employees that really just makes me sick. Hard work and honesty are mistaken for stupidity. Kindness is a weakness to these people. They will expect 10 hours of work to be completed in 4 and will bully you into working off the clock and not taking breaks, but punish you for it just so they look legit. You have to ask them for overtime like their doing you a big favor or else suffer the consequences of not completing you massive workload by the deadline. You can't win. Don't worry, someone else will get credit for it though. They will not even know what you do. It isn't a merit based system, but a buddy system. This is the sort of place where you leave work, but can't shake the stress when you're off because the atmosphere there is so toxic. No one respects each other here. They came very unprepared for the merger with BRE. I really hope that one day the snakes at this company either change for the better or get the karma they deserve. I wish I had nicer things to say about this place, but honesty is more important.

Try hiring competent middle management that has integrity. Not just managers who steal credit to make themselves look good and throw their subordinates under the bus for things that the manager should be owning responsibility. I'm shocked this company even got 2.5 stars. Showing a little appreciation would do wonders. Anyone who's worth employing will see this place for the greedy dishonest hole that it is and leave in no time. The despicable types will stay because they benefit here. Management ought to pay attention to what going on and consider conducting investigations. That being said, there may be hope for Essex to become a better place to work. Certainly lots of room for improvement.

Do not work here unless you have no self worth

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None...don't work here if you value your sanity.

Cons

I have multiple degrees, but because I don't fit a certain "look", I've been passed up for promotions many times. My property outperforms other properties financially, and I have assisted other communities when there were position vacancies. However, my efforts were not rewarded financially or even with a 'Thank You'.

The leasing staff is severely underpaid and the Essex bonus program is a joke compared to its competitors. My regional manager is obviously responsible for multiple communities, which prevents him/her from being able to visit every property weekly. However, my manager hasn't visited my property in 3 months. This means he/she doesn't know what is going on at the community, and he/she doesn't have a pulse on what's needed for the community. It's extremely difficult to get support to hire staff, which leaves a heavier burden on current staff to do more work with no additional pay.

Take a hard look at your regional managers. They are the conduit between management policy and the frontline staff. Policies are not being explained, they are not communicated and they are not being completed because the regional managers do not do their jobs effectively. It's a crucial line of management that really needs top-performing staff, yet my experience has been that regional managers are promoted into those positions because of how they look or because of who they know. It's not based on performance or merit...AT ALL.

A piece of advice to the Executive Team: Negativity breeds negativity. Your frontline staff is tired of being slapped in the face instead of being patted on the back or thanked for all the hard work we do to increase shareholder value.

Underpaid and overworked.

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with.

Cons

Lack of training, no clear leadership, false promises of salary raise and promotion

It seems like management has forgotten the fundamentals of their business. The lively hood of all property management and holding companies in the multi family housing business is their apartment complexes. A higher focus on training for the individuals that work on site at your apartment complexes would be beneficial.