Essex Property Trust

Add Photos

Michael Schall

Love working here!

Property Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood benefits and good pay. Company recognizes employees that are dedicated. A lot of room to grow and company promotes you quick.

ConsIt's not really a con, since current changes are due to the recent merger, which is unavoidable. In fact, the company is handling changes really well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would invest more in financial training of company PM's.

Big changes to come

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat options for growth if you do your job well know the right people. Good work/life balance as long as you don't live onsite.

ConsCompensation is on the lower end across property management for many positions with caps for office/maintenance positions. Unmotivated commission structure

Upper management does not care about employees! No matter what they say or represent to you.

ProsSmall corporate environment no one knows what anyone is doing and how they matter to the bottom line.

ConsLow pay. No one listens or wants your input. No one speaks to each other or cares about their work and if you contribute to the big picture. Overworked people that do not enjoy the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the culture and maybe people will be happy to work harder for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like rats off of a sinking ship

Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe residents can become lifelong friends. Most of your coworkers are going to be some amazing people. This is the perfect company if you hate having a moment to finish a project or pee. I'm genuinely so busy that I forget that I have to pee. There are opportunities to move up with enough experience. That is, if you can last long enough without having a mental breakdown.

ConsThey expect the work of 3 people for the price of 0.8 people. They under staff their properties and then get angry when the properties don't meet expectations. Rules and management change weekly. You are constantly being pulled in a million different directions, but there is never enough time to finish half of the projects that you've started. You end up coming in early and staying late everyday even though they don't offer overtime (They discourage this, but sometimes it's the only way to finish a project). It takes 2 hours to write a simple email. I don't even make enough to live at any of our properties.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your leasing specialists more or make sure that there are at least 2 at every property, everyday! It isn't possible for one person to run a complex of more than 100 units on their own! You have great people and you are working them so much that they are leaving like rats off of a sinking ship.

Strong Company that is getting stronger

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Work culture and atmosphere
    -Much room for growth

ConsNot too many cons about this company

Greedy, Clique-ish, Penny Pinchers

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe company is strong, steady, making money.

ConsThere is a serious lack in leadership and few are trustworthy. They lead by fear. Very unpleasant 4 years of my life. Also, lack in customer service throwing "policies and procedures" at the customer rather than trying to keep them happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of customers and employees and the money will come.

Underpaid and under appreciateed.

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat maintenance teams, some managers are flexible and attempt to get you more pay/promotions and time for vacations. Good health care!

ConsPoor pay and very low commision, over worked at some properties, changing policy and rules from one property to another,

Good ole gals club.

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- If you're good at sales you can make okay money (for the industry & as long as you don't work with commission thieves) for a place that doesn't require much skill or a degree.
    - There are some awesome people that worked here.
    - Sales and leadership training was pretty good.
    - Gave me the tools to succeed in business elsewhere - as far as strong negotiation/sales skills, how to work under high stress, and how to recognize poor management in an instant

Cons- Understaffed, too many hours, no relief
    - Try getting someone to cover your office to take days off... won't happen.
    - Half of the managers I had regularly skipped work because corporate office doesn't spend much time onsite
    - High turnover while I was there
    - There are ways for bad employees to take your commission, some bosses will not back you up unless you're a favorite/friend
    - Promote the worst people, friends get promotions without necessary skills or emotional maturity
    - Squeaky wheels are pushed out
    - Unethical practices towards tenants / very cold, corporate approach
    - Ungodly amounts of filing if your team doesn't stay on it.
    - Some properties have high eviction rates

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more ethical, logical business decisions, especially towards low level employees and tenants. Try to improve your brand / reputation.

To be or not to be? That is the question

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou learn a lot how a publicly traded property management company can raise rents and manage a large scale community. Most of the work is done professionally and projects are usually completed in a timely manor. If you work here you will be up to date on how a property management company can run. You get paid vacation, all benefits and bonuses. For some this job can be challenging and long term or just a stepping stone for something better ahead.

ConsJust like other jobs, everyone will have challenges to over come and you will grow if you achieve those challenges. There are some great managers and assistants and there are some bad ones. Bad at managing complaints and how tenants are treated. That's why the online ratings are less than impressive. And also how move outs are treated with charges. We all need extra money, but why not leave with a good impression, rather than over charge them on paint when we can't back it up in court.
    As a big company you would expect a policy would be the policy. Nope it changes twice a year. Can't make up your mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on onsite management customer service. Move out policy charges and transfers to other properties. Question some of your current management and have them take a CRM class. Most of the onsite managers don't even know what that is.

The good and the bad

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsGreat Health Care. The company itself is amazing. I love my awards and my pay.

ConsPoor Management. Overworked. Left alone at property often.Manager was gone 90% of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers should visit the property's more often.

Worked for Essex Property Trust? Contribute to the Community!