Essex Property Trust

Add Photos

Michael Schall

Love working here!

Property Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood benefits and good pay. Company recognizes employees that are dedicated. A lot of room to grow and company promotes you quick.

ConsIt's not really a con, since current changes are due to the recent merger, which is unavoidable. In fact, the company is handling changes really well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would invest more in financial training of company PM's.

Big changes to come

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat options for growth if you do your job well know the right people. Good work/life balance as long as you don't live onsite.

ConsCompensation is on the lower end across property management for many positions with caps for office/maintenance positions. Unmotivated commission structure

You will be treated like pond scum!

Leasing Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThey offer benefits. There are alot of employees that will feel the same way as you will. There is very little pros about this company.

ConsThey do not give competitive wages. You will be overlooked for raises and will constantly be reminded how much money they are making but they won't share it with you. They do not provide training! They like to hire managers who don't want to work and could care less about their properties. The little people work the hardest but corporate doesn't care enough to research it for themselves because they are money hungry and forgot it's the little people who make the difference. If you complain about your mistreatment everyone will know about it and it will be turned against you. They are losing employees left and right because they do not value them at all and don't try and keep them either or find out why thet are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people to waste our time checking on the leasing staff to see if we are our jobs. You are not looking in the right direction. Care more about your residents instead of just taking their money. Seriously consider restructuring your customer service skills they need drastic improvement. Management needs training on customer service and how to treat their staff. Give raises and not just to those who blow roses up your tushies. Those are the ones you should be watching! Do site visits and personally interview your staff all of them without retaliation. You will get the answers you need. No one wants to do a confidential servey online where IP addresses show who you are. How dumb do you think we are!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like rats off of a sinking ship

Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe residents can become lifelong friends. Most of your coworkers are going to be some amazing people. This is the perfect company if you hate having a moment to finish a project or pee. I'm genuinely so busy that I forget that I have to pee. There are opportunities to move up with enough experience. That is, if you can last long enough without having a mental breakdown.

ConsThey expect the work of 3 people for the price of 0.8 people. They under staff their properties and then get angry when the properties don't meet expectations. Rules and management change weekly. You are constantly being pulled in a million different directions, but there is never enough time to finish half of the projects that you've started. You end up coming in early and staying late everyday even though they don't offer overtime (They discourage this, but sometimes it's the only way to finish a project). It takes 2 hours to write a simple email. I don't even make enough to live at any of our properties.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your leasing specialists more or make sure that there are at least 2 at every property, everyday! It isn't possible for one person to run a complex of more than 100 units on their own! You have great people and you are working them so much that they are leaving like rats off of a sinking ship.

Upper management does not care about employees! No matter what they say or represent to you.

ProsSmall corporate environment no one knows what anyone is doing and how they matter to the bottom line.

ConsLow pay. No one listens or wants your input. No one speaks to each other or cares about their work and if you contribute to the big picture. Overworked people that do not enjoy the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the culture and maybe people will be happy to work harder for you.

Strong Company that is getting stronger

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Work culture and atmosphere
    -Much room for growth

ConsNot too many cons about this company

Greedy, Clique-ish, Penny Pinchers

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe company is strong, steady, making money.

ConsThere is a serious lack in leadership and few are trustworthy. They lead by fear. Very unpleasant 4 years of my life. Also, lack in customer service throwing "policies and procedures" at the customer rather than trying to keep them happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of customers and employees and the money will come.

Underpaid and under appreciateed.

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat maintenance teams, some managers are flexible and attempt to get you more pay/promotions and time for vacations. Good health care!

ConsPoor pay and very low commision, over worked at some properties, changing policy and rules from one property to another,

Good ole gals club.

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- If you're good at sales you can make okay money (for the industry & as long as you don't work with commission thieves) for a place that doesn't require much skill or a degree.
    - There are some awesome people that worked here.
    - Sales and leadership training was pretty good.
    - Gave me the tools to succeed in business elsewhere - as far as strong negotiation/sales skills, how to work under high stress, and how to recognize poor management in an instant

Cons- Understaffed, too many hours, no relief
    - Try getting someone to cover your office to take days off... won't happen.
    - Half of the managers I had regularly skipped work because corporate office doesn't spend much time onsite
    - High turnover while I was there
    - There are ways for bad employees to take your commission, some bosses will not back you up unless you're a favorite/friend
    - Promote the worst people, friends get promotions without necessary skills or emotional maturity
    - Squeaky wheels are pushed out
    - Unethical practices towards tenants / very cold, corporate approach
    - Ungodly amounts of filing if your team doesn't stay on it.
    - Some properties have high eviction rates

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more ethical, logical business decisions, especially towards low level employees and tenants. Try to improve your brand / reputation.

The good and the bad

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsGreat Health Care. The company itself is amazing. I love my awards and my pay.

ConsPoor Management. Overworked. Left alone at property often.Manager was gone 90% of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers should visit the property's more often.

Worked for Essex Property Trust? Contribute to the Community!