Essex Property Trust

Love working here!

Current Employee - Property Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. Company recognizes employees that are dedicated. A lot of room to grow and company promotes you quick.

Cons

It's not really a con, since current changes are due to the recent merger, which is unavoidable. In fact, the company is handling changes really well.

I would invest more in financial training of company PM's.

Do not work here unless you have no self worth

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None...don't work here if you value your sanity.

Cons

I have multiple degrees, but because I don't fit a certain "look", I've been passed up for promotions many times. My property outperforms other properties financially, and I have assisted other communities when there were position vacancies. However, my efforts were not rewarded financially or even with a 'Thank You'.

The leasing staff is severely underpaid and the Essex bonus program is a joke compared to its competitors. My regional manager is obviously responsible for multiple communities, which prevents him/her from being able to visit every property weekly. However, my manager hasn't visited my property in 3 months. This means he/she doesn't know what is going on at the community, and he/she doesn't have a pulse on what's needed for the community. It's extremely difficult to get support to hire staff, which leaves a heavier burden on current staff to do more work with no additional pay.

Take a hard look at your regional managers. They are the conduit between management policy and the frontline staff. Policies are not being explained, they are not communicated and they are not being completed because the regional managers do not do their jobs effectively. It's a crucial line of management that really needs top-performing staff, yet my experience has been that regional managers are promoted into those positions because of how they look or because of who they know. It's not based on performance or merit...AT ALL.

A piece of advice to the Executive Team: Negativity breeds negativity. Your frontline staff is tired of being slapped in the face instead of being patted on the back or thanked for all the hard work we do to increase shareholder value.

Underpaid and overworked.

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved the people I worked with.

Cons

Lack of training, no clear leadership, false promises of salary raise and promotion

It seems like management has forgotten the fundamentals of their business. The lively hood of all property management and holding companies in the multi family housing business is their apartment complexes. A higher focus on training for the individuals that work on site at your apartment complexes would be beneficial.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An organization with no organization

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

Unfortunately I cannot really think of any pros for this company.

Cons

Worst company I have worked for. Very unorganized and cannot keep policies straight. Things change on a daily basis and no one talks to anyone or knows who anyone is.

Get rid of some of your mid management people and some of the people that were promoted after the merge with Bre Properties, they're blowing smoke.

Big changes to come

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time

Pros

great options for growth if you do your job well know the right people. Good work/life balance as long as you don't live onsite.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower end across property management for many positions with caps for office/maintenance positions. Unmotivated commission structure

You will be treated like pond scum!

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer benefits. There are alot of employees that will feel the same way as you will. There is very little pros about this company.

Cons

They do not give competitive wages. You will be overlooked for raises and will constantly be reminded how much money they are making but they won't share it with you. They do not provide training! They like to hire managers who don't want to work and could care less about their properties. The little people work the hardest but corporate doesn't care enough to research it for themselves because they are money hungry and forgot it's the little people who make the difference. If you complain about your mistreatment everyone will know about it and it will be turned against you. They are losing employees left and right because they do not value them at all and don't try and keep them either or find out why thet are leaving.

Stop hiring people to waste our time checking on the leasing staff to see if we are our jobs. You are not looking in the right direction. Care more about your residents instead of just taking their money. Seriously consider restructuring your customer service skills they need drastic improvement. Management needs training on customer service and how to treat their staff. Give raises and not just to those who blow roses up your tushies. Those are the ones you should be watching! Do site visits and personally interview your staff all of them without retaliation. You will get the answers you need. No one wants to do a confidential servey online where IP addresses show who you are. How dumb do you think we are!!!

Like rats off of a sinking ship

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time for less than a year

Pros

The residents can become lifelong friends. Most of your coworkers are going to be some amazing people. This is the perfect company if you hate having a moment to finish a project or pee. I'm genuinely so busy that I forget that I have to pee. There are opportunities to move up with enough experience. That is, if you can last long enough without having a mental breakdown.

Cons

They expect the work of 3 people for the price of 0.8 people. They under staff their properties and then get angry when the properties don't meet expectations. Rules and management change weekly. You are constantly being pulled in a million different directions, but there is never enough time to finish half of the projects that you've started. You end up coming in early and staying late everyday even though they don't offer overtime (They discourage this, but sometimes it's the only way to finish a project). It takes 2 hours to write a simple email. I don't even make enough to live at any of our properties.

Pay your leasing specialists more or make sure that there are at least 2 at every property, everyday! It isn't possible for one person to run a complex of more than 100 units on their own! You have great people and you are working them so much that they are leaving like rats off of a sinking ship.

Upper management does not care about employees! No matter what they say or represent to you.

I have been working at Essex Property Trust

Pros

Small corporate environment no one knows what anyone is doing and how they matter to the bottom line.

Cons

Low pay. No one listens or wants your input. No one speaks to each other or cares about their work and if you contribute to the big picture. Overworked people that do not enjoy the work.

Fix the culture and maybe people will be happy to work harder for you.

Strong Company that is getting stronger

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Work culture and atmosphere
    -Much room for growth

Cons

Not too many cons about this company

Greedy, Clique-ish, Penny Pinchers

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Essex Property Trust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is strong, steady, making money.

Cons

There is a serious lack in leadership and few are trustworthy. They lead by fear. Very unpleasant 4 years of my life. Also, lack in customer service throwing "policies and procedures" at the customer rather than trying to keep them happy.

Take better care of customers and employees and the money will come.

Worked for Essex Property Trust? Contribute to the Community!