Essilor of America Reviews

Reset
2.9
Essilor of America President John Carrier
John Carrier

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for the most part (in 8 reviews)

• Stable job, Decent Pay, Reasonable direction, Good benefits just as long as you work for one of the more important business units (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, email eccentric culture (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management, old time employees with attitudes, no room for growth above supervisor (in 4 reviews)

Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Brand Sales Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Brand Sales Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Essilor of America (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great training and competitive information resources

Cons

Very data intensive. Tracking every minute of every call

2. Marketing Director

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Essilor of America

Pros

Great benefits, 6% match on 401(k) and up to $3K in Stock Purchase plan monies, employees are eligible to recieve stock options when they join the Employee Shareholders association (VALOPTEK).
    Team effort is big and people enjoy their work and their peers

Cons

Leadership takes all the decisions and Executive Committee rubestamps it. Not many processess in place despite the size,

Advice to Management

Create well defined approval processes

3. Entrepreneur culture and good internship program in marketing

I have been working at Essilor of America

Pros

entrepreneur culture
    good rotation program within marketing team
    well managed internship program

Cons

lack of centrally controlled strategy
    Need better collaboration among teams

Change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in America, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in America, OK

I have been working at Essilor of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be a great work environment when everyone is working and getting along and team work is great.

Cons

I loved working for Essilor the 1st year. I really saw myself moving up and growing in this company However this all has changed. Not enough room for growth, and no one discusses personal growths or sets up are goals for employees. If your a green pea then you more than likely work the hardest because all other employees who have been here for years feel as though they DONT have to work. And if you have worked here for a long time and put your blood sweat and tears into it don't expect much.

We had so much work in 2013 now we are shipping 1/2 out to other countries and other labs. We are now down to 1/2 the people we had in 2013. Regional mangers and new mangers who have no idea what they are doing have caused this depletion in employees and work. We are not allowed to hire any more people. Production is constantly being changed and more work is dumped on branch mangers where they can not even mange the production floor because they are to busy doing reports for "NEW regional Mangers" that don't even have a clue to what they are doing.

How does a branch go from being GREAT to being CRAPPY? How does the President of Essilor have no clue what is going on. It's more stressful then ever no overtime allowed. More machinery then people and broken old machinery for that matter. This company makes all this money but we can't afford new machinery and more people. And apparently we don't deserve it either because we suck due to choices out of our hands and more our regionals choice. This is how great companies become nothing. Too many number guys come in change everything to prove something and it ends up becoming a struggle, stressful environment. It's not like us employees are making 40,000.

HR is awful, people who have worked at my branch for a long long time get away with everthing. They put in false reports of other co works causing investigations to go on. During investigation if you didn't have anything negative to say they didn't want to talk to you. Only negative questions were asked.! How can a HR person base a true facts when the people complaining are the ones who don't work, call out act inappropriate on the work floor. Some people who have worked here the longest feel they have the right to lie, act unprofessional and ruin the work lives of other employees.

Advice to Management

In General: Goals for employees should be given and executed correctly in a professional timely manner. Stop posting jobs after the fact you have already hired someone out side of the company to make it look like you are following procedure. For all employees working in the lab non mangers be paid the average manufacturing salary not below. And 3% for a raise is not much. We are a billion dollar company take care of your people. With that said this is why we have longevity employees.

For NEW Mangers, review the facts before you assume and change the process. Sadly but surly you will be on the out side looking in management continues to change.

Branch Mangers working with what you have and what you are allowed to has not only caused stress and unhappy work environment for your employees as well as for yourselves. It's hard to give advice to you when your hands are tied and you have no say.

HR Get to know all your employees before you assume the worst or think you actual know what's going. I feel if no HR is going to be at a branch then employee records should be up to date by all mangers and on some type of computer data base that HR may read up on. HR and mangers should be in contact at least once a week. Understand that due to longevity employees new and old employees fear losing their jobs speaking up against this epidemic of unprofessional employees.

Up until 2014 my rating would be all stars and positive however it's 2015 and I sit here and wonder every morning is today going to be the day I'm laid off? Is there really a future here for me or for others?

6. Sales manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of lateral opportunities since the company always merges with others
    A really international company

Cons

Not a lot of change to growth
    Slow decision process
    Strong "french" culture
    Not so business oreiented

Advice to Management

Do not force changed as you are all doing now

7. Worker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The bonds you make with other employees and management close and from a far

Cons

No room for advancement for better paying jobs unless you are in the In crows or personally know the people who makes the desicion to hire. The worst part of Essilor is its politics, and the low value they have for employees.

Advice to Management

Break up the old ways, and groups to stop the politics from destroying a very nice company..Stay innovative solutions for the different process that can help the daily end user become better at their job. Treat people based on their work ethics and talents and not continue to down grade the most loyal.

8. Final Cost analysis

Current Employee - Final Cost Analysis in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Final Cost Analysis in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Essilor of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, Dynamic environment, new experiences, challenging, smart managing, flexible responsibilities,

Cons

you will addicted to see your coworkers after a while then it`s really hard to get out of them

Advice to Management

try to make more brain storming for all the unpredictable happened

9. Executive ranks don't reflect the community

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Essilor of America full-time

Pros

Average Salaries
    Good benefits
    Good bonus
    Strong product for the next 10 years

Cons

Executive ranks do not reflect the larger community - very few women make it past Director level. Virtually no people of color make it past the Director level. Diversity committee does lots of "feel good" activities and no attempts at addressing the real issues.
    Lack of trust among workers towards management was at an all time high when I left.

Advice to Management

Stop running off strong talent. Start by recognizing the value in all of your employees.You could have a great company to work for. Just take a look at your executive page and start making changes there to better reflect your workforce and community. .

10. Mid management

Former Employee - Mid Manager
    Former Employee - Mid Manager

I worked at Essilor of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues and pay and bonus. If you just follow the masses and not care if your work or you make a difference and you don't mind junior high politics within their VP, directors and executives and also is you ate a white male than this is the place for you

Cons

No true leadership in executive suite. Executives are successful if they say the right things and appear to be doing something, yet delegate to others with no plan and will have them do things and then not implement. Scarcity in their staffing. Very unexperienced HR dept. HR is a mess. Sales force people are very nice but the leaders son't lead and improve. Lack selling skills and training. Many VPs are immature and act on emotions.

Advice to Management

Appears they have a new CEO. All CEOs are from France since this is a global company and its global HQ is in France. Learn how to lead vs manage. Learn how to teach the other executives and VPs on true leadership and not positional management. Learn that employers are very important and that happy ones will respond with leading the company in the industry and increasing profits.

Outlook is getting worse as time goes on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is profitable, continues to grow and has great products. Usually the bonuses are good due to the financial performance of the company. Most in upper management are relatively nice to employees.

Cons

Work/life balance is like any other large company, but the pay is 10%-15% less than what many professionals could get elsewhere. The company has the negatives of a large company (politics drives decision making for directors and above), but it does not look good on a resume like other large companies. Nobody has heard of it. There is little investment in badly needed IT infrastructure. The demands on corporate employees keep increasing. Some have been advanced or were hired into high levels of the company without great leadership or functional skills.

Advice to Management

Shrinking the workforce in middle management and support functions may seem like a good way to cut expenses, but it will backfire within a year or two when execution really falls apart. Try making decisions in a timely fashion with clearer communication to everyone by having a unified managerial front. Foster a less political corporate environment. Trust has been deteriorating over the past year.

RSS Feed </> Embed