Essilor of America Reviews

Reset
2.8
Essilor of America President John Carrier
John Carrier

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for the most part (in 8 reviews)

• Stable job, Decent Pay, Reasonable direction, Good benefits just as long as you work for one of the more important business units (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance, email eccentric culture (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management, old time employees with attitudes, no room for growth above supervisor (in 4 reviews)

1. Optical supply manufacturer customer sales

I have been working at Essilor of America

Pros

Industry leader. Employees are not micro-managed by upper management. Enjoy coworkers and office atmosphere. Feel like it's extension of my family. Fair treatment and pay.

Cons

Lower management not qualified to guide hourly employees in career development and they abuse time off policy since they aren't required to clock in and out. Upper management is rarely onsite to observe this abuse.

2. You Decide

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor of America (More than a year)

Pros

Job Security, people you work with, and you fall in love with the brand

Cons

Too much politics, If you looking to advance career, not the right company.

3. Positive Growth-oriented Culture

I have been working at Essilor of America full-time

Pros

Essilor is a company with strong financial resources and a collaborative culture. 10 year CAGR tops charts globally.

Cons

company is in the process of growing up. Adding processes and simplifying decision-making is necessary.

Advice to Management

Listen more to all levels of employees - HQ & field. More frequent formal engagement surveys are needed.

Good while it lasted, but they don't care

I worked at Essilor of America full-time

Pros

Good product and profits. Good work environment.

Cons

They will sacrifice you in a heartbeat if it makes them more money. Bunch of greedy crooks. The epitomy of capitalism. They ruined my life and I will never forgive them for that.

Advice to Management

Respect humanity before you make those asinine advertisements about how you help humanity to see better. It would be best if all people boycott your product. Stop exploiting people in Mexico, Brazil and Thailand to make your lenses on the cheap. But you won't until people wake up.

Little opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Essilor of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k matching is above average.

Cons

Uncooperative culture, poor technology investment, restricted data availability, lack of organization from the top, upper management struggles to make decisions, lack of concern about employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and try to learn from them. Being lower in the organization doesn't always mean that employees are less intelligent than you.

Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Brand Sales Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Brand Sales Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Essilor of America (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great training and competitive information resources

Cons

Very data intensive. Tracking every minute of every call

8. Marketing Director

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Essilor of America

Pros

Great benefits, 6% match on 401(k) and up to $3K in Stock Purchase plan monies, employees are eligible to recieve stock options when they join the Employee Shareholders association (VALOPTEK). Team effort is big and people enjoy their work and their peers

Cons

Leadership takes all the decisions and Executive Committee rubestamps it. Not many processess in place despite the size,

Advice to Management

Create well defined approval processes

9. Entrepreneur culture and good internship program in marketing

I have been working at Essilor of America

Pros

entrepreneur culture good rotation program within marketing team well managed internship program

Cons

lack of centrally controlled strategy Need better collaboration among teams

Sales manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Essilor of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of lateral opportunities since the company always merges with others A really international company

Cons

Not a lot of change to growth Slow decision process Strong "french" culture Not so business oreiented

Advice to Management

Do not force changed as you are all doing now

Change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in America, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in America, OK

I have been working at Essilor of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be a great work environment when everyone is working and getting along and team work is great.

Cons

I loved working for Essilor the 1st year. I really saw myself moving up and growing in this company However this all has changed. Not enough room for growth, and no one discusses personal growths or sets up are goals for employees. If your a green pea then you more than likely work the hardest because all other employees who have been here for years feel as though they DONT have to work. And if you have worked here for a long time and put your blood sweat and tears into it don't expect much. We had so much work in 2013 now we are shipping 1/2 out to other countries and other labs. We are now down to 1/2 the people we had in 2013. Regional mangers and new mangers who have no idea what they are doing have caused this depletion in employees and work. We are not allowed to hire any more people. Production is constantly being changed and more work is dumped on branch mangers where they can not even mange the production floor because they are to busy doing reports for "NEW regional Mangers" that don't even have a clue to what they are doing. How does a branch go from being GREAT to being CRAPPY? How does the President of Essilor have no clue what is going on. It's more stressful then ever no overtime allowed. More machinery then people and broken old machinery for that matter. This company makes all this money but we can't afford new machinery and more people. And apparently we don't deserve it either because we suck due to choices out of our hands and more our regionals choice. This is how great companies become nothing. Too many number guys come in change everything to prove something and it ends up becoming a struggle, stressful environment. It's not like us employees are making 40,000. HR is awful, people who have worked at my branch for a long long time get away with everthing. They put in false reports of other co works causing investigations to go on. During investigation if you didn't have anything negative to say they didn't want to talk to you. Only negative questions were asked.! How can a HR person base a true facts when the people complaining are the ones who don't work, call out act inappropriate on the work floor. Some people who have worked here the longest feel they have the right to lie, act unprofessional and ruin the work lives of other employees.

Advice to Management

In General: Goals for employees should be given and executed correctly in a professional timely manner. Stop posting jobs after the fact you have already hired someone out side of the company to make it look like you are following procedure. For all employees working in the lab non mangers be paid the average manufacturing salary not below. And 3% for a raise is not much. We are a billion dollar company take care of your people. With that said this is why we have longevity employees. For NEW Mangers, review the facts before you assume and change the process. Sadly but surly you will be on the out side looking in management continues to change. Branch Mangers working with what you have and what you are allowed to has not only caused stress and unhappy work environment for your employees as well as for yourselves. It's hard to give advice to you when your hands are tied and you have no say. HR Get to know all your employees before you assume the worst or think you actual know what's going. I feel if no HR is going to be at a branch then employee records should be up to date by all mangers and on some type of computer data base that HR may read up on. HR and mangers should be in contact at least once a week. Understand that due to longevity employees new and old employees fear losing their jobs speaking up against this epidemic of unprofessional employees. Up until 2014 my rating would be all stars and positive however it's 2015 and I sit here and wonder every morning is today going to be the day I'm laid off? Is there really a future here for me or for others?

RSS Feed </> Embed