Essilor of America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Essilor of America President John Carrier

John Carrier

Pros
  • Good work/life balance for the most part(in 8 reviews)

• They also have a pretty good benefits package(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • hours a day plus weekend hours is part of business for middle and upper management(in 5 reviews)

• work life balance, email eccentric culture(in 3 reviews)

Industry Leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrength of R&D, market leader, low debt

Conswork life balance, email eccentric culture

Essilor is a great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed the employees and executives. I enjoyed learning about the various entities and was aways learning new things and growing.

ConsI really did not find any cons about the company. Essilor is incredibly enjoyable to work for and treats their employees with respect and equality.

Just OK.

ProsIt is a growing international company and a leader in the industry.

ConsUnless you are in Marketing with an MBA from a selected group of schools, your salary will be way below average, and your opportunities for advancement will be minimal. Compensation and vacation policies are not competitive. Work culture is a bit uptight and hierarchical.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider making work environment more friendlier. Up your compensation and vacation policies. Recognize talent even if not in Marketing or from a preferred MBA school.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are not of the chosen, you are toast

ProsIf you are young and attractive, you will go along way, even out up front.

ConsLeadership like to puff their chests out. Because of who they are and when they were aquired, there is no selling expertise. They like to purchase selling models from companies and then force everyone to do the models to the letter, sales people are not allowed to develope or incorporate their abilities. There is no coaching, even evaluations are done from the bully pulpit

Advice to Senior ManagementAppoint someone to listen to the employees, evaluate according to skills and sales not looks

Friendly Enviroment

(Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEssilor is an Industry Leader which allows a lot of action within the Marketing Organization. People are friendly and it creates a positive work environment. Good work/life balance for the most part. Good benefits

Cons-Promotions often occur as a result of time in position
    -Salaries lower than industry standard

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand time requirements needed for urgent projects and better communicate objectives.

Good Solid Company

ProsCarbondale plant was a good place to work.

ConsPlant is closing in 2014

Talk to the Snails

Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe company is the market share leader by a long shot and the industry is very decentralized so it will be difficult for anyone to knock them off the top of the hill. Facilities are nice but nothing extraordinary.

ConsLack of direction and leadership. Essilor keeps expanding by acquiring smaller companies but they don't have a strategy for assimilating these companies beyond rolling their revenues into the corporate pie. The US executive team is unwilling to do anything that they haven't done before and have a difficult time giving clear direction back to Paris or out to the branch offices. If you are a even a moderate risk taker, this company will drive you crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a high level strategy then take steps to create a company culture that always drives towards goals that fit that strategy. Wandering aimlessly is a waste of the talent in your organization. This will also go a long way to helping you with a company-wide inability to communicate important information.

Survival of the Fittest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTalented, scrappy people
    Free Lenses and Discounted Eyewear

ConsLack of leadership alignment
    Sporadic accountability to company initiatives

Waste of good oxygen

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsCompany is a leader in their field only because they have bought up all the competition. They have really put the "M" in Monopoly. Paychecks didn't bounce.

ConsNo training, no advancement. Management treats you like you are in kindergarden. Nothing ever get resolved and you hope things will change, but it never will.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point, they operate in a different parallel universe.

Excellent

Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Farmers Branch, TX

ProsBest work life balance is beyond belief. Great discounts on products such as glasses and lenses for contract workers. Flexible hours. Hands off enviroment.

ConsContract work instead of direct hire. Depending on the group you work in the contract to hire may not happen do to budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf given the opportunity to work at the Dallas, TX HQ take it.

Worked for Essilor of America? Contribute to the Community!