Estée Lauder Companies

Estée Lauder Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Estée Lauder Companies President, CEO, and Director Fabrizio Freda

Fabrizio Freda

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance, which - for most people - offsets the low pay (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits,Amazing, creative, friendly, great customer service, quickly recognized (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance in Marketing role not always achievable (in 10 reviews)

• And that is why some senior management don't seem to be competent at all (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Marketing

Prosgreat benefits, work-life balance, company-values, leader in cosmetics industry, best-in-class workforce

Conshierarchy, non-existent career pathing, leadership in select departments are weak, salary is competitive but subpar

Advice to Senior Managementcareer paths, visibility to senior leaders, elevate strategic decision making

Loved my temporary position at Estee Lauder!

Temporary Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSurrounded by wonderful, kind, encouraging executives and co-workers. It had a family feel even as a new employee. There were very smart, successful executives who had a clear vision to make the brand stand out amongst their competition.

ConsI was at the company on a temporary basis, and with some internal changes, it would have been a little difficult for my position to become full-time.

I've had a great experience at Estee

Inventory Optimization and Planning Manager (Current Employee) Bristol, PA

ProsBest reasons to work here is the leadership.

ConsI have no cons to report at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways look to improve the status quo.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company culyure is that of growth, of people and business

Senior Sales and Education Executive (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits. They have a generous 401K match, pension plan and stock awards for performance. There are opportunities for career growth but there are so many internal canidates interviewing for the same job plus outside applicants. You can get there if you hone your skills, work hard and become the best

ConsThey are the lowest paying cosmetic company on an Executive level. It is very hard to get promoted unless you are willing to relocate. It took me 10 years and 5 relocations to be at a Sr Sales and Education Executive level

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more career enrichment opportunities for lower level managers such as Account Coordinators, Counter Managers and Business Managers

Still a great company, but not like before it went public.

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFantastic people and beautiful brands!

ConsToo much short term thinking based on quarterly financial performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNorth America is part of the brand DNA and should be as important a focus as China.

Toxic environment, good name on your resume

Former Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany name on your resume once you want to leave. Benefits are great, elaborate holiday party and free or discounted beauty products from leading luxury brands.

ConsIn a company that has mostly women employed and at the helm, there is a seriously toxic culture. Instead of women trying to enhance and elevate one another, it is more about putting other women down to get ahead. There is no trusting anyone you work with, not a collaborative environment because people are always looking to get the credit. The particular department I worked for was exceptionally toxic, if you did not conform to the group or did not become who the head of the department wanted you to be, there were major consequences. At times crying in the bathroom was my only resolve. Also--compensation is TERRIBLE, below market for NYC. Also, work long hours and limited work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are brilliant younger women with amazing ideas who do not want to be your coordinator or admin assistant for the rest of their lives. This is your opportunity to make a difference and be a mentor. Bring the younger folks to the table and let their ideas be heard. Maybe senior management and entry level folks can all learn from each other. Otherwise the company will continue to have high turnover and be stuck with the antiquated processes.

Average experience; your future depends on the quality of your manager

Acct Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEstee Lauder is a leader in the industry and it's wonderful to get experience working with a global company.

Conspoor compensation
    lack of career growth
    tough industry

Needs Improvement

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey offer a good benefits package to full time employees including health, dental, 401k and tuition reimbursement. The employee discount is generous and they give you free products for your birthday.

ConsHourly pay is poor and the raises are pathetic. District and executive managers typically only communicate with the store managers and visits are always scheduled. As a result, the store managers are basically unsupervised so they break the rules and do whatever they please. There are no incentives or rewards for reaching sales goals. There is little opportunity for advancement. Employees are expected to work nights, weekends and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should re-evaluate hourly wages. Upper management should pay more attention to what is going on at the store level and ask for input from store employees, not just the store managers. Implementing an incentive or reward system for sales goals would make a big difference. HR should be more available to employees so that they are aware of their benefits.

Standard work life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some employees that truly love what they do and are happy to help you out.

ConsOpportunity for growth within the department is non-existent and there is not much going on in terms of community outreach and events.

Management coop

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Bristol, PA

Prosgood team environment, and talented management teams

Conschallenging task of time sensitive work environment

Worked for Estée Lauder Companies? Contribute to the Community!