Estée Lauder Companies

Updated October 21, 2014
3.4

Estée Lauder Companies President, CEO, and Director Fabrizio Freda
Fabrizio Freda

Pros
  • Fair work life balance if you are willing to get your job done evenings and weekends (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits, lots of education, training program, paid hourly plus commission (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • home based offices make work life balance an opportunity (in 12 reviews)

• And that is why some senior management don't seem to be competent at all (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of perks, great training and education

Cons

Low pay, very political, slow movement

Overall very good!

Former Employee - Director, Product Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director, Product Development in New York, NY

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Gives employees a good quality of life in terms of work/life balance. People don't stay "crazy late". The employees are great. Great discounts. You are working on amazing products.

Cons

Salary is not as high as at major competitors but then again, I think the balance is better, so that has to be factored in.

Give more opportunities for part-time/job sharing, especially important for women with children.

Great company!

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies

Pros

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow and retail hours with lots of black out dates. Taking vacations with your family is hard.

Great to try.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Elmhurst, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Elmhurst, NY

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's getting more money than other beauty company.

Cons

The people around you have to be aware, very stress in work.

No comment.

WWTD

Former Employee - Production Intern in Oakland, NJ
    Former Employee - Production Intern in Oakland, NJ

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The manager, Terence, was absolutely the most involved he could possibly have been. I learned a lot from the internship thanks to his tutelage. He is such an impressive example of what a manager ought to be that I actually used him as an example in some of my management coursework in a section called, 'What would Terence Do?' in a reading journal.

Besides he and the other consummate professionals I got to work with, I was assigned a very serious project which I had full control over. That sort of experience is invaluable, and looks great on a resume.

Cons

Working in production is loud, and not transferable to some of the more refined positions you might be interested in pursuing afterward.

Just ask yourself... WWTD?

This is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - SAP Portal Developer in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - SAP Portal Developer in Melville, NY

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Estee Lauder has a very friendly environment.

Cons

Office space was small and there was not many interaction between the employees.

Workload should be distributed evenly.

Stuck in a beauty bubble

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are highly passionate about what they do. Lots of perks like free products, and travel opportunities including many opportunities to move within the company internationally.

Cons

Ridiculously low salaries (free lipstick is not going to make up for that). Majorly political work environment, with different offices and brands infighting constantly. Lastly, and oddly, the company seems to have invented its own corporate language that even after 4 months I had not deciphered--- literally, I would get off a 30 minute long phone call with NO IDEA about what the person was talking about. Instead of saying "ok, I am going to send you the file", at EL they would say "We are aligned, I will bounce back that asset." WHAT?

I left after only a few months, but not before my boss, her boss, and my "dotted line boss" back in NY headquarters had all left (either quit or fired). So much for the stability of a big multinational.

Invoke a company culture where transparency and clarity of language enables new talent to enter and thrive at the company. Minimize the role of politics. Don't pay people in face cream.

As an entire company - very satisfied... however...

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros for the Estee Lauder Companies are many - but to name a few they are: strong in diversion and inclusion gaining value with each employee to feel as if they belong to a community; e.g. Asian group, LGBT, Millennial, etc. The company has a very extensive training program and garner success. The company promote from within and transfer rather than exhaust. A very successful intranet where any associate can read in on what is going on with the company as a whole. A very well kept office environment where it is clean and a friendly atmosphere

Cons

In terms of MY specific department and brands I work in. The work-life balance feels to have gone off due to the leadership being very successful and into their work loads the culture shift is an all work attitude. Many leaders come in while they are sick. The hours of operation are well into the evening hours - past 615p or so. However I can only speak for the specific floor I am on. No "break room" - no cafeteria to sit down and have your lunch away from your desk. Many, associates eat their lunch at the desk and it is normal to have your lunch interrupted. A break room is needed as not all people want to go out and eat their lunch, especially during the winter time - however, taking a full lunch break is frowned upon and almost impossible as many meetings are scheduled during lunch, too.

Please have a break room where people can go to and sit down to have their lunch without work interruptions.

Chaotic, disorganized. Some good people.

Current Employee - Design in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Design in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People and family oriented. Sometimes forgiving and laid back.

Cons

Professionalism not a huge deal. Politics. No structures.

Account Executive

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies

Pros

Greatn opportunities for advancement and career devleopment

Cons

home based offices make work life balance an opportunity. Retail partnterships

Estée Lauder Companies Photos