Estée Lauder Companies

Estée Lauder Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Estée Lauder Companies President, CEO, and Director Fabrizio Freda

Fabrizio Freda

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance, which - for most people - offsets the low pay (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits,Amazing, creative, friendly, great customer service, quickly recognized (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance in Marketing role not always achievable (in 10 reviews)

• And that is why some senior management don't seem to be competent at all (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor growth, poor pay.

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTerrific co-workers in my department.

ConsIf they find out that you are looking for another job, you will be fired.
    People are often promoted who do not have the requisite skills.
    Limited opportunities for career advancement.
    Highly disorganized HR department.
    Tons of red tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with your employees in terms of compensation, job advancement, process.

Very Average Workplace

ProsFlexible hours, good balance, friendly, diverse

ConsManagement is not always respondent

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more and better feedback.

SAP documentation and Training intern

SAP Intern (Current Employee) Long Island, NC

Pros` Supervisor is very nice and tries to teach and help you as much as possible.
    ` There are lots of external consultants from IBM, SAP and other companies working here, it's a great opportunity to build your networking.
    ` Get chance to learn many advanced softwares.
    ` Get chance to work with people from different functional groups.

Cons` Internship is unpaid.
    ` Internship is not very formal and systematic, not fixed assignment, my work is based on what they need. And it's possible to get some tedious work to do even though they are not SAP related.
    `

Advice to Senior Management` Pay the interns even though it could be legal min payment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful family Company, but pay for entry/mid-level employees is below average

Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people! Everyone is the Company is extremely friendly and seems to genuinely like what they do. Perks are great! 50% of all products plus lots of free ones that go around. Benefits (medical & dental) are very strong.

ConsELC is slow to promote and salary is below average. There is a reason many employees in their 20's and 30's leave- we like working here, but the pay is so hard to live off of in NYC. A huge miss on the Company's part is the overtime policy. For example- if you are a coordinator, work late hours and make overtime you could make an extra $20-30K a year! When you get promote and you are no longer eligible for overtime, it could take you 8-10 years to get back to the salary you earned when you first started.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my 20's, I don't really have a work-life balance and I am ok with that. I do love this Company a lot, but am unfortunately looking elsewhere because of the salary gap.

Good people, lots and lots of red tape.

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking with talented people, high standards, many opportunites to advance if you have the ambition, prestigious company, good heritage. Good benefits.

ConsWork load is ridiculous, they are conservative with adopting new technology. pay is not great for mid-level unless you threaten to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate lunchroom/cafeteria space in the office

Director of R&D

ProsEstee Lauder has a comprehensive benefits package. Compensation is more than fair. Great chances for growth. Very supportive of their employees

Consway too busy at times.

Opportunities from within

Counter Manager, ABA, Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe training is transferable to other businesses. The work is seldom boring. The company seems to value the customer experience.

ConsThe commission pay outs for beauty advisors should be higher considering the sell goals. There is little room for advancement unless you are able to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe commission pay outs and bonuses or lack thereof have been established years ago. Re-evaluate the level of professionalism the positions require, the demands on employees and the turn over rate and make appropriate commission rate increases.

Marketing Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful corporate culture that is positive and stimulating, so many opportunities to better yourself both inside and outside the company.

ConsFast Paced, everyone works very hard, with that said it can be a stressful work environment sometimes, just like any other job.

Solid Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSkincare products are top shelf.

ConsLots of repetitive paperwork. Slow stock replenishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess paperwork for CM's

Slightly delusional, but slowly coming to...

Executive Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat brands, lots of enthusiasm, and a great story of a self-made brand-builder. Schedules are relatively manageable, and I really enjoy working with my colleagues.

ConsThere tends to be more enthusiasm than competence in a lot of areas. In particular, there are constantly "newly created roles" for senior people who aren't particularly talented. So it leads to an environment where many senior people, as pleasant as they may be, are not respected for their business/technical acumen. The implicit communication is that your image and relationships are more important than substantive work quality. In fact, many senior people lack the necessary competencies to effectively evaluate their direct reports at all.

On the bright side, it appears that this veil of incompetence is slowly melting away. Incremental steps are being made towards accountability and bringing in good people. The challenges we face now are building a system that rewards people for the right contributions and developing strong leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward performance. If we can effectively lay out the right goals and reward the people who help us achieve those goals, we'll be great. But if we continue to idolize our internal heroes and heroines, we will be blind to internal and external threats. We hold these people up as mavens of innovation, but ignore the fact that most of these people haven't come up with anything of interest. And while we hold fancy dinners in their honor, a competitor who is much more self-aware is working to innovate us out of existence.

Recognize strengths, but acknowledge our weaknesses. Then execute a winning strategy.

Worked for Estée Lauder Companies? Contribute to the Community!