Estée Lauder Companies

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Estée Lauder Companies President, CEO, and Director Fabrizio Freda
Fabrizio Freda

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance, which - for most people - offsets the low pay (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits,Amazing, creative, friendly, great customer service, quickly recognized (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance in Marketing role not always achievable (in 10 reviews)

• And that is why some senior management don't seem to be competent at all (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved my temporary position at Estee Lauder!

Former Employee - Temporary Human Resources Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Temporary Human Resources Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Surrounded by wonderful, kind, encouraging executives and co-workers. It had a family feel even as a new employee. There were very smart, successful executives who had a clear vision to make the brand stand out amongst their competition.

Cons

I was at the company on a temporary basis, and with some internal changes, it would have been a little difficult for my position to become full-time.

Unorganized, Lots of waste, Poor leadership

Former Employee - Director - Supply Chain  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director - Supply Chain in New York, NY

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Location, Product discount, Profit Sharing, Offsite brands have nice offices

Cons

The amount of work they expect one person to do is ridiculous, Big titles but low pay in comparison to similar titles at other cosmetic firms. Poor leadership especially in supply chain....they are completely clueless. Just a bunch of number manipulators that try to please upper management to get there bonuses. If you are coming from a company that is strong in supply chain mgmt...this place will drive you completely insane. Look elsewhere, there are plenty of better options especially in NYC area.

Supply Chain leadership needs to be completely replaced....completely clueless.

I've had a great experience at Estee

Current Employee - Inventory Optimization and Planning Manager  in  Bristol, PA
    Current Employee - Inventory Optimization and Planning Manager in Bristol, PA

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best reasons to work here is the leadership.

Cons

I have no cons to report at this time.

Always look to improve the status quo.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toxic environment, good name on your resume

Current Employee - Former Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Former Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company name on your resume once you want to leave. Benefits are great, elaborate holiday party and free or discounted beauty products from leading luxury brands.

Cons

In a company that has mostly women employed and at the helm, there is a seriously toxic culture. Instead of women trying to enhance and elevate one another, it is more about putting other women down to get ahead. There is no trusting anyone you work with, not a collaborative environment because people are always looking to get the credit. The particular department I worked for was exceptionally toxic, if you did not conform to the group or did not become who the head of the department wanted you to be, there were major consequences. At times crying in the bathroom was my only resolve. Also--compensation is TERRIBLE, below market for NYC. Also, work long hours and limited work life balance.

There are brilliant younger women with amazing ideas who do not want to be your coordinator or admin assistant for the rest of their lives. This is your opportunity to make a difference and be a mentor. Bring the younger folks to the table and let their ideas be heard. Maybe senior management and entry level folks can all learn from each other. Otherwise the company will continue to have high turnover and be stuck with the antiquated processes.

Average experience; your future depends on the quality of your manager

Current Employee - Acct Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Acct Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Estee Lauder is a leader in the industry and it's wonderful to get experience working with a global company.

Cons

poor compensation
    lack of career growth
    tough industry

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offer a good benefits package to full time employees including health, dental, 401k and tuition reimbursement. The employee discount is generous and they give you free products for your birthday.

Cons

Hourly pay is poor and the raises are pathetic. District and executive managers typically only communicate with the store managers and visits are always scheduled. As a result, the store managers are basically unsupervised so they break the rules and do whatever they please. There are no incentives or rewards for reaching sales goals. There is little opportunity for advancement. Employees are expected to work nights, weekends and holidays.

Management should re-evaluate hourly wages. Upper management should pay more attention to what is going on at the store level and ask for input from store employees, not just the store managers. Implementing an incentive or reward system for sales goals would make a big difference. HR should be more available to employees so that they are aware of their benefits.

Standard work life balance

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies

Pros

There are some employees that truly love what they do and are happy to help you out.

Cons

Opportunity for growth within the department is non-existent and there is not much going on in terms of community outreach and events.

The company culyure is that of growth, of people and business

Former Employee - Senior Sales and Education Executive  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Sales and Education Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits. They have a generous 401K match, pension plan and stock awards for performance. There are opportunities for career growth but there are so many internal canidates interviewing for the same job plus outside applicants. You can get there if you hone your skills, work hard and become the best

Cons

They are the lowest paying cosmetic company on an Executive level. It is very hard to get promoted unless you are willing to relocate. It took me 10 years and 5 relocations to be at a Sr Sales and Education Executive level

Offer more career enrichment opportunities for lower level managers such as Account Coordinators, Counter Managers and Business Managers

Best company I have worked for in terms of benefits!

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Our CEO, Fabrizio Freda, is a true leader and motivator,and has brought the company much further than I ever thought possible. Amazing and inspirational!

Cons

It is a highly relationship based company - ofttentimes opportunities depend on who you know and how well you ae known/liked.

Don't lose sight of the soft skills that made this company great as we move forward to be more process and systems oriented.

Uninspiring & Depressing

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Estée Lauder Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really good people at the company.

Cons

Terrible leadership. "Cascading" hierarchical dogma is utterly ABSURD. The corporate "layering" is ludicrous. There are too many so-called "People Managers" at Director level who have little to no real work to do at all so they essentially become Babysitters for Manager level and below. Atmosphere and environment is going from bad to worse. Extremely demoralizing. Petty. Uninspiring.

The whole "cascading" thing...I mean, seriously?? Learn how to manage or get out before all the good workers leave. Entrepreneurial and Flat is where it's at -- not the massive "layering", "cascading" and "babysitting" that is now running rampant at EL. Talent does NOT want to be a part of the latter environment.

Worked for Estée Lauder Companies? Contribute to the Community!