Estes Express

Estes Express Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.3

Estes Express President and CEO Rob Estes Jr.
Rob Estes Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay and solid benefits package (in 12 reviews)

• Pay and benefits is middle of the road (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of space and upper management having no idea of what was happening at the OKC terminal (in 9 reviews)

• Great reward for my hard work and overtime (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Weight and Research inspector

Current Employee - W&R Inspector
    Current Employee - W&R Inspector

I have been working at Estes Express (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company that is privately owned and never had a fear of layoffs. Reasonable pay.

Cons

You too out quickly and the pay is less than other trucking companies. You can hit a wall quickly when tryingnot advance within the company

Promote and train from within. Have more opportunities for advancement outside of the home office. Especially for long term and loyal employees.

Not bad for a first frieght job

Former Employee - Freight Quality Control in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Freight Quality Control in Houston, TX

I worked at Estes Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get hired faster than other frieght company's. Some flexibility and much overtime opportunities.

Cons

Last minute schedule changes and double shifts.

decent pay!

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

good pay and benefits for people who have no degree.

Cons

no room for advancement for women.

more evaluations for office staff to give promotions

I will be at Estes 3 years in March 2014 as a HUB driver.

Current Employee - Hub Driver
    Current Employee - Hub Driver

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Job Pays well and raises are very good, Fellow Drivers will work with you and help each other a lot.

Cons

Management shows no respect to employee's whatsoever, If you speak out management retaliates, Your only chance is to contact Human resources and sometimes they will back down from management. Serious lack of communication. Zero Training they merely have you sign documentation that you have had training you haven't. There is a lot of Favoritism. Job Performance doesn't matter as seniority rules all or how well you can suck up to management. All that matters is "production" and "bills per hour". Technology is so far behind it takes 45 minutes to an hour to get dispatched. Dispatcher's and office personnel are not trained properly which in turn causes serious delay's.

Management should communicate better with all employees and not bully them or belittle them. Nobody is better than anyone. Get more involved with the overall work instead of the specific title's duties. Reward good performance. Maintain the equipment and actually follow OSHA standards. Worry more about quality and less about production. Stop micro-managing your driver's we are veterans and have common sense. Treat Drivers with the respect they deserve not like they are a dime a dozen.

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

Pay is competitive and good benefits. Numerous side benefits if you take advantage of company sponsored events, perks. Co-workers very friendly.

Cons

Company has grown so fast that technology lags in critical areas. Current systems and processes have steep learing curves. Decision-making at lower levels is startingly uneven across the company. Company needs structural overhaul.

Don't try to do everything yourselves. Trust you subordinate managers more to build a fast pace environment. Push down authority but keep family culture alive.

R.I.W.F. "reduction in workforce" = 1600 employees fired to keep company in the "black"!

Former Employee - P and D Driver/Dock Supervisor in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - P and D Driver/Dock Supervisor in Madison, WI

I worked at Estes Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid me while I was there!

Cons

Overtime after 55 hrs, poor management!

Don't fire good people to make yourselves look profitable.

Good Company

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

great people to work with each day

Cons

None that I can see in the company

Mind Numbing

Current Employee - Forklift/Warehouse in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Forklift/Warehouse in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, people I work with....

Cons

Inconsistent hours, constant job slowdowns. They demand mandatory over time even on holidays and then suddenly there is no work for months! We were told we that the warehouse orders were run wrong and now that they have fixed it we are told we are so efficient that we now have no work - !?! Great reward for my hard work and overtime. No further explanation of slow down - some days only 2 hours - doesn't even pay for my gas! Management does not care about employees, blows off all questions. When times are good they lose vacation paperwork - you go on vacation thinking you'll come home to your vacation pay only to learn someone has lost the paperwork and - "oh well. it will take a week or two to submit your pay".This has happened to me more than once, I now fill out forms in mass and remind them before I go, which means I do that job for them too. They love to hand out awards and goodies like gym bags for good safety records - I rather have work or a raise!!! Management treats employees like children that can be appeased with shiny gifts to keep us quiet , when we'd appreciate being talk to as adults!

TALK TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! Without us you won't be getting your fat salary checks much longer....

No respect for employees

Current Employee - Mechanic in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay but that's about it. Decent benifets and the paychecks will clear. Sorry all the good I can say.

Cons

I've been here for 10 years this place is falling down hill. Management dehumanizing every lower employee. In military you are not treated this bad.

Listen to your employees if they get in touch with you.

Work environment

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

Friendly and family oriented atmosphere

Cons

Pay could be much better

Visit with the workers