Estes Express Reviews

Updated March 10, 2015
94 reviews filtered by
2.5
Estes Express President and CEO Rob Estes Jr.
Rob Estes Jr.

Pros
  • good pay and benefits for people who have no degree (in 14 reviews)

• Pay and benefits is middle of the road (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of space and upper management having no idea of what was happening at the OKC terminal (in 9 reviews)

• Hard work, long hours and being a comitted company person mean absolutely nothing to district management (in 4 reviews)

1. 2006-2008

Former Employee - Linehaul Driver in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Linehaul Driver in South Bend, IN

I worked at Estes Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I felt like I was part of the family within the Elkhart terminal (before they moved to South Bend) and part of an extended family when I went outside of my immediate routine. For me, that was the most important thing. Unfortunately, I was a victim of the economic slowdown. Now, due to medical reasons, I cannot return to driving. I still won't knock the job at any cost.

Cons

Had a few bad experiences with a couple of the employees with other terminals, but nothing that was unmanageable. Issues were dealt with appropriately.

N/A

2. Dock Worker/Forklift Opperater

Current Employee - Dock Worker in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Dock Worker in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, can transfer jobs from state-to-state. Other dock workers are helpful and there is good comradery. Nothing else is good, this is a fact.

Cons

Management runs on the "buddy system" therefore they choose only their friends for new job openings. Moreover management does not take merit or even education into account for employee advancement. This is not just one manager or employee that operates in this fashion it is both the terminal and operations managers that act like this, thus, if you are not a legitimate friend there is no room for future growth. Lastly, regarding management, they do not handle constructive criticism well no matter your intentions.
    WEATHER: The dock is not weather prof, therefore the temp outside is the temp on the dock (no ac/ no heat) so dress accordingly. Moreover, the roof leaks water so expect slippery conditions when it rains (this will prove to be a challenge when you are driving around with flammable goods and everyone is pushing to keep schedule). Summer is great, winter is intolerable because management does not like it when you take time to warm yourself, again, it's all about schedules not the employee even if you can't feel your hands or toes.
    EQUIPMENT: New forklifts not enough straps not enough load bars.

Coach your employees do not assign them a task and walk away, give them tips on how to improve performance up to the standards you require. STOP USING THE BUDDY SYSTEM, friends let friends do poor work with no consequences and this is not how you run a business. Employee advancement should be based on work ethic, reliability, motivation, EDUCATION and seniority not because "so-and-so's" dad had been working at this company for 10 years and his son needs a disposable income. The list goes on and on...

3. Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at Estes Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for this company! They are focused on their customers and employees. The work environment is fast-paced and friendly. Good benefits and pay.

Cons

Leadership and training and development needs improvement.

Consider surveying your employees for training purposes to look for areas of improvement. Engage the employees in the community by being instrumental in asking for volunteers for blood drives, races such as race for the cure, planting trees, beach cleanup, and other community involvement opportunities. Not only will it improve employee development but it will also improve Estes image and reputation not to mention the free advertising!

5. Work here if you want to be over worked and unappreciated

Former Employee - Dock Supervisor in Ellenwood, GA
    Former Employee - Dock Supervisor in Ellenwood, GA

I worked at Estes Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay is about the only pro

Cons

Terrible work conditions (at least here in Ga) want salaried employees to work a crazy amount of hours. No bonus no incentives weren't even allowed to take a lunch break (which for me being on the night shift was a dinner break) terrible place to work

Treat your employees better

oper supvr

Former Employee - Dock/Op Supervisor in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Dock/Op Supervisor in Northeast, NY

I worked at Estes Express

Pros

Started well,good vibes on people as well as upper mgmt caring and listening.... turned out that upper mgmt / regional as well as dist,mgr knew of Term mgr violations of Hr as well as abuse of his office,but chose to allow it to continue and fester... This lead to theft as well as health problems within the term. HR was informed and admitted she knew of the problems but could do nothing.... If your looking for a quick holdover till the next job do it , if a carreer is in your future go elsewhere

Cons

Said it all in the pros cause it got worse ,with a threat of physical as well as mental abuse...... Sorry that the way it was at Estes Express for almost 10 years....

Listen to your people and be professional enough to check out and listen to All persons involved not just your Term Mgr....

7. The land that time forgot

Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and hometime and bennies,

Cons

Wow, is this company backwards! Literally technology retarded. Trucks equiped with peoplenet, but is only used for e-logs. Forget about sending someone message. You won't get a reply.

Compliance people don't have any knowledge of fmcsa, cfr, etc. i doubt any of them would know how to find a specific regulation.

Training is idiotic. You will drive the trainers run while he rides along. He is usually sleeping making coversation about company protocols impossible. Compounding the lack of company "inner workings" is an absence of any printed material. if you have a problem, any problem, try to find another driver to help you out. The good people at "the window" will only grunt at you and shrug their shoulders.

Equipment! Hahaha luckily we run at night when there isn't a lot of DOT hounds sniffing around. The trucks are bottom end disposable daycabs that are poorly maintained. Most are single screw making winter driving a genuine thrill.

Slip seating! If no one is accountable for the condition of the vehicles, then they just get filthier - windshield cleaning limited to the wiper path. inside glass, mirrors, etc are no ones responsibility. Dashboard rattling and falling apart. defects, warning lights are rarely corrected. Food crumbs up to your ankles..

In a nutshell all Estes's systems require extensive human interaction. Unfortunately, the humans that make the systems and processes work, don't care or don't know.

Walk around a terminal and the offices. No one smiles, no one speaks, they avoid any eye contact. They all seem to hate their job,. They hate drivers because we muss up their day by creating work (dispatching, administration, shop, etc)) that they need to do.

I have never ever seen such a collection of miserable misfits!

Estes culture needs to do a 180-degree turn. That comes from upper management. You need to create a culture where employees are rewarded for going the exta mile, take ownership of their jobs, and take pride in doing their job. Right now you have miserable employees doing that absolute minimum. It is amazing how this horrible attitudes permeates through the entire organization.

8. It is positive considering the state of the industry

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

Good benefits, positive message from ownership

Cons

Industry as a whole has a driver shortage and this is causing slow growth...Companywide accountability is not very good

Company wide training would benefit customers and employees

Poor communication

Current Employee - Linehaul Driver
    Current Employee - Linehaul Driver

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. I was able to get benefits for same-gender partner. I like the independence.

Cons

Management doesn't avail themselves of peoplenet messages or email, phone calls, texts, putting up notices or telling employees information they need to know to do their jobs. I and other drivers were dispatched at night, arrived at destination terminal, took 10-hr break in motel, and then when we woke up & called in to be dispatched, we were told we wouldn't be allowed to be on the road between 10p & 6a because of New Year's. We weren't told before leaving so we could take that down time at home. We aren't compensated for the 12 lost hours. The terminal managers had no idea. The terminal dispatchers were also unaware of this new policy.

The condition of my equipment is dangerous. My last PM found a dozen issues, in addition to the bad starter and bypassed air dryer that tgey ignored until i remind3d tgem again.

I'm told that I can't have RPMs over 1700 while driving through mountains with a truck with no engine brake, which is physically impossible without burning up the brakes. Or you could stop and let them cool every few miles, but the time to travel that distance would be excessive.

Employees kept in the dark about information they need to do their job feel like they aren't needed & will move on.

10. Totally dis-functional

I worked at Estes Express

Pros

My paycheck did not bounce

Cons

Benefits were reminiscent of the 70's; mom and pop mentality; management kept their head in the sand (There's another phrase, but I'll be polite here); archaic technology

Plenty of advice but they certainly won't listen

11. Terminal Manager

I worked at Estes Express

Pros

Debt free company - economy proof, good people in management positions

Cons

High stress, not a lot invested in tools for the job compared to other LTL companies, be prepared to work 12-hr days at this level,