Estes Express Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
97 reviews filtered by

R.I.W.F. "reduction in workforce" = 1600 employees fired to keep company in the "black"!

Former Employee - P and D Driver/Dock Supervisor in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - P and D Driver/Dock Supervisor in Madison, WI

I worked at Estes Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid me while I was there!

Cons

Overtime after 55 hrs, poor management!

Advice to Management

Don't fire good people to make yourselves look profitable.

2. Good Company

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

great people to work with each day

Cons

None that I can see in the company

3. Mind Numbing

Current Employee - Forklift/Warehouse in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Forklift/Warehouse in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, people I work with....

Cons

Inconsistent hours, constant job slowdowns. They demand mandatory over time even on holidays and then suddenly there is no work for months! We were told we that the warehouse orders were run wrong and now that they have fixed it we are told we are so efficient that we now have no work - !?! Great reward for my hard work and overtime. No further explanation of slow down - some days only 2 hours - doesn't even pay for my gas! Management does not care about employees, blows off all questions. When times are good they lose vacation paperwork - you go on vacation thinking you'll come home to your vacation pay only to learn someone has lost the paperwork and - "oh well. it will take a week or two to submit your pay".This has happened to me more than once, I now fill out forms in mass and remind them before I go, which means I do that job for them too. They love to hand out awards and goodies like gym bags for good safety records - I rather have work or a raise!!! Management treats employees like children that can be appeased with shiny gifts to keep us quiet , when we'd appreciate being talk to as adults!

Advice to Management

TALK TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! Without us you won't be getting your fat salary checks much longer....

5. No respect for employees

Current Employee - Mechanic in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay but that's about it. Decent benifets and the paychecks will clear. Sorry all the good I can say.

Cons

I've been here for 10 years this place is falling down hill. Management dehumanizing every lower employee. In military you are not treated this bad.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees if they get in touch with you.

6. Work environment

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

Friendly and family oriented atmosphere

Cons

Pay could be much better

Advice to Management

Visit with the workers

Estes is a stable job with lack of promotion.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Receive paycheck every week. Work from home.

Cons

Company that is stuck in time and does not compensate like positions based on experience and performance.No sick time; minimal vacation time. No bonuses or annual increases based on cost of living increases.

A job you will love to hate.

Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Home every day.

Cons

Worst equipment I have ever driven. Nobody cares. It permeates the whole company. Sad, it could be a great place to work. No expectations for it to get better. Been here 3 long years and looking for a new job.

Advice to Management

Don't really have any advice. It's a privately owned company run by one family. They can do whatever they want, but I don't have to drive for them, and there lies the problem. If your drivers aren't happy and leaving like they are a Estes you can't continue doing business.

9. Most disrespectful group you could possibly imagine.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

The people who you work along side of are hard working, give it your all types, except for the few brown nosers, but that always backfires on them soon enough.

Cons

Zero respect. Terrible, worn out equipment. Treat you like a slave unless you're on a 34 hrs restart. Manipulate your vacation time to keep you from having any quality time for yourself. Don't pay overtime until 55 hr.so you don't really make that much in the end. Little if any regard for your safety or health, though they will blow a lot of smoke about it.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees a little,for a change. Quit lying about everything.

Positive experience.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Estes Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, company car, benefits. Family friendly company. Opportunity for advancement if willing to relocate.

Cons

Technology was not very good. Continual problems with computer programs and information not reliable.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Profess to be all about taking care of customers and being honest when in fact was not the culture I experienced. Trust your employees to make good business decisions. Upgrade pricing department with "qualified" analysts that understand the freight industry.

Dockworker

Former Employee - Dockworker in West Middlesex, PA
    Former Employee - Dockworker in West Middlesex, PA

I worked at Estes Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow co workers that are the same title as you will work with you. Decent pay & benefits. Plenty of work.

Cons

Upper management shows no respect, unless you can joke with them and boost their ego. Treated like dogs. Serious lack of communication. Hours always changing. Terrible training process. Information discovered when it is too late. All penalty and no reward (you can do everything right and be rewarded nothing. First time mistake and you hear about it constantly.) Unorganized. Poor equipment not up to par. Mass amount of freight damages. Poor maintenance. Constant gossip. Brutal cold winters and scorching hot summers. Favoritism. Performance doesn't matter as seniority rules all. All that matters is "production" and "bills per hour". Technology is so far behind.

Advice to Management

Management should communicate better with all co workers. Nobody is better than anyone. Get more involved with the overall work instead of the specific title's duties. Reward good performance. Maintain the equipment and actually follow OSHA standards. Worry more about quality and less about production.