Estes Express

www.estes-express.com
Employer Engaged

Estes is a stable job with lack of promotion.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Receive paycheck every week. Work from home.

Cons

Company that is stuck in time and does not compensate like positions based on experience and performance.No sick time; minimal vacation time. No bonuses or annual increases based on cost of living increases.

Most disrespectful group you could possibly imagine.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Estes Express

Pros

The people who you work along side of are hard working, give it your all types, except for the few brown nosers, but that always backfires on them soon enough.

Cons

Zero respect. Terrible, worn out equipment. Treat you like a slave unless you're on a 34 hrs restart. Manipulate your vacation time to keep you from having any quality time for yourself. Don't pay overtime until 55 hr.so you don't really make that much in the end. Little if any regard for your safety or health, though they will blow a lot of smoke about it.

Think about your employees a little,for a change. Quit lying about everything.

A job you will love to hate.

Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Linehaul Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Home every day.

Cons

Worst equipment I have ever driven. Nobody cares. It permeates the whole company. Sad, it could be a great place to work. No expectations for it to get better. Been here 3 long years and looking for a new job.

Don't really have any advice. It's a privately owned company run by one family. They can do whatever they want, but I don't have to drive for them, and there lies the problem. If your drivers aren't happy and leaving like they are a Estes you can't continue doing business.

Positive experience.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Estes Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, company car, benefits. Family friendly company. Opportunity for advancement if willing to relocate.

Cons

Technology was not very good. Continual problems with computer programs and information not reliable.

Walk the talk. Profess to be all about taking care of customers and being honest when in fact was not the culture I experienced. Trust your employees to make good business decisions. Upgrade pricing department with "qualified" analysts that understand the freight industry.

Dockworker

Former Employee - Dockworker in West Middlesex, PA
    Former Employee - Dockworker in West Middlesex, PA

I worked at Estes Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fellow co workers that are the same title as you will work with you. Decent pay & benefits. Plenty of work.

Cons

Upper management shows no respect, unless you can joke with them and boost their ego. Treated like dogs. Serious lack of communication. Hours always changing. Terrible training process. Information discovered when it is too late. All penalty and no reward (you can do everything right and be rewarded nothing. First time mistake and you hear about it constantly.) Unorganized. Poor equipment not up to par. Mass amount of freight damages. Poor maintenance. Constant gossip. Brutal cold winters and scorching hot summers. Favoritism. Performance doesn't matter as seniority rules all. All that matters is "production" and "bills per hour". Technology is so far behind.

Management should communicate better with all co workers. Nobody is better than anyone. Get more involved with the overall work instead of the specific title's duties. Reward good performance. Maintain the equipment and actually follow OSHA standards. Worry more about quality and less about production.

don't ask questions

Former Employee - City Driver in York, PA
    Former Employee - City Driver in York, PA

I worked at Estes Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay, fellow workers, team safety awards

Cons

getting a direct answer no leadership passing the blame onto the workers

review everybody the same don't pick on the ones you don't like if the ones you do like do the same things

the worest company to drive for in the last 30 years of driving.

Current Employee - Hub Driver in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Hub Driver in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Estes Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most local personel were nice and helpful.

Cons

worest equipment i have ever seen or drove. Write it up would still never be fixed. cheapest group i had ever worked for. The most damaged frieght daily i had ever seen.

Give up!

Come for the nepotism -- stay for the 1960s business approach!

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Richmond, VA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Estes Express as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

It pays the bills. Honestly, beyond getting a paycheck, I'm not getting any personal satisfaction from working at Estes. My skills are atrophying and my morale is plummeting because I see so many people leaving the company for a better place.

Cons

Old technology. Old corporate office with black mold. MANY people just trying to put in their weekly 40 for another year or two before retirement. Not just bad interdepartmental communication, but outright hostility among departments. No employee review processes. Seat-of-the-pants reorganizations. Kowtowing to the ubiquitous members of the Estes family who reside everywhere in upper management. I'm pretty sure I can feel myself aging as I sit here.

It's hard to know where to start. In my honest and respectful opinion, I can see that management isn't motivated to make the company a decent place to work. Perhaps you need to begin by letting people outside the Estes family run the company.

Not a great place to work! Find something else.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Estes Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few. The training is ok and there is an effort to inform employees of their job function, it is not very thorough, but the effort is there. Benefits are not bad, so for that it is tolerable to be there.

Cons

Pay is at the lower end of market. As seems to be the norm for lower end freight companies upper management has no interest in bettering or listening to ideas that could improve the future of the company's business prospects, there was talk but no action. Revolving door of sales reps, again the norm for lower end freight companies. Unsupported sales crew, talk of support, but no action to support. Terminal manager dotted line to sales, ridiculous!!

Seems that there has been one improvement no more dotted line from TM to sales. Improvements to the culture would be to instill a sense of pride, morale is just awful. Keeping your job is not enough incentive for someone who wants to make a difference, offer bonuses and decent raises. There are people that have been there for years and are not making much more than when they started. As they say in real sales jobs, if you aren't making more money in a couple of years you shouldn't be there, you should either be fired or leave!

Great Company All Around

Former Employee - P & D Driver in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - P & D Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at Estes Express full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As far as freight companies go it's all around top notch! I had the best experience. A personal matter took me out of state and had to resign.

Cons

Can't think of any. Not joking either

Keep up the good work.