Esurance

Updated November 19, 2014
3.7

Esurance President and CEO Gary C. Tolman
Gary C. Tolman

Pros
  • Somewhat decent work/life balance after you put some time into the company (in 17 reviews)

• Company is growing - an exciting time to be a part of it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance : They will call you anytime in night to fix "Urgent" issue (in 17 reviews)

• No work life balance, heavy workloads, and no light at the end of the tunnel as of right now (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great team, good culture, and management focused on development

I worked at Esurance

Pros

Overalls Esurance was a great place to work. Really good work life balance, good development opportunities in the office, and just a generally positive environment to be in.

The company has a pretty sizeable chunk of employees who left the company and came back after some time. I think that speaks well of the company and its culture.

Cons

You trade some salary for the work life balance, and there are a few teams that seem to be outliers in terms of reviews.

I think the management should build a program to identify quickly growing talent and develop it internally.

Workplace review

I have been working at Esurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Nice New Decent Pay

Cons

Still evolving, Not mature enough

Great people, but can be frustrating

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-I genuinely like my coworkers and feel supported by the other people on my team
    -I get to work on a variety of projects
    -Great work/life balance

Cons

-Slow to reward (i.e. promotions) good work (at least on certain teams)
    -Reward certain people just for being there a long time, even if they don't do a good job
    -Upper management seems a bit secretive at times and communication and direction aren't always clear
    -Lots of politics
    -Salary is lower than average for the same position in my city
    -Cheap when it comes to perks and technology. Our chairs are horrible.

-Do more for your employees to compete with other tech companies.
    -Certain people in upper management should pay more respect to the people on the front lines
    -Make it easier to move up in the company

Sales Agent 1

Current Employee - Sales Agent I in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Agent I in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, excellent PTO and schedule flexibility, effective training and preparation for job.

Cons

Customer base ranges from moderate to horrible "high risk". Long hours. Company emphasizes on growth and how sales agents can advance, but opportunities are limited. Sales are based off company median and not company average meaning to qualify for bonus, you must meet a higher margin that is less likely and can completely disqualify you from your bonus or penalize you ( hurting opportunity to grow).

Use company average over company median for sales qualifiers, give "licensed sales agents" more underwriting authority to better assist customers.

Esurance is a fun, modern company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively easy
    Decent Benefits
    Fun, mostly relaxed atmosphere
    Good supervisors and coworkers

Cons

Wish there was a slightly better, more flexible schedule
    Work/Life balance better than a lot, but still could use more flexibility

Great job!

I would not suggest this company for a long term stay.

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Every now and then there are company lunches if employees donate up to a certain dollar amount to a local cause. Bonuses are pretty stable, though I heard one year they didn't pay any out. Tries to promote and celebrate diversity within the workplace.

Cons

Performance reviews are something of a farce. In reality very limited educational opportunities. Many teams suffer from a significant amount of micromanagement.

Lots of Fluff, Fake "Potential Growth Town Hall Meetings and "We'll look into that" Not enough REAL growth. STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at Esurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are fun
    Training staff is fun
    Free coffee and tea
    Clean Bathrooms and Office

Cons

Sales compensation is totally blown out of perspective as compared to what Esurance says in the Sales Agent job description. You will make $50,000 if you're there all day 7am to Midnight everyday. Realistic Salary with bonus is about 35k.

Lots of talk from management about things getting better and more pay and better spifs and more incentive money in the future. After about a year and a half of all of this talk my pay has decreased about 45%.

When you attend the company's Quarterly Town Hall meetings, where they talk about where the company is and where the company is going, it is always so fake! Sales Management loves to talk about how many calls we've taken as a company and NEVER talks about how many of those calls were converted or how much money we made as a company. It's pretty obvious that his annual bonus is determined by how efficiently and how many calls the sales agents take.

Slowing Growth

High Turn-Over

Realize that the companies "Growth" is only short-term and temporary. All you are doing is just cutting rates temporarily so that you can steal customers from competitors in the short-term. Interesting how after 6 months those customers go back to their former insurer and then repeat this cycle. Geico, and USAA are NOT doing this. Those companies lower costs on the corporate side of things and offer more incentives to their sales force. They recognize that the Sales Force is the lifeblood and heart of any successful company. Esurance is cutting resources from the "heart" and the whole body is beginning to shut down. Esurance "fixes" this issue by hooking up to "life support" (Allstate). Remember "life support" is expensive and only covering up the real problem.... A bad heart (burnt out salesforce with no reason to stay).

Fun place to work, great opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast growing company with excellent training program for new hires.

Cons

No cons so far, great place to work

Stressful with opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Sales Agent I in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Sales Agent I in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement within Esurance. They promote from within and live up to their core values. They have a generous benefit package that starts the day that you do.

Cons

There is pressure to preform. If one struggles initially with utilization of the knowledge base provided Esurance may not be the best fit for you as an employer.

Make certain to train everyone equally. If you leave employees out simply because you think they are bright and pick things up on their own, they may struggle and become disillusioned with you.

Great atmosphere

I have been working at Esurance

Pros

Challenge but cooperate work atmosphere. Flexible!

Cons

Stressful and fell hard to get ahead.

Esurance Photos