Esurance

Esurance Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Esurance President and CEO Gary C. Tolman

Gary C. Tolman

Pros
  • Somewhat decent work/life balance after you put some time into the company (in 15 reviews)

• Company is growing - an exciting time to be a part of it (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance : They will call you anytime in night to fix "Urgent" issue (in 15 reviews)

• No work life balance, heavy workloads, and no light at the end of the tunnel as of right now (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bumpy Ride

Product Analyst (Current Employee) Rocklin, CA

ProsThere are some amazing, talented and dedicated people working here. It could be an amazing place to work and grow, because there are always new projects and new systems being created.

ConsThere is a huge gap between the goals and the promises made to Allstate and whats possible. It is well known that the most senior level product mgrs philisophy is "if I give a realistic timeframe, people will take their foot off the gas" and "I don't care, make it happen", it has turned what could be an exausting yet exciting environment into what feels like scaling Mt Everest every day, except that the mountain is growing as fast as you climb. You feel like you can't win, you can't succeed and you don't have time to do your best work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe goals can still be agressive and stretch your people, but must also be attainable. When new initiatives come, the business leaders should be involved in the decision making so that these decisions are not made in a vacuum, but are being made by the people who know what it takes and what else is also planned during that time and frankly whether or not it's possible. The more we promise unrealistic goals, it makes it harder and harder to trust leadership.

Growing company going through alot of changes

Sales Agent II (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsOffice atmosphere. Co workers, managers and fairness with employees. There's basically limitless overtime during the busy months. You can make decent money.

ConsCompensation is based of the median. If you arent better than the guy next to you, you wont make much money. Compensations plan changes continuously.. but for the better. It seems like they still really dont know what they want their business model to look like.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do a great job motivating and being down to earth and listening to employee feedback. Theres pretty much nothing you need to improve on. Everyone in the office is valued.

Good folks, really depends on the department you work at

Actuarial Analyst (Statistician) (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompared to many large corporate insurance companies, Esurance is definitely on the younger, hipper end. Great place for you to start a career and learn new things.

ConsThe company tries to make itself seem as a startup or compete with startup companies, but definitely is not good at it. As the company expands, it's becoming more corporate and less transparent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A very loyal company and loves helping out so that the team is top notch and a great one at that

Express Representative (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsLives by their 5 steps of making it, doing good by the customer, and never thinks twice

ConsThe shifts that you want, but can be good cause you can work to prove you deserve that shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnowledge to every one is a great stepping stone

Tough but fair

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Sioux Falls, SD

ProsCulture, people, atmosphere, benefits are really good

ConsWish decisions would be made sooner

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthis is a very employee freindly company, the managers and supervisors really care about the people who work there ,and it is probably one of the most diverse places to work that i have ever been fortunate enough to be associated with

Consit just takes a long time to get hired on perm

Advice to Senior Managementbring down the requirement for perm from a year to maybe 3-4 months

Overall, great first job, but lacked in terms of company culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits, pretty good salary, great people

ConsWork-life balance was pretty poor, and the company culture is more insurance company than dot-com technology company. It was almost as if the company had an identity crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking about Esurance as an insurance product. It severely limits the user experience. Re-think it as something new, different, innovative.

I've never loved getting up and goin into work Everyday until I started w/ Esurance

LRU Representative (Current Employee) Sioux Falls, SD

ProsThe Culture, the openess, the incentives and appreciation given are priceless. Oh, and the great benefits are a great plus, and there is a schedule around the clock that is usually suitable for anyone.

ConsYou might have to start off with a out of the ordinary schedule but there is always room for that to change to something more suitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Great Work . Integrity is always at work here.

Great training, great people

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsExcellent training. I felt very prepared for my job. Even after training the company provides a lot of support and ways to learn to do your job better.

ConsDownsides related to the job - dealing with sometimes irate people. Even there Esurance gives reps a lot of latitude to give customers positive outcomes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the person centered management style - it works

Best job of my life!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI had the privilege of working for Esurance during two huge rapid growth spurts, and I loved that they want people to step up, step in and help drive the company forward. Despite it being a highly regulated industry, they do some pretty cutting edge stuff. It is not at all political, and management has a healthy approach to leading the business.

ConsBeing acquired by Allstate has added some extra bureacracy. That said, most employees are not exposed to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the people. And, stay real and authentic. Focus on keeping the special Esurance culture that you have.

Worked for Esurance? Contribute to the Community!