Esurance Reviews

Updated April 18, 2015
222 reviews filtered by

Felt like a slave

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

It was a job that paid the bills. That's all, nothing more nothing less. Management is a joke, especially upper management.

Cons

No work/life balance...to management your life is work.
    Pay...HA, what a joke. The "bonuses" were cut by more than half after Allstate bought the company in 2011 and then we were constantly lied to that we were making the same as before.
    No career advancement opportunities, unless you were kissing someones butt and those that did get promoted were very unqualified.
    Claim to be family friendly, but again another lie.

Advice to Management

These are people who are doing the sales and making this company money, try to remember that. There is a great lack of morale on the sales floor and nothing on the horizon shows that it will change. I would never work for this company again.

2. Satisfying at times

I worked at Esurance

Pros

Opportunity for sales for people who like to push to achieve their goals. Very generous bonuses for performance paid out at times. Great flexibility for scheduling with other sales agents.

Cons

Very difficult to move up from a basic position.

Limited opportunity to grow and advance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Esurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my colleagues, good work/life balance and flexibility, supported outside training and prof growth and development

Cons

Company has changed a lot since being acquired. Does not thrive the same as before. Low morale, high turnover, and in need of better mgmt

a learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Esurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good group of employess

Cons

Understaffed and no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Encourage and reward the employess

Supervisor/helpdesk

Current Employee - Supervisor in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Anyone who's computer literate and eager to learn can work here. Middle management seems to care about employees. Most of them really impress me. Some seasoned employees. Ok benefits. They want to challenge their employees to challenge themselves. Highly competitive when looking to promote in some areas of the company. There are numerous ways to network yourself in a fast paced, rising company. Paying for the initial cost of getting licensed. Small bonuses at month end. Some incentives. Catering in the break room. Somewhat decent work/life balance after you put some time into the company. Possibly of a new challenge daily. You always learn something new. Employees suggestions has helped save the company a lot of time and hassle in some situations. Always somewhere you can promote to. Multiple locations nationwide. Sioux falls office is probably the best place to work out of all the others. Lots of different dept in one building allows for creative ideas to improve the company. They aren't there yet, but some of Management/Corp have good minds for where to go with the company. Management is always trying to find ways to help reps succeed and to also improve the company.

Cons

There are people who are major players in the company who are making big decisions, who seemingly have no idea what it's like for the Dedicated employees who interact with customers. There are people making changes who have never had to sit and be verbally abused by a customer because of processes and daily pain points.

That aside, I feel that nobody working in SA/TL spot is being paid a respectable wage compared to expectations (or other businesses in the area) At the very least a minimum starting wage of $15-$17 per hour in Sioux falls would be competitive to what I've been offered at other companies. SA alone handles a good number of major functions of the company. The company "revised" the pay structure, but all that means is you still don't get paid more based on expectations changing as frequently as they do. We do what we do, very well for the most part. It'd be nice to be recognized for that from time to time.

I've been with the company for over 4 years and have been treated decently. Unfortunately, after looking at other jobs in different call centers, and other insurance companies, I've realized that we are very under paid for what we are asked to do. I have been hearing the same from other teammates as well. I'm sticking it out to see how the changes go. Not sticking around more than another year if pay doesn't improve.

Advice to Management

How in the heck has nobody attacked the issues we have daily with our LCSRs. I used to be proud to say I got to where I am now because of the things I learned there. However, when you pay them (and most anyone in team lead and lower paybands) as little as you do, for what you expect from them....we get the San Antonio office. The sups and TLs there (with exception to a select few) must not coach their reps at all. I've sent numerous coachings on 9-10 agents there and I continue to see the same issues. Hold reps accountable for their mistakes. Corrective action for quality needs to be addressed. Simply because it never happens. Some sups in SF and San Antonio need to be looked at very closely.

IT Dev - H1B turmoil, very political

I worked at Esurance

Pros

Great location in SF financial district and free refreshments available at SF office.

Cons

There is no chance for growth unless you are a suck-up or bootlicker.
    Low pay, expectation to work 24/7. Low employee morale and productivity as all sticking out until the immigration clears.
    Managers keen in the fat paycheck/huge bonus and overworking the teams. Managers don't take no as an answer from subordinates and will never say no to their seniors. Most managers are long tenured employees promoted within with outdated skills.
    Senior management repeatedly fails to understand how software development works, there is only focus on how the end result will be bug free.
    Highly political environment. No effort to get it done right. Plenty finger pointing. No clear accountability.
    No good decision taken by Senior management to fix or understand any issues.

Advice to Management

Hire people in IT development who understand software development fundamentals. Hire managers that care about the product/people and company and not just paychecks.

Great entry-level place, but not much opportunity to advance in career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-work/life balance
    -close to public transportation
    -fun but dedicated coworkers
    -wear jeans
    -great restaurants in walking distance
    -SMG are open to discussing specifics during town hall meetings

Cons

-compensation doesn't seem to be competitive
    -archaic system of punching in/out
    -small display monitors (depends on which department you're in)
    -disorganized systems and processes

Horrible work life balance and low salary

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

They have jobs but you're better off looking elsewhere.

Cons

They expect you to work more than 60 hrs a week. They also offer very low salaries even in some of the most expensive job markets. No work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly and give them opportunities for work/life balance.

10. A company that cares

Current Employee - Express Representative in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Express Representative in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with the people & direction of the company.

Cons

Sometimes some long hours at work but can also be good with overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on customer & employee.

Bumpy Ride

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some amazing, talented and dedicated people working here. It could be an amazing place to work and grow, because there are always new projects and new systems being created.

Cons

There is a huge gap between the goals and the promises made to Allstate and whats possible. It is well known that the most senior level product mgrs philisophy is "if I give a realistic timeframe, people will take their foot off the gas" and "I don't care, make it happen", it has turned what could be an exausting yet exciting environment into what feels like scaling Mt Everest every day, except that the mountain is growing as fast as you climb. You feel like you can't win, you can't succeed and you don't have time to do your best work.

Advice to Management

I believe goals can still be agressive and stretch your people, but must also be attainable. When new initiatives come, the business leaders should be involved in the decision making so that these decisions are not made in a vacuum, but are being made by the people who know what it takes and what else is also planned during that time and frankly whether or not it's possible. The more we promise unrealistic goals, it makes it harder and harder to trust leadership.

Esurance Photos