Ethan Allen
www.ethanallen.com Danbury, CT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Ethan Allen Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Ethan Allen – US – “Ethan Allen”

Ethan Allen Chairman, President, and CEO M. Farooq Kathwari

M. Farooq Kathwari

Pros:
  • "Pay scale some of the best in the furniture/interior design industry"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great product line and style of furniture"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you aren't upper management or a designer you will get treated like GARBAGE"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work-life balance definitely leans toward work"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Solid Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA well structed company that offers training, insurance and a chance to advance.

ConsAs an Interior Designer accustomed to the wide varity offered by many manufacturers one can feel limited to the "Ethan Allen only", choices for clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo continue to broaden your selections in furniture styles, fabrics, etc. Try to stay in the forefront of design.

Retail Design

Client Service Specialist (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsInterior design, interesting product, decent clients.

ConsManagement is a joke. No room for advancement unless you are favored and even then it's difficult. No overtime yet required to work over 40 hours without compensation. Designers are commission and always stressed/fighting for new business.

employment experience varies wildly depending on location

Design Consultant (Current Employee)

Prosgood benefits package...full range. generally pleasant work environment. opportunity to move up and around...transfer, promotion, etc. lots of training info available.

Conslots of variability in the enforcement of policy. people often promoted for being good in sales, not being gifted managers. upper level management out of touch in post 2008 world of sales/design. sometimes daily life in the company is driven too much by operations/back end and not driven by sales/design/client needs. customer service sluggish and obstinate at times. seldom is the customer always right. your experience with the company will largely depend on who your manager/district manager is.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some ears to the ground and talk to design consultants without the filter of three layers of management. Develop a budget for print advertising in markets and allow it to be managed/distributed by regional and district managers. Work on a more populist approach to design centers...if red and blue sells, let them show that on the floor! Generally speaking develop greater accountability for management and operations. It's easy to burn through talented sales staff if they are not being properly managed and supported.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overworked and underpaid

Danbury, CT

ProsMy coworkers are all great to work with and it is convenient to home.

ConsCompensation is not related to performance unless you are in a senior management position. And there is minimal room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to step up with systems and technology. Employees waste so much time trying to get information and data that should be readily available.

Working at Ethan Allen Warehouse

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
    Newtown, CT

ProsDental and Health benefits are solid. There is overtime from time to time which is always good. Schedule work hours is great it's wonderful being out before 2:45 in the summers

ConsGetting a RAISE is said to be not possible. Not enough vacation time for amount of physical toll the work load takes on body. No vision plan. Max 401k match is $1,300.00 a year, wish it was more. Warehouse should receive same amount of holidays as corporate as we are the backbone of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould take better approach on training and promoting within.

If you are decorator, yes. If you are a designer, DON'T WORK HERE!

Design Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsI've met some pretty awesome people working here and they have decent benefits. They will pay for you to go to corporate for new hire training too.

ConsSales take precedence over design always. The job is commission based so you have to make up a certain amount every month. Its very pressured and stressful. If you went to interior design school and you love the art and creation aspects of design then you will hate it here. If you like the decoration part it would probably suit you. Everything is turned around to sales though. And there's that whole corporation thing.. definitely just feel like a number. Management is typical corporate america - sneaky and nothing you do is ever good enough. I'm writing this on my last day and couldn't be happier to leave! Also - catering to rich people... Not my style.

I was naiive taking this job because they made it sound great in the interview, but wow was I miserable here. Definitely not a good environment for a creative person to be in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so uptight

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

No Growth Opportunities

Operations (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThey hire a lot of talented, creative and dedicated people. Training for hourly employees is dependent on the skill of someone willing to donate training time.

ConsLack of Communication between Mgt and Hourly support staff. Never an opportunity to get a raise or work overtime, yet more and more work is expected.

A true learning experience.

Design Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLeads industry in quality product, stays current on design trends, nice employee discount.

ConsRetail hours, holidays, etc.

Manager Review

Design Center Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStrong product offerings, high earning potential for Designers.

ConsLeadership is solely focused on generating profits and not individual's succession.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers should in in place to interface with all locations. Having a Regional/VP as immediate supervisor is not effective.
    District DCM meetings on a quarterly basis.

Great Company to work for based on core values, quality design and furniture. I look forward to going to work each day

Design Center Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAlways looking toward the future, redesigning, utilizing technology, setting the stage for exceptional customer service as well as internal growth for team members

ConsChange is great, however constant reinvention requires teams to always be adjusting to different ways of thinking with sales and new products. Sometimes we need to give a great idea enough time to thrive

Worked for Ethan Allen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ethan Allen reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ethan Allen CEO M. Farooq Kathwari. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Ethan Allen employees.