Ethicon Endo-Surgery

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kevin Lobo

R&D Co-Op: Competitive but Intriguing

R&D Co-Op (Former Employee)
Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Ethicon Endo-Surgery as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs a co-op I was given more opportunities to work on real engineering work than at other companies. There is a great work/life balance that is encouraged by the other employees. The pay is competitive with, if not better, than most competitors. Gym, including basketball/volleyball court, onsite is a huge bonus.

ConsAs with any company there are politics that are involved with the engineering work. Also, as I said earlier, it is very competitive. If you would like to evolve the co-op into a full time job I would recommend trying to get multiple co-ops.

Very volatile as the market becomes saturated with more players vying for a growing energy device demand

Energy Sales Representative (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ethicon Endo-Surgery full-time

ProsHigh Base, Company Car, continuous pipeline (albeit unimpressive)

ConsContinuous restructuring, layoffs, non-stop administrative duties

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace higher emphasis on the device function and ease of use. Doctors don't want to have to THINK about what they are doing, unfortunately

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Quota

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at Ethicon Endo-Surgery full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you meet quota you'll make $130k.
Car, iPad, iPhone, full benefits included.
Pension.

ConsQuotas are often set too high. In 2013 you had to exceed quota to make targeted compensation.
Very competetive market with emerging competitors.
Customer is shifting from doctors to hospitals.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a sales rep meets 100% of quota, they should get 100% of variable comp.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was once a great place to work!

Product Director (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Ethicon Endo-Surgery full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice people. Quality products. High margins.

ConsRecently lots of insecurity. Shrinking sales mean less opportunity and constant re-orgs. Moving most mgmt jobs to NJ.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to growth...

Great first company to intern at!

R&D (Former Employee)
Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Ethicon Endo-Surgery as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt has a great atmosphere that constantly promotes interactivity between company employees. The employees really take to the heart the ability to help their fellow colleague which creates a stress free environment and one that does not limit you in your abilities. Additionally it will always put family first.

ConsDue to the market position of the company, it lacked the originality I hoped for when entering a medical device company. Their internship program is great but it lacks the ability to support students as they hire 30 students per semester and take only a handful of college grads every year.

former summer intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ethicon Endo-Surgery

Prosthey put a huge priority on work-life balance which makes this a very pleasant place to work and a great company to stay at long-term.

Consthere is a huge co-op program but they only hire around 5 new college hires each year so this is not the company to choose if you're looking for an internship/co-op that will be a sure full time job after graduation.

Competitive culture with healthcare changing everyday. The industry is currently unstable due to uncertainty of ACA.

I have been working at Ethicon Endo-Surgery full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEES supports a work-life balance and respects the idea everyone has a family.

ConsManagement / upper management still act under the "good ol' boys club." Don't forget your khaki pants and blue blazer.

Product line getting old. Clueless HR. Credo is dead.

Customer Facing (Former Employee)

I worked at Ethicon Endo-Surgery full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood company name, pay and benefits with J&J behind it. Ethicon management open to new ideas and business markets.

ConsTerrible HR in general for J&J. Many decisions regarding staffing and cuts come from J&J corporate Vs allowing operating companies who understand their business to hit numbers. Cuts eliminate "job types" regardless of performance. So, top players can be out a job, if the cut hits the job they are in that day. Lower performing, including those on formal performance improvements are not impacted if their job is not designated. So - general sentiment is that your performance will help your rating. But if you promote or move to a new job, your top performing skills won't help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job protecting your top talent. I have stolen many of them at my new company.

It's been rough.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ethicon Endo-Surgery full-time for more than a year

ProsThe sales reps are generally quality individuals with a high emphasis on clinical knowledge. Depending on where you land, the teamwork aspect can be very beneficial.

ConsThe leadership is highly focused on having yes men. They do not appreciate questions about why. Nor are they open to innovation.

A company in decline

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ethicon Endo-Surgery full-time

ProsThey take care of employees well.

ConsNo internal capability to execute much of anything. Most jobs/employees are so narrow in their skills and focus they cannot execute simple projects. They compensate by hiring costly contract help which does not work very well.
Company losing market share and unable to successful launch any new innovative products despite years of high investment in developing new products.

Advice to Senior ManagementJ+J is best at buying new ideas from start ups and growing them. Stick to this model.

Worked for Ethicon Endo-Surgery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ethicon Endo-Surgery reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ethicon Endo-Surgery CEO Kevin Lobo. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Ethicon Endo-Surgery employees.