Ethicon Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
3.4
Alex Gorsky

Pros
  • Great benefits, good salary and compensation (in 4 reviews)

• Everyone really enjoys their job and there are a lot of great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 3 layoffs (either in J&J or Ethicon) in 3 years makes employees nervous (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company! Cares about employers.

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Cornelia, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Cornelia, GA

I have been working at Ethicon

Pros

The teamwork was excellent and motivates all of us!

Cons

None that I can think of.

n/a

2. Medical Device Sales

I worked at Ethicon

Pros

Company has changed over the last few years. Salary relatively generous.

Cons

Lack of strategic direction and inconsistent expectations from management team. Lack of respect for tenured sales professional.

Be more consistent with developmental expectations. Promote based of abilities and not favoritism.

3. Management needs to improve communication with employees

I have been working at Ethicon

Pros

Wonderful people. Great benefits. Great Credo. Production associates work to provide high quality products. Many brilliant engineers.

Cons

No personal growth. Poor leadership from management. Mandatory overtime which leaves no home/life balance. No recognition of talent. Management relies on what others say about your performance as they spend no time with you to see you in action. It is becoming less of a family environment. Now you must watch for others who are trying to hinder your progress to make themselves stand out as over achievers.

Follow your Credo. Make management get involved in their departments.

5. Fantastic Learning Experience

I worked at Ethicon (more than a year)

Pros

Learned so much and I have to say, the clients in my territory were friendly. Reps from all over the country and the world are super friendly and I do miss them.Top lesson learned is one of resiliency. I miss my former clients and have received updates from them over the years!

Cons

TM uncaring about territory and could not tell you one personal intimate fact about me. However, I learned to stand on my own two feet and covered accounts "long forgotten"-- a fact not realized until my departure from the company. Loved the company, but was treated like an outsider by TM and peers from the start. Advice for future reps-push for assignment within the region/state you reside.

TMs would benefit from building a personal relationship with their reps. Utilize the staff/sales drive with rep as an opportunity to build bridges and encourage communications.

6. Great Company and Products!

I worked at Ethicon

Pros

Products are great and innovation is the key word. Focus on real product development with customer as the center. Good compensation.

Cons

Leadership and missing the boat, too much politics and new leaders not committed to Ethicon past and future.

Merges can be good to the way the Company reaches out to its customers so they make sense to Sales & Marketing; that doesn't mean we should merge all the way to R&D. There's not synergy and lots of cultural differences between 2 companies with different products and history.

7. It starts off great, but as time passes you begin to quickly notice its not as great as you thought it would have been

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Ethicon as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's a large established company which looks great on your resume. The campus is nice and the work-to-life balance is very adequate. Most people are at the very least professionally courteous when they pass you in the hall.

Cons

Lacks mentoring and coaching opportunity from managers who are over allocated or simply do not wish to work with their direct report. It is not an ethnically diverse environment and at times can come off as somewhat classist.

8. Ethicon

Current Intern - ABS Process Engineering Co-op in Cornelia, GA
    Current Intern - ABS Process Engineering Co-op in Cornelia, GA

I have been working at Ethicon as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good, and they give you lots of hands on experience for future use in the engineering field

Cons

Sometimes there is downtime so it can get a little boring, and since it is an FDA regulated company there is alot training associated with all of the FDA regulatory rules.

9. Very toxic work environment and only getting worse

I have been working at Ethicon

Pros

-Johnson and Johnson company
    -Best products on the market
    -JnJ Benefits
    -most employees work less than 20 hours a week, but will act like they work 60

Cons

-horrendous culture (the young talent is leaving by the droves, the only employees that are sticking around are old reps who are making a lot of money)
    -leadership lacks integrity, honesty, and direction
    -It is not about the product or the customer, it is about corporate politics (definition of bureaucracy)
    -no influence over your business
    -everything is going to contracts and surgeons are losing their buying power
    -they continue to downsize the sales force and are heading to a third party salesforce model.
    -If your young and hungry avoid this company like the plague.

Management needs to read the Credo and actually live by it. You have forgotten that it is your employees who built this company. You are losing and will continue to lose the best talent in your company. The future is not bright, you may not see the consequences of your actions today, but the business will surely reflect in the future. If you are management and you are reading this you wouldn't agree, because your habit to ignore reason and the truth in order to protect your business will eventually come to an end. Ride the wave as long as you can and good luck when it crashes.

10. Very busy yet very relaxed environment

Former Contractor - Chemist in Cornelia, GA
    Former Contractor - Chemist in Cornelia, GA

I worked at Ethicon as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

People were very helpful and professional.

Cons

Not enough time to train all the new employees effectively before assigning them their tasks.

11. 6 Month Co-op

I have been working at Ethicon

Pros

-beautiful, rennovated facility
    -lots of hands on work
    -get to participate in vital projects
    -may get to travel depending on title/department

Cons

-atmosphere/hours/experience depends on your manager because you work very closely with them