Etsy

Updated November 11, 2014
3.5

Etsy CEO Chad Dickerson
Chad Dickerson

An incredible development culture, slightly confused product management.

I worked at Etsy

Pros

The amount to be learned from the Etsy engineering and ops teams is without comparison. In terms of managing the engineering side of a company, Etsy clearly has it nailed. A very kind environment in many ways.

Cons

All of their focus on fixing the infrastructure over the years seems to have led to lagging product development. They look to be repairing this now.

Want to work hard, make an impact and never be thanked and over-managed?

I worked at Etsy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At one point I managed a single person and had three managers over me. All three had absolutely no idea what I was working on, despite sharing weekly updates, reports, invites to important meetings. Would try to meet with direct manager and she repeatedly cancelled, didn't show up, etc. Was offered a position that required more work, responsibilities and told I wouldn't get a raise.

Cons

Women make less than men.
    One raise after 4 years and after two promotions.

Hire better managers and review your managers properly.

Great culture and employees are treated with respect

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

I'm a new engineer, and I'm loving my time at Etsy. The culture is very unique, and there seems to be a strong emphasis on people not being a-holes to one another. I'm treated with a lot of respect, despite being relatively junior, and am working on things that I enjoy. One of the best things about this job is the work-life balance -- my managers take the stance that working 24/7 doesn't improve your performance at all, so you should take what breaks are needed to make sure you're performing at your best. Not a single complaint really.

Cons

As some other people have said, it's a little unclear how promotions and such work.

From an intern's perspective....

Former Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to have on your resume. Relaxed and perfect if you aren't a driven type-a personality. if it's more important to have friends at work then building a career path, this is a good company for you. no judgement, as i understand how important it is to like the people you work with but you do have to sacrifice something to get that here.

Cons

lack of bigger vision, weak management, no protocol for reviews or advancement. all seems to be done on a whim.

etsy isn't a start up anymore so the company needs to run more smoothly if they want to be taken seriously by future employees.

Pretentious and Underwhelming

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Etsy full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you're not really about work. Fun people, lots of social stuff going on, lots of free time and mental cycles to devote to other life things like working out or reading or taking care of kids. Flashy office.

Cons

You are probably going to bleed skills a bit from lack of practice. Low hiring standards, so you're not really working with the best or brightest. Very cliquish and political. It seemed like most of the interesting work was hoarded by a few people, and the rest were fighting over the scraps. If you are not an uber-hipster, you're probably not going to fit in very well. Extremely weak management can't seem to move the needle on anything. Also, negotiate your starting salary well, because adjustments are few and far between.

Try to infuse some accountability into the culture, maybe take things seriously once in a while.

Support

I worked at Etsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lunch provided two-three days a week, fully stocked kitchen with good food, nice desks and chairs.

Cons

Lack of skilled managers leading departments, department direction is kept a secret or not even thought out. Little to no room for career advancement and/or growth. Pay is very very low, and not commensurate to skills and work performed. Reviews are based completely on feelings, and not about productivity and professional contribution. Management has no loyalty to low-tier workers, and offers no room for upward mobility. Only the very few succeed.

Focus on growth and productivity, and reward employees for achievements. Pay salaries people can live on and that people deserve. Learn to balance the expectations of others, for example, don't be swayed by employees complaining that their feelings are hurt before looking at all the facts and circumstances.

Help people build small businesses

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to do work that is actually beneficial to people. The company culture is pretty good and the work is really interesting.

Cons

The career advancement track is shrouded in mystery and there seems to be a disconnect between Snr. Management and the work that's actually happening.

A classic love-hate relationship

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company values and culture are uniquely great. It's a very quirky place. Benefits are great too with a lot of time flexibility.

Cons

We used to be naive and not know what we're doing, but it was a lot of fun. Now we have too many ambitious careerists that are looking to coast, say no a lot, and don't know what they're doing. Party's over.

Hire professional managers or learn how to manage if you don't know how. Because it's killing us.

"Over-Hyped Culture"

I have been working at Etsy full-time

Pros

Great space and is a good place to build an online marketplace at scale.

Cons

The pitch is that the company is a "startup" with growth and promotional path. The reality is the company hired poorly, and is reeling from bureaucracy and ineffective managers.

Etsy people are pretentious to the users, and some drank too much of the Kool-aid.

Director Support

Current Employee - Director Support in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Director Support in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Etsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent Sellers. Great repeat buyers. Marketplace humming along.

Cons

Senior Management is missing the big picture and don't know what to do

Hire leaders